Arrested Development

Aired Unknown Feb 13, 2005 on Netflix

• Good Stuff, BUT...

7.7
    When Guest Stars Go Bad

This series is consistently outstanding. The core cast is amazing. But as the series gains buzz, the stunt casting risks going awry. And that's what happens here.

Martin Short sucks, plain and simple. Everything about his character is out of step with the rest of the show. It's just one step outside of the show's world and one step too far into the cheesey. I'd lay money that Martin Short had a big hand in the character, and it shows in all the wrong ways. When he's in the frame, the rest of the characters -- the ones we actually tune in to see -- have to all take a step back and stand and watch him do the same stupid antics that stop being funny in SCTV days, if they were even funny then.

The cast gets extra points for putting up with this and still doing their jobs. The episode gets a full 1.5 points off just for Short's presence.

Here's hoping the only future episode featuring Jack Dorso begins with the character's funeral and includes no flashbacks.
  • Romantic getaways everywhere!

Tobias is by far the funniest character in this episode with many double entendres he is not even aware of saying, Michael advising him to get a tape recorder so he could find out what his quotes (such as “I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will. So now I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands”) actually sound like.

Uncle Jack was an interesting character at first but far too overplayed in some aspects which brings down the quality of the episode but it still passes as an entertaining instalment of Arrested Development.