An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning Fall 2016)

Arrow S02E01: "City of Heroes"

Arrow was a surprise hit for The CW last year, drawing in solid ratings for both itself and Supernatural, and its success likely contributed the network's decision to go genre-heavy this season (which certainly had nothing to do with Cult). Indeed the idea to use Arrow to launch a show focused on The Flash is a sign of just how much confidence the network has in its young vigilante—though let's not discount Warner Bros. apparently getting its act together in an effort to better exploit its DC Comics properties (Wonder Woman notwithstanding).

Being a hit has granted Arrow some new privileges, mainly an influx of money for its production budget. As the summer wore on, there was plenty of news about new villains being added to the show, villains that will likely expand its scope in considerable ways. I won't lie and say all of these decisions have me that excited, because not all of them do. Some of that trepidation comes from the fact that Season 1 struggled to build a consistent and integrated world for Oliver to exist in, and I'm not entirely sure that expanding the universe is something it can manage without becoming super wobbly.

Certainly the final few episodes of last season showed what Arrow can do when it devotes itself entirely to its serialization, but as the rest of that season showed, the series experienced some difficulty in properly integrating its serialized stories with its episodic threads. For me, that'll be a key area for Arrow Season 2 to improve; I'm still looking for consistent characterization, including motivated changes in behavior, but I really want to see the show kick up its narrative balance.

It doesn't matter how successful "City of Heroes" was in that particular challenge, however, since its primary concern was rightfully to deal with the various fallouts of the Season 1 finale and to set up the new status quo. And apart from Thea running Verdant—I take it she's done with high school in some way?—I thought the episode was nicely completed both of those tasks.

Of the less consequential changes in the episode, Quentin was demoted from detective to beat cop and Laurel's now at the District Attorney's office. Quentin's demotion doesn't really concern me all that much, though I'll be interested to see how he interacts with costumed Oliver now, given the events of the finale. Laurel's move to the D.A.'s office makes more sense, as it was clear that the show didn't know what to do with C.N.R.I., but at least at the D.A.'s office, it'll make a bit more sense for her to be connected to the criminal activities of Starling City than it was last season, when it felt like the show was bending over backward to work her into peril. Plus, well, it never seemed like C.N.R.I. did a whole lot for the Glades.

Along the same lines as Laurel and her occupational shift, Thea being Verdant's manager also feels like a signal that the show just didn't know how to use Thea with Moira in prison and Oliver heading up the company. While it gives her and Roy something to do, I'm not exactly sure how vital it is, unless the villain of the week is always going to shoot up the club and kidnap Thea, which is a terrible idea. This, of course, gets to the question of how vital Thea is to the Arrow's overall narrative, and the answer to that question remains "Not very."

Which brings us to that gang of dislocated Glades residents posing as Hood variants, but with automatic weapons instead of bows and arrows. Their goals and their plights were an obvious echo of the Savior from Season 1, but they were just different enough that I think the repetition was purposeful on the show's part (as opposed to just laziness in coming up with a threat for the episode). Like the Savior and Helena, the faux-Hoods were doing an extreme version of Oliver's notion of saving Starling City, just without his "restraint" or "honor," as Diggle put it. So their actions, connected with the destruction of the Glades and Tommy's death, finally had Oliver questioning his methods. 

If you've been watching along with me since the start of Season 1, I imagine you can guess how happy this made me. Arrow's handling of justice versus vengeance and Oliver as a murderer was always fairly murky and half-baked, so the fact that it's using these situations to motivate Oliver to rethink this methodology and his mission is a good thing. Hopefully it'll eventually push beyond those discussions, and when or if Helena visits Starling City again, everyone will have themselves a decent chat about those differences without it feeling so tortured in its execution.

While I was frustrated with how the show handled talking about these issues during Season 1, I recognize the value in building it as a character arc, and having "City of Heroes" be the turning point for Oliver, and the start of new sense of duty to the city. It's a journey for Oliver, and while that journey has often been hazy for an audience, it's at least resulting in character development.

Changes as a costumed do-gooder weren't the only changes for Oliver, though. He assumed limited control of Queen Consolidated—as for how he did so, I have no idea, but whatever—while Isabel Rochev (Summer Glau) of Stellmoor International was primed to start a hostile takeover. Luckily for everyone, Walter (yay!) swooped in and saved the day, giving Oliver the money he needed to maintain half the controlling interest in the company, with Rochev holding the other half. Tense business meetings will undoubtedly commence.  In what is probably a controversial opinion on the internet, I don't really care much for Summer Glau when she has to act as something other than a robot, so I'm grinning and bearing her as Rochev.

For those who aren't familiar with the comics, Rochev is a character who did indeed assume control of Queen Industries, though she favored a mask and big red trenchcoat/dress outfit. I suspect that Arrow will change the character a bit due to her age and Glau's casting, enough that I have a theory about what's likely to happen with Rochev as the season progresses. However, I'm not going to share it here (or in the comments) just yet—it's potentially spoiler-y, especially since it's based on casting news from over the summer, and I know some folks prefer to avoid that sort of thing.

There are still island flashbacks, too! It's been five months since Oliver, Slade, and Shado destroyed Fyers' missile launcher, and there was a boat sending armed guys to look for graves on the island. Not a whole lot of note here beyond the fact that Oliver had some serious rage issues when one of those guys assaulted Shado. And by "serious rage issues," I mean he bashed the guy's face in with a rock. If dealing with those emotions will be the primary concern of the island flashbacks, I will be on board with that. I'll be less on board if Slade and Shado just pretend that it didn't happen.

FROM THE QUIVER

– Did anyone feel sort of lost during the opening, with Oliver back on Lian Yu and Diggle and Felicity tracking him down? I thought the episode handled it well, but it was one of those instances where reading the Arrow digital comic—which showed Oliver giving his partners big bags of money and leaving Starling City after the events of the season finale—helped smooth out potential wrinkles for me.

– Felicity, those just did not seem like the proper shoes for traipsing around the forest of an island located in the North China Sea. Just saying.

– "You're really sweaty."

– I'm going to treat the mention of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator as a potential Flash origin seed.

– "Just FYI: No one is eating the bagels." 

– The new and improved Arrow Cave echoes Fox News' new News Deck with that big honkin' screen.

– "I kept that. I liked watching you do that."

– Oh, hey, we got our first look at Black Canary at the end of the episode! I think Roy may be in love. Also: It's clear that Roy is useless in a fight if he doesn't have something to parkour with.

