An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Arrow S02E02: "Identity"

Being a superhero with a lot of money can be rough, especially when said superhero is looking to use the riches belonging to his non-costumed self to further the goals of improving an entire city. The do-gooder is always forced to decide which persona can help the most, and more often than not, that persona is the one wearing the tights (or the hood, or the cape, or the body armor). This choice often results in the public persona losing some of his standing, and earning a reputation as a selfish, uncaring, elitist jerk.

"Identity" did absolutely nothing new with this well-trodden ground of conflicting, well, identities. Oliver tried to do right by Starling City by throwing a fundraiser for Glades Memorial Hospital (galas and fundraisers happen really quickly in Starling City; party planners, caterers, and event venues must be thriving), only to duck out on the event to stop China White and her new associate Bronze Tiger (Michael Jai White, whose talents were completely and utterly wasted here) from hijacking FEMA trucks headed for the Glades. As a result, Oliver Queen's name got dragged further through the mud by Sebastian Blood (Kevin Alejandro), the very man Oliver was looking to impress and partner with to rebuild the site. Of course, that Oliver's hooded alter ego isn't very popular with the police didn't help.

But It doesn't matter that "Identity" failed to subvert this particular superhero narrative, because its execution of that narrative, and the rest of the episode as a whole, was very good. It's probably the best standalone episode Arrow has offered to date in terms of balancing a case of the week, Oliver's affairs both with and without the hood, Thea and Roy's relationship, and the island flashbacks. It didn't sag, it didn't feel overly stuffed, it didn't fall victim to any of the other complaints I've often leveled at the series with regard to its structural components.

At the heart of all this is Oliver's struggle to become that "something more," to not be the killer he once was. It's not just about how he behaved as the Hood last season, but how we're seeing him behave on the island, where Island Oliver has concerns about always being a murderer on some level. Killing is, after five years of survival and whatever else happened both on and off Lian Yu, the natural choice for Oliver. Tommy's reaction to Oliver's secret identity, ham-fisted and lacking as much nuance as anything else on the show last season, provided the logical reason as to why Oliver would change his behavior now. Think of it like this: The new shift in Oliver's attitude, motivated by Tommy's opinion of him, is along the same lines as Bruce Wayne's no-kill, no-gun policy as Batman, which was motivated by witnessing his parents' murder. What will matter, going forward, is how well Oliver copes with this change, and whether he's able to successfully continue in this vein.

Of course, this attempt to change alters Oliver's vigilante persona in a number of ways. He spared China White and Bronze Tiger, leaving them for the authorities... and so they can easily resurface later, of course. Then there's Roy, who Oliver is both protecting and putting at risk by making him an intelligence-gatherer, which I'm sure Thea will be simply thrilled to find out about at some point. Both decisions represent risks to his safety, the safety of his team, and the safety of the city as a whole. But these are the prices you pay when you don't want to just shoot someone through the neck with an arrow. 

And, of course, there's the matter of Laurel. Oliver obviously can't tell Laurel what's going on, and his efforts to win her over to his costumed side have failed miserably as Laurel, showing some serious forethought, now has Oliver trapped by a SWAT team with seemingly no way out. He'll escape, of course, but what matters is that Oliver's attempt to transform the identity of the Hood from killer to hero isn't going to be an easy one. Getting caught by the woman who once defended him—handy, the way the Lances have more or less changed sides on the issue of the vigilante, and how Laurel's much better at getting her man than her dad ever was—just illustrates that it's going to be very difficult to convince other people that the Hood has changed, let alone actually doing the changing.

This notion of identities even extends to Diggle and Felicity—which was quite obvious, since Oliver spelled it right out for us:

Oliver: I need a Girl Wednesday.

Felicity: It’s ‘Friday’ and the answer is "No."

Oliver: These computers have been upgraded. Far more processing power than your typical secretary.

Felicity: Did you know I went to MIT? Do you know what I majored in? Hint: Not the secretarial arts.

Oliver: Felicity! We all need to have secret identities now. If I’m going to be ‘Oliver Queen, CEO,’ then I can’t very well travel down 18 floors every time you and I need to discuss how we spend our nights!

Felicity: And I love spending the night with you... 3... 2... 1... I worked very hard to get where I am and it wasn’t so I could fetch you coffee!

Diggle: Well, it could be worse. My secret identity is his black driver.

