Arrested Development

Netflix Premiered Nov 02, 2003 Between Seasons

Silver_Sword_14

Arrested Development Fan Reviews page 8 of 19

• It's OK

it's funny, shot in a reality type handheld video. it works. the jokes are funny, the punchlines are really good. this show is pretty good. the guest stars are even great, like julia dreyfus. the producers and the writers did a good job with this show. what makes this show work is the constant wackiness of the plot, nothing is taken too seriously, the punchlines keep on coming. this show provides loads of laughter. that's something expected from a comedy show. this show delivers the goods. the narration adds up to the comedic atmosphere of the show, when an episode finishes, you feel so much better.
  • best dysfunctional family no longer on tv

i love this show! the best cast ever chosen. michael cera is absolutely brillant. i can not wait for season three to come out. i find myself consantly making references to the show that noone else in the room gets. i\'m left there giggling awkwardly like george michael. the writing is superb. the acting is pure talent. the camera work genius. i recomend buying the complete season sets for all your friends and family this holiday season. i can not wait till my children are old enough to share this great example of quality television. i absolutely recomend this show to everyone!
  • A show this funny should never be cancelled. People just don't understand the humor.

When I first saw the pilot, I was thinking "Okay, this is supposed to be a comedy?" But as the show progressed, i started to appreciate more and more how each little detail builds on each other. From Buster losing a hand his hand to George Micheal being in love with his cousin, it all revolves aroung twisted, dry, absolutly hilarious situations.

What people I think people rejected about the show was it was something completely original and we tend to stick to things that we know. Furthermore, It is hard to get people into a show this deep if you have missed out on so much of the earlier episodes. But for people who were lucky wnough to have seen it while on it's incredibly too short life span, you understand why this masterpiece of modern sitcom should have never fell through.
  • Gone too soon--Arrested Development movie?

What a brilliant show! Funny, smart, and everything wonderful that is currently lacking on TV. But on the epilogue of the series, Ron Howard mentions a movie. A joke or is he serious? How about an Arrested Development movie? How many people would pay to see that? They could get away with what they never could on TV, including actually swearing without hiding their mouths (and nudity, although I'm not sure that would really be a big selling point).

There will never be another show quite like Arrested Development--smart, witty, and always funny. Another show that was killed too soon.
  • awesome shoiw

More Pictures The Emmy Award-winning comedy series ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT revolves around MICHAEL BLUTH (Jason Bateman), the “normal” one in a family of crazies, who is forced to stay in Orange County and run the family real estate business after his father, GEORGE BLUTH SR. (Jeffrey Tambor), is sent to prison for shifty accounting practices. While George Sr. spent the last year in the slammer discovering his newfound Judaism and recording inspirational tapes, Michael spent it picking up the pieces and trying to teach his offbeat family how to live without an endless expense account. All the while, Michael has also been trying to do right by his 14-year-old son, GEORGE MICHAEL (Michael Cera), an earnest kid who works diligently at the family’s frozen banana stand.

The Bluths are led by manipulative matriarch LUCILLE BLUTH (Jessica Walter), a socialite who is as icy as her martinis. Then there’s the oldest son, GOB (Will Arnett), a womanizer and struggling magician (sorry, “illusionist”) whose biggest trick will be to make a real job appear. The youngest brother is BUSTER (Tony Hale), a neurotic professional grad student and glorified mama’s boy (he spent 11 months in the womb).

The Bluth siblings are rounded out by cause-obsessed sister LINDSAY (Portia de Rossi), who is married to the hapless TOBIAS (David Cross), a doctor-turned-actor who might get more work if he wasn’t a self-proclaimed “never-nude.” Lindsay and Tobias are the ultra-permissive parents of MAEBY (Alia Shawkat), a 14-year-old who loves finding unique ways to rebel against their overindulgence.

• An absolutely hilarious documentary style comedy - with its brilliant characters, overarching plot, and lighthearted narration, the show would be done a huge disservice if you called it a sitcom.