– On the comic book connection front, there were a few things in this episode that caught my eye. One was the appearance of Bethany Snow, the Channel 52 news anchor. Snow's a reporter in the comics as well, and is currently featured in the Channel 52 back-up feature that appears at the end of any DC title. She had a connection to a villain from the comics prior to the New 52 launch, but I'll leave that for later, should it crop up on the show. The bigger bit of news is that last week the Green Arrow comic introduced Diggle to the DC Universe in issue #24! There will be differences, but the Comic Book Diggle is supposed to remain roughly the same, personality- and backstory-wise, as the TV Diggle we've come to know.

– I'm on vacation this week, but I'll still try to drop in to discuss the episode with you all in the comments. I hated that I missed talking about the finale with everyone, but I moved a couple days after it aired and I was so consumed with packing and unpacking and waiting for the cable and internet installation that I didn't get around to even reading the comments until a week and half later.

Did you miss Arrow? Glad it's back? What'd you think of the Season 2 premiere?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

244 Comments
Comments (244)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Give up on this show now. All this there is another way crap. Is this show now for 12 year olds be better on in the morning next to pier rangers at this rate
Flag
this show is far from crap and 12 years should not be watching!!!
Flag
This was pretty good. I'm surprised since I found the first season to be mediocre.
Also, after not watching the show for a few months I realized just how many better-than-life looking actors they have on their cast. This is too much guys. Which one of them isn't plastered on some teenager's (adult's?) wall? Then again, there's rarely an ugly comic book character.
Flag
Am I the only one who saw the stunt double of Roy in the club scene?

Flag
lol great catch indeed!! ;)
Flag
Was poor stint double. Why could he not have done his own stunt was hardly big action
Flag
You made me look :) .... Great catch....
Flag
These reviews are excellent, have a lot of insightful comments that relate to the comics and that I am very happy to read about.

BUT

I have no clue about these comics. So I don't know who Black Canary is, sorry about that. There is only a tiny reference about it like it is not surprising to anyone, in the final notes of the review. I have to assume is that lady that showed up at the end, in the middle of Roy's fight. I have to guess that it is a known character in the Arrow comics that I should have known about before watching this episode. No worries, I'm an old internet girl, I know I can look up anything I want and get answers. This is not a complaint. Just a point of view of a reader, in case it helps value the general knowledge of the visitors population. And in case you didn't have a clue neither, so you know that it is ok :)
Flag
  • The moment they begin focusing on Oliver and his wrestling with his demons and the fine line between vengeance and justice, I thought of Noel. :) I sort of rolled my eyes a bit over him finally stopping to really think about all of this only after Tommy died. All the doing it to honor Tommy bit felt a little too heavy-handed and in some ways didn't make matters all that better because...it took Tommy dying for him to see that? But eh. It was still something that needed to be addressed. I especially liked the scene he had with Offercer Lance after he caught the vigilantes he inspired.
  • Soooo Thea is running the club. It's funny, becuase I was thinking that she was like sixteen or something, so that one threw me. As did the fact that Oliver sort of left her while their mom was in prison. But I'm assuming she's old enough to run and tend a bar which makes her 19? Thea continues to be an terribly inconsistent and for the most part pointless character. They would have been better off if she took a trip to Europe or something, just to get away.
  • Still not a Laurel fan. She's a tad more useful than Thea, but not as much to me. She still doesn't even feel like a believable love interest to me. She's just...there. Whenever it is convenient for her to be there. I guess the move to the D.A's office gives her some way to be involved. Personally, if you have to keep jumping through hoops and stretching far and wide to write for a character they probably shoudn't be in there.
  • I wasn't as jarred by Diggle and Felicity traipising through the island looking for Oliver.
  • I like the new Arrow cave.
  • I love Felicity. She is just the best. I love that she seems unapologetic about her lack of a filter now. She still rambles and everything but she seems more confident than she was last season. She's more vocal and doesn't come across as meek and awkward, but she's still...her. So it all works.
  • Summer Glau didn't do it for me.
  • Flashbacks were interesting, only because of the relationship between Oliver and Shado and of course the whole bashing a guy's head in and all.
  • I know it's against the rules to not adore Colton Hayes all of the time, but Roy stuff always feels like episode filler with no direction.
  • I continue to love and appreciate the way they address class and economic warfare on this show.
More+
Flag
Hey Noel! First time reading ur reviews and I am hooked! Love how passionate u are. I have been living with a rare disease since I was that goes thru stages of good and bad and when I first got it I was 8 and it was bad so I couldn't go outside all summer so my Mom was at a garage sale and bought this box of comic books and brought them home. It was a box no joke full of Green Arrow comic books. It had all the Longbow Hunters and the entire series 1 thru 100 of Mike Grells sequel series. They were the first comics I ever read in my life so I have been a Green Arrow fan since and Im now 25. I hold this character very close to my heart so you have no idea how much I love this show for making him as badass as he is in the comics.
I wanted ur opinion on Stephen Amells comments about episode 202 coming up this week....he said its the BEST episode of the entire series thus far. Do you agree with this since you have seen a advanced copy? Thank you again for being epic and reviewing this show so amazingly.
Dustin Wood
More+
Flag
Staff
I wouldn't say "best" but it's probably one of the show's strongest episodes so far.
Flag
awesome! Thanks for writing back! So in ur opinion what is the best episode thus far if this one doesn't do it for u?
Flag
A surprisingly strong start to the season. Feels like Arrow has numerous interesting places to go.

I liked the opening on (and over) Lian Yu. Diggle and Felicity are just so much fun to watch, especially when joined by Oliver. Narrative-wise, it made sense for Oliver to retreat back to his shelter, his cocoon. The island allowed him to be reborn back then and shaped the man that he is, so the island has become a sort of unofficial home. That's the best place he could go to after his perceived failures.
I'll admit that the scene where Felicity stepped on an old land mine had me rolling my eyes. Yet another show playing that card, and yet another show would be surely wasting time on the other character (Diggle) digging a sensitive part out and disarming the mine. But lo and behold, Arrow played with my expectations. Instead of going for the same old beat theme, we had Oliver swooping down for the rescue. That's one way to disarm a mine. How fitting.

While I could initially believe in Oliver wanting nothing to do with The Hood, his ongoing denial became akin to that of a spoiled brat, consequently turning into quite an annoyance. But at least they didn't let it drag on for several episodes. Giving the Queen part of his life more to do seems like a good move to balance the scales. Now he has the chance to become a major player in more than one way (and any reason to have Walter appear is just fine with me).

