We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

stupid reason for people to not like 'arrested'

  • Avatar of ElmisOriginal

    ElmisOriginal

    [61]Feb 16, 2007
    • member since: 01/10/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 139
    What happened to this forum? It rocks! It rocks big time!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of curbyourself

    curbyourself

    [62]Feb 19, 2007
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,575

    ElmisOriginal wrote:
    What happened to this forum? It rocks! It rocks big time!

    what did happen to this forum???

    this forum does rock!!!

    -creator of this forum

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of curbyourself

    curbyourself

    [63]Feb 19, 2007
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,575

    seriously,

    back to the subject..

    i've been watching my arrested development dvds and i just keep on laughing and laughing....and laughing and laughing.

    and i also catch things that i didn't before and it just makes me smile to know that i can always watch my arrested dvds and laugh everytime i watch them...

     this show=  funny.smart.original.underappreciated.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RandomWeasel

    RandomWeasel

    [64]Feb 19, 2007
    • member since: 04/09/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 37
    While it's (obviously) not fair to say that EVERYONE who dislikes the show is stupid (it just don't fit everyones sense of humor), I would say that the general public didn't like it largely because it went over their heads. Most people won't get every joke, and you really should be OK with that, but without a laugh track and since AD doesn't really rely on shallow humor, the general public is left feeling dumb because they're not being told to laugh.

    It is amusing that the people admitted that that's why they didn't like it, because the effect of a laugh track is supposed to be subconscious. Laugh tracks are OK, though, when used correctly (but I've rarely ever laughed with them!), however, we're in the middle of general creative decay these days and dull current sitcoms use laugh tracks excessively to try and reclaim the former glory of older sitcoms with laugh tracks. It's sad, really. I used to think I was being bias, as many of my favorite shows are quite old, but it seems like TV acting, in general, has really taken a dive. I watch The Golden Girls, Quantum Leap, and such and I find myself captivated by the believability of the actors portraying the characters, which is so rare nowadays (to be fair, though, most current systems use character archetypes so old and warn it's obvious it's fake). And that's to say nothing about the brilliant writing. Nowadays, characters are no longer characters so much as they are vessels for jokes, which brings the quality down on the show tremendously. That's probably why I'm drawn to shows with strong writing in the dialog and distinct characters (Scrubs, NewsRadio, and Arrested Development, to name a few).

    I blame TV executives, really, for not taking risks. Sure, the average TV watcher isn't too bright, but they sort of groom them that way from the start. When I was a kid, which wasn't all that long ago, the cartoons I watched were quote intelligent and easily bridged the gap between child and adult humor. Cartoons today? On average they treat children like their brains are made of rocks. So they push the TV-watching mind to 'veg out' so to speak, when good, intelligent shows defy this practice by requiring you to pay attention. That was a big handicap for Arrested Development, you have to actually watch it to enjoy it, but that quality is what really makes the show enjoyable and worth several viewings (I'll usually change channels from a Friends episode I've seen a few times, but generally won't for AD). It's also densely interwoven (although makes up for it by explaining certain things when the need arises), which can make the show even more confusing for people. I seriously need to get the DVDs 'cause, as much as I like the show, I've never seen it from the beginning (and there's a whole lot of episodes I've yet to see).

    I've rambled too long XD I'll leave saying that shows that are typically intelligent or don't pander to the 'lowest common denominator' of audiences tend to be very 'fringe', beloved dearly by a few and often critically acclaimed, but struggled almost every year with cancellation (Scrubs, NewsRadio, Arrested Development and so on). They're also, notably, shuffled around the time slots and placed in slots that are obviously doomed from the start (up against a widely popular hit show or on a Friday night) and get very little advertising - Scrubs is rarely advertised by NBC, possibly because NBC doesn't technically own it (Disney does) and thus would rather spend it's energy on shows it actually owns. I don't remember seeing ANY Arrested Development advertisements when it was on FOX (which probably doomed it from the start, FOX is a notorious show-butcher).
    TV execs simply believe that if they provide a very low standard, they'll get more viewers. And that is, sadly, rather true.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElmisOriginal

    ElmisOriginal

    [65]Feb 20, 2007
    • member since: 01/10/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 139


    curbyourself wrote:

    i've been watching my arrested development dvds and i just keep on laughing and laughing....and laughing and laughing.

    and i also catch things that i didn't before and it just makes me smile to know that i can always watch my arrested dvds and laugh everytime i watch them...

    this show= funny.smart.original.underappreciated.


