An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Arrow S02E19: "The Man Under the Hood"

As we hit the homestretch of Season 2, Arrow has once again found its groove. The show briefly lost track of itself upon returning from the December hiatus, and while I enjoyed a few episodes after that break, they were heavy on the arranging of things so that Arrow could increase its momentum starting with "Deathstroke" and not have to look back. Season 1 did this in a soft way with "The Undertaking," using flashbacks to flesh out Malcolm's motives and plans before sprinting hard through the penultimate episode and the finale, but Season 2 is looking decidedly more ambitious, with essentially a six-episode arc to wrap up the season.

And it's not only ambitious, it's smart. One reason why the season's first block of episodes—from the premiere to "Three Ghosts"—worked so well is that it used self-contained arcs to propel the narrative forward. So while we had a new criminal element to deal with each week, there were also narrative and emotional climaxes that provided just enough resolution to make it feel like things were moving. With that run, Arrow hit a sweet spot of episodic and serialized storytelling that was absent from the string of installments between "Blast Radius" and "Birds of Prey." Sure, there was the Laurel's-addiction-and-anger storyline that worked fine for some (depending on your personal level of Laurel appreciation/tolerance), but it got bogged down by middling criminals of the week and made that stretch of episodes feel fuzzy.

Now, however, Arrow has set up enough targets (and is still setting up a few more) that it can start hitting them without the need to round out episodes with random baddie who're looking to rob banks or blow up buildings. It has more than enough to do, and it's all stuff that Arrow has been building to all season, which is why it's so exciting.

We ended up with quite a range of action sequences this week, from the covert blowing-up of Queen Consolidated's Applied Sciences building to Slade wiping the floor with Oliver, Sara, and Diggle in their own headquarters to Oliver arriving at Slade's hideout to shut down the biotransfuser, only to find Roy hooked up the machine in a bit of (annoying) off-screen shortcutting. Not only did they provide plenty of thrills, they were motivated by more than just, "It's time for Oliver to fight some guys!" 

Razing the Applied Sciences facility was the natural—if slightly over-the-top—way to stop Slade from further weaponizing his blood, something Team Arrow discovered that he intended to do after he recruited those convicts. But couldn't they've just destroyed on the centrifuge, instead of the entire building? I suppose there were other goodies they didn't want Slade having access to, but in any case, they was also operating covertly, something I think benefits them; it's more proactive than waiting on someone else to do something, and it underscored the type of situation they've found themselves in, where they're having to make careful, if flashy, moves to undermine Slade's plans.

This resulted in Slade needing to fix the situation, leading him to break into the Arrow Cave, steal the techno-skeleton key, ruin a bunch of stuff, and, really, prove that he can do anything he damn well pleases. It was a personalized form of escalation, which is something that Slade excels at. The obliteration of the Applied Sciences building hurt his plan, but it didn't hurt him. Breaking into the Arrow Cave and taking things sent a message to our heroes that they're not safe anywhere; it undermined their confidence, and it demonstrated just how in control Slade is.

So Slade stole another doodad from S.T.A.R. Labs, one that requires a lot of electricity to work, and that led to Oliver heading out to kill Slade when he would, presumably, be at his weakest. It was a logical chain of events organized around action-filled set pieces, plus there were narrative beats that instigated each one, which elevated the episode as a whole. 

Those of you who've been reading my Arrow reviews since the beginning know that the only thing I love more than action set pieces brought on by narrative logic are episodes that have a hook upon which to hang their story—some sort of idea that unifies their actions. Part of the reason is that such episodes give me something to write about and pick apart a little, but a larger part of me just likes it when all the plots feed into the same purpose. It gives everything a little extra weight and, perhaps most importantly, it signals that everything in the episode matters.

In this case, it was Quentin's little spiel to Laurel that told us what we needed to know about everything going on in "The Man Under the Hood." Quentin didn't want Laurel to spill the beans about what she knew because he wants to think of the Arrow as just a force, an entity with no other concerns outside of saving Starling City. It's the symbol that matters, not the man.

Finding out about the man ruins everything. Roy found out about Oliver and ended up running away from the man he used to believe in—a man who Roy thought was doing good—and it got him hooked up to a machine that's sucking his blood and transfusing it into a bunch of convicts to give them superpowers. Thea's entire world came crashing down as she learned about the people under the lies, as it were: Moira, Oliver, and now Robert Queen. The people who were supposed to love her and protect her were lying to her, and the truth has just been too much. Those forces of good were dragged down by fallibility, by being human, exactly the thing Quentin wants to avoid.

What was so great about all of this, however, was how much of this very idea—which means more to you: the idea of a person, or the actual person?—applied to Isabel as well. Her affair with Robert Queen was based on Robert being her soul mate, a man who loved her and understood her better than anyone else. Instead, she found that he was more Queen than Robert, tied to a family that included an illegitimate daughter. That's what drove her to team up with Slade, to train with him, and to die for him... until she received a helpful injection of mirakuru blood, of course.

The one person who saw it from another angle was Laurel. Quentin didn't want to know because knowing would make Oliver human. Thea, Roy, and Isabel didn't want to know because knowing would mean their loved ones were liars. But Laurel, with her hug to Oliver and her canny epiphany about Sara's alter ego, realized that knowing the identities of the people beneath the hoods and the masks doesn't mean judging them—it means understanding that they're not two different people, but rather individuals with motives and experiences all their own, motives and experiences that drive them to do the things they do. They may not make the best decisions, but the decisions come from a place of love, and that's what's important.

FROM THE QUIVER

– "A bomber. I'm a bomber. I wonder if I can list that on my resume under 'Special skills'."

– "I tried to kiss my half-brother before my real father killed him. That's how screwed-up I am!" Seriously, Thea has had like the worst few episodes.

– Starling City DA Kate Spencer: Super-impressed with being blackmailed once. Not really keen on it happening twice. Methinks she doesn't understand how blackmailing works: You always keep paying, no matter what.

– Everyone say "Hello!" to Danielle Panabaker and Carlos Valdes, who were playing Caitlin Snow and Cisco Ramon. Both of them have been cast in the pilot for The CW's The Flash spin-off, and their appearances here were sort of a "Yeah, remember when we were going to do the Flash pilot as Episode 20, but then the network decided to give us more money to make the pilot we so dropped that idea and put Barry in a coma? How about we give you two supporting characters to help Felicity make the mirakuru cure instead?" Both of them have sizable roles in the DC Comics universe, but you can look them up if you'd like to be more in-the-know.

– Earlier this week, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg held a Q&A session at a screening of this episode and next week's episode, and he said that the big reason Isabel disappeared was that the writers didn't know how they were going to play her: good gal or bad gal. It seems really bizarre to me that you wouldn't play Isabel as evil, but whatever. You can read the whole interview here, but I'd caution that it contains spoilers.

What did you think of "The Man Under the Hood"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

Next Episode

AIRS ON 10/5/2016

Season 5 : Episode 1

222 Comments
Comments (260)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Excellent episode. One criticism though:

Slade has been hit with a toxic arrow, an explosive arrow and some kind of wacky gun. Fool Slade once, shame on you. Fool Slade twice, shame on him. What happens when you fool him three times? He likes to boast that nothing will kill him, but when will he learn that some things can temporarily incapacitate him and maybe he should dodge the next attack instead of just standing there grinning like an idiot?