Arrow also attempted a more mature way of dealing with the supposed issues of "body count" and "mass murdering". By admitting it and talking about it, for starters. And the treatment of such was more than just superficial. Oliver made a valid point for the much needed "kill or be killed" attitude when out on the hunt, Felicity made another with the "don't always have to kill", among other things (admittedly I liked the "what do you care" the most). So perhaps this will allow Mr. Queen more choices going forward (admittedly he didn't always try to kill before that, just didn't try as much not to).
What I hope doesn't happen, however, is turning Oliver and Arrow into a mushy version of Clark Kent who always attempts to take the moral high ground and blah blah blah. What made the series so interesting is that it understood that sometimes there is a justification for taking another's life. It doesn't mean that every time Oliver killed someone it was completely necessary (rest in peace, droves of nameless hired guys), but it means that in several cases there's been a reason. More or less questionable, perhaps, but a reason nonetheless. What the show could do is to better emphasize such reasons.
In any case, I just hope that Arrow doesn't take a sudden 360 degrees turn and make Oliver a hero who keeps locking villains who in turn escape, kill some civilians, get captured and locked again, then escape again to commit more murders, etc. That would be so horribly awful. I'd rather have it deeper explore the non-black&white hues.

If there is anything that currently worries me, it's elevating deceased Tommy to that of a saint. The assumption is being made that since Tommy called Oliver a "murderer", it means that he must've been oh so right. Because he knew how it was like and had to face what his friend had to face, right? And they all "betrayed" poor little Tommy, not at all because he acted like a jealous coward who eventually ran off to his not-so-perfect daddy.
For the record - I liked Tommy, despite his inconsistent characterization. I was sad to see him go. But he was only around for the first season, and he has been shown to be full of shit quite a few times (coupled with demonstrating reedeming qualities the other times). I just don't want him to become a patron for Oliver's actions, of all people. That Tommy would be the one to facilitate a huge change is somehow offensive. It makes me wince that it could all be done now just to honor Tommy's memory, with Oliver spouting such horrible beliefs, that every kill would seemingly disgrace his dead friend. Just... no.
Oliver really needs to stand on his own and not see himself only through the eyes of another seriously flawed individual. If Tommy casts too long of a shadow, I can see it quickly becoming tiresome.

Some other things of note:
* I don't care much for Summer Glau, but she played her part well. We'll see where it goes.
* Thea still has mommy issues. Forever and ever. And now runs a club. Ooookay. To her defense, she did seem a little more mature there. At least for a little while.
* I think Laurel was in this episode, and wasn't even annoying much. She and Oliver broke up, may it stay so forever.
* The beginning of Moira's redemption?
* I don't mind Roy, though he obviously has a long way to go.
* Diggle needs more screen time.
* Felicity needs more screen time. Luckily she still gets to have amusing lines. Plus is the best girl Ollie could find.
* Oliver could certainly use a more modern take on his costume. Like, don't parade your face around so much.

I've also noticed that there was some case of the week with some copycats. It was okay-ish, if nothing special. Made sense in the aftermath of partial Glades destruction. And they even survived.

And of course, I loved my island flashbacks. Good fighting practice between Oliver and Slade, new enemies on the soil. Ollie and Shado make a cute pair, but man, does he have some serious rage issues. She better avoid taking on another boyfriend for the time being.

Finally, it's good to have Noel's reviews back. I am grateful as always for the few juicy comic bits and some interesting notes. I've never been on board with that justice/vengeance obsession, nor did I think the show was as hazy or fumbled as much, so I guess this is where we still won't see eye to eye. At least Noel didn't hate on island flashbacks! ;)
More+
Flag
All in all a solid season premiere. However I got a bad vibe from it. The fact that Oliver got a conscience because of Tommys death seems like the show wants to go pc. I hate shows that go pc for the the sake of pc. It's not that it doesn't make sense or is in tune with the comic but I don't want it to be a feel good show, I want it to retain the dark overtone the first season had.

Flag
Come on, Summer's train cameo on The Big Bang Theory and being creeped out by the guys ;) I want to see where this show will take Ms Glau
Flag
Kudos to Noel for actually having read the comics and holding the show up against it. It's very interesting and informative and insightful.

Flag
while I enjoyed having Arrow back on my tv I have to say this was just one long pity me party by most of the main characters. The only pity me parade that wasn't annoying was Felicity and having to jump out of a plane, I wouldn't either. Having said that what was the point in going back to the island? Not the flash backs, I mean present day Oliver and having Diggle and Flick chase out there after him? What purpose did it serve (beyond Mr Amel flashing those abs)? Lots of moping around done and none of it good, the highlight was Miss B#tch in red coming to take over the company. She is a feisty one and could be a good foil to Oliver Queen.
Flag
Did anyone else catch the reference 'buried alive' in Thea's comment to Roy? ( http://www.comics.org/issue/367093/ )

Just me?

:-)
Flag
I'm assuming that those who don't understand so many's love of Summer probably didn't watch Whedon's "Firefly". She has a unique presence and energy that few beautiful actresses have. I loved her scenes with Oliver. Finally, a woman willing to push him completely out of his comfort zone. I am extremely excited to see what they have in store for her.

I loved the premiere except for the Laurel bits and the island bits. Neither ever interest me. Felicity, of course, is always adored. Oliver only really smiles with her.

Thea is necessary because all super heroes starting off need that family connection to stay grounded. She is what prompted him to pick back up his hood. Clark had his family. Buffy had her mom and then her sister. Peter Parker his aunt and uncle. She may never be a main character, but I like her. She's rebellious without being too annoying. The actress is appealing. Oliver has suffered a lot. He needs his sister. It's bad enough they killed off poor TOmmy.

I'm excited for the season!
Flag
Staff
Totally watched Firefly. Sorry to ruin your theory.
Flag
Fantastic series, second season premier offers a great opening to what I hope will be great season. I really love the scenes with Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. They keep me coming Back. Stephen Amell is amazing.
Flag
Oliver's "fairly murky and half-baked" ethics were the only thing that was stopping the show from devolving into a placid, predictable mass of pure cliche. This isn't the Silver Age and the target demographic isn't in elementary school, so what's wrong with an attempt at nuance? Frankly, I'm astonished that anyone (let alone a critic like Mr. Kirkpatrick) would actually be happy to see writers resort to the usual, tired, old, intellectually lazy, black-and-white pacifism that's been stifling thought and creativity since its creation by the same forces and time period that brought us Leave it to Beaver and McCarthyism.
Flag
Staff
My problem wasn't that the show had Oliver as a vigilante, or that he murdered people, but that the show's attempt to parse out the differences between justice and revenge is murky and half-baked. Other character's arguments with him, both directly and and indirectly through their methods never delivered anything interesting, commentary-wise. There's nothing wrong with attempting to be nuanced but there is a problem when that attempt at nuance pretty much fails.
Flag
Yeah, it was pretty much pure fail as an ethical exercise, but it was still an effective dramatic tool. It made Oliver darker, less predictable, and more interesting. There was a sense (even if it was a false one) that he was riding the edge of the moral event horizon and might fall off at any moment.

