Arrested Development

Visiting Ours

Aired Unknown Dec 07, 2003 on Netflix

• "Daddy horny, Michael."

Despite the fact that Kitty was in the previous episode, "Arrested Development" did indeed air some of their episodes out of order, which means sometimes, there's less focus on new characters we know nothing about. "Charity Drive" didn't do much to explain who Kitty (played perfectly by Judy Greer) was, but "Visiting Ours" truly introduces us to her and her role within the Bluth family. We get the same tightly written scripts, quick jokes, visual gags and overall high quality that we've come to expect from the show at this point in time.

Michael's goal in this episode is to find a series of files of international accounts that would explain why in the world his father is in prison. The problem is, George Bluth is more obsessed with prison softball than his predicament ("I'm catcher or I'm nothing!) As a result, Michael vows to never see him in prison again. Instead, he searches for the accounts by turning to Kitty, George's tight-lipped secretary who won't reveal anything but DOES have a big crush on Gob. Michael forms a plan: have Gob use Kitty to learn the location of the accounts. But Gob finds Kitty unattractive.

Meanwhile, Michael's attempts to avoid his father are foiled after George Michael decides he wants to visit his grandfather in prison (this is, of course, only a ploy to impress Maeby with his bravery). Maeby, meanwhile, learns her parents are having marital issues (Bob Odenkirk guest stars as the therapist here).

The episode really kicks into high gear after Michael decides to cure his father's loneliness by bringing his mother to the prison for a conjugal visit, despite the insane amount of awkwardness involved. I don't want to give away too much, but the final few minutes are among the best that the show has ever done.

"Visiting Ours" was another one of those episodes filled with dozens of little jokes throughout: the first appearance of Tobias' never-nude shorts, the near-kiss between Tobias and his therapist, Gob saying "I f****d Kitty!" with a look of glee on his face, the quote I included in the summary that is actually funnier the second time they show it and countless others (George Michael sitting in fear in the stair car while prisoners use it to escape is pretty hilarious as well).

It's tough to criticize episodes of a show when it's so consistently good, but this is another darn fine effort by everyone involved.