An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Arrow S02E13: "Heir to the Demon"

So what did Arrow teach us this week, class? That's right: The truth is a terrible thing and should never ever be revealed to anyone. Bury your secrets very deep, buy off your OB, and join an association of ruthless assassins, because the truth will only make people hate you.

Unless you're Felicity. In that case, the truth will strengthen the bond with that guy you're head over heels for... except he just kissed another woman. Okay, yeah. The truth sucks.

All kidding aside, "Heir to the Demon" paid off a lot of the table-setting Arrow's been doing since it returned from the winter break, particularly with regard to Laurel's fall from her already shaky place in the world. The truth of Sara's existence only made things go from bad to worse for everyone's favorite punching bag.

Of course, we don't know the whole truth yet, and neither does Laurel. This makes all the difference. Before everyone kicks up the "Good grief, Laurel, get over yourself and your it's-all-about-me attitude!" reprise, let's take a deep breath and realize that Laurel's angry speech to Sara was pretty damn justified. Sara was gone for five years, and spent some of that time on the freighter and the island, and then some more of it with the League. When Nyssa found her, she was starving and nearly dead. But Sara didn't think to maybe try and make her way to an American consulate or embassy? Pick up a phone? There's still story to be told here, for both the audience and the show's characters, but without it, Laurel's got a pretty solid case for being angry.

Even without all the facts of the situation, Laurel's anger has been simmering since the Queen's Gambit sank. She never dealt with that pain. She plastered over it with her on-again-off-again relationship with Tommy, helped Quentin get into recovery, and worked at a legal aid office. Tommy's death only added to her strife. It became a hunt for the vigilante and then it became booze and pills. Nothing worked. Nothing made the pain go away. And, really, until Tommy's death, Laurel probably didn't even realize she still had any pain.

So to have Sara just return, happy as ever, to smiles and hugs from Quentin and Dinah—what's a little abduction when your dead daughter turns out to be alive?—only revealed how little Laurel's been able to move on. Oliver at least got to work through some of his issues by shooting half of Starling City's criminal element with arrows. Diggle had his Deadshot crusade. There's a sense of purpose in such actions—a goal that, once completed, allows a person to say, "I'm better now." Laurel tried all sorts of things to get to that "I'm better now" place, but all of them were taken away. Or, in the case of the drugs, her support system wants to take them away.

Yes, it's self-destructive and self-centered, but anger can be like that. Anger at yourself, anger at others, it warps everything around you, and sometimes you simply drown in it, even if you know you're behaving irrationally. It's shameful and horrible, and saying you were wrong, that you need help, just isn't easy. That's the situation Laurel has found herself in, while we get to sit and judge her for being a horrible (fictional) human being. 

But Sara's not immune to these issues, either. We don't have a full sense of her first year dealing with Ivo, or her suffering before Nyssa found her. After joining the League, who knows what all she had to do. We do know that it involved murder—she was an assassin—and that it was scraping away at her soul, likely in the same way that made Diggle worry about Oliver's soul back in Season 1. There's shame and trauma at play here, piled onto her regret over joining Oliver on the boat in the first place. And it all probably built up in her mind until it became something along the lines of "They will not accept me. I've changed too much." 

So while Sara's motivations for avoiding her family may have been "I'm staying away from Starling City to protect my family from the League...," they were also "...and to protect myself from them." It's similar to the emotional distance that Oliver struggled to put between himself and his old life in Season 1; Sara simply added a geographical layer as well. Hell, you don't get much more serious in your attempt to avoid dealing with your trauma than pretending to be dead. 

Neither Lance sister is wrong in their feelings, but neither is right, either. That's the tricky thing about these emotional cocktails Arrow is mixing, cocktails that are right at home with the show's bigger concerns about coping and trauma. Some aspects are far more exciting—assassins! Crime-fighting!—than others, but just because some of them don't involve fight choreography and stunt work doesn't mean they're less important. Laurel's arc hasn't been the best managed, but it is starting to come together in ways that, frankly, I wouldn't have expected, ways that I attribute largely to the decision to have Sara not be dead (something I was rolling my eyes about before the season started). Without Sara as a catalyst, who knows where Laurel would've gotten to, if anywhere?

The Lances weren't the only ones dealing with truths and lies this week as Felicity discovered the identity of Thea's father after Moira and her new campaign shifted some funds from Tempest to buy the silence of Moira's doctor. This in turn led to Felicity confronting Moira, Moira attempting to manipulate Felicity into not telling Oliver, Felicity telling Oliver anyway, and everything blowing up in Moira's face.

And now I feel like I need to revisit large swatches of Season 1, probably post-Walter's kidnapping, to re-examine Moira's behavior. She was looking pure soap-opera-villain smug as she preyed on Felicity's emotions to keep Felicity silent, but I don't know that Moira has earned that smugness on her own. Certainly Oliver's "You're a lying liar who lies!" was attached to a bunch of stuff from Season 1, but a lot of it had was attached to Malcolm's influence and Moira keeping her head above water any way that she could. Moira's actions weren't the machinations of a master—or even willing—plotter. Perhaps I'm off base, and you can all refresh me on this matter in the comments. At the very least, Moira keeping this secret was still an effort to protect herself and her family, and that's all she's ever really been concerned with. 

FROM THE QUIVER

– I never watched Spartacus, so I had zero exposure to Katrina Law prior to this episode. I thought she was pretty good, and if you enjoyed her, you'll be glad to know that she's slated to return before the season is through.

– The Arrow Cave is now super-crowded with Sara (probably) joining. Diggle's going to end up working as a bouncer at Verdant. Or becoming drinking buddies with Laurel. I would watch those webisodes.

– Diggle's head tilt as he watched Sara use the salmon ladder? Priceless.

– "I wasn't trying to be a bitch." "Title of your autobiography."

– A non-DC Comics note for you all that's also a rare comic book recommendation. Marvel released the first issue of the rebooted Ms. Marvel title today, and it features the new character Kamala Kahn, a Pakistani-American 16-year-old who assumes the Ms. Marvel mantle. It's a super-charming Issue No. 1, and is easily accessible even if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of the Marvel Comics Universe, so I encourage you to pick it up.

– Like many U.S. broadcast shows and a few cable shows, too—I WILL MISS YOU, ARCHER!—Arrow (heh, Archer/Arrow) will enter a Winter Olympics hibernation to avoid getting its ratings teeth kicked in by figuring skating, hockey, skiing, and curling. We'll reconvene on February 26 to discuss "Time of Death." See you all then!

What did you think of "Heir to the Demon"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

Next Episode

AIRS ON 10/5/2016

Season 5 : Episode 1

502 Comments
Comments (502)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Title of your autobiography" fuckin rekt
Flag
Sara's wig is painfully awful. Like the worst.

But the best part of this episode for me was Nyssa properly pronouncing Ra's a Ghul's name!! Such a small thing, but man did it make me happy.