IMO, it certainly could've been handled better (a lot better), but it was still infinitely better than them not even trying, IMO.
Flag
Well put. And very eloquently so. I really hope that the show retains some of its "grey areas" and won't attempt to totally change Oliver, all in the name of Tommy (ugh).

These odd notions of mercy or pacifism at all cost and despite everything is what stumped me even as a kid. There I was reading all these comics, some really captivating stories. And yet I remember constantly wondering why would Spiderman only ever attempt to separate Cletus Kasady and his symbiote, with consequent jailbreaks occuring and many more victims being added to the track record. Why would Superman always be so meek. Why even Batman often suffered from being held in check against all logic and character/action development.

Purist and conservative US at its worst, I suppose. Many proponents of which apparently never had to make any morally dubious choices or could put themselves in somebody else's shoes.
Flag
Actually, the "death = evil" idea is more common among liberals than conservatives, so far as I can tell. That's certainly true in the USA, as capital punishment and laxer self-defense/gun-control laws are traditionally a part of the Republican platform.

However, there's a stronger correlation with urbanization than with politics. City-dwellers are usually less tolerant of the use of lethal force than rural folk.

However, let's not get too far off-topic. We're supposed to be discussing the artistic and entertainment value of Arrow, not comparative ethics. :)
Flag
Black Canary yeah! Arrow is back and not called the Hood, yeah! Laurel and Felicty looking hot, yeah! Summer Glau yeah!
Flag
The hood back..!! Still poor Tommy....
Laurel looked awesome with her red dress....
Like the new place Felicity has arranged for Ollie...
Can't wait till Rory get training of the hood or become one himself...
For first episode it was great!!
Flag
I have to say I absolutely LOVED the premiere! So many times after a good season 1 and a massive finale, the premiere of the next season is just not as big to stand up to what it's following. But in my humble opinion it did the job perfectly. I cannot wait to see what Season 2 has in store for us. I'm ready to see how Oliver will deal with the fallout of all that's happened in S1 and how he will deal with his own feelings and how they've changed. I love Felicity. She is so awesome! Roy needs a teacher, stat! He's too pretty to be constantly beaten up. But glad to see even he has had some character growth between S1 and now. I don't know the comics, so I'm a blank slate and I am thoroughly enjoying having that blank slate filled up.
Flag
If I'm right but not 100% sure I think Oliver trains him and he becomes speedy of something like that. I know that Roy becomes some kind of hero
Flag
Yes, I know that's what they've been saying. Now it just has to happen. *eagerly awaiting sweaty shirtless training sessions between Ollie and Roy*
Flag
Good to have Arrow back!!! I need to to get me one of those bows
Flag
Pretty good opener that served to remind me how much I adore Felicity. It would be half the show it is without her remarks and lack of a brain to mouth filter.
Flag
Staff
Wait until next week. Just...wait until next week. :)
Flag
Screw Laurel I never liked her.

I love Felicity!!!!!
Flag
Do us a favor and just shut up.

So sick of those Felicity fans making it the Felicity/Olicity Vs. Laurel/Lauriver show. I rarely see a Laurel fan doing this. Are you guys threatened or something? The fact that the Olicity bond will strengthen this season, doesn't mean Olicity will be the love story in Arrow. The three showrunners all seem to realize that is just not possible. The Green Arrow and Black Canary are meant to be together, it's written in the stars (or comics, as you may). And it's all pretty clear that Laurel will eventually become the Black Canary this season.

FYI: I absolutely adore Felicity.

Flag
Whoa whoa, back up dont tell me to shut up.
I can tell you are annoyed but taking it out on me is a little nuts. I was not referring to the relationship aspects, I meant the whole Laurel wants to get rid of The Hood and Felicity is updating his equipment! I love Felicity the same way I love Dig and Roy because they are fans of The Hood and I now like her dad because he is becoming more pro-hood by the minute. I used to like Laurel because she had this whole hero-worship thing for the Hood but now she blames the hood for Tommy when she was told to not go to the Glades and Tommy went there to protect her. I am a little angry at Laurel because I thought she was pro-vigilante but now she is not and I suppose it is to raise the personal stakes for when she finds out Oliver is the hood or Green Arrow, but I liked her shy little smiles when she knew that the Hood would save her.
Flag
You said you never liked her, and then you said you love Felicity so I presumed you didn't like her because of Felicity. A lot of Felicity fans hate on Laurel, but I don't get why. I love them both. I apologize for my aggressive reaction.

Laurel being against The Hood is, of course, totally bullshit. I don't know why the producers did this, but I don't think it will last long. I think Laurel just needs to grieve and Katie Cassidy hinted with her tweet "And we can't go back. Yet. Just wait." that Laurel & Oliver will probably get back together this season. I think Laurel may find out about Oliver's secret this season, changing her mind to being pro-Hood (they could also do this in another way). But at the end, when Laurel is pro-Hood again, I think they are going to start her transformation to the Black Canary. Then Laurel can finally become a really essential part to the series.
Flag
I'm sorry, I thought people knew because it was said at the 2012 Comic Con.

Andrew Kreisberg has hinted repeatedly that Laurel will eventually become the final Black Canary. Which makes sense, because Oliver was not the first Green Arrow, Jal Fae was (Kreisbergs' explanation). But for now, the Black Canary is Laurel's sister, back from the dead, Sara.

Again, I'm sorry.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Flag
At the beginning, I was 1/2-way pro Laurel, but as the eps went on I found her becoming more & more nothing but a useless bit of overmade eye candy. It would be nice if she eventually becomes useful, & having her become the Black Canary would go a long way towards that.

but I have a theory: (read at your own risk...I'm not kidding)