Arrested Development is a manic show. Everything comes hard and fast and at no point does it ever take pity on you and give you time to recover from your fit of laughter. This results in two things - chances are it will take a handful of episodes before you 'get' the show, and you'll also want to watch episodes more than once to catch all the jokes you may have missed. And no doubt you will, as they range from slapstick to puns and subtle background jokes. The show rarely goes more than a few seconds without something bizarre going on somewhere in the frame.

Part of what makes the show work so well is the cast of characters. Michael, the middle son of the Bluth family, is the only one who could possibly be called normal. He acts as the anchor of sorts for all of his family members, since every one of them is more or less insane. It's hard to choose from them, too, as each one has their own unique set of quirks that the writers exploit to the fullest throughout the episodes.

Buster is a child in a man's body. Gob is a failed magician with a massive ego. Lindsay is ridiculously shallow, and her husband Tobias is both effeminate and fixated on his various failings (he's arguably the craziest of all the characters). George Michael, Michael's son, is pretty normal aside from the typical teenage fixations. Maybee is also a fairly typical teenager. Michael's parents are messed up too - his mother is a very demanding alcoholic and his father spends the series either in jail or running from the law because of fudging taxes and building houses for Saddam. It gets weirder, but this could go on forever, particularly if you start including hilarious guest stars from Ione Skye, Alan Tudyk, Rob Corddry, and Seinfeld's own Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

The series also follows a main plot in and around individual episode hijinks - it's not the reason why you'd watch the show, but it does keep things fresh as the situation is constantly evolving instead of the rather mundane day-to-day lives of most sitcom families (yeah, I know I said I wouldn't use that word).

Each episode of Arrested Development also features fairly heavy narration by producer Ron Howard, whose tone is perfect for the bizarre nature of the show. He'll happily inform the audience about George Michael's crush on his cousin or inform us of Tobias' rejection at the hands of the Blue Man Group and it works as a joke by itself. You could also argue that it's almost essential given the speed at which the show flies by. The music sets the tone as well, and mostly consists of a joyously plunked ukelele. Having said that, can you possibly imagine anything else in its place?

Perhaps in the end there aren't enough positive things to say about the show, since everything can basically be summed up by saying that Arrested Development is bloody hilarious. Throughout its three seasons you'd also be hard pressed to find a single dud among the 50-odd episodes, which is an achievement in itself. I'll say this: Go watch Arrested Development this instant. You can thank me later.
  • What can be said that hasn't been said before?

Criminally neglected, underappreciated, cancelled before it's time, never got the audience it deserved, shows like this come around very few and very far between, hilarious, quirky, flat out brilliant. All of those were what Arrested Development was.

While they failed to strike when the iron was hot after after it's big Emmy win, Fox tried to put this show over, albeit too little too late. I can't really fault them for trying. At least they gave me 53 episodes of glorious television that I can rewatch ad nauseum on DVD. There will always be a small glimmer of hope somewhere in my head/heart/whatever that I'll see the Bluths resurface in some form.
  • Fantastic. Hilarious. Incredible.

This show was hilarious! i loved it!
    aw!

okay. I loved Tobias - he was hilarious. And how george michael had a crush on his cousin? ew, but funny!

and haha. i loved Bob Loblaw. that was hilarious. hahaha.

and what else...Rita! she was funny! hahaha. that entier story line was wonderful. haha. Mr. F! lol!

um, also...what else?!

ah i barely remember anything cuz it's been like 6 months since i saw an episode of this show!

but i do remember that i loved it! it was so funny and always made me laugh!

i'm so bummed that it's off the air. It was a great show and it didn't get the ratings or publicity it deserved! ahh. that's what sucks. good shows get neglected, but stupid shows get all the money in the world, and the stars get famous, even if they can be easily replaced!

ah. that's what bugs me.

not many people like my reviews so far, cuz i'm quite harsh to a lot of shows that DeSeRvE it! ah! why would i go all crazy mean on a show that doesn't suck? i wouldn't. i realize that a show's popularity is based on whether the viewer actually likes the show - i'm not stupid you know.

but i'm gonna point out what i don't like about a show! especially when a show i'm pretty fond of gets cancelled cuz nobody gives it the time of day, while awful powerhouses like Desperate Housewives or Lost get all the attention....ah!

don't go all weird on me and give this review a thumbs down or whatever just cuz i hate lost and ABC in general. Just judge it on what i have to say about this show.

and i say that this show is great, and deserved better. much better.
  • An original and hilarious show!