Also, do we know exactly what the deal is with Slade and what he's been doing besides devising convoluted plans to make Oliver suffer? He's amassed a huge amount of money in a very short time...doing what? And Oliver didn't know about him? We know Oliver didn't get his MBA on the island (although apparently Slade did), and presumably doesn't know much about Starling City's corporate fat cats beyond the list from season 1, but surely he would have eventually found out just by dumb luck that there was a one-eyed Australian billionaire living in his city before he showed up at the mansion?
Flag
This episode made perfectly clear what's the difference between Oliver and Slade. Oliver has people who care about him, Slade is alone in his misery and that's what makes a good villain.
Now that Wilson was forced to see Oliver taking (although indirectly again) another woman out of his life the war between Arrow and Deathstroke will reach a whole different level. It's clear that Oliver doesn't stand a chance against mirakuru fueled Wilson, he's counting only on Ivo's so-called cure to stop Deathstroke and his army of monsters.
Isabel had her very deserved ending. It's true what they say, hell has no wrath like a woman scorned. Join forces (or serve under) Wilson just to get back at the Queens was a bad move!
Thea is so angry at Moira and Oliver that she's willing to see the demise of his previous family, which will happen when daddy Merlin gets back to Starling City to make up for the lost time. Malcolm will be only one of many tools the League of Assassins will use to destroy Starling City.
Laurel apparently decided to listen to her father and turn a blind eye to the man under the hood in the name of what's best for the city. Is this the right decision? Only time will tell?
As for Roy I think his disapponitment at Oliver will be the first step in his journey to become the Red Arrow.
More+
Flag
Finally had enough of good shows turning into soap operas. Laurel's angst. Thea's angst and Moria's angst...pass me the bucket. It's clear that there are only a few shows these days that are NOT marketed at women an dthis is certainlynot one of them.
Flag
* Oliver is a complete POS to Isabel Rochev. Isabel did earn Queen Consolidated. She used her actual business skills. Queen Consolidated has been actually run by Isabel. Oliver was simply a very well compensated figurehead who did almost nothing for the company.

Oliver reduces Isabel who a woman scored. But Oliver is only anybody because he popped out of Moira Queen. Yet he has the gall to pretty much dismiss his father's philandering and be smug and entitled to someone who actually works for a living and who's actually smart and capable.

- I never recall a time when Bruce Wayne acted so entitled. He was grateful his parents were so wealthy and that that enabled him to have cool stuff. Oliver is the least intelligent and intellectual member of his family and is so incompetent that he didn't even know Isabel was diluting the Queen family's shares.

- And Oliver can talk all he wants about Isabel being a 'woman scorned', clearly Oliver assumed that Isabel was somehow in love with him and therefore would never act like a businessperson regarding him. He already knew Isabel wanted Queen Consolidated, but either he forget that or he somehow assumed that that one-time sex session with Oliver made her no longer want to 'betray' him.

- Oliver doesn't even know what a hostile takeover is. Isabel already had half the shares of the company, Oliver doesn't do anything for Queen Consolidated, Oliver doesn't even seem to know how Boards work, or what a Chairman and CEO can do.

* I assume the writers aren't trying to make Oliver seem unlikable. But if so that means they assume that the audience would support whatever Oliver does and however he acts.

* So Robert Queen was going to leave his family to go off and be with his 18 year old intern?

That man is a worse father than Hank Summers!

* By the way, Robert knowing Thea was Malcolm Merlyn's daughter, Tommy Meryln being a pretty much worthless spendthrift, and Oliver was also a worthless spendthrift, Robert probably didn't want Malcolm having a capable scion. Thea is clearly smarter and more capable in business than Oliver. Malcolm if anything was probably more respectable and perhaps even more powerful than Robert. Malcolm clearly loved his son. Malcolm's wife had died. It's NOT actually a good thing that Robert kept Thea from Malcolm. Malcolm may have been less evil if he had Thea.

* Isabel was murdered by Oliver's bodyguard. The Queen family would obviously be the number one suspects for Isabel's death and/or disappearance.

* Finally, it's interesting that Thea didn't actually need to sign those papers. She made the club a successful business and therefore she likely has her own money. Plus, being Meryln's daughter, she can easily inherit Meryln Global.

More+
Flag
Yes. Oliver is clueless about how such company works beyond "people call me boss and I get a ton of money and cool corporate toys to play with"

Seems only time he got involved in company was when it was in trouble and then it was somebody else who bailed him out and saved the day. If he had no business sense he should either realise that or have somebody explain it to him then appoint somebody to do actualy work in his stead.

Also not sure why Queen's personal stuff would be threatened. If that's theirs and not owned through company it should be safe, no matter who owns the company. Yes, they could be broke and forced to sell it but the impression I got was that Isabel is poised to take the house and stuff away due to her taking over the company.
Flag
* It seems Isabel Rochev was actually running the company. Remember that Oliver's family AND a bank affiliated with the family owned 50% of the shares. Oliver couldn't actually appoint whoever he wanted to be CEO.

* Regarding the personal possessions, it's possible that they are collateral in terms of some of the stock the family has in the company - meaning used to try to get the family to owns as much as possible so that Isabel Rochev wouldn't be able to own over half the company.
Flag
I ment not as formal position but somebody who would do actual work in his name then Oliver would just sign off on it.

If their personal possesions are tied to stocks then whoever owns the stocks owns that. So they can't move things around to keep it out of Isabel's hands. Either she owns them because she owns the company so whole plan is moot and impossible or she doesn't at which point plan is pointless since they are out of her grasp.

And if they are used as collateral for stocks then they are still family's since family owns the stock, even if it's worthless. At least that's how I understand situation.
Flag
@aktarian

Again, Oliver's family didn't own enough stock for Oliver to install whomever he wanted to do the 'CEO work'. The only reason Oliver was still CEO is because Isabel Rochev's company didn't own a majority share and she wanted Oliver to remain as CEO so that he'd be the figurehead of the company.
Flag
Isabel was doing CEO work because she owned part of the stock (or at least worked for people who did). What I'm saying is that Oliver couldn't be bothered to do actual work he could appoint somebody to do it for him. Like you hire a lawyer to represent you, do the paperwork and such and then you sign the papers. You are making the call but lawyer does the work.

Let's say I own company A. That company than buys stock in company B, allowing me to sit on their board and make dicissions. But I don't feel like doing that (or don't have time) so I hire somebody who does. He then sits on their board and represents me. Legally I'm making the decission since he is just my representative and not independant actor but he is doing the actual work of voting, talking, sitting on meetings and such.

As for collateral my problem is that once Isabel took over and ousted Oliver things froze in place, so to speak. If their personal possesions were tied to their position then they lsot control over it and whetever moving they want to do can't happen. If it's not tied that way then it's safe and there is no need to move it.

But yes, I agree, it doesn't seem much thought was given to it and writers jsut went for drama and shock effect.
More +
Flag
* It seems Isabel Rochev was doing the actual CEO work. Oliver Queen seems to have been simply a figurehead. I don't know what else to say about that. Again, Oliver couldn't install whoever he wanted. Isabel for whatever reason wanted to have Oliver as a figurehead instead of immediately demanding that she be CEO.

* It seems you don't know what collateral is. The Queens wouldn't be legally "out-maneuvering" Isabel Rochev or Queen Consolidated -- they'd be "out-maneuvering" whatever bank or whatever gave them the loan, which would probably be Oliver's former stepfather's bank. And if the stock is worthless, the bank could take the collateral -- that's what collateral is.

- Anyway, I'm sure not much thought was actually put into this. The show is simply going for the "drama". Moira's lawyers would already had the family's property and possessions in a trust and her former husband's bank simply would have bought a bigger share of the company or would have given the Queen family a loan. No one would ever put all of their wealth into one stock.

Also, it's about impossible that Isabel could have reduced the Queen's shares to that extent. Even if Oliver, Moira, and Thea were completely not paying attention, that bank certainly would never allow their shares to be diluted to that extent. And it's pretty much legally impossible to dilute shares to that extent without the content of the shares' owners.
More +
Flag
The Queen's are meant to be billionaires. Oliver was always presented as a billionaire playboy in season 1. Queen Consolidated is a big weapons manufacturer with government contracts. The Queen's would never have got in financial trouble, but they still own 50%, so how Oliver can end up losing it and being poor so he can't pay Felicity and Diggle I don't know.

