An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW

Arrow has cast the iconic role of its newest villain, Ra's al Ghul, and it's not Liam Neeson even though we tried very hard to wish that into existence. Instead, Riddick star Matt Nable has won the coveted gig, TV.com has confirmed. 

Ra's al Ghul is the leader of the League of Assassins and a master of martial arts. He will stop at nothing to keep some secrets buried. He's also the father of Nyssa, played by Katrina Law, who was last seen in the Season 2 finale.

The character will first be introduced in Episode 4 of the show's upcoming third season and will recur for an undisclosed number of episodes. According to the show's producers, Arrow's version of Ra's will stay true to the character that is depicted in the comic books, but with a new spin.

Series star Stephen Amell confirmed the casting news on Twitter, writing: "Please welcome Matt Nable to Arrow. You know who he's playing," along with a picture of Ra's al Ghul from the comics.

What do you think of this casting? Are you bummed the role didn't go to someone with a bigger profile? Perhaps with an Irish accent? Who sounds very threatening? Hit the comments!

Arrow returns Wednesday, October 8 at 8pm on The CW.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/7/2016

Season 5 : Episode 9

52 Comments
Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It has been one of my chief disappointments that in movies the role of Ra's El Ghoul, Ogre Head, is not played by a Middle Eastern Actor. Even Tony Shalhoub , in the sense that he's not known for his super villain's roles, would be better at it than any other non ethnic actor for this embodiment. I am never in favor that ethnicity be related to roles, and this is the only exception, which should tell that it means a lot to me.
Unlike both Marvel properties Apocalypse,En Sabah Nur, the "Eye of Dawn" and not "the first one", by the way; or even The Sphinx, Anath Na Mut , "I Do Not Die", who can be played by any actor, Both have maintained a link with their Egyptian mythological past but have become something else.
Ra's El Ghoul is the only character of that line who has maintained the closest link with the very idea of immortality because unlike the others he is not an immortal himself, and thus needs to replenish himself in the miraculous Lazarus Pits. His other side, as a scourge of humanity, leader to the League of Assassins, and bound for global genocide every now and then makes him the most distorted vision of the Ancient Egyptian creed.
I know, it's complicated :-)
More+
Flag
I want to see him in action as Ra's to comment. I think it will be very hard to top Slade Wilson/Deathstroke, for me the best villain of this past season, in any show, no doubt about it (well, maybe head-to-head with Malkovich's Blackbeard, but I don't know).
Flag
Eyeroll. He doesn't have remotely the right look, he's got the wrong kind of accent, and he seems to have limited acting experience, thanks producers for just picking at random.
Flag
He just changes his accent like Paul Blackthorne and Katrina Law who is a New Jersey girl.
Flag
Paul Blackthorne's accent is always on the edge of breaking down, it's his slobber that keeps us too distracted to care.
Flag
As long as Katrina Law is going to be back its all good. 3rd season is the one where shows prove they can sustain greatness or flop. Anxious to see if it can keep up its pace. Gonna miss having 'Crixus' around because Manu Bennett is just completely awesome; hopefully with the legend that is John Barrowman coming back full time 'Arrow' Season 3 is going to be the best one yet.
Flag
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....... We wanted Liam you bastards!!!!!!!!!! but I have to admit that Matt Nable does look like Ra's..... Anyways we've seen worst choice of actors for a DC character!!! (Ben Affleck as Batman)
Flag
liam would have been too good to be true, even though he publicly stated that he WANTED to do it.
Flag
I, too, was hoping for Liam Neeson, but I recognized that it may not have been practical/financially feasible. The other way that I wanted Ra's portrayed would be as never being seen on camera, remaining silent, and always in the shadows with his face (partially) obscured.
Flag
Liam Neeson would have been great, but I'm sure Matt Nable will be good.
Flag
he'll do great, it's just we prefer Liam.
Flag
Thanks to Key & Peele I like to think of him as Liam Neesons :)
Flag
liam neeson was to good to be true... LOL

Only True Detective could cast someone like liam neeson, and btw that should be an amazing cast for True Detective 2nd season LOL ;)
Flag
'Kinda feel sorry for Nable - if Neeson didn't say he would have love replaying al Ghul on Arrow, I guess he would have been a good choice.