    That's the beauty of the show, you can watch it over and over again. The main reason you miss stuff is because you're laughing so hard over something you saw before.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElmisOriginal

    ElmisOriginal

    [66]Feb 24, 2007
    • member since: 01/10/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 139
    It's happened again! This forum has trailed off into the shadows. Why? It's definitely the best forum of all time! Where else can you yammer on about the same thing and still have it be read? For god's sake let's get it happening again!

    Now...
    The other day, I told a friend of mine to watch the show. He goes,
    "Meh," like some jackass. So I say,
    "It's better than Scrubs (his favourite show, not that there's anything wrong with that),"
    "I'll take your word for it," was his embittered reply.

    Now is it just me, or has the world gone absolutely crazy. First of all, out of pure anger, I gave him smack upside the head for that stupid remark, then I told him that Scrubs pales in comparison to AR. And he's like, "whatever,"
    Screw him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jimbo_001

    jimbo_001

    [67]Feb 24, 2007
    • member since: 07/12/05
    • level: 56
    • rank: Texas Ranger
    • posts: 10,282

    ElmisOriginal wrote:
    It's happened again! This forum has trailed off into the shadows. Why? It's definitely the best forum of all time! Where else can you yammer on about the same thing and still have it be read? For god's sake let's get it happening again!

    Now...
    The other day, I told a friend of mine to watch the show. He goes,
    "Meh," like some jackass. So I say,
    "It's better than Scrubs (his favourite show, not that there's anything wrong with that),"
    "I'll take your word for it," was his embittered reply.

    Now is it just me, or has the world gone absolutely crazy. First of all, out of pure anger, I gave him smack upside the head for that stupid remark, then I told him that Scrubs pales in comparison to AR. And he's like, "whatever,"
    Screw him.

    1. You're saying "screw him" to one of your friends and calling them a jackass because you don't like the same show? How close are you two?

    2. I agree with him on some level. While AD is my fifth favourite comedy (sixth favourite show), Scubs is my favourite show and it's twice as funny as AD though both shows are cleverly written and too hilarious to need a laugh track.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RandomWeasel

    RandomWeasel

    [68]Feb 24, 2007
    • member since: 04/09/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 37
    I've found that most people who liked Scrubs like Arrested Development (or rather viceversa, since AD has a smaller fanbase and probably wouldn't be cancelled if it had Scrub's slightly larger fanbase), he'd probably like it if he gave it a shot, but it's no big deal.

    Scrubs is nowhere near as good as it used to be, though. TV as a whole seems to be dying.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElmisOriginal

    ElmisOriginal

    [69]Feb 27, 2007
    • member since: 01/10/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 139


    jimbo_001 wrote:

    1. You're saying "screw him" to one of your friends and calling them a jackass because you don't like the same show? How close are you two?

    2. I agree with him on some level. While AD is my fifth favourite comedy (sixth favourite show), Scubs is my favourite show and it's twice as funny as AD though both shows are cleverly written and too hilarious to need a laugh track.



    Don't get me wrong, I like Scrubs, I think it's very funny. Now, a few days after, I asked him if he watched it (AR). He said he did and that it wasn't funny. First of all, he is wrong, dead wrong. Second, he is wrong because he has one of the worst tastes in comedy, why? Here's why:
    -He also doesn't like Curb Your Enthusiasm
    -He laughs hysterically every time, Homer (from The Simpsons) forgets about Maggie, lets face it, that joke has been done so many times, it's painful to watch
    -He likes Jackass (do not get me started on that)
    -He loves American Dad (aka, the second rate Family Guy)
    -He likes the horribly unfunny internet serial, Red Vs. Blue
    -But most of all, HE DOESN'T LIKE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RandomWeasel

    RandomWeasel

    [70]Feb 28, 2007
    • member since: 04/09/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 37
    Well, the thing about humor is that it's very subjective. Not everyone is going to find the same thing funny. That's actually one of the reasons I dislike laugh tracks, because they assume that everyone will find the same things funny. I rather prefer shows without them, like AD or Scrubs, because you can laugh at whatever you think is funny and ignore the jokes you find stupid.