How would anyone not immediately recognise Oliver and Sarah, when Barry said he was making Oliver a mask I thought, "finally an actual disguise", but no, it was a bit of rubber for his eyes and no better than the paint. This show is daft. Last season I'll be watching.
Flag
* Stock is "paper wealth". Anyway, the episode specifically stated that Isabel Rochev was able to dilute the Queen's family's shares.
Flag
Deathstroke kicking ass all over the place!! although it was pretty funny when Caitlin and Cisco got one over Deathstroke.
Flag
I really didnt understand why a blood pump of any size and form needs so much power that it becomes easily noticable by the heroes. Even with 5000 tubes, its still a pump and nothing more.
Flag
I just want to say that Deathstroke is the best villian i have seen in a while..he is so fantasticly evil and full with revenge...
But damn, everything is falling apart for Ollie...
Thea can be so dramatic, but she has indeed been trough some hell...
Roy helping Slade or Slade choose Roy??
Laurel knows now and Ollie knows that she knows...
Can't wait for the season finale...
Flag
Manu Bennett should play Deathstroke in everything DC, even do the voice for the character on the animation (the one on 'Son of Batman' was terrible!)
Flag
I still have my doubts whether it was the correct play to bring Slade into the present storyline so soon. I feel that the show could've benefitted from delaying his entry onto the current stage for a season more. Perhaps then both Blood and Rochev would amount to more than just being Deathstroke's pawns that they proved to be in the end, as they'd each initially hold more promise. Malcolm Merlyn and the League of Assassins could also appear as more than just throwaway plots in that case.

The gradual dismantling of Oliver's life does hold a sizeable appeal story-wise, even if his opponent seems to be a tad too powerful and out of his reach. Overall, I'm not too impressed with the whole Mirakuru plot. I've always been more than fine with Arrow delving into the superpowers area, but this way hasn't particularly done it for me. It really didn't have to be "super-strong-could-break-your-neck-like-a-twig" with crazy regeneration powers all at once. Which became even more ridiculous after Roy was molded into a semi-Terminator offspring.

So I did roll my eyes at the deus ex machina presented to us in the form of potential Mirakuru clue, that Oliver conveniently didn't mention at all before, not even when Cyrus Gold was an issue. I rolled my eyes at the over the top and somewhat unnecessary blowing up of the entire building. I suppose it would be easier to swallow if I could fully buy into Oliver's desperation.

Thea reverted back to being a thoroughly insufferable brat. Such an unfortunate and misunderstood girl that she is, with life being so evil on poor her. Nevermind the huge fortune, good looks, and the elevated social position, she has it so bad that my heart nearly broke. Because hey, having a different biological father suddenly changes all that was real in the childhood experience. There is some logic in there, there must be. I'm sure it's just incredibly hard to find.
On the other hand, I continue to be pleasantly surprised by Laurel. I've been warming up to her for a few episodes now, something I would've never expected to happen. Not after everything.

The fight in the Arrow Cave was a highlight of the episode, it demonstrated the power Slade possesses in a very evident manner. I also liked the S.T.A.R. labs kids (not that they could've been any younger, could they have) who kept their heads on their shoulders (why didn't Oliver think of browsing his Applied Sciences division in search of something useful against the unstoppable Deathstroke machine...). And the greatest mystery undoubtedly came with Barry Allen seemingly finding a new (?) girl while still being in a coma. That is truly impressive.
More+
Flag
I liked the mention to Iris.
Flag
1] Thea needs to lighten up on herself and everyone else. Her melodrama is getting my my nerves, and she was at one time one of my favorite characters. 2] Laurel is becoming more likeable with every episode, which is a major plus for most of us. 3] While Slade took a body blow, he still came back stronger than ever. In fact, Slade is too strong. Wiping the floor with team Arrow was as humiliating as it was frustrating. I hope Arrow finds an antidote to the Miracuru [sp] and kicks his sorry ass for AT LEAST 5 MINUTES OF uninterrupted PROGRAM TIME. I need retribution. He's the quintessential megalomaniac psychopath, which the writers are good at scripting. Merlin comes to mind. I like the focusing that's going on. No longer the villain of the week, but rather Arrow and company vs. Slade and his army of clones. This was a good call.

Flag
Looks like Summer Glau's going to get to play Terminator again! Isabel's going to be one badass villain, considering she gave Oliver trouble even as a normal girl.
Flag
Exactly what I thought. At first I disliked the idea of Isabel playing for the bad guys because that gives her kind of an expiration date in a series like this. When she got shot I was like "Booo. Don't kill off Summer. There's never enough Summer!".
But super-badass villain, I can live with. Summer rocked as Terminator, so I'm more than happy.
Flag
i hate thea shes been whining and complaining from day one. grow up!
Flag
WOW what a great episode, I loved it. Thea needs a break she's been through a lot in the last few episodes but she also needs to find a way past the hate towards Ollie, moria now she deserves all the hate but not Ollie. It was nice to see laurel kind of step up in this episodes and the hug between her and Ollie was nice, but I just hope Sara doesn't die and she takes over as the black cannery she isn't ready for that and neither is Ollie he has moved past is love for her and it's pointless to have him go backwards, I know in the comics she is his love or what ever but I like the way Arrow has changed that. Over all another solid episode with lots of action.
Flag
Iris exists as Barry's love interest in this universe! Poor Felicity, I really thought it was gonna be Barry + Felicity = end game, but apparently not.
Flag
They're on different shows that are set in different cities. Granted, Flash could make time for visits, but still...
Flag
Awesome episode!! can't wait for the next one
-thea should stop the bitching, she has a brother and a mother that loves her, yes she found out that his father is malcolm merlyn but come on it¡s not the end of the world
-laurel sooooo boring, I don't care about her anymore, I hope all that blackmailing comes back to bite her
-isabel, I was kinda sad when diggle shot her because it ment no more summer glau but she has mirakuru in her system now?? interesting...
Flag
I don't know if you've seen this but take a look. In credits sais that Caity Lotz (Sara) is guest starring. So is she going to die in the end of the season ?

Flag
They explicity said that Sara is going die at the end of the season many, many times.
Flag
Don't read too much into the way the credits are presented. Raising Hope has been "Introducing Chloris Leachman" for four years now. They know that a lot of comics fans think the "wrong" Lance is the Black Canary.
Also, a different actress played Sarah in the first season.
Flag
emily bett rickards (felicity) started like that too, I hope they kill laurel
Flag
It's not the guest starring that should make anyone think she is doomed to die. With Laurel becoming more and more in the know, they only need one Lance sister. Knowing Laurel is black canary of the comics, its likely that Sara's death would motivate her to take the role that Sara has now. Plus, Slade is going to have to kill someone important to Oliver this year if they really really want to drag his story into next year(whether he is dead or not). We all know Felicity is not going anywhere, I don't think they will kill Diggle due to his connection to suicide squad and Amanda waller, and while Sara isn't as hated as Laurel , most reaction to her is neutral and not love either. Thea has too much to find out about to die just yet, and Roy is too important due to his character still not being a superhero yet. If they want a death, Sara is one of the only possible options.
Flag
*couch* Moira *cough*
Flag
I think it is too early for Moira. She ties in with the Malcolm storyline and has contact with the League of Assasins. I'd think that she wouldn't die until Malcolm is back in the picture.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You're supposed to cough when you say her name or it's considered spoilers. lol jk
Flag
Staff
She's been a guest star all season.
Flag
It may also have something to do with her budding movie career -

Flag
Super Quick Points

1. Thea please do not go back to that annoying person you were. You were starting to be decent.

2. I was afraid that I was going to go back to disliking Laurel because she knew the secret and she was going to start to be annoying again. So far, I still like her. She is really starting to grow on me. I love the hug between Oliver and her.