But now? Oh boy...

Now, it will be very hard for all of us to not think 'what if...' all the time, especially if Nable doesn't hit it out of the park on his very first guess appearance.

Anyway, 'knew all along Neeson wouldn't get the job, because, you know... DC/Warner.
Flag
I think it will work Liam Nelson would have been amazingly perfect but I think this guy will do great he was good in Riddick.
Flag
Is it just me or does he look a bit like Marc Blucas?
Flag
Marc Blucas -- That's exactly who I thought it was when I saw the picture.
Flag
I was thinking Pedro Pascal a little myself.
Flag
Yay! Loved this guy in Riddick. He could definitely nail it! We all loved the idea of Liam Neeson returning, but it was not even remotely possible that it would have happened.
Flag
I was hoping for Russell Crowe as Ras..... I hope they make this guy look older, looks more like he should be Nyssa's brother
Flag
In all fairness, an older brother.
And if they are in fact staying true to the comics, you are talking about a character that is 400ish years old and his looks fluctuate between early 30's to no later looking than 50's.
Lazarus pit my friend.
Flag
He must've made another trip to the Lazarus Pit for this show.....

Actually, I thought Sean Connery would've made a great Ras al Ghul, But they would probably need a stunt double for him.
Flag
Liam would of been great, but figured it would not happen, so as long as Nable does the job greatly, all is good.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I appear to have lost my death certificate, also my pentagon top secret security clearance card. I'm also quite intrigued with the 1 thousand dollar bill, Do you provide samples so that I can check over your craftmanship?
Flag
Meh, I'm unfamiliar with Nable. I just know that my brain will be redubbing his dialogue with David Warner's voice.
Flag
Well it would have been epic if they really did get Liam to reprise his role but it would have been equally great if they could have got Gary Oldman to play Gordon in Gotham. In both cases nether happened but I don't think it is going to hurt ether show. However time will tell. Congrats Matt Nable on landing the roll. Now do him justice.
Flag
Gary Oldman would be too old to be Gordon in this Gotham serie. Ben McKenzie will do amazing job as James Gordon and his eyes can be scary when he gets to that state of mind. Loved him in Southland and he's a great actor. Yeah hopefully Matt Nable does well :)
Flag
Oh yea that is right I wasn't even thinking about it being pre batman. I seen the trailers and yea it looks really great and yea Ben seems to fit the roll really good.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Laurel was the only bad piece of casting so far, so i trust this fellow will do well as Ra's.
Flag
I see a lot of people say bad things about Laurel and I just don't see why. She isn't THAT bad in my opinion. Not the greatest character but that has nothing to do with the actress. I wouldn't care for the character no matter who played her. That being said I don't hate the character ether just meh.
Flag
She was a bad casting from day 1. They didn't need to fix the other characters, even Thea wasn't that difficult to fix. She was a bad choice for the role. It has been improved, though.
Flag
It's her writing and general story for the first season, and quite a bit of the second season. She got lot better towards the end though, they made her less annoying.

The actress is good.
Flag
Indeed I was referring to the casting of this actress for the role of Laurel, and also there is some major bad writting for the character from day 1. I think the bad writing comes along with the choice of actress, though. They greatly improved her in the later stages, I agree. I am not sure if it might have been too late, though. I have no idea if she is a good actress otherwise, because what I have seen from her was actually bad (that miniseries with the island murders and this). But I will give her the benefit of the doubt. For Laurel, however, she was the wrong choice.
Flag
They made her seem very weak willed and just annoying, the actress is fine I agree the character needs work they need to build her into a strong confident woman beacuse Sara who was just as damaged as Ollie was stronger than laurel.
Flag
yeah, the whole drinking thing didn't make her any interesting, just more annoying. At the end of last season she was getting better, so I hope they explore their strenghs going forward.
Flag
Can't wait for the new season to begin.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members