Arrested Development

Pilot

Aired Unknown Nov 02, 2003 on Netflix

• about this episode

I find out very funny. It had wonderful script, directing and single-camera picture editing.
  • "Illusion, Michael.. a trick is something a whore does for money."

For many, the Bluth family is as important and recognizable of a family as the Simpsons, the Jeffersons or that family from Dallas (I never watched it nor intend to). Either way, my point is that "Arrested Development," in just three seasons and fifty-three episodes, became one of the most well-loved and respected shows of all time. It's a shame that Mitchell Hurwitz hasn't been able to put out anything else nearly as important as this show in the wake of its cancellation. His new shows simply illuminate how amazing "Arrested Development" was.

The pilot does everything a good pilot should do, and maybe a little more. Right off the bat, we jump into the thick of everything and meet the main characters: The Bluth's. There's Michael Bluth, the most normal of the group and the one who basically, as the credits will eventually explain) holds everyone together. He has a son named George Michael who has a crush on his cousin Maeby and a child-like sense of wonder about him (Jason Bateman and Michael Cera play the roles respectively). There's Gob (a.k.a George Oscar Bluth, pronounced "jobe," played hilariously by Will Arnett)the oldest son and aspiring magician. Next is Lindsey Bluth, now Lindsey Funke (Portia de Rossi), an arrogant woman who is married to a psychiatrist turned actor, Tobias Funke (David Cross in his best role to date). Their daughter is Maeby, George Michael's crush, and is also disgusted with her parents. The youngest Bluth is Buster (Tony Hale), a panic attack prone mama's boy who takes useless classes. Then there's the mother and father: Lucille, whoi drinks a lot and sort of dislikes her children and George Bluth, father and CEO of Bluth company, which in thepilot, is caught by the S.E.C for an unknown crime.

For any big fans of the show, the above premise is likely old news and pointless to read, but for newbies, it's a sign of how intricate the family tree is and how closely they pay attention to each and every character, joke and plot point. The pilot, perhaps not the funniest episode the show has ever done, is certainly a perfect indication of what to expect from the show. In a very Curb Your Enthusiasm-ish way, each plot point has a savvy way of tying together in the end. The pilot focuses mainly on the Bluth company holding a party on their yacht to celebrate George Bluth's retirement and announcement of a new boss. Michael Bluth believes he'll get the job because he's proven himself to be the most loyal (him and his son live in one of the model homes they're selling, where everything is fake and falls apart easy). Meanwhile, Maeby feels isolated and ignored by her family, and in a ploy to get their attenion, makes out with George Michael, her cousin, which makes George Michael go insane. Gob wants to impress a magic group , the Alliance of Magicians, so he prepares a trick (scratch that.. an illusion!) to perform. Tobias has been fired as a psychiatrist and accidently ends up on a gay pride boat, where he realizes that he wants to pursue an acting career. Every single character is given a background, a unique personality with unique traits and ends up having a huge impact on the outcome of the episode.

Here, we're seeing the Bluths for the first time and it's a fantastic way to begin the show. Season 2 is still my favorite, but then again, I don't think there's really a bad episode of "Arrested Development."

The pilot episode of Arrested Development definitely delivered with it's introduction. Certainly it wasn't the best episode of Arrested Development, but it was a great introduction to the series, and it was one of the best pilots I have ever seen.

We've got very interesting characters with dynamic plots. It tied together very well, and it just gave us viewers a very good feel at the end. In the beginning, it was a bit slow paced, but that's the beauty of it, isn't it? My favorite characters from the start would definitely Jessica Walter's character or Michael's Cera's character. This show isn't afraid to cross any lines, which makes this show what it is. Too bad it got canceled so early in the game, but definitely a good pilot episode.
  • This is the story of a wealthy family who lost it all and the one son who had to keep them all together. Moments after Michael Bluth decides he is leaving the family company for good his father is arrested for shady bookkeeping.

This one of the best pilot episodes that anyone can make because of the whit that its written in its easy to get a great grasp on who the characters are and its funny and all the comedy works. This episode won an emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series.
  • Awesome.

Michael anticipates becoming the new president of his father's homebuilding company, having put up with his family for years in order to achieve it. This includes living in the attic of a model home with his son George Michael, and learning his sister Lindsay, brother-in-law Tobias and niece Maeby have been in town for a month without telling him. Instead, the position is given to his mother Lucille, shortly before his father George Sr. is arrested. Michael, reluctantly, returns to run the family business to steer them while his father is incarcerated, and Lindsay decides to become close to Michael again. So I thought I would start watching this since my brother has all of the series on box set. By the second line this show had me laughing. A good start so far, I can't wait to watch more.
  • Everything about Arrested Development - from the perfectly timed editing to the outstanding character acting - is ridiculously good!