It was a hilarious exchange, to be sure—Amell is a great straight man, Rickards is fantastic when she's acting flustered, and Ramsey could give a course in deadpanning—but along with the Carly discussion, it also illustrated the challenges that Felicity and Diggle face as their personal and professional lives collide with supporting Oliver's mission. They have to play stereotypical roles as the perky blonde secretary and the black driver, roles that are considerably not what they hand in mind for themselves given their obvious talents, and I appreciate that Arrow acknowledged that with Felicity's frustration and Diggle's comment. Whereas Oliver gets to be a CEO, albeit one with an increasingly lousy reputation, he's still a CEO, with all the power and wealth that such a position brings with it; they're societal cliches, with all the inequities that Diggle's button on that scene conveyed.

Diggle's off-screen break-up with Carly is likewise important, because it illustrated the strain of dual lives. Diggle's been Oliver's conscience for a while now, and the reminders that identity struggles aren't exclusive to Oliver are very necessary. It'd be nice if that lesson could penetrate Oliver's skull and stick for once, but I'm hopeful that his apology to and sympathy for Diggle at the end of the episode represent him turning a corner.

Given that Bronze Tiger, a character from the comics, was dealt with rather quickly, I'm going to focus on the other character from the comics who was introduced in this episode, Sebastian Blood. In the comics, Blood is normally a cult leader of some sort, complete with superhuman powers of persuasion (read: hypnosis) and some degree of occult ability. He was a recurring villain in the animated Teen Titans series, where he ran a school for young villains to form an army he'd use to take over the world, similar to the way the comic book version of Blood wanted to mobilize his followers in a quest for world domination.

It wouldn't be hard to strip away Blood's superhuman powers and still have a compelling character, and that's what Arrow achieved with its iteration of Blood. The alderman is a charismatic and gifted orator, whether he's surrounded by his supporters or by the elites he so clearly loathes. He's in his element no matter what, and small touches—like his refusal to shake Oliver's hand in the office or allowing his voice to carry without a microphone at the gala—indicate the degree of confidence the character has.

I'm not familiar with Kevin Alejandro's past work on True Blood or Southland, but he was very good here, probably the most comfortable arrival I've seen from any Arrow guest-star since Manu Bennett first showed up as Slade. Alejandro displayed an immediate ownership of the role that helped to lock in a sense of the character, which is very necessary with a character like Blood. I'm not sure what the show's plans are for Blood going forward, but I am very excited to see them unfurl, and what Alejandro does with them.

You all know how much I love it when the island story parallels the present-day story, so I'm sure you were able to predict that I was happy not only with how the flashback immediately addressed Oliver's head-bashing incident, but also with its attention to the notion of change and dual selves. It certainly wasn't anything really mind-blowingly deep, but I appreciated the symmetry. And much like the flashbacks from the early portions of Season 1, the pace of this week's was a bit more measured, which I also rather like.

Finally, I like the way the island flashbacks are slowly building up their group dynamics as we see Slade grappling with being a third wheel to his two younger companions. Sure, his advice to Oliver about Shado being a distraction was accurate, but was it motivated purely by a desire to see Oliver survive, or by something else with a bit more longing attached? Last week he pointed out that Oliver's not the only one who cares about Shado, so there could be something more than just wanting this little group to get off the island together. In any case, if we keep getting more of Manu Bennett's shockingly adorable "awkward face," I'll be game for that.

FROM THE QUIVER

– Trick arrows are officially here! With remote taser arrows and bolas arrows, we're like, what—five arrows away from the punching glove arrow?

– "I had a secret entrance installed when I ran the club. Kidding."

– China White's little spiel introducing Bronze Tiger was pretty much the worst superhero comic book dialog Arrow has ever done. Also: The show's fight choreography is still pretty painful. That skirmish with Bronze Tiger was chopped up to the point of... pointlessness. Arrow could borrow a page from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s playbook on that front.

– It's likely been mentioned here before, but I just love the dresses the wardrobe department selects for Felicity.

– Good grief. Can all the characters go on not mentioning whether Malcolm's dead? Sheesh.

– "You know, I've been meaning to tell you that it really weirds me out to no end the way you refer to yourself in the third person like that."

– "We're getting dangerously close to hug territory, so I'm going to fall back."

What did you think of "Identity"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

153 Comments
Comments (153)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Quote:
"That skirmish with Bronze Tiger was chopped up to the point of... pointlessness. Arrow could borrow a page from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s playbook on that front."

This is a funny comment, because I just saw a review of the latest Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode that said this:

Quote:
"Fight scenes, guys. Work on them. Go watch some episodes of Arrow if you need some inspiration. They could be (and should be) so, so, so much better."

