stupid reason for people to not like 'arrested'

larsao3

[41]Jan 12, 2007
    • level: 9
    I agree with all the laugh track bashing. I hate laugh tracks...
    I think that laugh tracks dumb down sitcoms, has anyone seen 'Til Death?
    That seriously has to be the worst TV show I've ever seen...
    I love original sitcoms like Scrubs, Arrested Development, My Name Is Earl and I've recently started to watch 30 Rock and I like it. It reminds me of Arrested Development with it's documentary style

Anywaste, death to laugh tracks and I will allways miss Arrested Development. Hope there's a movie.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

curbyourself

[42]Jan 12, 2007

these crappy shows with laughs tracks have a name.......

their called "s-h-i-tcoms"

ElmisOriginal

[43]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 16
    Hey fellow AR fans, this guy called kuririnsan (url for profile - http://www.tv.com/users/kuririnsan/profile.php wrote quite an interesting (by that I mean he gave it a f***ing 0.0)review about AR. Perhaps he is one of these people that hasn't got the right stuff to get AR, just puttin' it out there, makin' no implications or accusatations, just, lettin' you all know.

Darth-Revan45

[44]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 20
    ElmisOriginal wrote:
    Hey fellow AR fans, this guy called kuririnsan (url for profile - http://www.tv.com/users/kuririnsan/profile.php wrote quite an interesting (by that I mean he gave it a f***ing 0.0)review about AR. Perhaps he is one of these people that hasn't got the right stuff to get AR, just puttin' it out there, makin' no implications or accusatations, just, lettin' you all know.

Oh I got it.

curbyourself

[45]Jan 19, 2007
    people  just don't understand the show...

marysuperfly

[46]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 6

I do think that a lot of people just couldn't get the humor without someone or something telling them "it is time to laugh now" or "this is funny."  I don't have a problem with those shows, but I consider myself smart enough to judge when something is funny and when it isn't. 

I also think that AD is a very clever show and it takes very clever people to enjoy it and find the humor that is, at times, hidden in the crevices.  You have to use your brain and think...get things a minute after it happens sometimes.  Unfortunately, I think too many people like obvious "oops I just farted" humor.

TheOCfan

[47]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 28

marysuperfly wrote:
     I think too many people like obvious "oops I just farted" humor.

lol! It's true though. You have to be at least a bit intelligent to understand/appreciate AD. I just saw this episode so it's still in my head, when Michael takes JLD's dog Justice to the vet and the vet's like, "Justice can't see, because Justice is blind." For some reason I think that's hilarious, just the way the vet says it...but if you had no idea what "justice is blind" meant, you wouldn't find it funny.

Now, of course not everyone gets every single joke, but I think those with...a lower IQ...are less appreciative of the show's humor.

Darth-Revan45

[48]Jan 29, 2007
    TheOCfan wrote:

marysuperfly wrote:
    I think too many people like obvious "oops I just farted" humor.

lol! It's true though. You have to be at least a bit intelligent to understand/appreciate AD. I just saw this episode so it's still in my head, when Michael takes JLD's dog Justice to the vet and the vet's like, "Justice can't see, because Justice is blind." For some reason I think that's hilarious, just the way the vet says it...but if you had no idea what "justice is blind" meant, you wouldn't find it funny.

Now, of course not everyone gets every single joke, but I think those with...a lower IQ...are less appreciative of the show's humor.

XD, us smart people should get that one. I a ma lot smarter than my friends [IE: they watch "Jackass", I watch this], and they would think this show is so stupid.

danel44

[49]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 1

Unfortunately, in today's TV world, the success of comedies is very limited. Witness the fact that Two And A Half Men is looked upon as the pinnacle of comedic TV (taking into account shows with some sort of track record/ longevity). This isn't a bad show, but I'd hate to think that this...or Ugly Betty...or Everybody Hates Chris would be IT when it comes to comedy.

At the same time, we are still bombarded with new episodes of shows such as According To Jim, King Of Queens (which got less interesting when Leah Rehmini did),Yes, Dear (though I think they finally killed that one), The George Lopez Show and a show I never found a single thing funny about...The Bernie Mac Show. These shows are having or have hung on well past their expiry dates because there are no new good comedies. Scrubs is in danger of joining this group...just not yet. 

The New Adventures Of Old Christine? Would this have any success if it didn't feature someone from Seinfeld? The War At Home? I actually like this show better than I first did...but it's still garbage. How I Met Your Mother? Who cares, meet her already and leave us alone.