I think the moment I heard "Look what the homosexuals have done to me," delivered dead-pan by the Bluth matriarch...I knew I had stumbled upon greatness. With each family member being presented, the audience begins to form an idea of what kind of family this is. Characteristics developed throughout the three seasons begin to become more evident for each familiy member - George is the family patriarch with a knack for illegal business practice; Lucille is George's power-hungry wife; Job is a perverted, immature man with a love for magic; Buster is prone to panic attacks; Lindsey is obsessed with living a luxurious lifestyle; Tobias is a clueless and talentless actor; George Michael is Michael's shy son; Maeby is George Michael's rebellious and witty cousin; and Michael (the main character) is the only sane one in the family. And the probable theme of the whole series - "We are one extremely disappointing family. But we are family."
  • Great Start to a great series

Michael anticipates becoming the new president of his father's homebuilding company, having put up with his family for years in order to achieve it. This includes living in the attic of a model home with his son George Michael, and learning his sister Lindsay, brother-in-law Tobias and niece Maeby have been in town for a month without telling him. Instead, the position is given to his mother Lucille, shortly before his father George Sr. is arrested. Michael, reluctantly, returns to run the family business to steer them while his father is incarcerated, and Lindsay decides to become close to Michael again. This show is so funny I cant beleave it was cancelled by supid FOX.
  • Love it

This pilot introduces the bluth family very well. The introduction of all the characters made me love them all because of their quirky and different ways, and the extended pilot on the dvd is even better.

The way all characters are introduced makes the pilot and instant success as they become memorable and likeable through their jokes and lifestyles. My particular favourite being Gob.

The episode would get viewers hooked on the witty jokes and banter between characters. Some can be overlooked the first time it is watched and discovered the next, which ensures fans will still love the show after watching it over and over.
  • Review

This episode of Arrested Devlopment was very good. The acting was great. The introduction to the show was very well done and this is probably one of the best pilots I have seen. This show is addictive and really cool. No Wonder it did terrible in ratings this show is to smart for most people!

• GREAT

...although I'm particularly talking about the Extended Pilot, which didn't air on TV but is available on the DVD. I've heard people say that pilots are typically weak episodes, but if that's the general rule, the AD pilot is the exception that proves the rule. It's one of the best episodes in the whole series. In it, the hard-working Michael Bluth finds himself in charge of the family business when his father is arrested for massive corruption. The episode has the burden of introducing all the characters and storyline, but in the process we get classic dialog from the character GOB, who informs us that magicians practice illusions, not tricks, because a trick is something "a whore does for money." Additionally, we learn the head of the family George can't be considered a mastermind because "he can barely work our shredder." We learn the family is composed of shallow people and snobs who don't get along, and yet by the end we get the sense that they care about each other... even when they're still trading insults. This is what made The Simpsons brilliant, and AD catches that dynamic just as well or better.

There's sort of a cinematic feel to this episode, particularly the extended version, and there's definitely an exciting feeling at the end that the Pilot has set up an amazing roller coaster ride of a series. If you don't believe me, this Pilot won more Emmys than any other AD episode, for writing, directing and editin
  • Meet the Bluths. In the pilot, Michael decides to take a job in Arizona after being passed over by George Sr. for head of the Bluth Company. George Sr. is jailed, and the family realizes they need Michael.

Its the start of something beautiful. This episode introduces the crazy Bluth family. This family puts the "fun" in disfunctional. THis is the glorious episode that kicks it all off. The odd thing is how in depth the pilot actually was. It seems that most pilots are extremely light on the story. But this amazing show gives us a great in depth character story line. Kudos on giving the public a show that is both entertaining and not mindless dribble that is seriousy crap. So learn from the Bluths and remember that family, above all else should always come first
  • A Great Pilot!

The jokes and the pace of the pilot makes this a classic. In some regards, there is nothing out of the box as for storylines. (Think Classic Soaps) Yet, Michael centers the show into reality and rest becomes comedy. I can see why people "didn't get it" because half of the jokes are not in your face. It seems I catch something new each time by watching it. As for the cast it's genius. Jason Bateman's rules my world in this show as does his mother and sister. This first one got me hook. That is why i have all 3 seasons.
  • A Great Begining

• Wonderful start..........