Also pretty awesome to see 3 people from Spartacus show up on arrow. If Liam shows up next season I just might lose my shit.
Flag
Even though I didn't like Oliver's reaction to the truth about Thea's parentage, and no matter how incredulous Moira running for Mayor is, I like this new stuff with her. Blood asked a really good question. Who is the real Moira Queen? I know that after Robert died, Moira had a change of heart about the Undertaking, but was under the threat of Merlin. But what about way back when all this stuff first started. Once upon a time, she and Robert were proactive members of this Undertaking business. What was she like then? I look forward to the dark side of Moira. She's more capable than we've been led to believe. Actually, then again, the show has always played her quite middle of the road. In any case, her running for mayor is not as crazy as you think. People DO like redemption stories. But Moira has to play it right so that the public doesn't start asking questions like Blood. Anywho, I REALLY like Laurel's character this episode. Her freakout at Sara was so justified. My sister and I have had some major spats, and they weren't about anything as big as faking your death and sleeping with your boyfriend. so yeah. I hope the writers continue to improve her story. I did not like the Nyssa x Sara stuff. It was definitely a shock, but the kind that feels out of left field. Some backstory there would have been interesting. Also, I really hate how these characters just constantly hook up with each other. They aren't just two-timers, but ten-timers. But I must say that song at the end with the make out scene just pulled you in.
More+
Flag
this was such a good episode. i found myself watching the time and saying don't end.
one note though...I totally saw olivercand sara hooking up, but i can't help but be pissed at Oliver for being a hypicrite. earlier this season he told Felicity that he couldn't be with someone he really could care about because of the life he lives. If that's the case then why does he get to be with Sara. Are we supposed to believe that he doesn't care about her? I don't think so. The writers have given us too much of them together to believe otherwise.
Flag
So, Oliver found out about Thea's parentage. I loved when Felicity was telling her life story and was like "...so I don't want to lose someone I loved as much as my dad ever again!" and Oliver immediately assumed she was talking about him. Gawd, how full of yourself are you, bro??? It didn't help he was right, either.

And jeez, that Moira. I'm still not loving this (annoyingly similar to real life) politics plotline. She dresses like Hillary Clinton but acts like an evil snakey Dick Cheney. Don't make me vote for noted arch-villain Sebastian Blood!

I do understand why Laurel is reasonably angry with Sara and why Sara couldn't bring herself to face her family, but let's just say I was very disappointed when all the Lances weren't killed in a convenient warehouse fire. And I'll continue to be disappointed with each episode that fails to do so.
Flag
Aww, I kind of love Quentin! He annoyed me in season 1, but he's grown on me a lot since then.
Flag
I thought Oliver's reaction to his mother's truth was not proportionate. She is not the first or the last woman to do that. Of course that does not make this right, but as you said she was trying to protect her family and it's probably things pilling up from Season 1. And Laurel's reaction was quite understandable. I really liked the flashbacks. They showed a normal time when no-one had any problems. It is nice to be reminded of that. But I think that they have to finally reach a point with Laurel.
Flag
He did just learn about it - it's possible that his anger will fade in time. Or not, this is TV. :)
Flag
In this episode we saw a different oliver, a different arrow, he trying to make sarah stay and nyssa coming for her, we see a oliver with his head in the world, and thinking a bit better and clever. He now knows his enemies and will see even more of them, but everything at his time we expect.... Oliver's mother has always kept that secret but now she is seeing that's hard to keep secrets, since she doesn0t even know oliver is the arrow and we hope she'll know later to see her expectations..
Flag
Meh.

So much screaming and over the top drama. No island? Why can Oliver win in combat against Nyssa, who has probably spent her entire life training to be an assassin? And I don't like the way the assassins storyline wrapped up so neatly. Now Sara is free to just hang around. And speaking of a crowded Arrow cave, what happened to Roy? Are we really going to have Roy and Sara hanging around now? Can't say I'm very excited by that.

However, Slade is getting directly involved. Very much yes.
Flag
Agreed about the assassin storyline, too. All these eps where she claimed she would never be able to be free, and then all of a sudden, poof? How con-veeeeee-nient.
Flag
Oh yes, and Oliver's reaction to his mum ... what the hell? He's one to talk about lying to people. I'm sure Moira didn't exactly find it easy to keep that secret, but she knew she had to for Thea's sake. And he blames her for having to keep the secret himself, when it's Felicity who told him (and yes, she should've kept it to herself - there was literally no good that could come of telling him).

Or is he pissed that she cheated on her husband (who was cheating on her)? I think there was something about him taking his girlfriend's sister on a boat with him?
Flag
While I agree Oliver's reaction was, in some ways, over the top (especially given his background), my guess is he was angry because Moira had claimed she'd come clean. Both he and Thea accepted the affair without any blame, and even the news that Robert had cheated on Moira.

Up to this point, though, Oliver's always defended his mother, even when Digg warned him she was manipulative. I think at this point, he realizes Digg's right.

I personally think they're both wrong not to tell Thea. Not only might there be medical issues, but the Queens are prime blackmail bait. Just because she paid off the doctor doesn't mean the secret's gone forever. Not telling Thea means she could be vulnerable later down the line, and the news would be a -lot- more traumatic then. Besides, *Moira* knows Malcolm's still running around. What sense does it make to leave that kind of weapon out for him to use against Thea?

As far as Oliver not being told...I don't think that was a winnable situation. I don't think Felicity wanted to tell him, but I also don't think either she or Digg will ever lie to Oliver. They're probably the only two people Oliver knows who -won't-, which is why he can trust them. Too, if she didn't tell Oliver, it gave Moira something to use against her, and she doesn't trust Moira (and rightfully so.) Coming clean's the only alternative. Maybe the news will hurt, but at least he'd know he hadn't been betrayed by his true friends.
More +
Flag
You make some highly convincing points.
Flag
IMO: No, I didn't like this episode. Not much decent plot and we're back to a lot more of Pauline Perils of the Lance Sisters, which I never find interesting.

First: I don't like Sara. At all. She comes across as having zero honor and being entirely self-serving. She is willing to torture people for Ivo. I don't care what your motivations are; no heroine would help Dr. Mengele to save her own skin. She swears an oath to the League of Assassins to save her own life and has a long term relationship with Nyssa, who clearly did love her, even if she was a stalkeresque nutcase. Then, when it was 'inconvenient' or, excuse me, 'my soul's being too eaten away by all the killing', she wants to break her oath and come home.

Probably the one good thing about Sara's involvement was that it was the first time I didn't want to bitchslap Laurel and tell her to grow some ovaries. (Seriously: Am so very tired of Laurel's emotional temperature being taken six times an episode.) Finally, Laurel had an issue that I could understand. Unfortunately, it proves more of what I don't like about Sara. What kind of person sleeps with the man she *knows* her sister loves? It's clear she had an opportunity to break it off, and she didn't just to spite Laurel. She had to know her parents and family would be grieving, and yet she chose to let them suffer until *she* decided *she* couldn't be an assassin any more. She didn't seek her release from her vow for her family; she did it for herself. Again, self-centered. Let's face it: she's a user and a somewhat despicable one at that.

I don't like anti-heroes or anti-heroines, and Sara's shaping up to be one. Given the fact that she was willing to help Ivo attack and kill the two people who DID help him, I can't even see why Oliver would EVER be able to trust her. Certainly I'd have some thoughts about whether or not she deserved forgiveness.

Besides, her continued involvement doesn't promise much in the way of entertainment. One angsty hero who's doing what he does to expiate his sins is okay. Two of them is going to be too much.

And by the way, IIRC, *Sara* Lance was NOT the Black Canary. Certainly her powers aren't the same. So how canonical is she, really?

To preface what I'm about to say next, I didn't go into this show with the intention of shipping *anyone*. My choices rarely agree with the writers and fanbois, and I didn't want my viewing experience ruined with the constant ship-sniping.

