Arrested Development

Netflix Premiered Nov 02, 2003 Between Seasons

Silver_Sword_14

Arrested Development Fan Reviews (551)

• Is this supposed to be funny?

0.0
    Why do people like this show? Why do critics like this show? They're usually good judges of shows' characters, but I think they're way off on this one. I have not so much as smiled watching this show. The kind of comedy it's supposed to be, awkward, is usually appealling to me. I love the Christopher Guest films and those kind of things, however, I find Arrested Developement to be the most unfunny thing I've ever seen. I've laughed more at funerals than when watching this show.
  • Arrested Development is a comedy about the Bluth family. Their father is in prison, leaving one of this sons to run the family business. Chaos ensues between all the siblings and children of the Bluth family. A definite must-see comedy!

0.0
    Arrested Development is in its third season on the Fox network, Monday nights at eight oclock. It is an original comedy that was the first of its kind, a sort of anti-sitcom comedy that is truly intelligent. It is a critically acclaimed show that has won an Emmy for best comedy series. The show stars Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Jeffrey Tambor, and Portia De Rossi among others. If you have not had a chance to catch this show, it is well worth it. There is not another comedy like on television. The show focuses on the Bluth family, and all the craziness that takes place within this big family. Jason Bateman plays the son of Jeffrey Tambor, who is in prison for mishandling the family business. Now that he is in prison, his son takes over running the family business. While dealing with the business, he is also dealing with his mother, sister, neice, and brother Gob, where there is never a dull moment. This show has had some great guest stars on, and will hopefully continue for many more seasons. The first season of Arrested Development is now on DVD, so if you haven't had a chance to check it out....you should! I highly recommend this show!
  • Not funny at all. Enough Said.

0.0
    This show is not funny. The jokes are nothing hysterical and the plotlines are stupid. Thank god FOX didn't put this on the sunday lineup otherwise it'll just trash the whole simpsons through american dad shows. Thank god it's on mondays now so not a lot of people will watch it.
  • A dry lifeless show that is passed off as a comedy. The large amount of dead space between dialoged is very apparent because the show seems to lack any kind of musical score. The acting is robotic.

0.1

The show is passed off as original "original", but it isn't. The UK show "the office" first aired in 2001. It has the similar camera work and style of humor. But, unlike Arrested Development people can relate to the setting and characters.
  • This is a piece of crap.

this show is not funny. when i watched at my uncle's house, i wanted to kill myself. The evening news is funnier than this.
  • This show is one of the worst shows that I've ever seen. I really wish that I didn't watch it.

Arrested Developement is very boring! It has the most stupid plot, and storylines, on every episode. All it's about is this one guys family and how weird things happen to them. The characters suck, they are really bad at acting, because its never funny, or dramatic or whatever its supposed to be, it's kind of hard to tell. I've watched about four or five episodes, and I found myself asking myself if I watched the same episode three times, but I realized that the names of the episodes were different, so I new that I watched different episode, they just seemed the same, because the plot of each episode is just like the others, and there is very little new things that happen in the new episodes.

There was one good thing that I saw throughout all five episodes that I watched. There was one time that I laughed, about a joke about how the bald guy was stupid or something like that. It was mildly funny, but definately not a great episode compared to any other show.

This show SUCKS!! If you haven't seen it yet, make sure that you never watch it, unless your looking for an example of a really bad show. Make sure that you don't watch it to see if it's good, because its not. I can't stress this enough, DON'T WATCH THIS SHOW!!!!!!.
  • A random show that throws together cliche and unfunny humor with unfunny characters

3.5
    i don't like this show, it tries to hard to be funny and different. It's got it's funny moments, but overall it's pretty stupid. Plot just sucks, the characters must have multi personality syndrom because they do such random crap. I'm glad it's being axed, there's better stuff to watch on tv, much funnier sitcoms that could shine in place of this. i dont even know how it got nominated for any award, but nonetheless it's being axed and i'm glad to see it.
  • People who think this show is funny are people who think they are smarter, edgier and hipper and generally better than other people, especially those who don't like this show.