I do agree with the fact that Arrow's fights tend to be a lot better. There were some pretty serious kick-butt fights in the first season. The past two episodes have been a bit light on that, but hopefully the fights will pick up again.
Flag
PS -- How hot did Felicity look in this episode?! WOW!
Flag
How dumb the Starling City people (and cops, btw) are???
Oliver comes back from the island and the hood appears, he goes away and the hood is supposedly dead (which could work, given the heartquake and everything), then Oliver comes back from his "Europe trip" and the hood is (un)surprisingly back. Plus, whenever the hood is around Oliver goes awol And NOBODY figures this out.
Even considering the trick Oliver put in motion when he got arrested to clear suspicions... COME ON!!!
(Plus, I can't stand Laurel anymore. And I don't get why Oliver/Arrow/Vigilante/Hood/Whatever couldn't just tell her that he went there but Tommy was already dead, or that he was engaged in saving other people, or some other excuse.)
Flag
Always thought Laurel was a whiny little *insert bad word here* who always looks for people to blame because it's the only way she knows how to deal with grief. So my opinion stays pretty much the same only I hate her even more. I would be happy if her character died <.<
Flag
Laurel has never been my favourite character, but her vendetta against the "the hood" makes no sense! I know it's only TV, but could we please have a bit of realism... *hahahaha*

Oh, and this deserted island sure has a lot of people "visiting" it...
Flag
Those FEMA drivers must get paid a lot for hazard pay in Starling City! And really, the police just go out when there is a hood sighting, but do nothing when FEMA employees are getting killed, must have been at least 8 drivers killed. Man that's like a murder spree! FBI, state police, etc. should have the whole city locked down trying to find the murderers! I am perfectly able to suspend belief for lots of things, that's why I'm watching a superhero show, but lets at least base some of it in a logical setting and write around that so its a bit believable. :)
Flag
haha, not to mention the oh-so-moral Laurel being far more interested in her own little bit of vengence against The Hood, rather than trying to catch who killed half a dozen innocent workers trying to deliver medical supplies to the poor.
Flag
I second you guys! So much of fatality for FEMA truckers and not one measure of action to catch or kill the robbing bikers ? It is probably the only reason they could insert the Arrow--Bronzie fight sequence. May be they left those truckers to die haplessly, because they knew Arrow would then come in and SC police can move in on him.
Also, the police managed to know the Hood is on the move, yet no update about a FEMA truck being robbed?
Anyway, on a serious note, this FEMA robbery case did not quite click. And, I guess, since Quentin Lance was not around, we have his dearly beloved daughter beginning to hate The Vigilante instead (of course, with some back story).
Flag
Arrow has always been a bit cartoonish with its handling of social issues, but the whole Sebastian Blood "Oliver is a gross richy rich" thing was sooo heavy handed it had me cringing. Ugh, enough already. This guy is a terrible politician! A rich dude offers you tons of money (that your constituents actually need!) and you throw it away in a hissy fit because he's late to his own party? You are on a very high horse there, buddy, and it's really irritating.

Am I insane in thinking Slade will become the Deadshot we know and hate? Yes? Yes, I am.

Uh oh- the dialogue is getting cheesy! The whole *fight* *parry* *quip!* thing is the worst, in my humble opinion. Less talking, more stabbing.

Felicity and Diggle remain the best. Yeah girl, Oliver can get his own damn coffee! Meanwhile, Laurel remains the bane of my existence. Boooo Laurel.
Flag
I really, really try to overlook it but i can't. I hate it when this show that's trying to be a post-Dark Knight Smallville, repeats the same mistakes of Smallville and asks for suspension of logic.
FEMA has a night delivery. Robbed and killed. Then another night delivery, no guards too, robbed and killed again. Then a third delivery, night, no guards. Oh, come on...
Flag
It is always refreshing to see new characters in a show!! It is also not very often that a hero gets to lose in all sides and let's face it this was not the best week neither for Oliver or for the Arrow (is this how he is called now?) I liked the conflict he faced and the friendly scenes with Diggle and the funny ones with Felicity. It still is rather enjoyable!
Flag
That photo of Bronze Tiger and Ollie is horrible.

The Laurel storyline is ridiculous. If they don't know what to do with a main character whose comic book history is as rich and important as Laurel's, then they should back burner her until they do.
Flag
I too Think that the Laurel storyline is far fetched. The writers needed a way to put her character at odds with the Hood. I really can't Believe that Ollie thought that one good deed would change her mind about the Hood. Look I didn't kill anyone this time can't you see I've changed. Besides this is supposed to be the catalyst that puts her on the road to becoming Black Canary. The producers of the show have already said that eventually Laurel will become Black Canary. I just wish they would write her character better so that we can really understand why Ollie just can't stay away from her.
Flag
It looks exactly like an alley cat attacking a raccoon (that eyeshadow, Ollie!) caught frozen in some headlights. I love it and it makes me laugh.