3. Slade badassness continues to be awesome. He is the perfect villain I love to hate.

3. I miss Barry. I'm glad to see his people were in here. They seem like funny. Cisco seems like the boy-version of Felicity.

Good episode.
Flag
well you cant really blame Thea she has a right to be angry
Flag
no no feel free to blame her
Flag
Someone should tell the writers to back off on the Gossip Girl overtones for Thea. She's taking over the one to be hated/annoyed at role of Laurel, in her entitled don't talk to me but give me the club and wealth I deserve incarnation.
Both interesting and confusing that Oliver had known of the cure and yet chose to try to kill Slade. After all they'd been through you'd of thought he'd given Slade a pass, particularly as he's still supposed to be wrapped up in guilt.
I couldn't see Glau being offed so easily and now we have more lethal ballet to look forward to - Reavers take note.
Oliver and Moira seem far too together too soon for my liking.
Oh Roy, when will you ever grow into being just a guy and not one who falls contantly?
Flag
My crazy prediction is that Laural is the one to take down Slade. Because that means its a combination of a misstep Slade made by telling Laural and Detective Lance telling her whats important about a vigilantly hero. At least more intrigal than a much needed hug after a string of really bad days. Im not saying that I now like Laural but it would be a good way to bring her into the arrow club and end a season.

PS Is Glau's character really dead or will the mirakuru revive her?
Flag
how is laurel going to take down slade when neither oliver or sarah can??? offering him a drink?
Flag
By element of surprise. Slade expects attacks from Sara, Oliver, and Dig, so he's prepared for them.
Flag
seriously??? he has mirakuru in him and now an army of mirakuru people and he has summer glau, laurel is a simple lawyer
Flag
And if the simple lawyer happens to be where Deathstroke is when he's, say, sleeping or injured, she could walk right up to him and put a clip of bullets in his head. Because he's not expecting it, it could happen. Oliver's not going to outfight him or outthink him...
Flag
did you not see the last 30 seconds?? her eyes opened and she was breathing
Flag
I probably just missed it. I was extremely tired when I watched the episode.
Flag
And a female Terminator was born
Flag
I the comics, Mrs. Terminator isn't super-powered, but Deathstroke's son is.
Flag
lmao i wish!!
Flag
sweet memories
Flag
PS - the flashback scenes were once again the drag on the episode. Ivo eats a gun from Ollie just as he's about to spill the beans about reversing Mirakuru (which is goddamned nonsense if you listen to his dialogue, he couldn't get it to work but he figured out how to reverse its effects?) That scene I think had to be there only to be yet another twist so Ivo will end up on next season having taken Mirakuru.
Flag
Staff
DAMMIT, JT. Why did you have to remind that I was so tired I failed to mention the island stuff?

I had the reversing mirakuru thing in my notes as followed: "So he couldn't make it work but he figured how not to make it work. Right. That makes zero sense. But then I'm not a chemist." I disliked it more than the Roy abduction not being on screen.
Flag
I had to remind you so as to not let you fly too close to the sun and melt those pretty wings of yours.
Flag
Seriously? People didn't know why fire burned wood for a long time, but they knew that putting enough water on it put out the fire. Heck, today we don't really know how the brain is able to be self-aware, but we know that if we shoot it enough times, it stops.

You don't have to know exactly how something works to discover something that will stop it from working.
Flag
Biological chemistry is a wee bit more complicated than fire. Ivo says he had never perfectly replicated the drug or its effects, how could he know he could reverse it then when he's never even encountered it, much less worked with it?
Flag
"Biological chemistry is a wee bit more complicated than fire."
History is full of drugs that worked just fine whether anyone understood the way they worked or not.

I agree that it's highly unlikely that he had a compound ready-made that would counteract miracuru (and even if he did, how did he work out dosing? I mean, you can keep chewing willow bark until your headache goes away, but how much anti-miracuru removes the miracuru-psychosis? 1 ml? 10ml? 8 gallons?)
Flag
But if they'd shown Roy's abduction it wouldn't have been a surprise.
Flag
I liked it as a surprise.
Flag
I completely agree with your issues on the Mirakura cure. There were a couple of other eye rolling scenes as well. Just because, the surveillance cameras are disabled, doesn't mean there aren't guards. So they just all take their masks off, so we can see their pretty faces? Oliver should know better. The other issue i had, was the DA saying Detective Lance, would be fully reinstated as a cop. Really? I didn't know she moonlighted as the police commissioner?
Flag
Heh heh, yeah, I definitely rolled my eyes at the masks coming off during the opening scene, but I had to chalk it up to "the audience needs to see the actors".

The thing about the Starling City Police Department is that they're utterly useless and work like nonsense, so it's just as likely a hobo on the street could reinstate Lance to duty as anybody. The justices system in Starling City is one big eyeroll all the time.
Flag
Still, not nearly as bad, as The Following's FBI. :)
Flag
Cops have a strong union, and it's almost impossible to fire them unless you convict them of wrongdoing, and sometimes not even then. Just because the DA doesn't take actions regarding police personnel matters doesn't mean she doesn't know full well what's going to happen.
Flag
The her line should have, "I'm sure he will be fully reinstated." Not that he was going to be reinstated. She stated as if it was her decision. That was between the police brass and the union, not the DA's office.

Don't get me wrong, i love Arrow. But when even i, can catch these mistakes, it's not good.
Flag
"...that wasn't nearly as bad as Lance being in prison awaiting trial."
Well i agree there. Maybe Starling City, doesn't have a county jail? lol
Flag
I didn't hear it the way you heard it. And as mistakes go, even if your interpretation is the right one, that wasn't nearly as bad as Lance being in prison awaiting trial.

Try this analogy. Picture a car wrapped around a telephone pole. The cop is telling the banged-up drunk guy sitting on the curb, "Yeah, not only is your car smashed up, but you're going to lose your license, too." The cop knows it's going to happen, even though he isn't the one who's going to do it, and even though there hasn't been a trial yet. But with those circumstances, there's no other outcome with any likelihood of occurrence.
Flag
Oh that lead image, I hate that Deathstroke costume so very much. The hockey mask looks really stupid and restrictive. The bulletproof armor doesn't make sense if the character doesn't care how he gets shot, but then it also doesn't even cause him to flinch? And it's baggy and covered in junk and orange buckles. Worst part of Slade Wilson on this show has to be that Deathstroke costume (and his CGI missing eye, but we don't have to see it very often).

You were annoyed by the offscreen shortcut with Roy being the Miracuru (oh my god get a new name for this stat!) source? I thought that was really slick, for once. Roy gets mad and leaves last episode, making sure neither Ollie nor Thea know what's up with him; in this episode, we have dialogue confirming that the team doesn't know what's up with him, they've looked but haven't found, but he's not priority - it feels like another excuse to not have all the actors paid for an episode as usual, but instead it's a twist and we get an actual payoff in that he's been taken and used. I really liked that, they did their legwork setting it up without drawing too much attention to it so that it's a surprise payoff later but not without foundation, not everything has to be shown.

Laurel's arc in this episode was rock solid too, she wasn't stupid and she didn't act rashly, she ended up listening to her father's advice and applying it to the situation, then acting with a cooler head.

You make a good point about the DA buckling to Laurel's really halfassed threats in this one, that was just embarrassing.

The STAR Labs duo felt a little like forcing something a bit hard, but whatever, it at least added nuance even if it made no sense to have Central City and Starling City storylines crossover here.

I will avoid spoilers for now.
More+
Flag
Staff
It just felt too shortcut for me. How did Slade and Isabel know where to find him? And how did they do it so quickly, considering that Slade just got the biotransfuser? Again, Arrow's lousy sense of time gets in the way for me. It was a very nice surprise, but one that confounded me a little when I had to think about it.
Flag
I try not to think too much about the Arrow storylines, ever since Oliver and Helena's inane justice debate in S1--I save thinking for POI and Sherlock.
:D

Flag
Slade's original plan was to use the centrifuge, but there was no reason to think that he was using his blood there either, he may already have picked up Roy before the opening scene. They do want to figure out how his abilities transferred successfully, after all.
Flag
Flag
"How did Slade and Isabel know where to find him?"
He showed up at a shelter run by Brother Blood. It was in the dialogue.