You aren't. Please don't say I don't get it, see I do get it and it just isn't that great. It's the kind of comedy where you watch say "Hmm, that's a clever premise," and then never actually laugh out loud.

Stewie: Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!"
  • I understand that millions of people absolutely love this show, but no matter how much I watch it, I can't get into it.

4.1
    I'm sorry, but I simply don't understand this show. I watch an episode maybe once every couple of months, just to see if I'll ever get it. I never do.

Yes, I understand this show is hugely popular, which is why I gave it some credit in my score, but the bottom line is that this show doesn't make sense. I chuckle a few times here and there, but it's not laugh out loud funny.

I heard that if you like The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. than you'll like Arrested Development. Sorry, not me!

However, it gets good ratings and has a strong story line, which, in the long run, is all that matters. But personally, it's just not my kind of show.
  • Started as pushing-the-envelope funny, but degraded into refuse humor.

The show started as very fast-paced humor that was making me laugh time and time again. However, with each season, the jokes became less and less funny to the point of simply being strange and offensive.

I was particularly pleased with the way the creators were able to put together a group of characters who were each more eccentric than the other but still making it ALMOST believable for each of the viewers. It was one of those situations where you knew someone who was ALMOST like each of the characters. A great mix.

The situations in which they were placed only made the show more funny with each episode...but then came the second season followed by the simply TRASHY third season. The show only became offensive with period humor that no one will even understand in two years.

It is good the show ended, but it ended two seasons too late.
  • Development

5.8
    The Emmy Award-winning comedy series ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT revolves around MICHAEL BLUTH (Jason Bateman), the “normal” one in a family of crazies, who is forced to stay in Orange County and run the family real estate business after his father, GEORGE BLUTH SR. (Jeffrey Tambor), is sent to prison for shifty accounting practices. While George Sr. spent the last year in the slammer discovering his newfound Judaism and recording inspirational tapes, Michael spent it picking up the pieces and trying to teach his offbeat family how to live without an endless expense account. All the while, Michael has also been trying to do right by his 14-year-old son, GEORGE MICHAEL (Michael Cera), an earnest kid who works diligently at the family’s frozen banana stand.

The Bluths are led by manipulative matriarch LUCILLE BLUTH (Jessica Walter), a socialite who is as icy as her martinis. Then there’s the oldest son, GOB (Will Arnett), a womanizer and struggling magician (sorry, “illusionist”) whose biggest trick will be to make a real job appear. The youngest brother is BUSTER (Tony Hale), a neurotic professional grad student and glorified mama’s boy (he spent 11 months in the womb).
  • Tries Way too Hard to Be Smart, Funny, and Weird (Second Season)

5.9
    I watched the first season and thought it was charming and interesting, but the second season was really, where the show's flaws just stuck out. This show tries way too hard to be smart, funny, and weird, and instead just looks ends up being incredibly pretentious and dry. It's like the Royal Tenenbaums.

Few comedies, other than when I first saw the better episodes of Simpsons and Family Guy, have made me laugh out loud, but I can say that this has made me laugh (I think possibly) out loud or at least find something really funny, but there isn't enough to justify the dryness and pretention that bogs down the show.

The problem is just that that the way the show is presented it becomes so absorbed in itself that it really doesn't feel like it's there to entertain you. It feel like it's something some guy has written to feel smart.

And I want to be entertained.
  • Somebody please defend the show against this critique

WHY?? Why do people think this show is 'genius'? I agree this show is funny, however it is nowhere NEAR the 'genius' level. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the show's humor relies mainly on quips and dramatic irony that stems from idiotic characters who's motives and actions are all basically the same (other than Michael) - selfishness. This is funny because it creates interesting situations and opportunities for the writers to be clever with funny quips. My problem with this is though, is that the characters don't actually change! Nobody grows or learns or well... develops! This is what makes the show mediocre in my opinion. The show continues to add subplots and new characters and diversions - which are funny! - but never truly moves foreword with the characters. Therefore, in the end I don't care at all about any of the characters because it turns out they are all selfish shallow or idiotic people who will never change. Thus I feel like the show is watching dumb people do dumb things and laughing at the irony of it all. While I agree this is funny, it is not 'genius' in any regard.
  • nobodys watch this, it's good, but sometimes it's so bored,

