stupid reason for people to not like 'arrested'

curbyourself

[1]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 9

When the show was around the middle of the 1st season i tried to convince everyone at my school to watch 'arrested' and i got a lot of people to see it, but...

the next day i asked them if they liked it and some people loved it but most of the students were saying-

"I didn't think it was funny because i didn't know when to laugh" and "there is no laugh track so its not funny" and "the show is not funny because i don't understand the concept of this comedy"

this proved to me that some people are not smart enough to understand 'arrested' and that only smart people can understand this show...

my point is that the show got cancelled because a lot of people are too stupid to understand when to laugh!!!!!!!!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jimbo_001

[2]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 56
    Exactly. People have to watch these shows rather than watch them while doing work or chores so they can understand them and be more entertained  than regular laugh track sitcoms that tell people when to laugh despite the unfunny situation. The same is with the bad ratings of my favourite show Scrubs but at least it gets 6 seasons. All the smart shows with subtlety and clever jokes never last as long as (haha, he tripped over a chair) sitcoms.

jacksback21

[3]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 28
    Yeah, Arrested Development is to clever for some people. Although I have found a great way to get people into it is by saying, "It might be to clever for you" and then they have to watch it to prove you wrong.

IAMDK

[4]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 3
    finnaly someone else gets it, teh people who hate this show are the same people who hate anime and scrubs, and borat, stuff like that. Its too intelectual for all of george bush's friends

Darth-Revan45

[5]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 20
    IAMDK wrote:
    finnaly someone else gets it, teh people who hate this show are the same people who hate anime and scrubs, and borat, stuff like that. Its too intelectual for all of george bush's friends

Borat was brillilant, so is Scrubs, and I do enjoy SOME Anime so I am the non "heruh heruh doodie" idiot, but Dubya ain't that dumb .

st_hubbins

[6]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    IAMDK wrote:

That's quite the sweeping generalization.

I agree that it's ridiculous that people dismiss a show because a lack of a laugh track, and Arrested Development is meant for people with a higher sense of humor, but it's not fair to say that people are dumb if they don't like it.

Also, you've lumped anime all into one category. AD and Scrubs are specific shows, but it's insane that you would say that people who don't enjoy an entire genre are unintelligent. You're basically saying that all anime is intellectual which is just not true.

SN4291

[7]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    IAMDK wrote:

I thought Borat was okay, but I LOVE Scrubs, as can be seen from my icon. I used to dig anime, but, not a big fan anymore.

Darth-Revan45

[8]Dec 22, 2006
    SN4291 wrote:
    IAMDK wrote:

I thought Borat was okay, but I LOVE Scrubs, as can be seen from my icon. I used to dig anime, but, not a big fan anymore.

In my opinion, Dr Cox is funnier than J.D.

danigro89

[9]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 37
    Critics like it because they understand the clever inside jokes that this show has to offer. People in general don't watch the show because of that reason, they'd rather watch shows with laugh tracks when they understand the jokes. I love this show and single camera shows because of the jokes that understand from the episodes.

gogetenkusu

[10]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 19
    Laugh tracks are evil. Consider "The Wedge". They use a laugh track every 2 seconds which adds up to 660 times in one episode with maybe 2-3 actual jokes.

Daniel777C

[11]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 31
    I ****ing hate laugh tracks. Even though I've seen pretty much every episode of Seinfeld, Friends and Will & Grace.
    People who have seen at least three episodes of Arrested Development and still didn't get one joke or laughed once deserve a big slap.

Drakken_Shego

[12]Dec 24, 2006
    • level: 15
    curbyourself wrote:

When the show was around the middle of the 1st season i tried to convince everyone at my school to watch 'arrested' and i got a lot of people to see it, but...

the next day i asked them if they liked it and some people loved it but most of the students were saying-

"I didn't think it was funny because i didn't know when to laugh" and "there is no laugh track so its not funny" and "the show is not funny because i don't understand the concept of this comedy"

this proved to me that some people are not smart enough to understand 'arrested' and that only smart people can understand this show...

my point is that the show got cancelled because a lot of people are too stupid to understand when to laugh!!!!!!!!!!