The unfortunate thing about Arrested Development was that it's not a good fit for this current comic sensibility, where animation dominates the airwaves and reality TV sucks up quality time during peek viewing hours. The rest of the time, they just show game show after game show...does anyone else agree that Deal Or No Deal is nearing the end of the line?

Arrested Development was a rare show in that it was intelligent and it was funny and, unfortunately, it went over the heads of the casual viewer. Unfortunately, you almost have to have either luagh tracks or animation and indicate to people what is funny instead of allowing them to find out for themselves.

AD might have been better served on HBO or Showtime. Curb Your Enthusiasm has done well for a number of years and I have recently just started to get to know this show...watching the first season DVD and I could only imagine having Curb and AD back to back...probably the two most intelligent comedies made in recent years.

I do believe AD went down fighting...a fight they were destined not to win...and it was a shame that FOX started hyping the show after they had pulled the plug.   

TheOCfan

[50]Jan 30, 2007
    danel44 wrote:

AD might have been better served on HBO or Showtime. Curb Your Enthusiasm has done well for a number of years and I have recently just started to get to know this show...watching the first season DVD and I could only imagine having Curb and AD back to back...probably the two most intelligent comedies made in recent years.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been watching a bit of Curb on DVD recently, and it's hilarious. But how do you think it would fare on network TV? It would probably have the same fate as AD. For one thing, they'd have to take all the swearing out. They could bleep it like they do in AD, but it wouldn't have the same affect as it does for AD.

HBO could have done wonders for AD. *sigh*....

Darth-Revan45

[51]Jan 30, 2007
    TheOCfan wrote:
    danel44 wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been watching a bit of Curb on DVD recently, and it's hilarious. But how do you think it would fare on network TV? It would probably have the same fate as AD. For one thing, they'd have to take all the swearing out. They could bleep it like they do in AD, but it wouldn't have the same affect as it does for AD.

I am with EVERYTHING both of you said.

BDDixon

[52]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    Some of you guys are being to hard on non-Arrested fans. This show has a very complex storyline, but I don't think it is particularly "smart" humor, and I don't think you have to be smart (or a Democrat) to like the show. I also don't think that a show needs a laughtrack to be successful, because the Office and other comedies have survived without it. I just think the show is different. I mean, shows like Friends, Seinfield, and even the Office are shows with 30 minute stories that people can tune in and out of, they can skip episodes, they can join in any time they want. If a viewer tunes in to AD mid-season, they aren't going to get half the jokes. Notice how the narrator Ron Howard is always having to recap certain stories and things that happened. It is just a hard show to jump into because if you miss one episode you miss a lot of the story. The format is great for devoted fans like us who watch every episode anyways, but it can be confusing and unfunny to casual viewers.

I also think that there is a group of people who just don't like that kind of humor. They would rather have the in-your-face slapstick kind of humor rather than the subtle inside jokes and puns Arrested offers. Some people love it, some just dont get it.

curbyourself

[54]Feb 4, 2007
    Darth-Revan45 wrote:
    TheOCfan wrote:
    danel44 wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been watching a bit of Curb on DVD recently, and it's hilarious. But how do you think it would fare on network TV? It would probably have the same fate as AD. For one thing, they'd have to take all the swearing out. They could bleep it like they do in AD, but it wouldn't have the same affect as it does for AD.

I am with EVERYTHING both of you said.

i agree SO MUCH!!!!!

Daidoji_Tangen

[55]Feb 8, 2007
    • level: 11
    BDDixon wrote:
    Some of you guys are being to hard on non-Arrested fans. This show has a very complex storyline, but I don't think it is particularly "smart" humor, and I don't think you have to be smart (or a Democrat) to like the show. I also don't think that a show needs a laughtrack to be successful, because the Office and other comedies have survived without it. I just think the show is different. I mean, shows like Friends, Seinfield, and even the Office are shows with 30 minute stories that people can tune in and out of, they can skip episodes, they can join in any time they want. If a viewer tunes in to AD mid-season, they aren't going to get half the jokes. Notice how the narrator Ron Howard is always having to recap certain stories and things that happened. It is just a hard show to jump into because if you miss one episode you miss a lot of the story. The format is great for devoted fans like us who watch every episode anyways, but it can be confusing and unfunny to casual viewers.

I agree with you 100%

When AD was on TV, I didn't like it. I don't know why. I just saw an episode or two (out of order) and didn't care for it. Later, I read about it in the paper from local movie guy who tends to have very similiar tastes to me. I ignore it for a while.

Later at the movie store, I have nothing to rent but want to. So, I pick Disc 1 of Season 1 remembering what the movie guy said I decide to give it another try.