"It was a very nice surprise"
Was I the one who saw it coming? As soon as Oliver said it would weaken Deathstroke, I thought "well, then, he's not getting in it." Then all the careful camera angles to avoid showing who was in the machine confirmed my suspicion.
Flag
Staff
A shelter run by brother blood in bludhaven?
Flag
Noel, wasn't Bludhaven where Clone Roy went in Young Justice in the aftermath of Season 1?

Bludhaven = The home of disgruntled sidekicks everywhere (including one who was rumored to appear sometime in S2 or S3 of Arrow, but which may or may not be scrubbed due to the upcoming Supes vs. Bats film).

Flag
Flag
Staff
No mention of Brother Blood in the dialogue.

Flag
Dracula?
Flag
Was it in the dialogue? I didn't even notice, good catch, even more impressive that they were able to set it up and deliver it that well. I just figured he's always wearing the stealthy color of BRIGHT RED and he's angry and superpowered, not all that difficult to track down. ;-)
Flag
Brother Blood's been running the relief efforts in the the Glades. Harper's an unemployed homeless guy from the Glades. Not exactly shocking that Roy might have come to Blood's attention, and thus to Deathstroke's. But apparently, if the dialog quoted above is correct, then instead Roy left Starling City entirely, traveled to the vicinity of Gotham, and was somehow located there.
Flag
Really didnt like Thea in this episodes, her complaining just seemed so petty compared to everthing else Oliver had to deal with.
Flag
When will Barry wake up from his coma? I was really hoping for an appearance from him in Arrow's Finale, he could inject the Mirakuru army with the cure in a flash.
Flag
When I first saw Danielle Panabaker, I was thinking to myself if I had seen her somewhere or if the character showed up before on Arrow and I forgotten about it. She such eye candy I knew she probably would not show up a few minutes just to get killed off.

I am glad Noel pointed it out. she would be in Flash. Another reason for me to watch Flash next year.

I saw her credits include acting on the recently concluded Justified. Anyone here with sharp memory can remind what role she played? Is she one of the prisoner with Ava in prison ? The one who got killed by the rival gang?

This episode had some big reveal about the island- the fact the Mirakuru had a cure and Oliver did not use it on Slade five years ago. I am looking forward to how that plays out. So glad Ivo finally died !

It took me a few seconds to realized it was Roy on the machine. I liked Roy, so sad to see him there. I hope he does not die and learn from this experience.

I liked it that Quentin did not want to know who the Arrow is and is willing to sit in jail to give him more time. Never liked the character that much till now. I was hoping Team Arrow would saved him. In the end it only takes a little blackmail from Laurel to do it. It seems a little unbelievable Laurel's boss is so easily intimated.

Looking forward to an exciting ride til the finale !

More+
Flag
Its weird but I only remember her from Sky High - well that was until I came on here.
Flag
Yeah she was Ava's friend on the inside.
Flag
Thank you! I could not figure out where I had seen her before. Yup. It was the lady who was friends with ava who died in the prison. That was her.
Flag
Staff
THAT WAS HER. Gah. It was driving me nuts last night, even after I looked at the Justified cast list.
Flag
At times I still think she's Amber Tamblyn's sister.
Flag
Man, you guys suck at this, she played Penny in the "OH MY GOD GO AWAY" prison storyline there. I tend to remember her however as the daughter on James Woods' "Shark".
Flag
Hugh Hefner is gross. Also, vapid young girls have annoyed me since I was a kid.
Flag
Late 30s is very young ! Hugh Hefner was 80 ! Just saying :)
Flag
"did you know that she has a younger sister who is also an actress and looks almost the same? She was on SVU"

I actually knew Kay Panabaker first. She was Lindsay on CSI, and before that did several seasons in "Summerland", which is the one I remember.
Flag
MarlboroMagpi, she's a cute kid, but she was a teenager on that show, not a "hot girl" to me in my late 30s. She was a compelling actress at the time though, that's what I remembered (that and she reminded me nothing of James Woods or his character ;-).

Noelrk, surprised you didn't recognize her, she looked EXACTLY THE SAME on Justified, they couldn't even bother to dirty her up or muss her hair while she was IN PRISON. (Sorry, I'm still bitter at how shoddy that whole Ava storyline was.)

TomWayne, did you know that she has a younger sister who is also an actress and looks almost the same? She was on SVU, Kay Panabaker, drove me NUTS trying to figure out how she wasn't the daughter from Shark - this is how I ended up remembering their names, looking up all that.
Flag
I'm guessing that JT has IMDb on his desktop, not just bookmarked. :D
Flag
Staff
I vaguely recalled her Shark, but I knew i had seen her far more recently but could not for the life of me decide where.
Flag
Guess your memory of hot girls is better than us:-)
Flag
just, for the record: they mentioned dr. light in the episode, and called him a psyco- which he was, because being an evil scentist wasn't enough for him, he also had to be a rapist.
Flag
Ha! I totally missed the Dr. Light reference, great catch. I blame Mega Man. ;-)
Flag
Thanks--your little joke has now guaranteed how I'm spending those Wii Virtual Console points ...

Flag
Wow, this might be the first episode this season where Laurel didn't annoy me. She was actually great this episode. It finally felt like she grew up and became an adult and understood it isn't all about her. That role has apparently been taken by Thea. I can understand Thea's issue, but get over it and sign the papers or enjoy the homeless shelter with your ex.

Overall this was another strong episode in a series of strong episodes. This whole Slade business has really brought this show up to another level. Which actually causes me to worry a bit. What is the endgame with Slade, are they going to kill him? Are they going to "cure" him? I don't think they can, what they have is his blood, to develop a cure from that seems a bit of a reach, could they cure his underlings? sure. But the source of that? I doubt it. So that still leaves us with what is going to happen. Slade needs to go away for a time, because it can't just be the team vs Slade and them getting their arse kicked every week, as good as this has been it can't last for ever and be the only thing in the show. I am not sure, I would like him to stick around or at least come back from time to time. But I am not sure how, the only thing I can think of is that his "cure" is to cure him of his delusions about Shadow. And he becoming a sometimes ally and sometimes enemy. But I am not sure they would go for that.

This was one of the best episodes of the season.
More+
Flag
"what they have is his blood"

No, they have pure miracuru. They'd actually be better off if they had his blood, because then they could examine the metabolites of miracuru and look for an antagonist. With pure miracuru, they're stuck in the same place Slade and Blood were at the start of the season... looking for someone who can survive , in order to study how the drug works when it doesn't just kill the patient.
Flag
Ah, thanks for the correction, I thought it was just his blood.
Flag
So i'm guessing they will defeat Slade with the antidote in the season final. And as a twist they could later bring him back by saying it only helped against the others, but he had the mirakuru in him much longer. Don't really care much for the Thea drama. I do hope there will be an eventual cross-over with the flash tv series.
Flag
I'm hoping it'll just take away the crazy part, so he'll still be an unkillable mercenary hitman but not constantly focused on Ollie.
Flag
Small chance of that since the writers have focused so much on Slade's life mission being to make Oliver pay
Flag
Sure. He can go to Markovia, recruit the crown princess, and then we can do the whole earthquake storyline again, this time WITHOUT an earthquake machine. But who would they cast as Starfire, Wonder Girl, and Raven?
Flag
A Robin cameo would be awesome but I don't see him staying.
Flag
What about Cyborg, Robin, and hell, let's drag up Terra and Jericho too?
Flag
" I don't think [...] bat people having a chance in "Arrow"