Also, so much agreement about Laurel. I don't know anything about her rich backstory in the comics, but she is utterly pointless (and personality-less) on the show.
Flag
Looks like Manu Bennett is finally starting to turn Steven Amell into a decent actor, just like he did with Liam McIntyre in 'Spartacus'. Their scenes together are excellent. 'Crixius' should be an acting coach. I know Emily Bett Rickards is playing a role we've seen about a million times on television but she is just wonderful. She disarms Amell in their scenes together on a regular basis and the results are always enjoyable to watch. The scene with Diggle, Felicity, and Oliver was very good.

Can I just say thank you Greg Berlanti for making Manu Bennett and Ms. Rickards series regulars. Excellent permanent additions.

Hey since Manu is working out so well, how about finding a part for another from 'Spartacus' - find a part for Dustin Clare!
Flag
"Arrow could borrow a page from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s playbook on that front."

If Arrow can learn a thing or two from SHIELD's fight scenes; then SHIELD can pretty much learn everything else from Arrow. Specifically that Felicity is 100x the nerd support character that Fitz/Simmons is/are any day of the week.

I do think Bronze Tiger was a little wasted, but with word of Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller coming in this season we will see more of him as he was a major part of that team.
Flag
Agreed Bronze Tiger was wasted...in fact I had to rewind because I missed the non fight the first time. Other than that, the eppy was good.
Flag
I really think I'm just going to end every episode absolutely delighted with everything Felicity does or says. It may get repetitive but screw it guys she's not going to make him coffee!
Flag
What? Did you miss her setting a cup on his desk at the end of the episode saying "One"...lol..
Flag
Oh know I saw that and thought it was super cute. But she made that coffee as his friend not as his employee.
Flag
I agree, it was cute and earned her points with me (not that she needs to earn points, I happen to really like her 'personality") for the reason she did it, not because he asked or even expected it, but because she thought he needed it (I bet it's in the script)...but laying that aside, whether as a friend or employee; she still made him a cup..
Flag
Well, since I dislike Laurel from the beginning (and I know I'm not the only one), I guess it is fair that she gets placed in a half evil position, more according with her karma. I was a bit worried that she would become that Black Canary character that you guys said is going to be Arrow's girlfriend one day. Cross-fingers for that not happening!
Flag
Laurel's standpoint is the dumbest thing ever. She Blames the Hood for not saving Tommy from a collapsing building or something. If memory serves, Tommy drove across town to get to Laurel during the earthquake and she was STILL in the F*#king building. I would like to see Laurel die, the sooner the better...
Flag
Laurel... man ! she clearly has notched up the annoying factor...if we must have the Lance family on the show ,can we please have her mother?,,heck! at this moment i really like her father.
Her Guilty and self-righteousness just comes out as bishy!! Now i have that off my chest, i think its time we have Black canary on our our screen..(which good God i hope its not the "dead" other Lance daughter.
Flag
..Part of me understand..she is grieving, feels guilty and she is angry..but her misplacement of that anger is seriously messing up with my enjoyment of episodes!.and i loved this episode!
Flag
While I have really enjoyed these two episodes and am really excited about where the show is going, there are a couple of things bothering me.

1) Why does no one get even slightly suspicious that both Queen and the hood disappear right after the earthquake, then both re-appear on the same day one year later? Surely any idiot could work out that there might be a connection there.

2) Laurel. She annoyed me in the first season, but her motivations here make no sense to me at all. She's suddenly turned massively against the hood because he was too late to save Tommy? Even though she realised all the good he was doing in Season 1? It seems like they were just desperate to get to this situation where she's against him (and for whatever the cliffhanger ending leads to).
Flag
The Laurel storyline seems like they suddenly realized she does nothing and are trying to give her something to do on the show. Whenever I see her on the screen now I just want to turn it off.
Flag
'but I just love the dresses the wardrobe department selects for Felicity'

Absolutely corrrect, beauty, brains and humour in one package, who could ask for more. Tim probably would have mentioned the scene in the basement where she was walking away from us (the camera).
Flag
This was such a great ep all around on character development. I feel like the Thea/Roy stuff is finally starting to get into a little bit more of a rhythm; the acknowledgement and fleshing out of Felicity and Diggle is great; and Oliver balancing his two identities in something greater than his feelings for Laurel.