That said, I'm not happy with how the Felicity situation is being handled for a number of reasons. The reason I like Felicity's involvement is that she's usually some relief from the angst and drama. In fact, while watching the first season, I was starting to wonder if the whole show was going to be nothing more than a mashup of Lost and Hamlet until she came in to talk to Walter. She was funny, when nobody else had been. The scenes in which she's with Oliver and Digg are pretty much the only ones where you see any decent banter and humor -- or at least, they used to be. And you NEED humor in a superhero show. A little bit of laughter or at least lightness gives more contrast to the more hazardous situations. I also think her involvement is why the Digg/Oliver relationship ended up solidifying into the duo they are now. Without her involvement, I think the two of them would have ended up chest-bumping for far longer than they did.

I'm also annoyed that after creating a decent geek girl character who actually *adds* to the show, this episode is giving us some pretty good indication that the writers are apparently going to do to her what happens to EVERY geek girl character in EVERY series. It's an axiom. First, she gets shunted to the friend/baby sister zone by her crush. Then, if the writers are feeling merciful (or rather, if they don't want to risk losing viewers by shortchanging the heroine), they'll throw her a bone in the form of some suitably geeky romantic interest as a consolation prize. Sometimes (as in the case with Chloe on Smallville), they'll give her someone *almost* as good as the hero, but only after he's been rejected by someone else (i.e., Lois dumping Oliver for Clark) and she's supposed to be grateful for leftovers.

If male geek heroes were treated this way, I'd shrug and go on. If there was even some variety, I wouldn't care. I just get tired of seeing it over and over. Yes, I'm glad we're finally seeing female geeks on television instead of the endless June Cleavers, Marcia Bradys and spunky career girls we used to see, but what's the point if they're never treated as an actual viable character?

For the record, I would have been absolutely fine with Barry if there'd never been any indication that Felicity wasn't interested in Oliver. As it stands, though, Barry's going to be the guy she settles for, which really isn't fair to either character, since I like Barry, too.

Personally, I think they wanted to drive up just enough interest in Felicity that they can shunt her off to the Flash series and hopefully tentpeg the new show. It's not going to work in my case, but hey, they apparently think it'll work for a lot of others.
More+
Flag
Does anyone remember Smallville. Oliver & Felicity's relationship reminds me of Clark's and Chloe. Felicity will find her happy ending...but not with Arrow...with Flash/Barry probably!
I still don't like Laurel! I didn't like her sober, I despise her drunk! Even flashback Laurel seemed an unsympathetic character.
Did anyone think that Nyssa let go of Sarah too easily. I mean one minute I am killing you and your family if you don't come with me, next minute Sarah's 'no more killing' is enough to make her leave???!
I am really interested in what Slade is planning next! Any guesses?
Flag
I think it was rather the fact that Sarah was willing and ready to die rather than go back with Nyssa that finally convinced her to let her go.
Flag
I guess I don't understand why people are so upset/disgusted with Oliver/Sara. I want Olicity wholeheartedly but at the end of the day they are not together. In fact, they have a ways to go before i see them finally getting together. Was Oliver and Sara turning to each other the wisest decision, probably not as it opens a crap ton can of worms. Which will make for some interesting drama within team arrow. But, like Felicity and Oliver, Sara and Oliver have a connection based mainly on their experiences on the Island. I don't think we can devalue their relationship anymore than we can devalue his relationship with Felicity. I will say this though, give Felicity a freaking love interest or bring someone from her past (not parents) because I find it slightly ridiculous that everyone else can get some and all she gets is some barely there flirtation with Barry(while sweet) is currently in a coma.
Flag
I'm upset because in mind it takes away from everything he supposedly felt for Laurel all last season. Yes Laurel has been crazy annoying this season, but that is still IMO his OTP (as much as I love the idea of him and Felicity). Sara was a childish mistake, a way to drive away the woman he didn't think he deserved. That they've written in this "connection" between them, feels forced and convenient. It's a 180 degree turn and it annoys me.
Flag
Honestly, i feel like the only one who has a real right to feel pissed is Laurel. But beyond that she does need to take responsibility for her actions, there is a point where you can no longer blame everyone else for your problems. Granted, Oliver and Sara spent x amount of years together on the island so no matter what I do believe they have a strong connection that ties them together. I just never bought the whole Laurel/Oliver relationship mainly because of how Pre-island Oliver treated her. That's not love no matter how many ways you spin it. They don't work before and after the island. But the build up between Sara and Oliver in 2x13 wasn't there (for me at least) and the way they conducted themselves in 2x14 was selfish and idiotic in terms of showing up to the lance family dinner and then feeling offended/surprised by Laurel's reaction. And that scene where L apologized to S felt rushed and not entirely deserved. I feel like the writers are hastily trying to solve their Laurel "problem". Had they left her a lawyer who was fighting for those who needed help without the unnecessary substance abuses and Moira's trial , we wouldn't have this issue. It's shoddy writing, IMO.
More +
Flag
LOL, right there in your post you outlined why this Ollie/Sara thing feels awful. But I think I can understand a bit what you mean about Laurel/Ollie thing last season, for the most part they didn't have the greatest chemistry. There were a few moments though when I honestly believed that he loved her, and that he regretted his immaturity in sleeping with her sister and wished he had just been honest with her.

If we look at Ollie in the past, he clearly was someone who didn't feel his own worth. His immature acting out, excessive partying and bad behaviour was a way to hide the truth about his family life and his own self doubts. Let's throw a party seems to be the family crisis motto. I assumed that he never really saw a future with Laurel because eventually she would see in him what he saw in himself. So why not spare himself some long term pain, by getting with her sister and blowing the relationship to kingdom come.

Last season Oliver said (paraphrasing) that while he was on the island he realized how much loved Laurel, and what he would give to see her again. He was so sure of this love that he torpedoed her relationship with Tommy by seducing her, hours after telling Tommy to do what takes to get her back.

Fine, their situation has it's problems (lot's of problems), but they succeeded in getting me to accept that deep down inside they do really love each other. And that even though this relationship isn't going to work out anytime soon, at least they're on the same page about how they ultimately feel. Now they can both move on and date other people right?

Nope. Suddenly season 2 we find out Sara wasn't just a breakup f*ck. They actually had "feelings" for each other. BARF!

And now that she's "alive" again they can just pick up where they left off and to hell with Laurel.

So instead of us moving on from the Laurel/Oliver show at least temporarily, we're right back in it with all kinds of annoying selfish and incredulous behaviour.

Shoddy writing is right.

Also:

Oliver's hypocritical tear down of everyone he thinks has let him down is ridiculous. Where is Diggle to call him on his sh*t. He want's Laurel to take responsibility for her actions? Well maybe don't seduce your best friends girlfriend, or throw a party for the women you cheated on your girlfriend with, or show up as her date to the first family dinner they've had since she returned and admit that you're sleeping with her again.

He knows his father constantly cheated on his mother, but he's angry because she had one indiscretion? Or because when she found out the father of her child was a lunatic psychopath she thought maybe she should keep that information to herself?

Give me a break Ollie. Self righteousness is not a virtue.
More +
Flag
Wow, lol. But yea I though his rip at Laurel was the push she needed. Everyone else was enabling her (even him in the beginning). Tip toeing around an addict and allowing her to partake in her damaging behavior helps no one.

But yea he is a hypocrite, but I think that's an innate quality in people. I guess I wasn't upset with Oliver/Sara because I don't honestly believe it will last in the long run. But for right now, whatever. I just want more screen time for Diggle and Felicity, preferably with them having their own storylines/subplots. That's what I think is Arrow's biggest flaw. There's only so much of the Lances I can take, and it isn't much, lol.

This is only season 2, and Arrow has been picked for a third season. I'm hoping for the writers to expand more on characters personal lives to further round the characters out.