**Actually, I don't have a theory...BC is already cast & played by Caity Lotz, starting with her cameo in this premiere**
Flag
Also, no manor shots this episode. They kind of set it up so that there's really no reason to be there anymore: Thea is gone, Moira is gone, Oliver just has it as a place to hang his hat. Budget cuts?
Flag
Staff
Budget priorities rather than cuts. Their budget was increased a sizable bit according to Guggenheim, but keeping standing sets means prioritizing where scenes occur. Guessing they opted for the club and Queen Consolidated offices in addition to the revamped Arrow Cave.
Flag
Well, they also dumped the CNRI office, another standing set. And presumably we won't have much of a police station set now that Quentin is no longer a detective.
Flag
CNRI might have gone but they will be needing the DA's office. Also I don't imagine Quentin will be in uniform for that long, I can see him becoming the Hood's unofficial Police liasion and getting his shield back.
Flag
The DA's office would be a new set, one we didn't see this episode. As for Quentin, I'd give him at least a half-season as a beat cop.
Flag
Me too! I don't get the fascination with Summer Glau either. Laurel seemed less annoying than usual in this episode and I loved the coral dress she was wearing. I want to talk more about Black Canary but I don't know if it would be spoiler-y so I will digress. I am confused as to how the club is still up and running since it was located in the Glades. Weird.
Other than the minor plot-holes it was a pretty good start to the season. And I agree Thea seems extraneous it would probably be best to send her off to "college"
Flag
In the season finale, they managed to disable one device. Felicity later stated that the damaged seemed to be contained on the East side, so the club probably was not on the East side.
Flag
How about non-spoiler injokes? Like Sarah must have stopped by Bludhaven on her way back to Starling City to borrow Dick Grayson's weaponry. Or at least ran by Walmart to pick up one of those kitschy tweet-tweet Christmas ornaments for her exit. And speaking of Christmas, courtesy of Bethany Snow, we all know that the midseason finale will be here in a Flash.

But ooh-la-la, BC's fighting style seems vaguely remniscent of the first island flashback of the night. Maybe Slade and Oliver eventually have a falling out over Oliver's romance with Shado, so Slade ironically finds Sarah and trains her (in more ways than one) to one-up Oliver. Remember, the Deathstroke mask was again featured prominently in the opening, and while they killed Billy Wintergreen in Season One, nothing says that the mask is necessarily his. And Slade in the DCU is hardly a reliable ally (when he's not a villain).
Flag
So... how'd they get off the island?

If the plane was amphibious, why not just have it land instead of parachuting down?
Flag
Probably because Dig didn't trust the pilot's landing ability, or the pilot was superstitious about getting too close to Purgatory, or Dig didn't want Felicity's lunch all over the inside of the plane and himself. Or all of the above. :)
Flag
But if the pilot was superstitious about getting too close, how would he get to close to pick them up?

I suppose Oliver had a plane tucked away somewhere, since he got there. Do we know he knows how to fly a plane?
Flag
I just felt that we needed to add yachts to the mix, knowing Oliver's fondness of them. ;)

On a more serious note - you make valid points, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver was able to pilot something. Although I can't imagine he would undertake any such courses while being The Hood. So it would have to be earlier.

Naturally, I also wouldn't be surprised if such "tiny detail" escaped the attention of the writers.

P.S. The reply system on TV.com becomes truly horrible and inconsequential once past certain threshold.
Flag
Perhaps he had a... yacht.
Flag
ROFL Gislef!

C'mon, this is the DCU. When all else fails, Clark did it. :)
Flag
Yachts take a while to get anywhere. There's not really any sense of long-passing time between them talking on the island and driving through Starling City. Plus the implication is that Oliver has to get back quick to stop the takeover.

And I'd think that Oliver has had enough of yachts in any case... ;)
Flag
Flag
That's what I was wondering!
Flag
The amount of plotholes in this script baffle me. And the acting? Don't even get me started. Also, Katie Cassidy is one of the worst actresses I've seen on by far! To be honest, this show seems to have been made for the masses (i.e girls who miss their gossip girl/90210) and to a comic book fan, this is extremely unsatisfying. I had high hopes for this show when it started but it kept worsening and unfortuntely hasn't recovered in season 2 :(
Flag
finally some one said it ! couldnt agree more , while i was watching this episode i was laughing because its was so so silly.I was really hoping the show will improve in s2..
Flag
Yes, Stephen Amell's acting is ALWAYS cringeworthy. As for Katie, she was just terrible in this episode, not sure what happened. She was pretty amazing in Supernatural, great acting in there, not so much on "Arrow".
Flag
Flag
I liked the episode. I think it was a good start for the upcoming season. However i don't like Oliver's new bow. Felicity was great as usual. I did like that Oliver has a new motivation for being the hood, i just don't like what this motivation is. Being the person Tommy hoped he would be. That's just cheesy and apart from that not even true. The flashbacks were a great part of season one, sometimes the better part of the episode and while i don't mind them right now, i hope they will stop with season 3. I'm not sure we need them anymore to understand Oliver as a charcter and it would give the writers more time to focus on the ever expanding league of heroes and villains in Starling City. So, I'd like to bring this story to a satisfying end. Discovering how Oliver made it of the island and what happend to Slade and all the others, but once this is done i would like to set my eye on the future, not the past
Flag
err..it was a good episode, but i have certain problems.

Like Oliver leaving Thea alone to go camping
How did they renovate the cave without Thea noticing
How is the club still thriving, isnt it in the Glades..the area of an earthquake
The Hoods attacking people raising money which is supposed to go to the Glades
No news on rebuilding the damaged areas yet

i know a few of these questions will probably be answered in due course
Flag
For me, there was that scene with Oliver and Felicity jumping through windows and falling over a lot of broken glass without getting a scratch. I guess the answer is: comic magic!
Flag
To be fair Malcolm only flattened half of the Glades, so the club must in the non-flattened half
Flag
I don't know how much the Flash will fit in this world with all the regular human heros.They should have the Flash spin off after Smallville
Flag
I was also concerned when I heard about that plan, I think maybe they'll take a cue from the 1990 TV show and fix it so that he burns so many calories when moving at super speed that his powers are severely limited, etc.
Flag
How can Laurel blame The Hood for Tommy's death when SHE was the one who didn't leave the Glades after being warned TWICE!
Flag
There's a cut scene from the season 1 finale on YouTube, explaining why Laurel stayed in the Glades. She wanted to get all the files out of the CNRI building, so that the people would not lose their only hope.