Since then I've been obsessed with this show, and I'm ordering the Seasons online. It became one of my favorite shows of all time very quickly. Hell, I'm even looking into campaigains to bring back (it worked for family guy and that's not nearly as good as AD, even back when it was at its best).

So, yeah, the needing to see previous episodes hurts it. But honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's great to see blue marks around the house after Tobias gave it up (I just finished off Season 2, so I don't know if he's going to try it again or if that was just one last hurrah).

What people need to do to get others interested is to show them the series from the beginning (I'm doing that to my sister and probaly her best friend since she's over so much). Then they can enjoy AD at it's fullest.

As for laugh tracks: I don't think it's stupidity. I think it's just being a sheep. They may be very intelligent, but they need some sort of authority/crowd to tell them what to do. If you watched it with them and laughed at whatever you thought was funny, they'd probaly laugh along and enjoy the show (since they know what to laugh). It's kinda sad really.

Personal opinion about laugh tracks: I don't care. I tune them out so much that I forgot many of the shows that were listed have laugh tracks. Though when I was younger, they freaked me out. Since most of the stuff they laughed was unfunny, I wondered if something was wrong with me (or them).

ElmisOriginal

[56]Feb 10, 2007
    ElmisOriginal wrote:
    Hey fellow AR fans, this guy called kuririnsan (url for profile - http://www.tv.com/users/kuririnsan/profile.php wrote quite an interesting (by that I mean he gave it a f***ing 0.0)review about AR. Perhaps he is one of these people that hasn't got the right stuff to get AR, just puttin' it out there, makin' no implications or accusatations, just, lettin' you all know.

Good point ElmisOriginal, you really nipped it in the bud with that one. Maybe he hasn't got the right stuff. Wow you've really opened my eyes to the wonders of Arrested Devlopment, I'm going to get Season 1 on DVD, anyone care to follow suit?

TheOCfan

[57]Feb 11, 2007

Daidoji_Tangen wrote:
    So, yeah, the needing to see previous episodes hurts it. But honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Seeing previous episodes helps, but I don't think it's necessary. I started watching AD somewhere in the middle, and I still thought it was hilarious. I didn't even see it from the beginning until it ended and I got the DVD's.

ElmisOriginal

[58]Feb 13, 2007
    Once again I have weeded out another dumbass who doesn't get the show right here is the url for Crazyeyes1234's review of AR (http://www.tv.com/arrested-development/show/17005/reviews.html?review_id=18695&tag=reviews;continue;5), the url for his profile - http://www.tv.com/users/crazyeyes1234/profile.php if you feel like abusing him. Now here's my criticism of his criticism.
    1-The dumbass calls the show stupid, but riddled throughout the review are spelling and grammar mistakes (he writes "this guys family" instead of 'this guy's family'). Hey hypocrite, next time you call something stupid, do it in a way that doesn't make yourself appear that way.
    2-Given that this is just his opinion and he is not obliged to provide his reasons behind his feelings, it would help if he did. That way, Crazyeyes, you don't come across as an arrogant wanker. He says "this show sucks" many times and his reasoning behind that is "the characters suck, they are really bad at acting," hey dumbass, the characters don't act, the actors act, and they're very good actors.
    3-His favourites (I'm Australian and we spell it normally down here) are shows which show little or no sign of intelligence in their content - that's not to say that some of them are good - so I've taken the liberty to list them and my criticism:
    Malcom in the Middle - An unfortunately unfunny show, a rare occurrence in a single camera comedy. It also stars one of the greatest overactors of our time, Frankie "Where is he now?" Muniz.
    Pimp my Ride - No explanation needed.
    Punk'd - Figures he would like this, as its host is one of the biggest hypocrites ever (Ashton Kutcher). Seriously, what position is he in to criticise other arrogant Hollywood celebrities.
    Viva la Bam - This is worse than Jackass, and far less funnier. You do not want to know why I hate Jackass, and I don't want to tell you, I don't have the time.

There you are, another person without the brains to enjoy the show.
    Edited on 02/13/2007 10:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Ivana_M

[59]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 5

Yeah i think it was too clever for some people to understand, I got alot of people to watch it, I thought it was the funniest show I'd ever seen. I think you had to know alot of world facts and all that stuff to laugh at some of the jokes they made but cmon that show was awesome, I would even laugh at the commentary the cast did on the dvd! I'm so glad i bought all 3 seasons woohoo!

I miss the show : (

ElmisOriginal

[60]Feb 14, 2007
    Good news, I may have gotten an infidel's review deleted, I'm not sure but when I looked for it, it wasn't there. Anyway, keep fighting the good fight.