What annoys me is how some people are pushing for Oliver and Felicity now. Or claiming Felicity loves Oliver. I think fanfic blurs the line between reality and fiction, lol. They have a long way to go before I can see them getting together. Oliver is selfish and incredibly self-involved. Until he learns to start thinking of others, any relationship he has has little chance to actually succeeding. I think to some degree Sara is similar(though she does care about Sin). Props to the writers to slowly developing their relationship, it's nice to see the steady transition from acquaintances to friends to partners. But yea as things currently are, there's no way I want Oliver/Felicity to get together. I can wait.
More +
Flag
Agreed. As I said in my post, though, I wish Barry weren't going to be a consolation prize. I *like* Barry, but at this point, I'd think there's always going to be the nagging realization that Oliver's the guy she can never have. That just stinks on ice, because that's not what I call a happy ending for either one.

I think Oliver and Sara do have the shared experience on the island in common. What they both need, though, is a bridge *off* the island so they can go on instead of just being figuratively trapped there for the rest of their life. I'm not sure they can do that for each other. I do think Felicity and Digg are Oliver's 'bridge', though.
Flag
I know that Arrow marries the Black Canary, I just wish the writers didn't make Felicity more likable and have better chemistry than Sara/Black Canary. Like why would you cause the audience to like Felicity more and then make the person Arrow is supposed to be with less likable? I almost with Felicity didn't exist in that case...if that made any sense :) Ok enough complaining.
Flag
I agree, Sara is a pain, as is Laurel. Olly belongs with Felicity. She'd be loyal and keep his secret.
Flag
I've never really been one to "ship" people, but this is one time where I really wish Oliver and Felicity had a thing. So far, it'd be a completely believable and in depth relationship. Since Sara and Oliver have a shared tragedy, that's perfectly viable, if not more, as well. I just feel like the writers and directors aren't executing that as well as they could be.
Flag
I just wish they would kill Felicity off. I really don't want to suffer through "will they? or won't they?" season after season. I won't be able to enjoy the show if that's how its going to be.
Flag
Felicity is the best girl on the show and the most fun and realistic.
Flag

ARROW After Show - Season 2 Episode 13

Flag
Was anyone else confused why Roy wasn't in this episode? He just joined Team Arrow!
Flag
I read an interview with the producers and apparently there was a Roy/Nyssa scene that was cut for time. Apparently Ollie dispatches Roy to guard Laurel at the hospital and Roy and Nyssa mix it up when she kidnaps Dinah. She supposedly is confused/intrigued when her snake venom doesn't drop him like she expects. It sounds like a cool scene. Hopefully it will appear on the DVD. Or a similar encouter will be had later in the season when Nyssa returns.
Flag
I cant help to think they could have kept that scene in and cut out some of the unnecessary stuff from the flashbacks.
Flag
I personally found Oliver's decision to basically disown his mother rather harsh.

I get being angry about all the lies, as that's a justifiable cause for upset; yet I don't see how Thea being Malcolm Merlyn's daughter is the diabolical breaking point. Moira had an affair (b/c her husband was already fooling around on her) with him before anyone knew he was a murderous psychopath. She regrets the decision but doesn't regret the outcome (aka Thea) and, well, what're you going to do? Knowing the truth won't change the fact, and in this case, knowing only causes more pain. And how could she tell anyone, especially Thea, after learning that that your daughter's biological father was responsible for the death of her perceived father and old brother?

I realize lies aren't the best way to strengthen family bonds. That being said, while I understand Oliver's rage, his "you're only my mother in name now" spiel struck me as a wee bit hypocritical. God knows, as much as I love the hunk, he's done things he's not proud of. And he's lied, a lot - which he justifies as saying it's in the best interest of those he's loved. Which I believe was Moira's belief also.

Maybe it's just my maternal radar malfunctioning, but after inheriting Robert's baggage with Merlyn (ala Red Widow) and dealing with the constant duress hanging over her and what remained of her family, I think Moira had to adapt to survive - become a manipulator or be manipulated - and she's now using those skills for good. You don't have to like playing the game to be good at it. Her actions might not have always been golden, but she's not an evil character. The world isn't painted so black and white, and Arrow does a great job of capturing the essence of that in its characters, be they hero or villain.
More+
Flag
He cheated with Sara so he is one to talk about affairs. Moira is tough but being disowned by her son may drive her off the edge.
Flag
"Because of the life that i lived, i just think that it's better to not be with some one that i could really care about!" Words spoken by the Queen of failed relationships. Sara pls, get away from this guy asap! Can't wait for the next show when the T - BAG comes to town!
Flag
Okay! Just remembered you're the black canary. Keep on with the smooching!
Flag
Anyone noticed that Moira's speech was held at the airport?
Flag
THOUGHTS:
*It seemed really odd having zero Roy in this episode.
*Why was Oliver hitting a massive tyre with a sledge hammer? No one has mentioned this?!
*Felicity telling Oliver about the lies scene was beautiful
*Moira intimidating Felicity scene was awesome
*Oliver confronting Moira scene was a killer
*Final scene: WTF? (I like Sarah, thats not changed, but poor Felicity!)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Hitting the tire with the sledgehammer is related to some kind of strength training or circuit training. It's an actual thing, though it did look weird in the foundry lol
Flag
It was great to see Katrina Law again after Spartacus. Someone to keep Manu company.

I'm kind of on the fence about Arrow recently, or even for the most part of this season. Some things done right, some things done wrong (hello, Roy's superpowers).

Caity Lotz's acting really grates on me sometimes, and then other times it's alright. But I can't fully embrace Sara the character as a result.
For once I actually didn't mind Laurel, especially in the flashbacks. At least they tried to provide a reasoning for her reaction, as over the top as it was.

I don't get Felicity's awful timing when it came to telling Oliver the truth, and I don't get Oliver's absolutely idiotic reaction even more so. He knew about the affair already, what's the "I am so mortally wounded by this revelation" deal about? But Moyra not mentioning that Malcolm is still alive... sigh. A tad too much forced drama.
At least it's good to have Walter around again, for whatever reasons.
Flag
Staff
I have missed Walter, it's true.
Flag
It's not Walter--it's an LMD. The real Walter never came back after growing a spine (and some scruples) and walking out on Moira, and would never brush off Felicity after her role in saving his life (even though he was obviously not aware of how pivotal of a role she had, he had to suspect that she had somehow gone to the Arrow for help, seeing as how the only other person who knew why he'd been kidnapped was Moira).

Ok, well, as inconsistent as Arrow's writers can be, at least they're not MAOS inconsistent. This year.

Flag
The brush off from Walter made sense because Moira had already told him she planned to use that secret fund to pay off the doctor. That's what their conversation about needing to take care of her OB was all about. Walter may even have suggested that she use those funds.
Flag
Granted, that was the motive given, but having rewatched parts of "The Undertaking," "Darkness on the Edge of Town," and "City of Heroes," it seems to me like such a step off course or even backward for Walter to shift back almost to the pilot in terms of his interaction with Felicity and his support of Moira. Character growth has been a real issue for the writers all along (look how far they've derailed many fans' connection to Laurel), and here they've taken a character that they actually started to develop (once they remembered to re-include him last year--thinking of Noel's comment about the ham-handed "We haven't talked about Walter lately" dialogue), and now seem to have forgotten that they did so.

(Or even forget Felicity for a moment--remember how Walter made a point of going to Thea and hugging her when he left Moira? All of that apparently has gone out the window for him, as she surely won't forgive him any more easily than her mother over the coverup.)