6.1
    nobodys watch this, it's good, but sometimes it's so bored, so i don't know, but i don't like this, the guion it's cool, but not exceptional, the actuations are very good, and the history doesn't take to anyway, it's just to have a good time watch a tv show a afternoon day
  • HMMM. . .

6.2
    I really don't know how I feel about this show. Somes shows, this is just my OP., but some shows are too much of one thing, and not enough of something else. I think it was too dysfunctional for anyobody to really take it seriously. Even the most outrageous comedies have a soul, or a common thread, this show didn't. I'm sure in some way the characters did love each other-but the heinous things they said and did to one another made me doubt that.The critics loved this show, me, not so much. I'm glad they're getting rid of it.
  • Arrested Development, theres a reason its always a thread from tv heaven. I dont get what the directors are trying to convey. It goes for comedy but in my opinion "The Next Great Champ" the huge FOX blow is just about as funny as this.

6.6
    Arrested Development, theres a reason its always a thread from tv heaven. I dont get what the directors are trying to convey. It goes for comedy but in my opinion "The Next Great Champ" the huge FOX blow is just about as funny as this. The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad,Futurama are all recent shows that are a lot funnier then this. This show ranks right next to that nutjob King of the Hill.
  • Bravo

One of the few comedy show that are actually funny. Perfect, no more and no less!

The fourth season was a big downfall.
  • Which parts do you want to fast-forward thru?

Let's be honest, nearly every show has parts we don't really want to watch, and that's when we skip ahead. For me it's the overload of sappy overparenting by Michael over his son, George Michael. The point is already made; the two have a great bond, but it seems like half the show is about the less-than-funny stuff going on with George Michael and his dad. If I am facing 13 hours of viewing time ahead, I don't have time to sit through all the milquetoast.
  • This is a show about an extremely dysfunctional family. Funny at many times. Not to mention an amazingly great all-star cast!

When I first came across this show; I wasn't sure what to think. The first thing I noticed was the cast. Jason Bateman being the star of the show. Co-stars such as Will Arnett, Michael Cera, David Cross, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, and many others. Also this show is narrated by none other than the beloved Ron Howard. Some of these names may not be familiar, but their faces probably will be. Many other famous names have also made appearances on this show. The show itself can be very humorous. There will be a few little surprises. Arrested Development is a very creative idea. There are many shows about dysfunctional families, but I think Arrested Development takes that to a different level. One the negative side. I do not understand why they decided to have a bouncing camera. While this gives a semi-realistic feel; I wish they would have just kept it still. Overall this is a pretty good show. I'd say you have to check it out for yourself.
  • I get the sense that this show as just ahead of it's time, which would explain the troubles it had with getting renewed consistently.

After watching this show on occasion here and there over the years I really think that it was just made ahead of it's time, which I think explains the trouble its has had in the past. But I do think that it is a pretty funny show. I wouldn't say that it was a show for all ages because it is a more sophisticated brand of comedy but I still enjoyed watching it on occasion. The cast is made up a variety of people, a character for everyone in a sense and they are all very quirky and unique. They defenitely know how to work the guest star angle on this show as well, unlike some other shows where guest stars are often times unwanted and way overrated. Overall I'd say if you like unique off beat comedy shows then this is defenitely something for you.
  • It's OK

it's funny, shot in a reality type handheld video. it works. the jokes are funny, the punchlines are really good. this show is pretty good. the guest stars are even great, like julia dreyfus. the producers and the writers did a good job with this show. what makes this show work is the constant wackiness of the plot, nothing is taken too seriously, the punchlines keep on coming. this show provides loads of laughter. that's something expected from a comedy show. this show delivers the goods. the narration adds up to the comedic atmosphere of the show, when an episode finishes, you feel so much better.
  • i can't believe it

