Arrested Development

Good Grief!

Aired Unknown Dec 05, 2004 on Netflix

• One of my (if not the) absolute favorite episodes. The family learns of George Sr.'s death, and this sets off a series of comic events that only the world's most disfunctional family could achieve. A must see!

"Good Grief" of season 2 is one of the most well written and well acted episodes and it consistently rates as one of the best of the series. This is the episode where we see the running gag of the sad Charlie Brown walk, first with George Michael, as he is dumped by his girl friend, and then collapses on the living room floor in the ultimate display of teen depression. He can't fully mourn his loss , however, as his dad informs him that the family has just learned of George Sr.'s death in Mexico. George Sr.'s appearent death sets off a series of some of the best comic events in this groundbreaking series' history. First of all, Buster can't be told because the family fears his reaction. GOB decides to stage the illusion of his career, and be buried alive in his father's place. This should get him on the cover of Poof magazine and revive his reputation after a series of unfortunate performances.

George Michael soon discovers that his grandfather is not dead, and helps him hide in the attic, where he can be witness to his own wake. What unfolds are some classic moments and some of the unforgetable quotes from the show. We get Tobias doing John Wayne and then his Charlie Brown walk. George Michael gives a eulogy for PopPop (as the only family member who knows he's alive) and offers to bring up some salmon rolls. George Sr. replies, "How many times do I gotta tell this kid, chicken wings." Michael's classic line: "It's as Ann as the nose on plain's face." Buster's WWI Stripper uniform. And the colossally funny build up to, and execution of GOB's grand illusion, which goes hysterically wrong.

What a great episode. It was one of the first that I saw and remains one of my favorites!