I realize that Walter and company have their own agenda for pushing Moira as mayor that has little to do with their belief in her leadership (namely, keeping the more liberal rhetoric of Blood out of the one-percenters' pockets)--it's just that I had started to like Walter as a mature role model who sincerely invested in the show's twentysomethings' lives.

More +
Flag
Last season they had the excuse that Colin Salmon was prancing around in sequins and lycra to keep him off screen, this season they have no excuse.
Flag
So, this episode was a mix of everything, action, drama, romance...more than the others have been so far.
What i liked: Nyssa Raatko, everything about her, actress, story, action and of course THE KISS, Sara coming from the dead for mom and Laurel, Felicity's back-story, Slade who said he 'would take care of it', Sara and Oliver hooking up (may be too soon, but they are honouring the canon here plus they are really almost the same with all their pain, suffering , anger, guilt, redemption...), scene with Arrow and Black Canary on bike, Moira storyline (seems like she always been on the edge but in last episodes they are really pushing her to def be manipulative liar but not evil evil and i like it although still don't get whole mayor thing...)
What i didn't like: well story holes like always, but that is only because i am a true fan of this show so i mean well :) it feels like they have started really too many stories and everyone's asking where is Isobel, what happened to Roy and when will they pull Dig out of his ikebana role. Oliver's reaction surprised me, not because i think he's hypocrite (he lies to protect his family all the time), but because he forgave her for being accomplice in murder of 500 people plus he knew about his dad cheating on his mom all the time and he knew about her affair with Malcolm. Lance family drama, seriously again? It's like it never ends. I know this is CW but still, we all like Arrow because it's a bit darker and less soapy. I'm really intrigued to see where are they going with Laurel. I said it before and i'll say it again, i think the only way to save her character is to make her a villain. I just can't imagine her being BC.
Oh, and dude you need to watch Spartacus :)
More+
Flag
Yes, if they'd wanted Moira to be pure evil she would have found a permanent way to silence Felicity.
Flag
Nyssa and Sara kissing.... priceless! Good to see Arrow is above fearing to piss off certain demographics.
Flag
Oh yeah, I am sure CW's target audience is raging over two hot girls making out :D
Flag
I thought so too until I read otherwise comments on a different site which was full of bullshit homophobia.. Disgusting!
Flag
Oh lord, just saw a press release for an upcoming episode. I am so over the idea of dumb decisions leading to damsel in distress situations. Ughhh.
Flag
Agreed. But they set up some serious insecurities for Felicity in this episode, and I think it will continue to play out in 2x14. I'm more bothered by the fact that Sara takes Oliver to a Lance family dinner??? I saw a still where he's sitting across from them at the dinner table. WTH? I can't believe they're going to parade their - whatever - in front of Laurel. Now, I'll admit I don't like Laurel and I find her scenes this season kind of unbearable. But if I were her I'd probably want to upend that table Housewives of New Jersey style and throw things because that is inconsiderate and insensitive. So if she loses her sh** and flips out on them, I'm actually going to probably be like "You go girl!" It might be the only time I defend Laurel.
Flag
Seems more like the writers are trying to have this piece be the whole forgiveness thing. What happened when the prodigal son returned? Dad forgave and threw a party, and the older sibling refused to come. Forgiveness has been a huge part of the dialogue between Oliver and Sara (sparing The Mayor, their talks in Verdant, Oliver's foyer, and the Arrowcave), Sara and Quentin, and Oliver (as himself and the Arrow) and Quentin this season.

Besides, they can't appear too familiar with the fact that each other is alive at the dinner, unless Oliver plans to whip out the bow and hood during Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
Flag
Oliver's presence at the family dinner, for any reason, seems highly inappropriate given his tawdry past with the Lance sisters. Obviously Oliver and Sara won't tell everyone about their 'romance' over the coming episodes. Or at least, I hope not. I understand the forgiveness parallel, and maybe I can get Oliver throwing a party to celebrate Sara not dying on his yacht. But Sara inviting him to a family dinner and Oliver agreeing to it? It makes both of them look like jackasses. It's insensitive to Laurel, Quentin and Dinah and sets their emotional development back too.
Flag
Does it look like Oliver is there as Sarah's boyfriend or just as a family friend?
Flag
It's hard to say. The episode description says Oliver throws a party for Sara (which Laurel refuses to go to) and Sara brings him to a Lance family dinner. I figured they'd hide their relationship but maybe not? But Sara inviting him even as a friend (and Oliver agreeing to it) seems both inconsiderate and insensitive considering what happened in the past. Dinah and Quentin deserve to try to mend their family without Oliver's intrusive presence for one thing. And even if Laurel doesn't know they just slept together again, how hard would it be to sit at a table with both of them while she's still angry? I don't care much for Laurel, but this just seems wrong. And now this damn show has me feeling kind of outraged on behalf of a character I don't even like. *sigh*
Flag
Which episode?
Flag
2x14…… it's actually not bad, but at first glance it was just like wth
Flag
I'm a little late to the party because after reading Noel's assessment of all the reasons why we should be more empathetic to Laurel (Really Noel, it did take up 3/4 of your review) I decided to sit through a whole other viewing to try to "see" Laurel through a different light. Got to say it didn't work for me. I still found her whiney, self centered, and acting like a toddler in a tantrum.

I have a sister and we had some rocky roads growing up, but I can say I don't care what the reasons are, if I thought she had died and then had the opportunity to see her come back, I would hug the hell out of her first, thank the maker she is back safe second, and then maybe throw a wine bottle at her for making me worry, and or stealing my boyfriend. I wish that Laurel would have at least shown some (even a margin) of happiness to see her dead sister return from the grave. At this point I am praying that they are on an arc to turn Laurel evil and end up with Slade. That's a character I might see her being believable at.
More+
Flag
I've considered evil Laurel too, and the only reason I'd be okay with it is if we get to keep Sara.

That being said, I have younger siblings too, and I completely agree that it doesn't matter what they did - if I thought they'd been dead for 6 years and they suddenly came back, nothing could stop me from hugging them. Laurel seemed to be going that way, at least from her happiness at seeing Sara in her poison-induced state, but then she did such an about-face that it was weird.
Flag
I don't think it's that she was gone. I think it was WHY she was gone. Sara had ample opportunity to contact them and it was clear didn't until it was convenient for her to do so.

I'm with you; I've been a Laurel hater, too. But this, I can actually understand. She had to be conflicted already - part of her grieving for Sara and the other part furious because Sara's betrayal. I mean, seriously, just the night before she was telling Sara she hoped to marry Oliver. Sara knew how Laurel felt and slept with him, anyway. What kind of sister does that?

So in a sense, Laurel has a point. Sara's stupid actions *did* destroy a lot of people. From Laurel's POV, her parents didn't love her enough to stay together after Sara was gone. Knowing he still had Laurel wasn't enough to keep her dad from becoming an alcoholic. Everything she could give Oliver wasn't enough to keep him from straying. But let Sara come back, and presto! Everything's supposed to be just fine. Except it isn't.

If Sara had been in a coma or something for five years, that would be one thing. But she wasn't. She may not mean to be a bitch, but if so, she's a prime example of intentions not matching outcomes.
More +
Flag
So, folks have been hating on Laurel almost from the start because he character doesn't show any emotion or behave like a normal person. Now, we legitimately have her in a very real story arc and the same people are complaining because she's behaving like a normal person? Sheesh...girl can't catch a break.

Banging her boyfriend, being the root cause of both her parent's divorce and her dad's drinking (and all the subsequent fallout) as well as the personal hurt and betrayl from both 5 years ago and today? If that's the only information I had, substance abuse or not, I'd probably be pretty upset too.