LMFAO! I agree! Most of the shows I watched when growing up had no laugh tracks. And because of my weird sense of humor(trust me it's weird! I laugh more than anyone when I watch things cause I'll find things that aren't supposed to be funny and they aren't to everyone else but I just die of laughter over it!) I could laugh at things without that annoying crap! And actually shows I have seen with the laugh track, the laugh track will come on when it's something the people who created the show thinks could be funny and it totally isn't.
    Anyways, people who don't know when to laugh cause there is no laugh track shouldn't be allowed out in public, cause that just proves they don't know how to do things on their own and don't pay attention! I mean how can you not know when to laugh!?!?!?!?!?!? If something is funny, you laugh! Those people are TRULY DUMB!

Drakken_Shego

[13]Dec 24, 2006
    • level: 15
    Darth-Revan45 wrote:
    IAMDK wrote:

Borat was brillilant, so is Scrubs, and I do enjoy SOME Anime so I am the non "heruh heruh doodie" idiot, but Dubya ain't that dumb .

That was a really stupid and so not true thing to say IAMDK! I voted for Bush and support him and I LOVE this show! It's definitly one of my all-time faves and I get all the jokes! *sarcastically* Oh yeah, this show is just too intellectual for me! Just shut up with your hatred towards the President! It has nothing to do with the show! If you wanna bash the President go to a bashing site!

fiveironbell

[14]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 11
    I am a fan of the traditional laugh track-enhanced sitcom (a dying breed) as long as they're funny (which now isn't the case), but I do love the high-level humor in such shows as AD and Scrubs.

Unfortunately, people just aren't smart anymore, and can only laugh at stupid potty humor and sex jokes.

helserj

[15]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    IAMDK wrote:

Harsh words my friend. I don't think I've run across anyone who "hates" any of these things and I'm not sure where GWB fits into any of this discussion. I think it's fair to say viewers didn't get it or it's not their kind of humor but I don't think it's correct to assume it's specific to a particular political ideology.

To that end, I didn't particulary care for Borat---YIKES according to your assessment I'm apparently not intellectual enough to 'get it.' Ironically though- I didn't feel like the jokes in this movie were so very intellectually sharp, in fact quite the opposite. They were rather in-your-face (no Borat pun intended) almost along the lines of that Jackass Movie stuff. I guess I don't really 'get' that sort of shocking me because it's so gross or outragous kind of humor- that doesn't seem particularly clever to me.

I like to think AD is in catagory way above that kind of humor, the kind that makes you laugh a few minutes later because the joke was so well excuted you didn't get it the first time around.

I think you have point in that AD was sad testiment to America's perhaps lazy intellect in that people don't want to put the effort into grasping the deeply intergrated gags of a show like this, but let's bring people around to this kind of humor not alienate them by classifying them as being unworthy of enjoying this kind of great TV.

I wish we had more shows like AD - I think it is not only intellectually stimulating it's a great commentary on American culture. It grasps almost every aspect of what IS truly wrong with American ideology and goofs on it.

priest17

[16]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    st_hubbins wrote:
    IAMDK wrote:

...Also, you've lumped anime all into one category. AD and Scrubs are specific shows, but it's insane that you would say that people who don't enjoy an entire genre are unintelligent. You're basically saying that all anime is intellectual which is just not true.

Im think he ment people who say they dont like anime at all based on one show(e.x. naruto) But back to the subject. To me the laugh-track matter is opposite. Its just to tacky to tell the audience what's funny

helserj

[17]Dec 27, 2006
    I know there are few shows that use the "laugh track" but I think many shows are in front of a live audience. I'm never sure if they're holding up that "laugh" sign though or if people are just giggly at those tapings.

Darth-Revan45

[18]Dec 27, 2006
    helserj wrote:
    I know there are few shows that use the "laugh track" but I think many shows are in front of a live audience. I'm never sure if they're holding up that "laugh" sign though or if people are just giggly at those tapings.

I think that "Cheers", "Fraiser" and "Seinfeld" are great examples of how to be funny, with an audience.

curbyourself

[19]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    i agree that some shows are funny and they have a laugh track such as 'Seinfeld' and 'Fraiser' but most shows with these laugh tracks are just plain stupid because most of the jokes in the show are not funny but the creators of the show want it to be funny and make the audience think its funny but it truly isnt funny.

helserj

[20]Dec 28, 2006
    I think we can all agree laugh tracks only serve to annoy these days, but I really don't think they're used much anymore, I think they're live audiences. I know that I laugh a little more when I see something in person like a funny play or something like that, you sort of get sucked into the show. If I was watching the same thing at home I probably won't laugh quite so much so may be that's why the live audiences seem like laugh tracks. It seems to me that shows that are not filmed in front of a live audience use a lot more music and sound effects.