7.2
    i will never understand why this show did not take off. it was one of the best sitcoms to ever be on the fox network. i have to give the network credit for letting it last as long as it did. the best thing about the show was how well the actors played off of one another.
  • Arrested Development

7.9
    Arrested Development is a comedy show about a family who had everything then it lost everything it was a funny show most of the time but sometimes and a little boring and it wasn't funny at all and fox never wanted to give the show a real chance which remain me never tobe hopful that a good comdey not great comedy got a good run a really do not care that much for comedys as most of them are not funny at all but the show was funny most of the time that it was on the air all in all i like this show to bad it only lasted 3 season the is it THE END.
  • Many fine talents in this show, but i want to talk about the veteran...

7.9
    Jeffrey Tambor is a mad man and deserves a star on the walk of fame.

I first worked with him on Max Headroom back in the early \'80s and he has always been consistent in the characters he plays from judges on LA Law to Gary Shandling\'s boss on The Gary Shandling Show.

He\'s a great talent, and being one in Hollywood and staying sane is impossible, and so, he is a madman...a very good actor...a very good Jew too.

Perhaps he will use his sensitive vulnerability to do some work that folk of all ages will relate to and bring about some social raising of consciousness and change in this meglomanically US of A.
  • It isn't every day a show like "Arrested Development" comes along

It's not every day you come across a show with the history that the popular sitcom Arrested Development has. This show was on for three seasons and it got cancelled after the third season due to low ratings. A good number of audiences were upset by its cancellation, while some new audiences took a look back at the past seasons. And I guess critics and audiences alike really liked the past seasons enough to the point where this show is now officially back on the air only on Netflix.

Before I delve further into what I think of this show, it should be noted that I've only seen the first season of this show so far. In other words, this review will be solely based on season one. Based on what I've seen from season one of Arrested Development so far, I can understand why people like this show even though I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's one of my favorite shows yet. Arrested Development centers around Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman) who essentially tries to keep his dysfunctional family together and try to prevent certain family members from basically doing something stupid.

Among Michael's family members are his son (Michael Cera) who seems to try a little too hard to live up to his father's standards, his trouble- making father (Jeffrey Tambor), his alcoholic mother (Jessica Walter) who is judgmental of every family member. There's also his socially awkward younger brother (Tony Hale), his older brother (Will Arnett) who is an unsuccessful magician, his spoiled twin sister (Portia de Rossi), her husband (David Cross) who is also an actor, and their rebellious daughter (Alia Shawkat). This show basically follows these family members and whatever funny situations they experience.

Thinking about what to write for a show like this, given that I've only seen one season, is a challenge since there isn't much to analyze about either side really. I can't say that I'm a fan of either Michael Cera or Will Arnett, but I think they're tolerable in this show. I liked how in one episode I've seen, Will Arnett's character tries to break out of prison, gets beaten up in prison, is sent to the hospital, and in his hospital bed, he simply says "Ta-da". That was a good joke. If the actor came up with more comedic material like that, I'd be less mixed on him as a comedic actor. As for Michael Cera, he does do the same old routine he would continue on doing later in his career. His act works here though because it fits with the character he plays as opposed to just being awkward and tiresome.

This is one of those shows in which I am able to identify with the characters and yet unable to identify with them both at the same time. Tony Hale's character, aka the socially awkward brother, is a great example. Like this specific character, I seem to get along more with people older than me than I do with people younger than me. But at the same time, I wouldn't date anyone that was at least 10 years older than me because that would be too weird. Portia de Rossi's character, aka the spoiled twin sister, is another noteworthy example. While I'm willing to admit that I'm used to living the good life and not having to take care of everything, I'm also pretty careful when it comes to deciding how much money to spend on a weekly basis unlike Portia de Rossi's character.

