Viewing Party - The Pilot

PampongMaster

[1]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 11

Every Sunday, a new topic for a different episode (always in order) will be put up to discuss, tell our likes and, if any, our dislikes. While posting within the week is more pleasing, feel free to jump in at any time.

This topic will be devoted to discussing The Pilot. Anybody who wants to add there two cents is welcome.

Edited on 09/09/2007 5:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jimbo_001

[2]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 56

It certainly isn't the best episode but it does have some very funny moments.

My favourite line: "They can't arrest a husband and wife for the same crime"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not true"

"I've got the worst (bleeping) attorneys!"

It introduces the characters pretty well and starts a lot of recurring storylines like George Michael's crush on Maeby, George Sr in prison, Tobias' sexual tendencies, and Gob's, well, hilarity. Anyway, a good way to start a great show.

lyghthouse

[3]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 8

Unfortunately, I don't have the DVDs (*sob*) and I haven't seen the pilot episode in awhile...

But, I agree that it was a great introduction to the characters and a wonderful way to start off the show.

My favorite line was from Lucille and really captures, I think, the flavor the the comedy, "Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It makes me want to light myself on fire."

Pandamar

[4]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    Well, It's probably my least favorite episode, but I still like it. I watched both versions, and feel the one that aired on TV is superior. The extended one feels a bit too slow in comparison.

PampongMaster

[5]Sep 10, 2007

I will add more later, when I have rewatched the episode, but for now, I'll just mention a couple of things.

"Illusions, Dad. You don't have time for my illusions!"

I love how Tobias is so wrong about everything and always ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pirates to homosexuals...whatever. It's Tobias.

I love the classic Breakfast line. It always comes first and is the most important thing. You've got to give it to GM...that is true.

sienster

[6]Sep 11, 2007
    Pandamar wrote:
    Well, It's probably my least favorite episode, but I still like it. I watched both versions, and feel the one that aired on TV is superior. The extended one feels a bit too slow in comparison.

Totally agree- it's the least witty of all the AD episodes, and definitely not their best work.

ssimonds1

[7]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 24

It's not the best, that's for sure, but it's anearly perfect set up. Nobody says the foundation is their favorite part of their house but, without a strong foundation you have a crappy house. Same goes for pilots. This pilot (like all great pilots) sets up everything for the rest of the series, the main characters and locations. The only main charachters left out are non family members Kitty and Anyung.

My favorite line:

Lucelle: Michael, look at what the homosexuals have done to me.

Michael: You can't comb that out and reset it?

I have to say that even though the extended piliot on the DVD is a little slower it does set things up much better.

PampongMaster

[8]Sep 12, 2007

I just rewatched it a couple hours ago, so I've got a couple more things to say.

I love the whole setup before the opening credits, and then Ron's"Why is he so happy? Because he decided he's never going tospeak to them again." It's just great.

The beginning of the oh so precious George-Michael and Maeby conflict. I think Michael Cera does a wonderful job very early in the season. It's just fun to watch him squirm...

It was a slow episode, but it defines so many characters so early...the episode wasn't quite as funny as others, mostly because they have no inside jokes to go off yet. This episode is a dozen times funnier to watch after watching the whole series because of all the character quirks that are brought up again and again. Gob comes to mind, mostly. The Aztec tomb, which pops up a few more times, as well as being called Gah-ob, not Job on the news...just great. His little problem with the Alliance(they demand to be taken seriously) and not getting a job at a little kid's party is awesome.

Buster thinks the blue on a map is land, and thinks 18th century business history is just about the same as business in present time(cue panic attack). All gold.

Lucille...well, she needs to naver amke that face again, and she doesn't much care for Gob...interesting. Oh, and she thinks Lindsay's blouse looks better on her husband...who is inspired to act based off a bunch of pirate-dressed homosexuals protesting his inlaw's yaht party. Love it.

Michael getting a job with Sitwell(will come up later, once more) instantly, but turning it down for his son's happiness. However, you gotta love the exchange with his dad. "I quit." "Probably a good career move." Awesome.

All in all a great start to a superb show, and I hope these viewing parties help us all remember the great parts of these episodes and so we can have fun all over again here, reading each other's comments.

ssimonds1

[9]Sep 12, 2007
    Amen Pampong.

Big_Tuna815

[10]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 7
    Ah, the Pilot. It set up so many things that happened in the series later on.

A lot of great moments were mentioned already, but I'm going to bring up another one of my favorites. It's when George Michael and Maeby are making out and the police boats come by. "I knew it was illegal!".

Also, great idea about the viewing parties, Pampong!

idefix7

[11]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 5
    Well, almost everything has been said it's a good introduction but, like most pilots, it's not the best episode around. It serves its purpose though setting up characters and events and whatnot.
    I like to contribute my favorite quote for this ep though. (I just love quotes )

Lindsay: You've had $80,000 worth of cartography lessons. Get us a channel to the ocean.
    Buster: Okay, okay, okay.
    Buster: Obviously this blue part here is the land.

PampongMaster

[12]Sep 13, 2007

Big_Tuna815 wrote:

As if it's an original idea...you know what I'm talking about.

I am liking it so far though, and this is just the Pilot!

Big_Tuna815

[13]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    PampongMaster wrote:

Big_Tuna815 wrote:

As if it's an original idea...you know what I'm talking about.

True, true... It was a good idea to bring the parties over to this board though.

PampongMaster wrote:

I am liking it so far though, and this is just the Pilot!

As am I.

idefix7

[14]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 5
    One thing I forgot to mention which can be easily missed, I love when Georg Michael packs his stuff when they want leave he is packing three Monopoly boards .

ssimonds1

[15]Sep 16, 2007

idefix7 wrote:
    One thing I forgot to mention which can be easily missed, I love when Georg Michael packs his stuff when they want leave he is packing three Monopoly boards .

I noticed that too. Which reminds me of something else. The attic set changes after the Pilot. In the pilot they have a walk out style attic, an actual door seperates the upstairs rooms from the attic but when Geo. Sr. moves into the attic later it's a pull down trap door, type attic.

sienster

[16]Sep 19, 2007
    ssimonds1 wrote:

idefix7 wrote:

I noticed that too. Which reminds me of something else. The attic set changes after the Pilot. In the pilot they have a walk out style attic, an actual door seperates the upstairs rooms from the attic but when Geo. Sr. moves into the attic later it's a pull down trap door, type attic.

Hmm - I never noticed that.