"I feel like I need to revisit large swatches of Season 1, probably post-Walter's kidnapping, to re-examine Moira's behavior. She was looking pure soap-opera-villain smug as she preyed on Felicity's emotions to keep Felicity silent"

Agreed! Her "keep the OB silent" comment could have been interpreted as villainy or just simple practicality. Her victim card playing during trial was a good strategy and all, but Moira's always been bad. Whether intentional on the part of the writers or not, that she can flip a switch and go from loving mother to ruthless baddie as soon as the opportunity presents takes her from villain to sociopath. But that seems to conflict with genuine emotion when Oli disowned her.

I don't know quite how I feel about this yet...but I think I like it {cue Katy Perry}

Katrina Law, good to see you again. You're awesome!

I've seen some people complain about Oli and Sara at the end, but this, above all else, made the most sense of anything this episode. These two have a LONG history together. The boat, the island, the freighter, the island, both being trained by killers, both surviving, both escaping and reclaiming their lives and their families but still carrying a TON of baggage...ya, after the high stakes of what happened with Nyssa, mom's kidnap, snake venom and self sacrifice and the blow up with Laurel...after taking a deep exhale, enjoying some comfort and the first true peace she's enjoyed since, well...probably before going off to college, with the one person who actually gets her (and visa versa) makes total sense.

Felecity, once again, you show just how awesome you are! You're the best!
More+
Flag
Laurel has placed the blame for all the bad things in her family and her own life on Sarah which isn't fair. The reality is that she chose a sleazy man-whore boyfriend and chose to delude herself about it -- even though it should have been clear that he wasn't marriage material (which doesn't make Sarah sleeping with him right, but it does point out the lie in her perspective that Sarah by doing so destroyed happily ever after). Her Dad's substance abuse problem probably destroyed their marriage (not to mention the parent's differences in class/lifestyle). Yes, Sarah's death brought on her Dad's spiral but that seed was already there. No, Laurel is deluded -- the alcohol and drugs are talking all the time now.
Flag
Absolutely. And there's no denying that the alcohol and drugs, like many addicts, are preventing Laurel from reaching any level of accountability. But that doesn't mean that, given the greater picture, I can't empathize or that Sara doesn't need to own her part in this as well.

But like Laurel, I can understand why Sara did what she did. She thought she had "dibs" on Oli before he and Laurel started dating. And while flawed, her rationalizing staying away once the escaped The League of Assassins wasn't unreasonable.

There is however a big piece of the puzzle still covered which is what happened between her getting off the island and being immersed into The League. Nyssa found her "close to death", but between then, falling in love and being trained to be a killer, a phone call home to say, "Mom. Dad. It's Sara. I'm alive. Can you please come get me?" also doesn't seem unreasonable.

I don't hate Laurel enough to condemn her or love Sara enough to give her carte blanche. Neither is 100% right or 100% wrong. They're both severely flawed and damaged characters coming to grips with feelings they've pushed down for a LONG time. It should be ugly. Which tells me both characters are doing their jobs.
More +
Flag
I think, it's ridiculous for Laurel to blame her little sister for everything that went bad in her life even in a drug induced state an by that time she wasn't intoxicated just acting like a dumb *ss.
I'd blame the parents for getting a divorce. In a marriage it's not just about the good times and most people show their true colors when under pressure. And Laurel's are uglier than ever. I do hope she'll be sent on a long stint to a rehab facility on the other side of the country, preferably for the next three or four seasons of Arrow.
We have enough interesting characters on the show, so that Laurel has become redundant to a point that I flinch away from my screen everytime I have to look at Laurel's teary eyes in a close-up. *yuck*
I'm even glad that Oliver hooked up with Sara, because that means, that he won't be doing that with Laurel. I'd prefer Oliver with Felicity, but this won't be happening any time soon.
As Laurel was screaming "GET OUT!" at her sister, I was screaming the same at her in my head. :D I so do wish, she would disappear from the series.
More +
Flag
Sooo...how do you REALLY feel? ;)

If we subscribe to the notion that art imitates life, then the Lances divorcing is completely understandable. Take a look at check out the divorce rates of couples who have lost children or who have special needs. The grief/work involved will often push couples apart. I'd venture a guess that a child's death and alcoholism aren't strangers either. It's not about blame, it's life.

As for the rest of Laurel's resentment...she was banging her boyfriend and as a direct result, boarded a boarded a boat which was a major factor in the aforementioned divorce. In addition, there's her being without her mother and watching her have a near nervous breakdown because she's been dedicating the past few years of her life trying to find Sara while holding out hope that she's alive, only to see her get emotionally crushed...again.

You clearly hate Laurel and regardless of circumstance will hold her responsible for everything. A hatred so deeply rooted that you're having a physical reaction to a television character. I don't think it would matter if Sara did something undeniably reprehensible, you'd use that as validation for your feelings about her.

Personally, I don't hate her but I don't particularly like her either, which is enough to see that Sara's done a lot of wrong and does bear some responsability for what's happened to her family from the minute she stepped on that boat.
More +
Flag
Holy smokes I loved this episode from start to finish it made my heart sing with joy while ripping it out and tearing it to pieces. Laurel needs a kick up the ass her character at the moment has no fire, no drive nothing she has lost all compelling qualities she had in season 1 while Sara is shining bright I squealed like a little girl when they got together at the end, I hope it's not a one time thing. I was quite emotional during this episode the warehouse scene when quintin had to get Diana out and she was screaming for Sara it actually hurt and when Ollie gave up on him mum............... It whole episode was dynamic loved it.
Flag
I find both Lance sisters boring characters played by weak actresses.
I don't care about Sara and even less about her hook up with Oliver.
And I don't care for Laurel either. She is acting like a self-centered spoiled brat. She has issues and was put in a shitty situation but the show didn't make me care enough for her for me to be able to sympathize with her.
Moira is a bit of a wild card, self-saving, so it will be interesting to see her face off with Slade.
Needs more Diggle.
Flag
Well, this episode was interesting! And Nyssa was AMAZING! I loved that showdown between her and Oliver at the end. They were quite well matched. I really hope we see her again. I also enjoyed the chase scene. As a fan of the comics, I liked seeing Canary and Arrow work together. That being said, Sara and Oliver aren't making good choices with regard to romance. It's understandable though - they're both damaged and hurting and lack impulse control. A friend pointed out they're essentially the same. I still like Sara, so I can get on board for now. It's a crappy thing to do to Laurel though. I honestly don't care about Laurel, but... she'd be well within her rights to blow up if she finds out about them (and I'm assuming she will - this is totally headed for major theatrics between Oliver and the Lance sisters.)

Oh Laurel - I admit the bathrobe scene kind of made me laugh, but that's probably not the reaction they were going for. And yes, she's justified in her feelings, but is she not at all happy her sister is alive? She doesn't even know what happened to her. I mean, she forgave Oliver pretty damn fast in the pilot. That part just seemed weird to me. One thing I know for sure - I cannot ever imagine her as Black Canary now. Just no. But a villain? Maybe. They've ruined the character for me as a heroic type. Actually, they've just ruined the character for me period, but kudos for sticking to whatever the heck this master plan is, I guess. I felt like the flashbacks were unnecessary. They added nothing to the story for me except to confirm that Laurel was living in a fantasy world when it came to her relationship with Oliver. But I already knew that since he went to such great lengths to blow up the relationship. I can't believe anyone connected to the show called Laurel/Oliver an "epic" love - more like train wreck. First love? Okay fine, but we've all had a first love. It's exciting, but it doesn't mean it's meant to last.