I am absolutely loving Felicity in season 2. More please!
Flag
Such a good episode. Loved eeet. Also the cliff-hanger for next week? Pretty intense.
Flag
I totally agree an excellent ep!
I almost did not watch (am watching late anyway) needed the space to record something else LOL but very glad I did.
"...his black driver" that was excellent!
Felicity was picture perfect, who would have thought at the beginning... and her lines were hilarious too!
Although the character shouldn't complain: she at least has a job!
You learn to swallow your pride: a job is a job...
That guy K Alejandro was amazing, what a lot of charisma!

Yeah, pity about Bronze Tiger... hopefully he'll be back!
Flag
Is it just me or is there a little bit of chemistry between Felicity and Oliver, who else thinks they should at least try dating, clearly Felicity likes Oliver a lot that much is obvious.
Flag
All aboard the Olicity train! Toot toot!
Flag
Yeah, there is definitely some tingling going on. I really like Felicity so I would love to see them as a couple. So much sass
Flag
Her sass isn't that big. *Badum-ching*
Flag
I enjoyed the episode and it did lay the foundations for intrigue later on. I liked the bits on the island and Smoak and Digs are as great as ever and even though the story is nothing new it was still told well.

That being said I have/had two annoyances.

1) Im sorry you get to speak to all these elite people that Queen was so nice to assemble for you and who would not have given you the time of day. The scene made sense and it would be something Blood would do... but it was still awkward.
2) I really, really, really hope they do not have Laurel find out that Oliver is the archer and go all "what have I done...". The justification for why she is suddenly on this crusade also felt kind of weak. It makes sense, but just weak. "Im sorry you were too busy fighting the man who built the machines that destroyed the Glades and probably had a detonator... " AND YOU SHOULD KNOW HE SENT YOUR FATHER TO STOP THE MACHINES!!!

Minor thing that I find more funny than anything else is Oliver comes back the first time MAGICALLY man who shoots arrows appear. Oliver disappears and the man who shoots arrows disappear. Oliver suddenly returns and man is magically back again...
More+
Flag
i hate the whole Lance family i mean the whole family just want revenge first laurel's father just wanted oliver to pay for what he did to his family too much emotions that gets between their jobs who let detective involve with a case where there are personal motives and now laurel i just hate her so much never thought would ever hate katie cassidy but she surely can't act or something is wrong with her script .....as a whole episode was great love felicity and diggle
Flag
i loved how they showed us why arrow turned out to be such a super archer by showing the tough conditions on the island.Can't believe sara is gonna be black canary...my best guess is black canary will save arrow from those cops in the next episode.
Flag
how do we know this...? I was hoping that Laurel wouldn't become Black Canary, because I can't stand Laurel - but it is already known that it would be Sarah?
Flag
he he imdb shows that black canary is sara lance.
Flag
Just 'cause imdb says so doesn't mean it's true. But in this case it might be right.
Flag
it wouldn't be the first time that the credits are given wrong "on purpose" in order to keep the mystery, but I also see some signs that this might happen. Well, we will see.
Flag
nobody really dies in this show, then, right? soon we will have Oliver's father back too, I bet
Flag
I don't know much about the comic book version of Green Arrow, which is probably why I'm enjoying this show on it's own merit unlike Smallville where it was a love hate relationship which resulted in occasionally throwing the remote at the TV. I enjoyed the episode a lot and I get Laurel's anger toward the Hood. She's basicaly taking her grief and guilt out on him, because she has nowhere else to put it. Always love the Diggle and Felicity scenes which were done well including the flash back ones.

I have a theory that I'm going to throw out there. I think the Black Canary is really Laurel's sister since there was that whole episode last season where they thought she might be alive. Something well happen much later in the series that will force Laurel to take the place of her sister as Black Canary and perhaps motivate her to find her identity. Anyway it's just a theory.
Flag
I won't spoil it but if we were playing hot and cold you'd be pretty damn hot; spoilers were leaked a month ago about who Black Canary will turn out to be
Flag
I have one question. Did Laurel just happen to have a SWAT team following her about ALL the time so that when the Hood (Arrow) came to see her she could spring her trap, or did the two of them have an ongoing appointment time?
Flag
if u r gonna worry about logic all the time then you cannot enjoy this show..this has so many loopholes but so what this is my favorite show now..
Flag
Sometimes it's like a horror movie; logic be damned and just go with it; I just saw insidious 2 last night and they were some of the stupidest characters in horror movie history and it was boring; but I'm all for throwing logic out the window within reason
Flag
Staff
I imagine it was one of those gambles. She predicted he'd show up after busting China White and Bronze Tiger based on their conversation earlier. If she hadn't, she'd look pretty silly. But, hey, maybe those cops got overtime!
Flag
I like this is a show that continues to evolve and grow. It doesn't always do it great, but I like that it tries to do it.