    I've really just taken to ignore it when people don't like my shows because...well, it really doesn't hurt me if they don't. I also make a point to avoid any movie/show recommended by people I know have bad tastes/opposite tastes than I have.

    I still think it's odd he doesn't like it if he likes Scrubs, on average people who have seen both like them. Perhaps he saw a bad episode (which is what happened when I first tried to turn my mother onto Scrubs when it first aired)? Is he a recent Scrubs fan? The humor in that show has, sadly, plummeted in recent years and it's become rather obvious and predictable compared to their brilliant subtle humor of past seasons.

    I try to keep an open mind about people and not judge them for what they watch but... liking Jackass is pretty damning in my opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElmisOriginal

    ElmisOriginal

    [71]Feb 28, 2007
    • member since: 01/10/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 139
    He is a recent fan of Scrubs as he only just started watching it, and he does like that obvious, almost obnoxious kind of humour that you find in many TV shows nowadays. He might have got a bad episode, but I don't think there are any bad AD episodes, also, I directed him to some chicken clips on You Tube and said he didn't find it funny, saying it didn't make any sense (which is weird since he likes shows like Family Guy). And I thank the good sweet lord that someone else doesn't like Jackass.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Daidoji_Tangen

    Daidoji_Tangen

    [72]Mar 1, 2007
    • member since: 11/02/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 3,101
    AD is something you have to see from the start. As much as I hate to say it, I didn't watch it on TV because I saw a few random episodes and didn't get all the jokes. I tried it again from the bginning, and it's my favorite sit-com of all time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RandomWeasel

    RandomWeasel

    [73]Mar 1, 2007
    • member since: 04/09/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 37
    Ah, well then in that case I wouldn't bother with him, because his comedic tastes don't really run with the kind of humor AD has.
    Well, yeah, there aren't really any 'bad' episodes, but there are some that aren't as good as others. When trying to turn someone onto a show it's better to use a universally thought of 'good' episode, rather than one that's everyone least favorite.

    Daidoji_Tangen wrote:
    AD is something you have to see from the start. As much as I hate to say it, I didn't watch it on TV because I saw a few random episodes and didn't get all the jokes. I tried it again from the bginning, and it's my favorite sit-com of all time.


    Not necessarily. I don't think you need to see it from the beginning so much as you need to see several episodes in succession. I didn't see the show when it was on (I only knew it existed and knew absolutely nothing about it), but I saw a few episodes on G4 spaced out over a few weeks. I thought it was funny, but nothing spectacular. I really only got into it because G4 had a 2 hour block on the weekend and seeing 4 episodes in order kind of got me hooked. Seeing it from the start would certainly help, but I think you just need to see them in the right order to know if you like it or not, since it's only then do you get the humor of the show. That's my opinion anyway.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of curbyourself

    curbyourself

    [74]Mar 14, 2007
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,575

    you really do need to watch this show from the beginning because if you don't, you will not understand most of the jokes which cleverly tie into past episodes..

    arrested development + FOX =  BAD 

    =(

    arrested development + some other network = GOOD

    =)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jimbo_001

    jimbo_001

    [75]Mar 15, 2007
    • member since: 07/12/05
    • level: 56
    • rank: Texas Ranger
    • posts: 10,282
    curbyourself wrote:

    you really do need to watch this show from the beginning because if you don't, you will not understand most of the jokes which cleverly tie into past episodes..

    arrested development + FOX =  BAD 

    =(

    arrested development + some other network = GOOD

    =)

    That's not true. I came into the show towards the end of season 2 in Australia (where they aired the show at midnight Mondays from season 1-3 in 2005-06 and also ever show repeats, though if you showed a repeat at an earlier time than the show actually aired new episodes, it doesn't seem logical). So Channel 7 is just as bad as Fox so not every network would be better, Scrubs also airing right before at 11.30pm new episodes, which is how I got into AD in the first place.