I didn't totally get why Felicity thought Oliver would blame her for the news of his mother's shady actions. But I guess Moira preyed on her fear of abandonment. I did love the glimpse into her family history. I also think her absentee father is going to turn out to be a villain of some sort. Or could he be connected to ARGUS or HIVE? I feel like they're building to something there and I absolutely can't wait to find out more. Also, I wasn't sure why the news made Oliver turn against Moira so completely. How is it worse than her participation in the Undertaking? Unless he just feels like there's never an end to the secrets she's keeping. Regardless, I still love Moira. She's an interesting character IMO.

The Arrowcave is about to get crowded, huh? And what happened to Roy? The way this show bounces between characters and stories gives me whiplash sometimes. I wonder how the Team Arrow dynamics will shift next episode? And as the only non-fighter in a room full of fighters, how will Felicity deal with the shift? As far as I can tell, she has no close family or friends. Diggle and Oliver and the foundry are home for her in a way, so I think it might be a difficult adjustment. Do we really have to wait three weeks? *sigh*
More+
Flag
@noelrk Took your recommendation and read the MS Marvel comic. It was a fun read and I am curious what will happen so I'll be coming back to her.
Flag
Were I to restructure this show at this point, I would...
- change the action scenes to use more slow-mo and more hunting and distance and planning;
- add more actual crimefighting;
- remove Moira and Thea altogether;
- probably restructure Laurel and Sara into a single character;
- restructure Diggle into more of his own man with his own goals;
- maybe put Roy in as a more fun "young ward sidekick" than whatever the hell this mess is;
- make Slade know his role and have a boss or clients to actually answer to;
- play up Green Arrow's value to the populace of Star City, showing it from a few man-on-the-street perspectives;
- make him a bigger risk for the robber barons that take from the poor, have them try to control the media message and fail with the populace on his side;
- have Queen Industries show signs of getting wrested from Ollie's hand while he's busy;
- and just find some limits for characters and then play with them rather than just throw out whatever the week's script demands.
More+
Flag
Laurel comes off as a petulant bitch though, and why? Because they've spent the entire series making her unlikable and unpleasant and shallow and annoying, so here she comes off as a child lashing out angrily at the baby sister she was always jealous of. She absolutely should be angry and hurt and lashing out, yet there's no way for the audience to get there with her I think.

Honestly though, the first, last, and only thing on my mind throughout her scenes both present and past was "HOLY SHIT IS KATIE CASSIDY DYING OF CANCER?!?" - seriously, there was no getting around how thin and gaunt and gray she looked, even her hairline seems to have gotten less healthy, and it's distracting to the point of worry.

As for the actual episode, um... Sara's lesbian relationship with Nyssa was a thing that felt forced, and Nyssa dropping down on her Cirque de Soliel ribbons everywhere was asking too much of action scenes, and they cut a few key moments like Felicity actually revealing the truth to Ollie too close to the bone.

You are entirely right that there wasn't enough connective tissue for Ollie to get that worked up at Moira over lying lies and the fibber who fibs.

I went back and forth on Katrina Law here, it was difficult because they really gave her clunky motivation and she had to bounce off a few walls.

I'm getting a little tired of the Arrowcycle, it's getting overused and it's noisy and it's too convenient.

Archer was the best it's been this season, naturally we've got weeks off now because of the winter olympics nobody gives a squirt about anyway - oh boy, rich white kid sports! - and only watch because NOTHING ELSE IS ON AGAINST THEM.
More+
Flag
The Arrowcycle? Come on, that's nitpicking! It's very practical, fast... most people are fine with it.

Regarding Laurel, the producers have a plan, I think they should've started it earlier, but we'll see if by the end of the season they start the transition to Black Canary, here's what they've said:

TVLINE | That’s good to hear, because one of my questions was how you planned to make Laurel relevant to this next wave of storytelling, beyond possibly dating Sebastian.

You know, it’s been somewhat hard, I think, for Katie and us to hear some of the criticisms of her character because we don’t do anything without thinking about it. And one of the great things about having as much success as we had in Season 1 was the freedom to allow things to unfold the way that they should. We’ve always had a fantastic plan for Laurel’s character, and I know that there’s impatience out there in the world to see her “strap on the fish nets” [as Black Canary] but everything we’re doing is all about leading up to that in a the way that we feel keeps it the most realistic and grounded. To take somebody who is a public interest lawyer and turned her into a super hero… you have to go through the paces. So this season we’ve really been putting her through her paces. We always think of these things as chapters, and these next four episodes are really about Laurel. She’s taking center stage as she begins to suspect that Sebastian is not exactly who he seems.

http://tvline.com/2014/01/14/arrow-season-2-spoilers-oliver-versus-slade-laurel-felicity-diggle/
More +
Flag
The Arrowcycle is not very in-character, it requires a lot of skill to drive with precision at those speeds which Ollie is already using for other tasks like shooting arrows, it's the opposite of stealthy, and it magically is nearby when he needs it. The logic of it is that Ollie went back to the Arrowcave and picked it up, or Diggle dropped it off, which both read pretty thin.

The producers' plan to make Laurel relevant is a problem they took upon themselves, there's no way they would intentionally write a character into such an unpleasant place with the audience from day one only to redeem her. They are the reason she's awful, they give her flat lines and flat directing and bad makeup and terrible motivations, they can't expect us to believe they know what they are doing with her and have been doing it all along. "We are following an arc" is bullcrap when they changed her at step 1 to not follow that arc to begin with, and then made her incredibly unpleasant at every step following.
Flag
Staff
But, JT....CURLING. I LOVE CURLING.

(And, yeah, Archer has been great so far this season. Already well ahead of last season.)
Flag
I'll get my broom and we can sweep our cares away.
Flag
Staff
So long as we have the awesome curling pants.
Flag
Well, can't unsee that. I had no idea.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I liked this episode, even when I don't understand why they needed to use "Nyssa" instead of Thalia. I think the reactions were good and all but I am terrified they are going to killl Dinah soon. Quentin is happy for first time in years. And I love River Song.
I think Oliver is acting like a brat with his mom but I hope the show makes him change his mind. I still think Thea has the right to know her heritage.
Flag
There are less expectations from fans with Nyssa, and more freedoms to tell new stories. Also, Thalia is so very connected to Batman that it'd be awkward, not that that's ever stopped this show before.
Flag
You are probably right, thank you!
Flag
What about appointing Diggle as Moira's body guard. Coz she need a one. And all are solved then.
Flag

I guess Oliver really hasn't changed much, at least in one regard--he still goes after any "tail" that's flashed before him. This week, it was a canary he went after. The count is what, three so far. Poor Felicity. I guess she's this show's Miss Moneypenny.
Flag
Actually it is SIX. For a season and a half of a show that is a lot of "tail." We have seen Oliver with Laurel, Sara, Helena, Makenna, Shado (in flashbacks), and Isabel. Yeah. He really does get around.
Flag
Gets better and better
Flag
1. Katrina Law is breathe of fresh air!!! Beautiful and fierce. I just wish her character had more substance than just a scorned lover.
2. Sara is an awful actress, it was truly a chore to get through her scenes IMO
3. I literally have no idea where this show wants to go from here. There are so many characters and storylines!
4. They literally need to find something for diggle to do!!
5. I actually enjoyed laurel this week. I thought her response to sara being alive was very appropriate.
6. Again Katrina law is amazing!!
Flag
Gotta give you points for calling out Sara, the acting here was subpar again, very shallow. She's done better but it's always felt against the envelope with her.