Seeing Oliver change his methods is what we all knew would happen eventually, and it's good the writers didn't fail to go that way. It may have happened a touch too fast, but I can buy Tommy's death/the destruction of The Glades, and the fact that the list is no longer in play being a moment of clarity. I think Ollie feels had he been a different hero, Tommy may not be dead (or, at least, their friendship wouldn't have suffered as much before Tommy died). However, Laurel's turn is just being mishandled. She knows The Hood killed people, but he had no need to kill Tommy. It makes her really dumb, something they tried to NOT do last season. Poor Katie is really saddled with the worst story turns of this show. Somehow Thea is more likeable (and her concern for Roy more genuine) and I never saw that coming.

I hope Black Dynamite has more to do next time. Bronze Tiger got the shaft this time. I have heard some complain of him being a Wolverine knock-off, but he has used claws before and he's actually more like a mix of Luke Cage and Black Panther. He fought Batman to a standstill, so dodging arrows is in his wheelhouse. He's also from Central City, so there's ANOTHER Flash reference tucked in there. I did hate the editing in that fight, but the payoff with a shock arrow was cool.

China White called him the Emerald Archer, so ALMOST Green Arrow (he hasn't yet dropped the name he chose. I see him pulling a Batman or Spider-Man and passing off to a cop/crook who then gets it to the media)

I'm still digging the show (no pun intended). Still kinda miss geeky Felicity. Not that business Felicity doesn't fill out a dress nicely, but I liked her more unique style.
More+
Flag
Poor homeless Wolverine, he's sure slumming these days.
Flag
This isn't your city, it's your killing field.

The only line of the entire night that I actually believed Katie Cassidy delivered flawlessly. Her anger is frustrating, but it's interesting that she is struggling with her identity in this episode too. Where as Felicity and Digg are there to remind Oliver he isn't the only one going through a hard time having a dual life, it seems no one is there to remind Laurel that she isn't the only one who is struggling after losing Tommy. Oliver is just dealing with it much differently.

My prediction is Black Canary comes swooping in to get Oliver out of this!
Flag
Diggle had the best lines of the night. LOL

LOVE LOVE LOVE Felicity's wardrobe.

I know Laurel's supposed to be his true love and all that but really, I can't with her. She opens her mouth and it's like the adults in Peanuts........wamp, wamp, wamp.

Kevin Alejandro is great in everything. Great move bringing him in Arrow bosses *applause*
Flag
So. A company supplying medicine is attacked on a regular basis, yet the company only sends out single drivers in the middle of the night without protection to die time and time again?

How about armored cars? How about some guards? How about protection?

And why on earth is there a black wannabe wolverine? Sorry but that ruined the episode for me. And ofc just let the bad guys live. Awesome way to guarantee they will be back to cause more mayham and kill more people. Great Job!
Flag
Bronze Tiger is a slightly older character than Wolverine, so which one is the wannabe? :)
Flag
Staff
It's FEMA, not a company, so no government resources allocated for protection. SCPD could've certainly gone as escorts, however. (Time table makes no sense, I'll agree.)
Flag
Sorry im not American so I had no clue what FEMA was.
Flag
Staff
No worries. :)
Flag
"It wouldn't be hard to strip away Blood's superhuman powers and still have a compelling character" aka. Deacon Joseph Blackfire ;)
Flag
Staff
Do you feel their version of Blood is more Blackfire-y? (Blackfiery?) I haven't read the story with him in it, which is why I ask.
Flag
Well it's only been one episode so it's kinda hard to tell, but Brother Blood always seemed to be more focused on world domination and had a centuries old cult to back him up. Ignoring that Blackfire might have been a several hundered year old Indian shaman, Blackfire's focus was on taking over one city and he did it by appealing to the poor and disposed, which sums up the denizens of the Glades pretty well. It's been a while since I read 'The Cult' but Arrow's Blood doesn't seem to be as publicly friendly as Blackfire initially was, but then again the nice guy running a homeless shelter act didn't last for long

(Blackfire-esque?)
Flag
Of course this show would take Black Dynamite and make him a lame Wolverine rip-off.