I don't know why they cut this particular scene, since it seriously takes a lot away from Laurel, but it changes a lot.
Flag
Be that as it may it's still HER fault Tommy went there and died, not The Hood's.
Flag
WHERE IS THE ACTUAL EPISODE????!!!!!??????!!!!
Flag
What kind of asshole brother, leaves his sister alone in a situation like this? Sorry but scumbag
Flag
D00d, cut the guy some slack. Oliver had a raging case of PTSD before his best friend died right in front of him, his mom went to jail, and he failed at the task he'd thought of as his reason for existing. IRL, people who go through that much crap are usually so screwed up they can't take care of themselves, let alone provide moral support for someone else.
Flag
Im so happy that this show is back.... :) good premiere. i for one think this show is better than marvel shield which comes across as cheesy and some of the special affect are awful.
Flag
Good start! I liked that there were more Felicity / Oliver scenes...Crazy good ones as usual... I can't believe this girl stole the lead. If I never see Laurel again it will be too soon. The flashbacks are getting boring for me is there a chance to move Slade into the future and leave the past in the past?
Flag
FYI: Emily Bett Rickards stole nothing. Katie Cassidy is still credited right after Stephen Amell, her role will grow this season and her paycheck is probably a lot bigger than that of Emily
Flag
To me, the first thing this season has to deal with is the crappiness that is the main character's schtick. Ollie's outfit is not dynamic, it's a horrible disguise, he is looking his attacker in the face while saving him and that green makeup is the only thing keeping the attacker from recognizing his orginal prey: Oliver Queen. Domino masks may be kinda doofy, but they're more semi-believable as a disguise compared to greenface. Also, Ollie's archery and related skills really need to be expressed in a more interesting fashion, his hunting and stalking still don't come through. He's going through changes in many ways, I hope one of those is making him more interesting to watch and believe.

"City of Heroes" was a terrible name for this episode, this was a city of rampant vigilantes secretly serving at Brother Blood's gain (and wow was that thread subtle in this episode, like "Biggs Darklighter left on the cutting room floor" subtle). I was expecting with a title and description of this episode to see vigilantes at least pretending to be heroic, but this was mass murder start to finish, no subtlety at all very little in the way of heroics from anyone. Roy still sucks at being heroic, Ollie is riffing on Batman moves (that arrow to the sky and zipping off was so silly) but barely doing anything, the vigilantes are just murderers, we got a scant glimpse at what Black Canary is doing here, and Quentin Lance didn't do anything heroic as a beat cop. This was all preamble for the concept of a city of heroes.

Your analysis in this review is spot on, CNRI never worked at all, so the DA's office makes a lot more sense. Thea may still be a kid but at least she has a purpose - although she's really only there now to tie Roy to Ollie, which is a shame because she had a lot of promise as a character last season. Addressing the rampant "don't murder while I'm murdering" hero thing is vital. Summer Glau kinda sucks when she's not 'weird girl on Firefly or robot on Terminator: TSCC' and her performance here was pretty much eyeroll-worthy the whole way.

Oh, and Laurel looks even weirder than ever. Just let her go to the actress' natural blond, the brunette look doesn't fit her face at all now, it's really bizarre.

*POTENTIAL SPOILER THOUGHTS* (I'll green-font and green-bg this out for those who don't want to read spoilery stuff... for now, so highlight to read)
=== As for Rochev, I didn't get any sense of "The Queen" from her in this episode, there wasn't much setup, but that didn't really bother me. The timeline could still make her work with Ollie's dad instead of his son though. (Yeah, I'm going there.) ===

*To The Quiver*
- No, the opening was fairly clear on Lian Yu, it seemed like a natural extension of the season finale. Giving away his money in the digital companion story actually makes far less sense though.
- The bagels line was pretty good, clever and funny.
- Fox News' new deck seems like they shrunk a bunch of interns to work on iphones. The new Arrowcave didn't really look all that special by comparison, looked like the old one with different lighting and a new salmon ladder.
- Roy is useless, period. Roy still sucks.
- Have fun on vacation!
More+
Flag
Staff
I didn't even think of doing that same font/background! Excellent idea.

Here's my Rochev theory: She's Lady Shiva.

Reply in non-spoilery ways if you feel you should.
Flag
Aw yeah, now you're talking. That'd be a heck of a twist but the timing with a certainly little bird coming up would fit not too shabbily.
Flag
Staff
Along with some other stuff that they've announced casting for and...yeah.
Flag
Hopefully they deliver then, this show still clings to its potential.
Flag
Very strong season premiere. Show did look back on what they did and I am glad,they did. There were questions,if Ollie kills bad guys or not and in this episode it was made clear(as was in some episodes,that he killed some of them ) he was killing those minor bad guys.
Only thing I have still problem with is Laurel. Of course she is sleeping with her new boss or she will be very soon,but my money is on that she is. She wasn't annoying as usual,but season is still young. And I love your sentence about CNRI...what did she do there?!!?!? :D

What did they do to Felicity!?!?!? They put more make-up on her,shorter skirt and let her hair down. She was much sexier before,I don't want her becoming like Laurel!
Flag
It seems to be an epidemic with the makeup and dressing up of characters...what was I watching when I though..WTF did they do to these people? Oh yeah Scandal. 2 of Olivia Pope's employees where all of a sudden made up like I dunno what! So much that it was noticeable. They were normal people last season but now they either need to be on a cat walk or on a street corner. Same person must have been working on Captain Hooks cheeks on OUAT too.
Flag
I hadn't realized how much I had missed Arrow until he saved a "very blond IT chick" LOL! I guess some might be shipping them as hell, but so far I feel he treats her like a sister.

– "You're really sweaty." And I immediately thought: "Puke breath"

Nice flashbacks on the island! Yes. I agree Noel, I hope they enlighten us on how the training took care of most of his rage...
Flag
Great start to the season. Not only did it do a good job of dealing with the aftermath of the season 1 finale, it also did a lot to push the series in the direction it desperately needed to go IMO. Like you, I wasn't really a fan of how they handled Oliver's morals vs. those of the different villains on the show, so I was very relieved to hear Oliver comment on that, saying that his actions weren't that pure in season 1, and he needed to change in order to become the hero he really wants/needs to be. And it's largely because of this change in his character that I was able to enjoy the story of the Hoods as much as I did, since they represented the darkness of his past, and what he needed to overcome in order to put the past behind him. Admittedly a big heavy-handed as far as symbolism goes, but enjoyable none the less.

I also like the fact that they're having Oliver get more involved in his family's business. For one thing, it allows Oliver to act more maturely in public, and less like a playboy like he was in season 1. Plus it opens more possible stories with the upper-class business world. And, while I'm on the subject of the business, I'm so glad they brought Walter back. I just hope they do more with him this season.

The Roy story does have promise as well. I liked that he tried filling in the hole that Oliver left when he went back to the island. I am looking forward to seeing Oliver's reaction when he finds out what Roy has been doing, and how well their characters will work together whenever they work together.

I haven't really formed much of an opinion on some of the other changes. I'll have to see how they play out during the season. And of course, one episode doesn't necessarily show how good the whole season will be. Hopefully they'll be able to keep going strong, and the show's new changes take this series to the next level.
More+
Flag
This episode was great. So the lady that Roy saw was Black Canary? I thought it was China White, which prob doesn't make sense. My guess is that if it was BC then she might teach Roy how to properly fight better at some point.