The other characters are interesting including Michael's father, played by Jeffrey Tambor. I like how the in the first few episodes when he's in prison, he says to his son that he actually likes it there and claims that it's like being on vacation. That's one way of looking at time in prison, and as a writer, I'm up for looking at things through different points of view. David Cross' character, aka the husband of Michael's sister, is also entertaining. He's got plenty of funny moments particularly when he and his wife attend couples therapy in one episode and this therapy turns into an acting rehearsal of sorts for him as the therapist has taken interest in his profession. I don't want to reveal too much but that story in that episode is hilarious because of David Cross.

Based on what I've seen so far of Arrested Development, I'll continue watching the show a little more. While I don't think that I'd declare it one of the greatest television sitcoms like everyone else seems to, I do understand why critics and audiences generally like it. I like most of the characters, I think that most of the jokes hit their targets, the acting in general is well done, the storytelling is efficient and so is the narration by Ron Howard that accompanies it. Even if a couple episodes or jokes aren't quite up my alley, I'd still say that it's a show that's worth your time.
  • Masterpiece

What can I say about this TV show, It still stands out as one of this decades best sitcom. Now that I have seen both Arrested Development and 30 Rock it is hard to compare the two. They are both equally as good, maybe 30 Rock edges it but that is obviously lending the comedy used in Arrested Development. One thing I loved about this series was that each episode is so fast at storytelling that you can watch the show again and again and notice and laugh at things you never noticed before. The cast is brilliant my personal favourite performances in the show is fro Will Arnett who plays GOB, the character just cracks me up everytime he's on screen.
  • Someone bring it back!

this show was recommended to me by a friend, who in turn first turned in as he is a huge ''Happy Days'' fan and heard this show is like a renuion.
    God bless that friend!!!!!
    Not since the early days of Friends/Fraiser, has there been such a funnt,sharp,cutting-ege,cevlerly written comedy.
    It focuses on the bluth family, and their weird,wild, and downright wacky adventures, through the eyes of Michael[the good son, who always has to sort out everyones problems],Lindsey[his sexy sister],Tobas[Lindseys wife,who is proberly the wriedest mem. of the family],and the rest of the gang.
    Watch it at every possible chance, as it has been cancelled recently and by watching the replys you could save it!
  • I love it!

I've just reached season 3 but I love it. It's great... it's crazy and fun and has some really clever jokes. Most of the characters are really likeable and the plots are ridiculous (in a good way). If you're looking for a sitcom to watch, this would be a great option. I particularly enjoy Michael and George Michael's relationship and Buster, Tobias and Gob's ridiculous dialogue :)

• Just as my faith had built!

I flip-flopped quite a bit during the first 10 episodes (I binged hard), but when my roommate came home I re-watched the first 5 episodes again. Knowing how some of the Easter eggs play out definitely brings back the humour of AD that I remember. It seemed like the series was too focused on dropping these Easter eggs that the first half of the season felt pretty bland. There were definitely a few great moments as AD will always be known for, but it never felt like if had that consistent substance I loved the previous 3 seasons of AD for.

However, in the later episodes as most of the eggs have now been dropped, AD really picked back up. I can't say that I am fully in love with the 'let's focus on one character' model they emphasized this season as it really did leave out a lot of comedy from each episode. There were definitely times I felt that I'd gone too long without seeing Tobias or GOB for example.

And much was the same in the final episode. However, the end lost me. No spoilers, as I'm sure everyone expects there to be something impactful happening at the end of a season finale but I can't say I agree with this end one bit.

Sure, the humour is still there, but this ended way too... heavy for a AD finale. Yes, there always is a big moment to end an AD season, but this didn't set me up for a 'wonder what's next' feeling I want out of AD. It's too serious, too... drama. I wanted an AD style over-the-top "OH SNAP! Wonder what's next! That was hilarious!" finale. Not this.

All that said, I love that AD is back and look forward to re-watching this season with less bingey friends.
  • Such a classic!

Great show. If you really love it, check out the best recurring jokes at HyperVocal: http://hypervocal.com/entertainment/2012/20-best-arrested-development-inside-jokes-and-recurring-gags/
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10