And Ollie, your true love hates your gutless guts! HAHA!
Flag
Such a good and fun episode

#TeamFelicity

That is all
Flag
The best parts of the episode were the moments between Oliver, Diggle and Felicity.And with every passing episode Laurel is getting more annoying.
Flag
Manu Benett is a lot more Australia(/ New Zelander) sounding IRL then they let his be in the show.
Flag
Yeah because why would an SAS trooper working for ASIS (and let me just say, having him say it as letters instead of how Australianssay it, that is as a word, A-sis is really really freaking obnoxious) have an Australian accent...
Flag
Your comment left me confused. You know he's an Austrelian ya?
Flag
My comment was saracasm.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. The 'identity' parallel between the island flashbacks and current events was nice, and it fit very well. The dialogue between Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity on the topic was funny and also very on point. "My secret identity is his black driver." LOL - Diggle needs a lot more screen time! And I agree - the wardrobe department deserves a big kudos for Felicity's new look. And it's necessary if she's going to be Oliver's right hand woman, so to speak.

Someone mentioned the big character shifts with Felicity and Roy being surprising, but I disagree. I think we saw some growth in that direction in Season 1, and the fall of the Glades was bound to make a difference. I would have been surprised if Roy wasn't out there trying to make a difference - it's his home. Felicity has stood up to Oliver before, even in the beginning. Yes, she gets flustered, but it's never stopped her from speaking up. Plus, Felicity probably had a lot to do (and think about) when Oliver took off after the earthquake. The growth seems natural IMO.

Laurel - that's another story. Is it just me, or is this character way too freaking emotional to be seen as a good (and logical) attorney? From the beginning, I've really wanted to like her, and I just... don't. Her emotions and stubborn nature have been kind of all over the place - I liked her better when Tommy balanced her out. Without Tommy, and with her palpable lack of chemistry with Oliver - what are they doing with her? And why is she on scene with the police? I have a friend who works for the D.A.'s office back home, and that's not her job. I also don't buy her as Black Canary at the moment, so I hope the plan is to have another Black Canary in the beginning and we see Laurel grow into that role. She still seems too immature for it at the moment.

All in all, great episode! And what an evil cliffie! I'll be watching next week :-)
More+
Flag
What if Black Canary is Sarah Lance and they're setting up for Laurel to take her place after she dies (again)?
Flag
Depending on how it's handled, I could be on board with that. But they need a good reason for Sarah staying 'dead' in that case (i.e. not contacting her family, etc.) Laurel just doesn't seem to be in the right place to take on the role yet. They're kind of ruining Dinah Lance's character IMO - and I still don't like this actress in the role. She's annoying, and I honestly can't tell how much of it is the actress and how much is the material she's being given to work with. Her onscreen chemistry with the other actors isn't stellar (Tommy and occasionally Quentin being exceptions.) I'm still leaning towards Katie Cassidy being a bad casting decision, but she needs better material to work with regardless. Sappy crying scenes and weekly girl-in-peril don't do the character justice
Flag
It's definitely the material, she was fantastic as Ruby on Supernatural!
Flag
Agreed. I heard the character got bad reception, but I really loved Katie Cassidy in Supernatural (and was kinda sad about her being replaced by the new Ruby). She was pretty good in Harper's Island as well. Here, she has pretty much nothing to work with. Laurel is supposed to be this perfect specimen of human woman who has brains, beauty and always does the right thing, and she's just the most boring thing on earth (and not very likable). Thinking that she's endgame with Oliver worries me because then she's going to be on screen all the time and I'm not sure I can stand that.
Flag
Wait. Original Ruby or the second Ruby?
Flag
I've heard people say that but I've never watched Supernatural. Still, just because an actor is good in one role doesn't mean they're good in every role. Take Tom Hanks - loved him in Forrest Gump, Big, Castaway, etc. - but I wouldn't buy him as Batman ;-)
Flag
I don't understand. What's Friday Girl?
Flag
Girl Friday; from Robinson Crusoe the character Man Friday , basically right hand man. But with Felicty not being male and the show being on a Wednesday we got the 'Girl Wednesday' line
Flag
if i'm not wrong and correct me if i'm wrong here, it's actually 'Girl Friday' meaning a female employee who does everything in the office including secretarial work however people find it a degrading term for women.
Flag
I don't think it was meant in a derogatory way, though. As Gully Foyle said, it's a play on words. 'His Girl Friday' is also a famous movie starring Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell - Grant played a newspaper editor and Russell was his ex-wife and star reporter (definitely not an office grunt/secretary.) She was a pretty awesome and career driven character, actually. I watched it a few times with my grandmother
Flag
It's not meant as derogatory term however it's applied, it denotes someone you can implicitily trust , sticking to the comic book references :
Alfred Pennyworth would be Bruce Wayne's Man Friday
Pepper Potts would be Tony Stark's Girl Friday
Flag
Oh thanks guys!!
Flag
The writers just can't resist thier little DC easter eggs :
Truck 52 being hijacked on Lemire Avenue.