This show was great! It was a sit com but yet it was set up almost like a documentary! The humor was great from show to show and the over all story was fabulous. I liked all the characters, even though most of them weren’t likable, lol.

I don’t think there was ever a bad show, and I can’t say that about any show! Even a not so great show was great!

The style of humor was wonderful and it was great how they would bring stuff back up. The interaction between all the characters was priceless and while they were all backstabbing jerks, they did have some deranged since of family.

Overall, I think this may be one of my fav shows ever.
  • greatest comdey ever!

Arrested Development was, in my opinion, the greatest comedy ever put on the air. From the smart writing, to the classic delivery by the entire cast, everything was perfect. It was definitely not the type of show that you could casually tune into to get some cheap laughs but required your added attention in order to really get the pay off for watching, and that is probably what led to it's low ratings and eventual demise. I'm so happy that the show will forever live in my DVD collection and I will gladly lend it out and watch with anyone that has never seen the show before. If you haven't watched it yet, download, netflix, blockbuster, or go buy the dvds and start from the beginning. I gaurantee you won't regret it.
  • After the patriarch of the Bluth family is imprisoned, his son, Michael assumes the duties of keeping his crazy family from ruining themselves and the business and freeing his seemingly VERY guilty father from jail

probbaly the most original sitcom ever, the jokes are fresh, not the totally controversial funny like family guy, the characters all have personalities and are cast marvelously, michael and george michael being the best two, not only do they look alike but they also seem to have the same manerisms. also the fact that its a progressive sitcom as opposed to just being episodes that have a very vague timeline gives it an involoving story. its a shame that the show was cancelled althogh i dont think it should hvae been made for fox, showtime, HBO or in canada the movie network should have aquired the licence and run them unedited. a must for a tv-dvd collection
  • i can't believe it

7.2
    i will never understand why this show did not take off. it was one of the best sitcoms to ever be on the fox network. i have to give the network credit for letting it last as long as it did. the best thing about the show was how well the actors played off of one another.
  • Pure Comedy Gold.

I watched this show since it's humble begginings. It was so funny I couldn't believe it. When I found out it was doing bad in the ratings, I was stunned! I thought it was the funniest thing since Seinfeld!

And like Seinfeld, I thought it would soon blossom into a hit. But we'll never know if it could have or would have, for it was cancelled during its shortened 3rd season. It's cult following was just not enought for FOX to keep on the air. Still a great show to get on DVD, especially because every episode is linked in some way. Hopefully this show pulls a Futurama or Family Guy, and DVD sales bring it back.
  • This show about a crazy family and the middle son trying to keep it together is a critically acclaimed series. Michael Bluth manages to keep it together under much pressure and uses any persuasion or trickery to keep the family and business afloat.

The thing that makes a subtle yet powerful impact on the show is the camera view. The camera view is like a person that's with the Bluths and seeing and hearing everything that's going on and really wants to get out of there. It's so funny when the camera guy starts to back away and leave because he/she knows something bad's going to happen. The humor is intelligent and the characters are easy to really like. They are so different yet funny. Just as an example, Tobias makes these ambiguously gay comments and Michael tries to see if he really is gay but Tobias doesn't seem to notice. George Michael (could be gay too, he seems very effeminate) hooks up with his "cousin" Maeby, but they're not biological cousins because she was really adopted. This is such a funny show, it's a shame it got cancelled because of poor ratings. And I just found out that Ron Howard was the narrator. How cool is that?
  • Yeah, I could see marinating a chicken in that.