    And I found Arrested Development hilarious without seeing any of season 1 or most of season 2, the first episode I saw being Hand to God which was brilliant and I tried to watc h it every Monday night after that, which is tricky since in my old job I could be finishing any time between 10.30 and midnight without knowing ahead of time. Of course, there are running jokes like George Michael's star wars video and Franklin's CD and George Sr and his dolls but all shows are like that and you don't really have to be an intellectual to get most of the jokes, although there are subtle moments in all the episodes and they are cleverly written, like Gob destroying the evidence after the whole episode was based on getting it is really well written but easy to laugh at, just like Tobias' entendres and so on. With the dvds I find jokes that I didn't get before, either because of subtlety or because I've seen previous episodes about it, like the doctor ("He's going to be all right" from the first episode I saw and later saw that before he's gotten them devastated and then relieved or shocked, but always angry - he's a very literal man).

    So I'd say the main problem is advertising. Look at Scrubs, just as cleverly written as AD and ignored until this year when NBC is advertising more (may be wrong, I don't live in America but I've heard... read this on the boards). So it is a stupid reason for people not to like AD because most of the jokes are easy to get if you concentrate a little.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElmisOriginal

    ElmisOriginal

    [76]Mar 27, 2007
    • member since: 01/10/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 139
    While most of the jokes are easy to get people still don't understand the humour (yes humour, we spell it normally in Australia) involved. Take this example, I showed a different friend of mine the episode Afternoon Delight which is the one where Gob is obsessed with his $3000/$4000/$5000/$6300 suit. I was hysterical whenever Gob started going on about his suit and he's sitting there going what's so funny about that? I have never, in my life, met another AD fan in person, probably because most people here haven't heard of it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of curbyourself

    curbyourself

    [77]Mar 31, 2007
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,575

    ElmisOriginal wrote:
    While most of the jokes are easy to get people still don't understand the humour (yes humour, we spell it normally in Australia) involved. Take this example, I showed a different friend of mine the episode Afternoon Delight which is the one where Gob is obsessed with his $3000/$4000/$5000/$6300 suit. I was hysterical whenever Gob started going on about his suit and he's sitting there going what's so funny about that? I have never, in my life, met another AD fan in person, probably because most people here haven't heard of it.

     

    exactly!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of curbyourself

    curbyourself

    [78]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,575

    *cough* *cough*

    this forum is getting lonely..

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RandomWeasel

    RandomWeasel

    [79]Apr 5, 2007
    • member since: 04/09/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 37
    I suppose saying Arrested Development is for intelligent people is incorrect phrasing. Rather, it tends to attract a more intelligent crowd but that by no means means that those who dislike it aren't intelligent.

    It's not a typical sitcom. It doesn't have a laugh track or studio audience and believe it or not, some people need that to find something funny (even though 90% of the time the laugh tracks are cued when something isn't funny - just watch an episode of 'Til Death...). It also doesn't appeal to sensationalism, like a lot of other shows, and again the average TV-viewer needs some random, over the top drama in their TV. Someone needs to cheat on someone, have someone elses baby, that sort of thing. AD just doesn't have appeal to the "typical TV-viewer". Most people can agree that it's pretty stupid to not be able to find something funny unless other people are laughing, thus comes the conclusion that AD is for more intelligent people.

    The jokes are easy to get. But I've seen movies that are pretty self explanatory only to run into people who "don't get it", because nobody breaks it down at the end and says "haha, get it, they were dead all along!" (not really talking about a real movie here, but this explanation applies to a lot of horror/thrillers, doesn't it?). Same concept here, nobody is telling them it's funny, and thus they feel stupid for not being able to tell and don't bother watching.

    Really, though, AD never really stood a chance in this age of Reality TV. Good stories on TV shows are hard to come by these days and tend to be suffocated by the easier to understand, sensationalistic reality TV shows that are much cheaper to produce. That's a foreboding prospect, isn't it? I remember reading an article back in the summer that quotes NBC as saying they were unlikely to renew Scrubs for another season because they were soon to start changing all their programming to reality TV, because it gets higher ratings and is much, much cheaper to produce. TV as an art form is slowly being throttled to death =\
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of curbyourself

    curbyourself

    [80]Apr 5, 2007
    • member since: 09/23/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 1,575

    you are so true my friend..

    the ordinary tv viewers need laugh tracks to laugh..

    but other people are more able to see whats funny without a laugh track and enjoy those certain shows without em'

    (ex: arrested development, the office, scrubs, 30 rock, curb your enthusiasm, extras...)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.