Also looks like Yogi Bear has moved to Starling City, from the news ticker:
Conservation Officers sudue an overly friendly bear near a local park

Kevin Alejandro definately sold the character of Sebastian Blood, he brought the same sort of intensity that he had in Golden Boy.

As of the episode title Identity, looks like the writers are going for the who is the 'real' Oliver Queen?
Ollie : "I'm just lucky Oliver Queen has a reputation for not showing up on time."
Diggle : "It really wierds me out the way you refer to yourself in the third person like that."

Which is the secret identity, the guy in the hood or the guy in the suit?

And I don't know why but something in the back of my head tells me the pirates, or whoever they are, are on the island looking for a Lazarus pit.
Flag
Yea I noticed with the news program it said News 52 . I don't know if it showed that before and I just didn't notice until now.
Flag
Staff
They used it last week, too. I don't think they did that last season. I'd have to go back and check.
Flag
I definitely agree on the whole "who is the real Oliver?" idea.
Flag
I miss Golden Boy! :-(
Flag
OMG I LOVED THIS EPISODE but come on laurel what are doing. Apart from that it was a great episode as usual. the guy on the news said they captured the blonde haired lady but what about the guy with the claws nothing was mentioned about his capture, maybe he escaped? Glad arrow is back I missed this show when it was off air
Flag
One of my favorite Arrow episodes to date so far, I found only one small flaw in this episode. Normally, the storytelling is a bit choppy and yet the characters show good flow and development. I'm surprised that Felicity can change so much from shy and reserved to the point of incapacitation to completely take charge and in-your-face. This huge change of character also applies to Roy, going from a purse snatching gang boy to a flawed hero taking abuse for criminals he's trying to stop and browbeaten by his girlfriend. I know that six months has gone by, but in both these characters,that is a large scale change for that amount of time. I also think that Laurel has a totally illogical and irrational reason for the change in her attitude. I still think this is one of the best shows on TV and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, which I believe will be better than the first.
Flag
Can the writers of Arrow make Laurel's character more likeable? I really really want to like her but I just can't. And she is suppose to be the Black Canary. Please dear writers!
Flag
She is also supposed to become Oliver's wife as well as black canary but maybe this direction she has taken in the first 2episodes will lead her to become both as the black canary in the previous episode trains her or helps her
Flag
I was disappointed that one scene from the promo was missing from the episode. In the promo China White is lying in bed saying "feeling unsatisfied?" Based on that I thought things would heat up between her and Oliver in this episode.
Flag
maybe this a clip for a later episode, she might escape. They sometime through those types of thing in there.
Flag
Awsome episode. If no one noticed,they changed intro and I love it. This episode was even better than season premiere of 2nd season. Anyone else thinks,that Laurel didn't come with the cops ? She was dressed all in black,so she might have been following cops as BC.
Villains on Arrow were always dealt with in same episode,they were introduced,so it didn't really bother me,because we all know they'll be back.
I loved build up of episode and how they did it. And I love seeing those exercises Ollie did.

Arrow should improve on fight scenes yes,but no on taking "pages" from S.H.I.E.L.D....they got Crixus there,they should take pages from Spartacus series.
Flag
Is it just me who is beginning to like laurel less and less, her logic is faulty even if she is supposed to be hurting over tommy who she didn't even love. It seems more than a little extreme to flip flop on her views so suddenly. Bring on more felicity I say.
Flag
I think this episode was a revelation....
About how bad Obamacare is going to be without vigilantes :-)

oh and before anyone goes on a "don't bring politics into this" rant - I'm not American, dont live in America and I dont care whose political beliefs I may have just offended, because it doesnt have any impact on me
Flag
Why bring it up if you don't care then?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The Oliver/Felicity scenes annoyed me for the first time. Seriously, what was going on with that? I loved Laurel in this episode, I think she has justified her vendetta a bit more and I loved that she got a lot of screentime this episode. The chemistry between Laurel and the Hood seems to be better than the chemistry between Laurel and Oliver. Overall, the episode was very entertaining and I'm dying to see what happens next. Oliver will of course escape, but what happens in the first minutes of the next episode are uncertain and I love that (maybe he will reveal himself?)
Flag
i hope we dont wait to till season 5 to see slade in the present day because i really want to see him in the present as a bad guy.

Hopefully we can see more teen titan people on the show, that would be kool
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members