If Harley Quinn can make a cameo, why not Nightwing?
Flag
Terra is Markovia princess and dying to know about Jericho as Slade seems to have totally forgotten about his son. I can see Diggle becoming Cyborg. Sadly, I don't think aliens, mystiques or bat people having a chance in "Arrow"
Flag
I really, really loved the scene between Laurel and her dad, in which she was all poised to tell him who the Arrow was and he didn't want to know. It was really touching, and even more so when Laurel gave Oliver a big hug at the end. It was kind of nice to be like, yeah, sorry Slade, that little trick didn't work.
Flag
I liked that Laurel was really understanding and just kind of let Oliver and Sarah continue this lie without challenging them but I hoped that her being in the know would get her more involved in the central conflict and it looks like instead, their going to keep her isolated from it for a little while longer which is disappointing. I also wish the Arrow writers' idea of a "good lawyer" wasn't just someone who blackmails a ton.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. Manu Bennett is really fantastic as Slade. He's improved a lot as an actor since the first season of Spartacus.
Flag
I love seeing Slade in full Deathstroke mode. The look, the moves, the strategic mind, it all works and is one of the best interpretations since Teen Titans.

Nice reference to Doctor Light. Makes me wonder if he might be a villain in the new Flash series if it goes to series. If not then maybe the could have used the reference opportunity a little better by referencing one of The Rogues. I could have seen a Mirror Master or Weather Wizard reference working just as well.

With Kate Spencer playing a bigger part in the show lately I wonder if she might eventually follow her comic book counterpart and start fighting crime herself as Manhunter.
Flag
Danielle Panabaker was awesome in "Shark" and I love that she's part of The Flash now...great little set-up here between her and Felicity (and Cisco of course)...

One thing I seriously had to take with a grain of salt: how quick and easy the whole transfusion thing was set up by Slade. His whole storyline is a little too ridiculous at times...but hey, sometimes I do forget this is comics... right?
Flag
I think I see what you're doing here Arrow and I'm not sure if I like it. But first, the stuff you did that I not only like, I LOVE!!!

When it comes to superheroes and their secret identities, there's always a fine line (by comic standards) between good story telling and the absurd and Quentin's little spiel to Laurel falls under the good story telling category. Not only did I absolutely believe that what a man like him would actually believe but I didn't think for a second that like so many other instances, this was one character covering for another. A cynic might say he was trying to protect Sara, but in this case (for once) I'm no cynic. That once she confirmed Oli was the arrow, going straight to her dad to fill him in on the secret is what I'd fully expect and Quentin's speech IMO was the perfect way to respond.

And Laurel, for ALL the hate fans have aimed her way did exactly what I wanted her to do. The old Laurel (or most other characters given the same situation) would have freaked out all over Oli and Sara, ripping them up one side and down the other...I'm looking at you, Tommy. But after some fantastic fatherly advice, she swallows her initial reaction and shows up, for what I'm sure is some much needed support for a friend. So often identity reveals are all about one person feeling betrayed. I'm so glad this went the other way...just so long as she doesn't get all snotty and passive aggressive about it going forward...I'm looking at you Chloe Sullivan.

Thea however, it's okay for you to feel betrayed. I initially thought she was just being a little dramatic, then she spelled it out for me. "I tried to kiss my half-brother before my real father killed him." and "I'm the daughter of two mass murderers, of course I'm not okay.". Well, when you put it that way, I might go a little off the rails too. Her level of anger towards Oliver might be misdirected, but given her parental situation and Roy up and vanishing after all his secrets...I get it and am giving her a pass.

But alas, all good things must come to an end. And for as good as this stuff was, the stuff I though was bad...was REALLY bad!

Roy somehow winding up in some shelter where Slade and Isabel just happen to find him so they could somehow take him back to Sterling City and, much to Oliver's surprise, hook him up to the Mirkur blood hookah pipe...? Ugh. Sure, whatever.

But that all leads into the compounding of what I'm really starting to hate about this season and all this Mirkur silliness. Starting with the foundation of Slade's motivation being the slaying of his soulmate ridiculousness to Oliver taking responsibility for "killing" her riDONKULOUSness we're now going to drop in the "Oh, by the way..." fact that there exists a cure for Mirkuru. What the F*CK?!?!? Really? So when Roy was infected and you were fearing for his life, there was no need to bring it up then? Or how about for the past few weeks when Slade's been kicking your tail all over town. He's shown he's WAY smarter that you and WAY more organized. There's not much you can do about that. But that there's maybe a fix for his physical dominance and you say nothing?!?!? BOOOOO!!!!! "I was ashamed. I could have cured him but I tried to kill him."? What garbage. That's almost as bad as taking accountability for Shado dying. Now that I think about it, perhaps it's even worse because Oliver's shame is apparently so great, it leaked out and infected Sara who also knew about a cure but kept her mouth shut.

This sudden discover of a cure though is a sign of how they're going to solve the problem of this season long story arc. Even without his Mirkuru powers, Oliver would have an awfully tough time taking Slade in a fight. "Remember who taught you how to fight, kid!". Indeed. But with the Mirkuru, he's flat out unbeatable. Period. End of story. He's also got the advantage of 5 years of meticulous research and planning. And now, in addition to his physical dominance and strategic dominance, we're going to add a bunch of Mirkuru enhanced minions? C'mon, this really is getting ridiculous. There's almost no scenario where by Team Arrow could possibly come out of this alive, never mind actually win. Unless...we introduce the idea of a cure which could balance the playing field to the point where survival is likely and victory a realistic option. Did we really just spend 19 episodes building up Team Slade's advantages to hyperbolic proportions only to undo them all with a carefully placed hypodermic need arrow after what I'm sure will be the miraculous synthesis of a secret cure? Like I said, UGH!

So unexpectedly long is this rave and rant that mentioning the whole Isabel, with gunshot wounds that mysteriously moved from the middle of her chest to her abdomen, being hooked up to the quickly repaired Mirkuru hookah machine and saved, but in light of everything else, that seem now like a minor irk.
More+
Flag
I was always expecting a "cure". I think they are setting up a choice. Save Roy or Kill Slade.

I also suspect the "cure" has something to do with Slade's missing eye. Like maybe the Arrow was tipped with the cure and that was what Ollie "thouht" killed Slade way back in the island days.

Flag
Not entirely proud to admit but at end of Thea's rant :
"I never going to be OK. It's not in my genes"
A flashing neon sign went on in my head "Insert crude double-entendre here", it's a shame she was wearing leggings.

My problem "the cure" isn't that it's a fix for the Mirkuru, because it pretty obvious that Team Arrow was going to able to depower Roy, the problem is that it's called a cure. An antidote, an antiserum, a counteragent all fine, just don't call it a cure, it's like saying someone found a "cure" for paracetamol.
Flag
If I'm honest, that they're not properly distinguishing between "cure" and "antiserum" is the very least of my issues with this whole story arc :)
Flag
Strictly speaking, they don't need a cure for miracuru, they need a cure for one of the adverse side-effects. And "cure" is the correct word in the previous sentence.
Flag
Wow,much to my surprise Laurel didn't turn into bitch. She handled Arrow is Ollie thing 100% different from what I had imagined.

Yep Arrow found it's sweet spot and every episode is just getting better and better.
Flag
Yea, laurel's dealing with Oliver's identity is damn close to being uncharacteristic of her.
Flag
Yeah was really surprise about that, I expected her to go bitch mode as she always does whenever she finds out a secret. Instead this Tia bitch mode turn so....
Flag
Totally agree!
Flag
During these shows I am usually able to take all "rationality" and throw it in the toilet for an hour and just enjoy the entertainment value, but I have to say last nights episode bugged me a bit. First, for Oliver to have Slade down with the explosive arrow and all his army in a comma trance, why did he just grab Roy and scoot out of there? Why wouldn't you take the opportunity to kill Slade and his army and his centrifuge thingy right then?