What more is there to say about Arrested Development other than it was ahead of its time. Media today relies on exploiting "celebrities" in "real-life" situations, not to mention creating a game-show out of "real-life". But when you try to make a scripted show that follows a T.V. family, you've lost the sheep you call public viewers. Mitch Hurwitz's masterpiece follows the life of Michael Bluth as he tries to keep his disfunctional, wealthy family from ending up right alongside Pop-Pop(keep 'em out of prison)
    Michael's father, George Sr. is arrested in the pilot episode for "light treason", as well as multiple counts of fraud. Michael's alcoholic mother is left the company, but decides to leave it in Michael's hands. His proactive sister Lindsay is married to the denial-stricken "actor" Tobias Fünke and has a daughter Mäebe. Bah, blah, blah...There's really more characters than anyone cares to describe.
  • AWESOME show, so sad to c it go!!!! *tear*

it\\\'s such a shame this show came to an end. the writing, acting and execution of every episode was always above par. a show ahead of it\\\'s time, completely original, and underappreciated. i only have one question, for those of you who weren\\\'t watching this, what exactly were you watching????
  • Underappreciated Comedy Brilliance!

Admittedly, Arrested Development was never something that would last forever. This show would always be too smart for prime-time. But 3 seasons of comedy excellence is better than 20 of comprimised, dumb laughs.

We're all fans here - my review wont convince anyone new and it wont make fans have any new insight. But at least there is another voice here to say that I was there for the show!

The first two seasons of AD were crazyily good. The continuity, the laughs and the situations were pure gold! Season 3 stumbled a little, but pulled out the finale that we all would have hoped for and goes out with class.

A true comedy classic; one for the ages!
  • Simply the best show on tv!

From the very beginning of "Now the story of a wealthy family..." to the scences from our next episode which actually never occur in the next episode, Arrested Development is simsply pure geniuse. With hundereds of jokes per episode none of them being corny. And many jokes repeating (a joke said in one episode could be repeated 5 episodes later) but never the less still being hilarious I cannot get enough of this show. Sadly, with low rating and being highly underappriciated by viewers (not critics) the show has been cancled with no pretty much no chance of being picked up. I guess it was just ahead of its time.
  • I love this show, it is funny, smart, and one of my favorite shows of all time. Anyone who is reading this who has not watched this show needs to do so, right now.

This show is decades ahead of all other comedies. It is able to be smart and silly and produce some of the funniest lines and scenes I have ever witnessed. Brilliant and wonderfull, I wish I could some up with the words that could imspire enough people to watch it to make it the #1 rated show, because it deserves more than anything I\'ve ever seen.
  • Michael Bluth has the job of running the family company after his father is imprisoned for fraud and treason.

TV Land was dead on in giving this show the distinction of "modern classic." This show was pure genius and sadly, too smart for people. It was beautifully written and even Seinfeld-esque in its ability to tie everything together on the small scale (each episode) and the large (the series). Each aspect of the show was built up wonderfully, every topic building upon the last. It was art, which is rarely found today in television writing.
    Great writing must be well executed as well in order to have a complete show. The actors in all of the roles were fantastic. The actors were all able to feed off of one another and play into the scheme of things wonderfully. Buster and George Michael (not the singer/songwriter) were especially gifted at this. All the while, Ron Howard and his narration tied up any loose end that may occur with witty, to the point analysis of the show.
    All in all, this is one of the finer shows of our time and though I may preach to bring it back, I know that there is not much of a chance of that happening. I can only hope that in the future, this show will not get passed over but recognized as the brilliant show that it was.
  • Next Time On Arrested Development...

This show is very original and hysterically funny. As a newcomer to the show, I haven't seen many episodes but I am already hooked, despite the scheduled timing (mondays at midnight). I just bought the first season DVD and hope to watch it soon as this show is definitely worth paying money to see.

My favourite character is probably Gob as he has many funny and idiotic things to say no matter who is listening and the narrator also has great lines like from the last episode I saw "Hey, that's the name of the show!"

Overall, the idiotic family of a convicted father sounds funny but is actually side-splittingly hilarious!
  • A great comedy about a crazy family. One of the comedies that refused to "dumb itsself down" to pick up more viewers.

A great comedy about a crazy family. One of the comedies that refused to "dumb itsself down" to pick up more viewers. The show was based around the crazy Bluth family and never failed to amuse. I really hope that the Showtime deal works out and the show can continue. With a great cast that included Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth, Jeffrey Tambor as George Bluth Sr. / Oscar Bluth, Portia de Rossi as Lindsay Bluth Fünke, David Cross as Tobias Fünke, Ron Howard as The Narrator, Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth, Will Arnett as George "Gob" Bluth II, Michael Cera as George Michael Bluth, Alia Shawkat as Mae "Maeby" Fünke and Tony Hale as Byron "Buster" Bluth. A truly intelligent comdy that i already miss.
  • The show is sharp and well paced. Some of its strong points are its word plays and hilariously awkward scenes.