This was a great pilot episode, defiantly better than I anticipated. I like how they have a narrator in the show. They did a really good job of introducing and providing background information about the main characters. Each family member has their own unique personality. Tobias is probably going to turn out to be the funniest one of the whole family. I am looking forward to see how his acting career is going to turn out and what the family is going to do now that George Sr. is in jail. This family is more messed up than the Simpson’s or Malcolm’s and I love it! All of these unique characters are going to make for some really funny episodes. I cannot wait to see the rest of season one.
  • Hilarious introduction to the world of the Bluth Family

A very amusing episode, the pilot introduces everything the show is now used to:
    -> the family and its hilarious characters
    -> the narrator/storyteller of the show who inputs his own opinions occasionally
    -> George Bluth in trouble with the law

The plot is very well conceived and shows just how his family can get on Michael's nerves and just how stupid the family is (George thinking a husband and wife can't go to prison for the same crime, Gob wanting to be a magician, Tobias confusing gays for pirates...)

Overall, this episode introduces the characters extremely well thanks to the narration and starts the emmy award winning series it would become.
  • The Pilot Episodes

I'm starting a review for each episode. I'm watching one a day and I'll hopefully keep up with this. This is also why I'm only giving this episode a 9.0 because I know the series gets even better.

I watched the first episode on FOX when it first aired, to see Hank again... the lovable sidekick of "The Larry Sanders Show"... I was surprised to see David Cross of "Mr. Show with Bob and David" fame...

The episode set up a lot and I got too busy following the great story and Michael's determination to never see any of his family again, including his sister and her family whom he seldom sees anyways...

By a month later, I was extremely addicted to the rude and balls out humor of this Socialite Family.

The extended pilot features more character development / introductions and feels well paced... the aired pilot seems rushed in a way that the rest of the series doesn't.

While showing friends the series, they usually don't start getting into it and really laughing hard until the second episode... this is one of those episodes that is best seen when you know who everybody is and their eccentricities that you start laughing hard at either version of the pilot... the final pilot is tighter and oddly funnier... even though the deleted scenes of Maeby's rebellion and GOB's $20 Monopoly Magic Trick are as funny as anything else in the series... I recommend seeing the final pilot first and, of course, the rest of the series; before returning to the begining and watching the extended & uncensored "Creator's Cut" of the pilot episode.
  • Brilliant setup to a brilliant show.

This show is bar-none the best comedy on television in the past 10 years. The series\\\'s most enduring characteristic is it\\\'s endless watchability, which is a direct result of its peerless creative writing. Nowhere else on television can you find so many allusions, double meanings, and hidden references as you can on this show. The DVD set should come with cliff notes so you can pick up on all the hidden meanings and themes that appear in later shows, but I for one am glad that it doesn\\\'t, because finding new references upon each repeated viewing greatly enhances my enjoyment, as well as my appreciation for the talent, dedication, and outright creative genius of the shows writes.
  • Great Start!

I've only seen the extended version of the pilot so I'm not sure what bits were add on, but to put it simply I loved it.

In a world of predictable and drab sitcoms Arrested Development is definately a breath of fresh air!

Its a superb pilot! By the end of the episode you get a grasp of what this show is all about, as well as the pesonalities of each of the characters.

That is exactly what you want from a pilot!

There is no episode more deserving of an emmy than this one!

• One amazingly funny Pilot episode. The Extended Version on the DVD is even better.

Gotta love this episode. It's probably the only series I know of that kept every plot point from the Pilot for the rest of the series. Exceptions are the sets, especially the model home, which is similar to the set for the series, but different. Also, GOB looks a little weird. But still, it already feels like they had a whole 22-episode season planned out during this, and it's amazing to watch. The DVD Set has an Extended version with another 8 minutes of footage. They're probably the only deleted scenes that work correctly in the episode (judging by the deleted scenes on the DVDs).
  • um...its the pilot

one of the top 10 best pilots of all time, soon to be one of the top 10 best shows of all time. if you or any other schmuck would dare ditch this show so that they could watch some Everybody Hates Chris chickenshit, then they really DO deserve to be arrested.
  • Unlike many other comedy programs, Arrested Development is funny from start to finish. In this first episode we are given an insight inot each and every one of the wacky and bizzare family members' lives.

In this first episode we are given an insight into each and every one of the wacky and bizzare family members' lives.
    Highlights would have to include Tobias ending up on the wrong boat in his 'fancy dress costume,' and May B claiming she found a fox foot in her frozen banana.
    If this episode shows the standard of comedy for this show, I can't wait to see the rest of the season!
  • This episode was a great way to open the series. It gives a deep background on every character and keeps it funny at the same time.

Besides all the introductions to the characters, this seemed like a normal episode. If you compared this episode to the most recent one, (Episode 2-18 Righteous Brothers) It wouldn't seem that different. What's most clever about this pilot is that they use it to carry on storylines down the road. Like with George Sr's experiences in prison, George Michael's forbidden attraction to his cousin Maeby, Tobias' dream to be an actor, Lindsay's passion for being an activist, and GOB's career in magic. But all in all I think this is one of the greatest series pilots I have ever seen.