Don't even get me started on Laurel, and her demanding everything plus a unicorn and getting it. Why wouldn't that lady DA brought up a little thing called her recent drug history to put her back in her place? I don't blame my blind hatred of Laurel to anyone but the writers at this point. They drug her addiction, self righteous bit out WAY to long. I'm not sure I will ever be back to a point where I can feel anything but annoyance when I see her. I'm not sure anything will redeem her and it's a pity as it looks like she's going to be around a lot. One thing Arrow never is short of this second half of the second season is Lance sister drama.
More+
Flag
The explosive arrows were just a last-resort to use to incapacitate Slade long enough to escape. Besides, Oliver already put an arrow in his head once and it didn't kill him. He thought saving Roy would be a much better thing to do than figure out a way to end Slade for good – which, by the way, isn't the most superhero-y thing to do...
Flag
Also forgot to add that I laughed so hard at Sara's doctor who is just hanging in the hallway more than excited to spill her past medical history to anyone who walks up and asks about her. Great doctor/patient confidentiality there.
Flag
That made me laugh too

"What past injuries"
"Why have a seat young lady who I've never met before and presume you're telling the truth about being my patient's sister and let me tell you ALL about her medical history"
Flag
Laurel's been on TV a lot (first with CNRI, then later with the DA's office) so it could be that the doctor just recognized her.
Flag
Why did they call Laurel at all? That whole part was a headscratcher, it's the sort of thing you see in comics a lot though.
Flag
I agree. She wouldn't tell hospital people to call Laurel because she was being discharged anyway. And they wouldn't call her on their own since she was being discharged anyway.
Flag
marcusj1973, it's not a nitpick, it's a minor thing that sticks out as being incongruous and then leads to greater and greater contrivances. Whether or not you notice it right away, that's the sort of fictional device that ends up dragging a viewer's logic and bringing it down, it's the sort of thing that snags the mind and drags it away from the narrative. Conscious or not, those things do matter.

Sara cannot tell Laurel about these things because telling her puts Laurel at risk of discovering the secret identity and that puts her at greater risk of being used against Sara. There is absolutely no reason she couldn't just come in wearing a sling saying she got hurt, no big deal. Also, it's an eye mask and a wig.

docspector, we've seen Ollie with fractures several times getting fixed up in the cave. And Ollie was taking her home.
Flag
"She doesn't NEED anybody there"
Somebody's got to drive her home.

"it's not a significant injury."
She has a broken wrist. I don't think the Arrowcave is equipped for orthopedics.
Flag
JT Kirk

I'm pretty certain that, "Is there someone we can call for you?" is an awfully common question in hospitals. There was no sense in calling Oli, he was already there.

You're nit picking an episode that doesn't require a magnifying glass. But, if this is the horse you want to beat, she absolutely HAD to call Laurel. This is her estranged sister, who's just picked herself up, finished rehab and is in AA. Sara is trying to rebuild their relationship AND dating her ex-boyfriend. Being as truthful with Laurel is in her best interest if she wants any semblance of a normal family. And what normal people do after they've been in an accident (regardless of cause) bad enough to warrant a trip to the hospital, they call their loved ones out of common courtesy to let them know they're okay.

All this happened off screen, and despite there being a reasonable explanation for Laurel being there, you see it as a "monstrous plot contrivance". I can't imagine the hyperbole you'd use to describe the fact that despite being face to face, Laurel didn't recognize her own sister who's face was obscured with nothing by an eye mask.
More +
Flag
docspector, She doesn't NEED anybody there, she not only has Ollie, but it's not a significant injury. In fact, this is the sort of injury they deal with at the Arrowcave, there is no reason at all to be in the hospital except as a monstrous plot contrivance.
Flag
Because that's who Sarah told them to call? Her mom's out of town and her dad's, um, busy.
Flag
marcusj1973, here's the thing, if she had been unconscious, then it'd make sense to call listed family, but she wasn't.

If she had really been in a bike accident it might make sense for Ollie to call, but she wasn't.

So that whole scene made no sense except as a plot contrivance to get the info of Sara's past scars into Laurel's hands. It's a double contrivance - shouldn't have called Laurel to the hospital, shouldn't have told her about Sara's private medical history.
Flag
She's next of kin. Maybe Oli called her. But a sibling showing up at the hospital after an accident didn't strike me the least bit odd.
Flag
It was decent, but not good as the last episode from two/2 weeks ago. Slade rocks though with all those action scenes. Dang ending with another cliffhanger! Next episode looks OK, but it is him. :P
Flag
We need to send Root (Amy Acker) after Isabel (Summer Glau). Fight of the sci-fi babes. I would pay a dollar to see that.

Flag
I can't decided if "I get a bad vibe from this guy" is the best or worst easter egg they've put in the show. I feel like Cisco should have looked straight down the camera given a big wink and a thumbs up at that point.

I'm not entirely sure how to take Laurel keeping Ollie & Sara's secret. I understand Quentin not wanting to know who the Arrow is, but he knows that Sara does more than just work in a club and so he can help her even if it's just emotional support. But Laurel, pretending not to know what she does, isn't she forcing all of Team Arrow to keep a secret they don't have to? Also it means she's limiting Team Arrow's access to a potentially valuable resource, having an ADA they can call on would be useful.
Flag
I get why Thea is mad but really does knowing merlyn was her dad change anything about who she is now robert raised her as his own and she still got to be a billionaire with a good family lol no need to toss all your money away i do get moving out for a bit but all that stuff she was going on about is a bit much i swear the only women in this whole series that i like is felicity the part with the ski mask made me lol
Flag
Am I the only one who...
1. Really hoped Slade would have killed Laurel by now?
2. Thought that the best performances of this episode came from Quentin and Thea (I know, I can't believe I wrote that either)?
3. Actually felt sorry for Thea?
Flag
I really like this episode until Isabel said the "your father was my soul-mate" thing. Rolled my eyes and said to myself: "Really? She boils down to the ultimate woman scorned to justify her actions? Not for power or money or to destroy an enemy -- you know, the reasons most men would do the same thing.

Thought it was a little lazy and stereotypically sexist to define Isabel as mainly a heart-broken women who can't let go, and not the usual power hungry bad guys like Lex Luther.
Flag
This is stupid. Maybe you should be a little more patient because I'm sure more of her back story will be revealed. Slade is doing this because of a woman, why can't Isabel do this because of a man?
Flag
Not exactly. Slade is doing this because he's got a psychoactive drug running in his veins.
Flag
Arrow's Isabel's motivations are the same as the comic version of Isabel, they just had a bit more time to explain it there. Now, having said that Isabel's creator isn't what you'd call the best writer in world, he's written on four titles since the DCNU\New 52 reboot, three of the titles were outright cancelled the four he only wrote for 3 issues before being removed. If you stick close to the source material and the source material isn't that great then....
Flag
Thanks for explaining that point. Guess no writer had the balls to say: "Hey, isn't the scorned woman angle a little to 1980s?"
Flag
I disagree. She seems just as power-hungry as any guy.
"I'm under thirty and I run a Fortune 500 company."

Plus the part of having Oliver kicked loose from the Queen Consolidated building by security. That's some power-trippin', man.
Flag
And I loved that. It's just that the air of that great idea was stunk up by adding the old "woman scorned" cliche. I was more into her when she was simply power hungry.
Flag
She's power hungry. She thought she was going to get control of QC by putting Queen, Sr. under her thumb, but she failed at that. So she had to go to plan B, which took longer, so she's pissed about that. I don't see a "woman scored" cliche there.
Flag
Am I the only one who thinks that Malcolm Merlyn will come back in the last episode of the season to help Oliver against Slade?
Flag
Given that Malcolm does seem to care about Thea I am surprised that he did not come to her aid when Slade kidnapped her. Having him reveal himself in order to save Thea would be an interesting way to end the season and set up the next step in Thea's story.
Flag
You're definitely not the only one
Flag
Been reading Barrowman's twitter feed have we? :P
Flag
I thought about it all by myself....
I don't think that slade will die at the end of the season, but i'm pretty confident that Malcolm will sacrifice himself when he'll help Oliver.
Flag
A lot of plotholes but still a 10.
1. Thea needs to sign something to save your assets?
2. Who really needs a cure for Mirakuru He should just use High explosive arrows. Probably just to keep the creed no more killing. Arrow didn't even have high explosive or blow up the transfuser.