If you look at each episode one at a time, it would seem like Michael Bluth is holding together a family of weirdos. Viewed as a whole, though, you realize that Michael is just as bad as any of them.

I\'d say the main drive of the show is the miscommunication between all of the characters. Tobias frequently says gay things unintenionally, Gob is so nacissistic that he interprets everything as applying to him (plus, he\'s stupid). Each of the characters have a personality flaw that creates this miscommunication.

There\'s no laugh track, which is always a good thing. Ron Howard narrates, albeit in a tongue-in-cheek way. It\'s something any good comedy fan should check out.
  • One of my favorites

I didnt really like the show in the first season but then I started to watch it more and more and now I really like it. I love the shows with the defunclional families so I really like this show. I havent watched it lately but if I ever get a chance I will.
  • The show is about a disfuctional family who happens to own a housing company. After the father is put in prison Michael Bluth(Jason Bateman) is forced to run the compnay.

This show is one of my all time favorites. The way it's not just a cheap laugh. They make you think in the way they bring back punchlines from previous shows from previous seasons. It's too bad we couldn't see it shine like Seinfeld like it could have done.
  • THE FUNNIEST THING ON TV

I loved this show, from the moment it started, i was laughing out loud, this was so funny, i wish they had carried it on a bit longer, if they did, it would have given more people a chance to see how great this show is, and it could have been bigger than Friends, but Fox didnt give it a chance. Never Mind i will always remember it, and i have every episode, and it always cheers me to watch G.O.B do his chicken dance, or when Tobias, is Tobias. LOL

Funniest Show Ever

A.D 4EVA

"Im a monster" Buster
    "Annyoung"
  • Wow, what can i say. Genius.

So far i've only watched a few episodes, but i love it. Its just such good dry humor. The Similar tab, above i think that some of those shows arn't not that similar. Exept Curb your enthusiasm, which i think is'nt as good, but still watchable. But shows like Chappelle arn't similar, but of course, its good. But i seem to be going off track. So far the episodes that i've seen are pilot and the cabin show. I may have been that i watched these episodes at 2 o'clock in the morning, but they were still the best things i've seen. Please, if you actually havn't seen this show yet, go out there, and watch this. Trust me, it's good.
  • Funniest show I have ever seen.

The show has a storyline, so if you missed previous eppisodes you may not get all the jokes. That said this is still one of the funniest shows I have seen. Fox cancelling it just reinforces my belief that they want dumbed down shows so their executives can get the jokes. Fox has cancelled (off the top of my head)Family Guy, Firefly, Arrested Development, and Futurama. Great job Fox!
  • Man that was a great show

Arrested Development is a great show with great inside jokes and just one of the greatest shows on earth. The Show is funny and original the storyline wasn’t linear and the storylines would constantly change. And as many times I watch the show I can’t help but notice a joke that I had missed before. I just can’t help but love the characters and the sticky situations they end up in. And the writing is 2nd to none. Man was that a great show. And it's a damn shame it got cancled i guess people would pefer to watch Some dumb show that didn't inovate. A show sometimes comments on a something that happend weeks before and it was always so blatant but not this with there cleaver word play and non linear way of "Punch line first then set up."
  • A fugitive, A magician, An actor, An army trooper, A snob, A hippie, A nerd, A rebel, and Micheal Bluth... all equal a genius show!

Arrested Development is about Micheal, a son, brother, and father, who tries his best to help his family and buisness when his father gets arrested for imbeselment. The Bluth family is filled with lazy memebers who only look out for themselves. Micheal must put aside his annoying feelings for every member to try and save the family name. This show was ahead of its time and was cut shoet due to low viewer ship. I highly recommend picking up seasons 1 and 2 at your local store and season 3 when it arrives. You will love Arrested Develepmont from start to finish.

Similar Shows: Family Guy, The Office, Seinfeld, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12