I think Thea does add to the Roy Harper narrative, she is his girlfriend. I predict season 3 we will see Red Arrow offically in costume and everything
Flag
I enjoy that we are getting away from the 'dark vigilante' and more towards the hero he is supposed to be. That he's finally starting to recognize the body count he was racking up and looking at himself and his motives and methods is a good turning point to start the season on.

I really enjoyed the fact that Walter returned (I figured that would be the case when he needed some funding, and his former step-father happened to be the chief financial officer of Queen), and I hope he sticks around the show for more than a couple board meetings.

I also very much enjoyed Thea a lot more this episode. I would definitely prefer seeing her grow up a bit more and take some responsibility, which seems to be the case here. Less whiny bitch-face, more being a person. Thank you.

Nothing really to say about the flashbacks, other than I'm psyched that Manu Bennett is going to be a series regular this season - Long Live the Undefeated Gaul! Err, I mean, hooray for Slade.
Flag
Crixus is awesome and glad he is getting more work on tv and movies.....same would of happened for the very talented andy whitfield.. r.i.p to him
Flag
Man, why did you have to go and mention Andy? *tries not to cry* *does cry*
Flag
It was just an ok premier for me. I liked it but it wasn't great. I guess now Ollie is gonna be like Batman in that he refuses to kill. That could make for some great emotional conflict or it could get tiring quickly. Will have to wait and see.
I'm kinda getting tired of the island flashbacks. I wish they'd just have one or two episodes of nothing but the island so we can get caught up. Live in the now Arrow!!
I'm with you Noel. I'm not a huge fan of Summer Glau and, while it's not totally her fault I'm sure, the shows that she is on tend to not last very long (Firefly, Terminator, Alphas, etc...) I hope her streak doesn't continue cause I'm not ready to say goodbye to Arrow just yet.
Oh welcome back Felicity! God have I missed you. Looks like they're gonna have her be a little more sexy this year and I can't complain about that. lol
I did really like the ending. Instead of saying "The Green Arrow", they just focused on the arrow then faded out. That was pretty cool.
Like I said, not a great premier for me but it did give a good re-introduction to the universe and laid out some interesting threads for the new year.
More+
Flag
I liked the episode. However, I took issue with something Laurel said to Oliver:
"He got caught in the crossfire between two archers!"
No, Tommy was caught in the crossfire between you and falling debris from the earthquake his dad caused. The Hood was trying to stop all of that from occurring in the first place. Talk about misplaced blame.
Flag
I think she meant metaphorically. She was ruminating on the fact that Star City didn't have crazy supervillain behavior until Green Arrow appeared. It's the classic question of whether Batman's presence created supervillains in Gotham or whether his presence is merely a response to the escalation of villainy.
Flag
Agreed. It's not like the got caught in a battle between the two, or there was some long-lasting war between the two Archers; they only came face-to-face 2-3 times. Meanwhile Merlin's plan had NOTHING to do with Ollie; he'd been planning this earth quake thing for over 5 years back when Ollie was just some annoying brat.

She's just blaming herself, but instead taking it out on someone else.
Flag
I really liked the season opener, as it not only managed to wrap up the season 1 ending, but also managed to set up this season quite neatly.

Oliver taking a more serious approach both as the vigilante and with the family company makes much sense and will be interesting.
Diggle and Felicity and their interaction with Oliver was great as always.
And i do agree with those who said Felicity and Oliver got crazy chemistry together.
No idea if its intentional or not, but it really overshadows Laurel and Oliver who got no chemistry together in comparison.
But i like the change in Laurels job situation, and it finally seems her father is done with his vigilante hunting storyline which i found really tiresome as season 1 went along.

Thea running Olivers nightclub, probably was her best scene in the show so far imo. It was a refreshing change from last season.
I still find Roy annoying and uninteresting, and sadly this episode did nothing to change that.
Loved Walters brief return and how he helped Oliver. Actually miss him, unlike Olivers mom.

A few last comments:
Black Canary, Awesome.
No Malcolm Merlyn yet :(
Oh and the island still got alot of Slade and fortunatly no polar bears or smoke monsters :D

More+
Flag
What a great episode. I think Arrow was the show I missed the most during the Summer, thanks to its amazing season 1 finale. The writers crammed a lot of things in those 42 minutes and most of the storylines worked (I'm still feeling that Roy is a bit disconnected from the rest of the show/cast, unfortunately). Felicity is back and kicking! Man, that woman is incredible. And I just love how her and Diggle didn't protest for one second the drop of the "hood" name. Yep, now we can all admit how lame that nickname was.
Flag
I really enjoyed it. It felt like a solid show that has found its footing, as opposed to early in Season 1, when it was full of awesome potential but still a bit wobbly.

I think Thea at Verdant is a great place for her, and given her relationships with Roy and Oliver, she seems a significant piece of the show to me. I never found her as annoying as other people did, though, so maybe that's just me.

I like where Oliver and Laurel are right now, but for me, Laurel is the one they need to find a place for. I just have very little interest in her and Oliver as a couple - they have no chemistry. Her dad seems more relevant to the show than she does. We'll have to see how her work in the D.A.'s Office pans out for the plot. Right now, I don't have much use for her.

Very excited to see Roy's evolution, more Olicity scenes, and how Summer Glau's Isabel will be tying into the show!

Oh, and I think I may be the only person who doesn't really care about the island flashbacks. They really never interested me last year, and so far, this year it's the same. I wish they didn't play such a big part in the show. I like Slade, but aside from that, I just don't care much for the island B-plot.
More+
Flag
Noel, I'm, surpised...

You didn't offer a groan at the now-off-again relationship between Oliver and Laurel obviously opening the door to Sarah's return creating another romantic triangle. (Although thankfully that was the only part of this ep that felt a bit contrived--well, that and the numerous in-case-you-forgot-Laurel-has-a-presumed-dead-sister-whom-Daddy-misses-and-who-was-doing-Oliver reminders.)

So where did Felicity's awkwardness go after doing her usual innuendos? Or did her time in the super-shaker Arrowcave make her less inihibited about how she expresses herself? Whatever the case, I'm glad they kept her on as a regular.

Did I miss the part where Queen Consolidated's AS division took the fall for creating the earthquake device? Or did the Starling City news forget the whole thiing about Merlyn and the other company the Dark Archer shot up? (Or did the writers forget that the device that the playboy billionaire hero's company's AS built that nearly destroyed the whole city was the storyline in their favorite movie trilogy, not their own series?)

Diggle almost seemed like an amused parent looking at his superhero-obsessed child when he asked Oliver what he wanted to be called. Nice to see they'll still let David Ramsey do his self-aware smirks, as he's often been the charcter that's the fans' link to Oliver's world.
More+
Flag
Did I miss the part where Queen Consolidated's AS division took the fall for creating the earthquake device?