Dig definitely needs to matter again.
Flag
on board with every point, especially 1 and 6 ;)
Flag
Laurel, please eat something.
Flag
Maybe Katie Cassidy is a committed method actress? Laurel is an addict, that keeps the pounds off, so maybe Katie had decided to shed a few pounds to achieve a believable performance,
Flag
I just have a really hard time believing the CW would approve such a drastic change in appearance for the actress who is supposed to be the female lead. She looks unwell, and it's been the source of all kinds of negativity. And again - this is the CW, which regularly invests in pretty over talent, so... whatever's going on with her, I seriously doubt it's related to method acting. She's a B-C level actress at best. No ine who watches the CW cares about that. She's no Oscar hopeful. It's more likely related to her fashion blog - she models for her fashion line now and she seems pretty invested in it. If she actually is unwell, I hope she gets better soon.
Flag
I was also looking at her like... When did she get that skinny...
Flag
Also, what right does Oliver Queen have to 'slu)-shame' Moira Queen. He already knew she had an affair with Malcolm Merlyn. Did he want her to have aborted Thea? If anything, he should acknowledge that she had a good reason to lie. Oliver had sex with the sister of his girlfriend. Oliver fell for the daughter of a mobster who herself was also somewhat evil. Oliver still loves that sister even after knowing she's an assassin. Oliver's a killer who lies to his family in order to protect them.

The writers seem to simply decide to have Felicity be stupid and then have Oliver support Felicity above his own mother. It's more or less Oliver putting Felicity over his own family.
Flag
More Felicity nonsense. She just confronts Moira Queen that Malcolm Meryln is Thea's father. Moira is someone who she knows is running for mayor, who successfully paid the doctor off, and had been working with Malcolm. She's a dangerous person to mess with. Felicity at the least should have told Oliver Queen first simply to have some sort of 'protection' and so that they could both confront Moira.

Also, so what if Thea is Malcolm's daughter? Felicity only seems to confront Moira in order to 'slu)-shame' Moira and to feel somehow superior to Moira. It's not as if Felicity was actually trying to help the Queen family or had about any concern for Thea. It's not as if she wanted Thea to inherit the Meryln estate.

Whatever happened to Summer Glau? Isn't she actually running Queen Consolidated. Oliver seems to hardly ever do any actual work for the company. He's either in the Arrow Cave, off being Green Arrow, and now he's dealing in politics. Moira Queen is now going to run for mayor. Thea Queen is actually running Vervant and we see this. Is Queen Consolidated somehow on autopilot?
More+
Flag
Felicity and nonsense in the same sentence? Not for me...
But I do get your point...as in pointless on Felicity's part...perhaps her distrust of Moira alone warranted the confrontation?
Flag
Nyssa is one sexy badass heir!!! and that archery battle was epic!!
Flag
Moira is a survivor. I guess Oliver had to inherit it from somewhere.
Flag
Also the lying. I mean, he basically lies to his family on a fairly regular basis. He's got to pick up those habits from somewhere...
Flag
We know that eventually Slade will make Oliver choose between Laurel and someone and until now I thought that someone was gonna be Felicity but now I think it's gonna be Sarah again. Will Oliver save both of them? One of the main characters is gonna die in the season finale but I really hope it's not Sarah or Felicity......
Flag
you have just sadly helped support my theory that someone will die, but not who you think, my theory is that thea will die leaving Roy and Oliver to grieve but neither of them are simple grievers, they are fighters and this will be the moment that Roy will take on the name "speedy" to honor his lost love (but I don't want her to die but I am afraid thats where the show is headed)
Flag
Malcolm will kill Slade before he lays a hand on Thea :p
Flag
yeah I never worry about Oliver "hooking up" with any woman because I feel that it always ends badly...that being said, I don't like sara with Oliver (actually i probably won't like anyone with Oliver because I expect it to end badly) but i am going to feel so bad when Felicity finds out! Is there any super hero/vigilante that actually has a successful relationship?
Flag
well according to DC Green arrows most prominent relationship and wife is black canary so... I think she might be a keeper. also clark kent is usually with lois lane The flash barry allen marries Iris another reporter, The King of Atlantis Aquaman always has his queen Mera by his side, and a little iffy on this one but Bruce and Selinas game of Cat and Bat goes on even if its not the most commited relationship in the universe
Flag
Except that Superman is with Wonder Woman; Barry Allen is dating Patty Spivot and Black Canary is married to Kurt Lance.

So much for what usually happens
Flag
Wait what? I can't keep up with all of these Superheroes hooking up with someone new. I know that Arrow marries the Black Canary, I just wish the writers didn't make Felicity more likable and have better chemistry than Sara/Black Canary. Like why would you cause the audience to like Felicity more and then make the person Arrow is supposed to be with less likable? I almost with Felicity didn't exist in that case...if that made any sense :) Ok enough complaining.
Flag
here is an idea of justice for slade
how about make ollie to choose between sara and laurel
then, ollie choose sara and laurel join shado
Flag
Katrina Law crushed it as the "Heir to the Demon"...though I'm surprised the League of Assassins would be sloppy enough to let one of their top people be flagged on a TSA database.

Now, how many other former Spartacus cast members will follow the trail Manu Bennett blazed onto the set of "Arrow"? Here's my top 5 wishlist:

5. Simon Merrells (Crassus)
4. Antonio Te Maioha (Barca)
3. Peter Mensah (Doctore)
2. Viva Bianca (Illythia)

and no. 1?
Nick Tarabay, AKA

Flag
things are evolving in arrow, the story's enveiling and revealing itself. I hope to see more history between sarah and oliver, they look to have a future in the series. We could see barry, I would like it a lot :D let's see how the next episode will be shall we my friends? :)
Flag
I posted on the main page some comments from the executive producers about this episode where they also give some hints to things that will happen in the future.
Flag
One part just got to me, I was laughing so hard when Sara saw her mother in the van and then just stood there screaming on the road! On a whole I kinda loved the episode like I do every week
Flag
I was thinking, 'Holy shit! The Canary Cry!'
Flag
more like "Holy Shit! Desperate and unnecessary impression of the Canary Cry!" (IMO)
Flag
After last week, no Roy? That's what I meant with my comment last week.
Not happy with that but I did enjoy the episode. It was very superhero-ish, right? Until the end though...Ollie kissing Sara...ugh, I did not want that to happen at all. She should've died, seriously.
On the other hand, how awesome was the scene between Ollie and Felicity huh? I love Felicity, what a great character and Emily Rickards is just perfect (can't believe she's only 22)...
And the break sucks! Frickin olympics!
Flag
Both Lance sisters are perfect for Black Canary, simply due to the fact that they are both excellent screamers.
Flag
Laura needs to be explored more and not in boring ways. I get that she has anger and feelings but i have seen the drug/alcohol thing so much so that it is overdone and since i have personally known an alcoholic and the effects on their family, tv never quite gets it right and truth be told, things like AA are not always the answer. She needs to deal with these issues and i cannot say how they will do it, but they need to figure it out soon, real soon or get rid of her character. She is the only part of the show i drift away from, because she is boring and undeveloped. Give us something to either root for her or make us truly hate her for her actions, one way or another it will make her more interesting. -- Otherwise, good episode, should be interesting to see where things go.
Flag
I find the Laurel Lance character irritating but I was happy that even though they didn't get it absolutely right that the writers chose not to have all of her problems including the deep substance abuse problem she has now magically melt away because her sister is back.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members