I was wondering about Roy when Thea and Oli were in Verdant I thought wait wheres Roy then it turns out Slade got him. Kind of stupid but I'm ok. I really didn't expect Slade to lie their weakened easy to kill.

Laurel is less annoying though I think she put two and two together and figured out Sarah's secret. I was right Officer Lance chooses not to know.

There seems to be a lot of namedrops for DC Characters Arthur Light. I'm not that deep in DC universe except in Batman and Superman so may be wrong was that Dr. Light? when the two tech people survived from SLade I said Flash guys? I was only 90% sure it was Danielle Panabaker.
Flag
@yutgg25: About them explosive tip arrows, they are arrows you know. Piling on a larger explosive charge is going to weigh the arrow down, he'd need a ballista to launch it :P

Those smaller explosives he's been using is as big as they are going to get. Any larger would not be an arrow. I'd say the only other way to kill Cyrus Gold is to shove a grenade down his throat, and Slade took two to the chest :o
Flag
The one thing I can comment on is #1. As one who used to be co-head of a family trust, I didn't need my entire family to sign off on anything I did. Only the other co-head. It was great when the rest of the family agreed, but their agreement was not a requirement.
Flag
Depends on how the trust is set up. For example, who is a trustee, and more important, under what circumstances can the trust be dissolved and the assets distributed?
Flag
That's all I am saying. a trust is not a democracy. And though it can be if everyone is involved, any decent lawyer would say you need someone at the head to make decisions to make it work.
Flag
No, it doesn't, and many trusts that involve a sizable corpus are rather intentionally designed to require multiple people to agree. I can't think of a reason why I'd allow a trust to be set up so that the trustees can decide to close out the trust, distribute the assets into a new trust, all without the consent of the beneficiaries.

"Sorry, Rich Family, but your family trust no longer contains any assets. All the assets were moved over to the unethical trustee retirement insurance trust. See? The trustees all signed off on the paperwork..."
Flag
Poor Thea if she found out Oliver is the Arrow as well – "I tried to kiss my half-brother before my real father killed him. And after that my real father was killed by my half brother! But before that my mother tried to kill half the city"
Flag
Wait till she finds out Merlyn is still alive.
Flag
I already love Caitlin Snow and Cisco Ramon! Can't wait for Flash! Also, this ep was amazing, it's a good time for comic series Shield was great this week as well! Yeah, I love Marvel and DC at the same time it's legal both got great IPS! :)
Flag
I don't really understand how Isobelle can just literally take all of their money and stock without them being able to do anything about it, except for having Thea sign something at the exact moment when she is in the outs with the family? The lawyer used the term "diluting the stock" which made no sense.
Flag
She can't, that's something that happened because the writers needed it to, and they're hoping nobody knows enough about how publicly-traded corporations work.

She CAN make it so they can't take over the company without spending a whole lot of money (a "shareholder protection plan", aka a "poison pill".) That doesn't take away their existing stock or other assets, however.

Now, since both Moira and Oliver are former CEO's of the company, they're considered "insiders" and they could have set up either an SEC or Justice Department investigation of insider trading, or the threat of one, to keep the Queens from being able to sell any of the QC stock, which potentially affects their ability to cash out, and she could kill the dividend on the stock, which might trigger a cash-flow crunch. But nobody's watching the show for thrilling boardroom maneuvering.
Flag
Hey I don't mind the boardroom stuff :P
Flag
You could make a good show out of it, but that show wouldn't be Arrow.
Flag
Another detail missed by the writers... apparently they don't know the difference between jail (where you go when you're awaiting trial) and prison (where you go if you're convicted of a felony.)

Flag
I hate it when the script calls for people to be conveniently dumb. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to tip off the cops, or better yet, the cops AND the press, where to find Slade's monster factory?

And what the heck was Dig thinking when he shot Isabel? How's that going to work out when the surveillance video comes out (Oliver's security man shooting the gal who ousted him as head of Queen Consolidated)?
Flag
I doubt there was a surveillance video. It seems unlikely Slade would feel the need to keep a lengthy video record of his criminal activities. And even if there was surveillance video, Dig was up away from where they were probably pointing.

As for how it would look if he did get caught on camera, well, I imagine it would look better than seeing the head of Queen Consolidated about to shoot a man in the back while she's surrounded by the unconscious criminals who were freed from captivity by the man she was earlier in the tape shown to be pretty chummy with, while at the same time another young man appears to be having his blood drained into said criminals.

And why would he tip off the cops? It's been shown dozens of time by now that Oliver feels personally responsible for all of this and that he believes he's the only one who can truly put an end to all of it. Not to mention that nearly everyone else who has gone up against Slade has ended up dead, meaning he'd just be sending the cops into a deathtrap, especially if they arrived AFTER the transfusion was complete. It would be completely out of character for him to call the cops.
More +
Flag
Even if it doesn't make sense for there to be a surveillance video, Deathstroke has been at least two steps ahead of Oliver all along. So he (and his team) need to assume that anything they do might just be part of the plan. (Like, say, signing over control of your company to give you time to fight. Oops.)

"I imagine it would look better than seeing the head of Queen Consolidated about to shoot a man in the back"
Perhaps they would edit that part out before turning it over to the cops, or the press.

"And why would he tip off the cops?"
Because A) he knows that he, himself, even with the aid of the entire Team Arrow, are no match for Deathstroke. When you can't win by yourself, you need allies. Also B) busload of escaped prisoners. Since Oliver is no longer willing to kill, someone needs to take these men into custody.
Flag
What surveillance video? And he's not going to send a bunch of cops to get slayed by Slade (PUNS).
Flag
The same kind of surveillance video that Slade has inside stately Queen manor, perhaps?
Flag
What would the cops be able to do to Deathstroke?

You really think Slade and Isabel put in a video surveillance system in their super-secret lab, creating evil super-soldiers (really just escaped convicts) to create an army of evil-doers?

That would be conveniently dumb.
Flag
"What would the cops be able to do to Deathstroke?"
The same thing Oliver intends to do. He thinks Deathstroke is going to be weakened by being in the machine, remember?

More significantly, they'd keep Deathstroke occupied thereby giving Oliver more opportunity to strike successfully. And, of course, there's the busload of hardened criminals to apprehend. Oliver didn't know they'd all be unconscious. How likely is he to succeed against Deathstroke if he has to use up all his arrows on the henchmen, first?

"You really think Slade and Isabel put in a video surveillance system in their super-secret lab ... That would be conveniently dumb."
When it's YOUR surveillane video, you get to decide which parts of it you give to other people. So you give the Starling City News the still photo of Oliver wearing the hood, and Oliver's security man trying to shoot the nice lady who pushed Oliver out of Queen Consolidated. Then you sit back and let Oliver deal with the majority of Starling City learning his secret, and stop worrying about Oliver ever being able to win back control of QC. Yeah, that's TOTALLY dumb, and not something either Deathstroke or Isabel would want.
More +
Flag
I think this episode did something the all show failed to accomplish so far: it made Laurel's character interesting and surprising. For the first time it felt like watching a character who isn't define by her love interest or by her weakness but on the contrary by her strength : her ruthlessness as a lawyer, her understanding and her compassion.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members