Unfortunately, Unidac WAS a subsidiary of Queens Consolidated. I just had to look it up on the show's wikia page. Water bought the company when he still worked for Queens Consolidated.

Obviously Merlin was responsible for it all... he had designs on the device as far back as before the boat-ride that stranded Ollie. But between a WMD being built by a company owned by the Queens and the matriarch acknowleding she knew their name is toast.
Flag
The Unidac acquisition was in Deadshot's first episode, but you have to ask if it took Unidac five years to develop the earthquake machine why did the company only get bought out 6 months before it was finished developing?
Flag
Ok start to season 2. Can see new story lines emerging. Somewhere Shado will probably come into the picture cos Oliver and her were an item on the island. Where is Slade? He would make a good addition to the plot. And I never quite understand why TV sex is always made so desperate with couples tearing each other's clothes off to get some. It's like they have a deadline not to cross. In real life, even extremely lustful encounters are done very seductively between parties for an ultimate experience. ;) Guess Oliver's new name is aptly called ARROW--->> Hmm, the new female vigilante. Interesting. Could it be Felicity with her blonde mane?
Flag
My guess on the heroine in black, possibly the Black Canary analog...
  • Laurel's sister (Sara?) - Missing for X years was perhaps trained by someone
  • Shadow
  • Someone new entirely
  • Summer Glau
  • Laurel herself
Laurel's towards the bottom of my list because it's only been a year and that person fought like a champ. As dedicated she might be to the cause I doubt one year could make her that good. BUT HER SISTER has been missing for years, so perhaps she was trained by someone.

Shado is too obvious. Sure she was using the same fighting style that Wilson was teaching Oliver but I don't think it was her and is awesome in general. But I don't think it's her.
Flag
Really hoping it's not Sarah since she's dead and all, but also kinda hoping it's Dinah, Laurel's mom since that'd make more sense from a comics perspective.

It hadn't occurred to me that it might be Shado, I could see the show pulling that.

I guess this next part is a spoiler if you haven't heard it yet, so I'll put it in spoilerific highlight colors:
They already confirmed that Laurel won't be the first Black Canary.
Flag
Recall though that apparently Laurel's mother had a photo confirming that Sara was alive and survived the yacht crash. Laurel's dad thought it was ridiculous because if that was the case then why wouldn't she reach out to the family.

I don't recall that storyline ever getting resolved. Perhaps she survived and was trained by some people like Ollie was. I'm NOT saying that's what happened, but possible.
Flag
It was a different girl, Laurel found the girl in the picture in episode "Salvation" and it wasn't Sara, Dinah was devastated but wasn't giving up on the search for Sara.
Flag
Ah then apologies... I didn't recall that part.
Flag
Let´s just admit what many others think: This show without Slade/ Crixus would have been boring and make no sense.
Flag
Good opener and I like that the story is actually growing. Does Ollie kill or not? Is there a line to cross? Will he not kill at all or, which I hope, know the difference between defending yourself and straight up murdering dudes?

I like Thea more since they dropped the "petty daughter" stuff halfway through season 1. She can still be a little too often in the way, but she offends me less.

Still not caring about Katie Cassidy's Laurel, though I will say whatever screen magic they used on her in the cemetery scene made her STUNNING. Not that Ms. Cassidy is not an attractive woman, but that was the first time, as a viewer, I was left kinda speechless for a moment.

I dunno about Summer Glau. I've met her in person and she's sweet and nice and very personable (if a bit quiet) but, on screen, she's so stiff. Maybe it's the roles she gets saddled by (robot, crazy girl, cold business woman) but I worry a bit. Also hard to see her as head of a giant company. Shado or China White, sure.

Curious to see how they work this Black Canary in as she isn't Laurel Lance.

I like the interplay between Felicity and Ollie, but I don't want a romance between them. I'd like it more like Garcia and Morgan on Criminal Minds, where they have a clear affinity for each other, but as friends.

More Deathstroke foreshadowing. I'm pretty sure we won't see Slade in Starling City until after all the island flashbacks are done and we see where the two ended up, which I'm ok with. However, I hope they don't keep these running for the entire series.
More+
Flag
Shallow things, but -- I hate what Laurel did with her hair. I get that maybe they're making her go slightly more blonde so that they start to work her toward her Black Canary roots (in line to take over after this one's arc ends or something), but I prefer Katie Cassidy as fully blonde or fully brunette. This in between state is not something I like.

Felicity and Oliver's chemistry is crazy as ever. I'm disappointed that we won't see them getting together anytime soon, because I feel like it's so natural. All other ships seem forward. Especially Laurel/Oliver. Stephen and Katie are lacking serious chemistry for me, even now after a year of working together. I'm not sure what's holding them back, but I'm just not feeling it. So imagine my relief when Oliver and Laurel decided not to get back together. I actually think they make pretty good friends, so yay.

Felicity had the best lines all episode. Hands down.

Shado and Oliver apparently had a thing on the island? So much for Mr Oliver waiting 5 years to get back with his lost love.

Ugh, I really hope Black Canary is not Sarah. Talk about gross if she and Oliver start to have a thing. I mean, that just wouldn't be right to me. Plus, it always bugs me when characters are recast after making multiple appearances with their other face.
More+
Flag
Black Canary I really hope will be Dinah Lance, but that is almost certainly asking too damned much of this series.

Laurel's makeup and hair always bugs me, in this episode it was way worse, and I like how Katie Cassidy looks as a blond but not as a brunette.
Flag
It's not Dinah, first off Alex Kingston could never pull those moves off and then there's the summer casting news that says it's someone else
Flag
Bah humbug! Also, Alex Kingston can be replaced in action shots with something they call a "stunt-person".
Flag
You mean.......
You mean it's not....
real???!!!!!????

You Sir, are a liar and a fraud!
Flag
I agree that I really prefer Katie blonde. This in-between colour is not working for me. I wasn't crazy about the mousy brunette they saddled her with last season either. She stuns in full-blonde and almost-black hair colours. Hopefully they let her go back to blonde soon. As far as Ollie/Felicity go, I got the feeling they'll be putting them together much sooner than they're putting him with Laurel. I do feel like if they put them together though it will be to kill time before they eventually put him with Laurel. It's clear they're endgame.
Flag
Why does it need to be endgame? They don't HAVE to strictly follow the comics. Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards have such an awesome chemistry together. The only on-screen couple that had such a great chemistry as well was Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher...
Flag
I wish that wasn't true. I wish Felicity is the endgame. Crazy chemistry!!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members