Arrested Development

Good Grief!

Aired Unknown Dec 05, 2004 on Netflix

• "Pop Pop gets a treat?"

Arrested Development could be defined by any number of its superb episodes throughout its all-too-brief three season run, but I'm not sure there's an episode as fantastic, hilarious and filled with little inside jokes as much as "Good Grief." Sure, I've laughed harder at other episodes, but something about this one just flows. I've seen in a dozen times now, and it just remains as funny as ever every single time. The subtleties that the writers sprinkle throughout remind us why every episode of the show in itself can be considered an event of sorts. There's always a ton of stuff happening, and minor things may have major impacts later in the show.

For those new to the show and need a quick synopsis, here it goes, because trying to explain the episode in depth would require you to have watched every episode up until this point. The Bluth family hired a bounty hunter named Ice to find their father, who was hiding in Mexico. Ice returns and announces that George Michael is dead, and the family all begins to mourn in their strange dysfunctional way. Gob, who is trying to hard to get into Poof (not Gary from work, the magazine!), decides that in the absence of his father's body, he will bury himself in a coffin and rise a week later, because everyone knows that their father loved magic so much.

Meanwhile, Ann, George Michael's strange girlfriend, breaks up with him, leaving George Michael heartbroken and Michael somewhat happy. Mix this with the plot involving Lindsey and Tobias' open relationship and Maeby's need to escape her parents and you have an episode that most shows would likely bungle in trying to address all of the plots but this show pulls off like gangbusters.

So how does it all come together? How do the writers do such a superb job? By not pandering to an audience for easy laughs. We get call backs to previous episodes, themes and jokes from Season 1 in the most random of episodes, we get classic lines ("It's as Ann as the nose on Plain's face," "Pop Pop gets a treat?" "I don't know what I'm saying!" and dozens more at least...) and we get jokes that mix with one another and interact with each other in ways that Larry David wish he could do on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

There's also recurring jokes, including a particularly subtle yet hilarious one involving a song played in the Charlie Brown cartoon that is usually supposed to play over the Christmas episode but instead here comes to represent the sadness of certain characters (the episode is also named after one of Charlie Brown's great lines).

There's just too many funny moments to point out, and I'm hard-pressed to point out one that stands out.. all I can say is that any time Michael complains about Ann, or the entire "Poof" conversation that opens the episode, is an example of how quick the show is with its wit and humor. The fact that there are numerous episodes that achieve nearly the same level of insanity as this one shows how great this show truly is. But don't take my word for it.. watch it yourself and decide.