Arrested Development

Netflix Premiered Nov 02, 2003 Between Seasons

Silver_Sword_14

Arrested Development Fan Reviews (551)

• Somebody please defend the show against this critique

WHY?? Why do people think this show is 'genius'? I agree this show is funny, however it is nowhere NEAR the 'genius' level. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the show's humor relies mainly on quips and dramatic irony that stems from idiotic characters who's motives and actions are all basically the same (other than Michael) - selfishness. This is funny because it creates interesting situations and opportunities for the writers to be clever with funny quips. My problem with this is though, is that the characters don't actually change! Nobody grows or learns or well... develops! This is what makes the show mediocre in my opinion. The show continues to add subplots and new characters and diversions - which are funny! - but never truly moves foreword with the characters. Therefore, in the end I don't care at all about any of the characters because it turns out they are all selfish shallow or idiotic people who will never change. Thus I feel like the show is watching dumb people do dumb things and laughing at the irony of it all. While I agree this is funny, it is not 'genius' in any regard.