An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Though it may not be a big surprise to keen Arrow fans, Season 3's big villain was officially unveiled at Comic-Con on Saturday night. 

In an extended trailer shown at a Warner Bros. fan event, the DC Comics villain Ra's al Ghul was revealed via repurposed dialogue from the Season 1 episode "Dead to Rights," in which Malcolm Merlyn discussed his time in Nanda Parbat. Hit play below to see (and hear) for yourself:

The leader of the League of Assassins, Ra's al Ghul was a looming presence throughout Arrow's first two seasons, with Malcolm being revealed as the only person who Ra's had ever allowed to leave the League. Of course, Ra's came to regret that decision after Malcolm's role in the Undertaking, and now Ra's wants to kill Malcolm. 

Meanwhile, in Season 2, Oliver learned that not only did Sara become a member of the League after getting off the island, she also started dating Ra's's (worst possessive ever?) daughter, Nyssa al Ghul. When last we saw Sara, she was leaving Starling City with Nyssa in the Season 2 finale.

"We wanted to present Oliver with a new challenge with a villain that would speak to what Oliver was going through emotionally," executive producer Andrew Kreisberg explained to TV.com. "This season, Oliver is wrestling with, 'Is there a life for me beyond being the Arrow?' What the Season 3 villain comes to Oliver and says is, 'The reason you're not fully successful as the Arrow is because you're holding onto Oliver Queen. I have let go of my identity and embraced my cause and you should do the same.' It's a whole new thing where the enemy actually, in some ways, admires the Arrow and what he's doing. He just thinks that the Arrow is thinking too small."

Interestingly enough, the introduction of Ra's al Ghul in Season 3 might actually force Oliver to work with the Dark Archer, who took his sister Thea out of Starling City at the end of Season 2. "We've already established that the Season 3 villain has a strong animosity toward Malcolm," Kreisberg said. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend. It's going to be a lot of asking, 'Who hates who more?'"

However, it's not yet clear what the arrival of Ra's will mean for Sara and Nyssa. "Alliances and loyalty are another big theme of the season," Kreisberg said. "There's another war coming and whose side people are going to be on is going to be the thing that drives the season."

Casting for the role is currently underway. 

Are you excited to see Ra's al Ghul on Arrow? Who do you think should play him?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

48 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
When something ends in "s" you don't need an apostrophe "s" just put an apostrophe after the "s". As in Ra's' daughter. It looks weird but it's correct.
Flag
How about Michael Fassbender as Ra's? Someone that could effectively play the role of trying to lure those he deems worthy to his way of thinking charismatically, while being able to ruthlessly kill and destroy at will.

(Or did the recent X-Men films boost his salary out-of-range as well?)
Flag
kevin spacey, matthew mcconaughey, woody harrelson, hale berry, clive owen etc...maybe it's time also for Liam Nisson tv role as Ras al ghul....
Flag
They won't likely be able to afford Liam Neeson, as much as I'd love to see that too--ever since Taken, as an action hero he's been, well, taken by the silver-screen projects.
Flag
WHy Why must we have to wait sooo loooonngg.
Flag
Wait, didn't Batman kill Ras and his daughter?
Flag
Only in the Chris and Jonah Nolan film trilogy, which, in the interest of cinema verite, dispensed with the Lazarus Pits (but made a few sly nods to them).

Although Grant Morrison had Slade kill off Ra's in Batman and Son (on video as Son of Batman), in the DCU he's remained consistently unkillable--but in a much more suave fashion in my opinion than, say, Vandal Savage.
Flag
Great trailer, i'm very looking forward for this season
Flag
Benedict Cumberbatch is the go to guy when you need someone who sounds good, and can ignore ethnicity. He played Julian Assange in The Fifth Estate and he played some dude named KHAN in Star Trek Into Darkness. If they were somehow able to get Benedict Cumberbatch, it would also give more weight to Stephen Amell being The Green Arrow in DC's announced Justice League movie, which seems like an easy choice...
Flag
So would that mean Ra's gets to say "Vatican cameos!" to Nyssa when warning her to dodge gunfire from Malcolm?
Flag
Sounds like this season will be a little more interesting a little 'calmer' (ie. non of the ridiculous stuff with serums and what not), and a lot more about character. We'll see.
Flag
Just so long as the plot lines follow "traditional" villainy and none of this silly super serum miraculously defeated with a last minute vaccine.

Also on the upside, Oli shouldn't have any completely misdirected guilt over having done something to make Ra's al Ghul the person he is today.

Two huge items that should make season 3 infinitely better than season 2 cause the whole Mirkuru and, "I killed Shado" things REALLY bugged me.
Flag
this
Flag
I want Harley Quinn
Flag
Awesome! Can't wait to watch this next season. I think Peter Stormare should play Ra's, but he's on The Blacklist. I'll be bold and say Ted Whittall, who played Rick Flagg in Smallville's final season.
Flag
You didn't hear the news that Peter Stomare is going to portray Werner Zytle / Count Vertigo in the third season of Arrow.
Flag
Yeah, I kinda didn't. Still think he'd be perfect as Ra's. Maybe a name like David Caruso (CSI Miami) or Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones) would be good too. It's a little crazy but just occurred to me, Kevin Conroy (voice of Batman) would be an awesome Ra's. But I might be trippin' on that.
Flag
Yes Peter would have been a good Ra's. I'm excited to see who gets cast.
Flag
Peter Weller would be another good name for Ra's.
Flag
"I am Ra's al Ghul, I am known as The Demon, and the Leader of the League of Assassins."
"Felicity Smoak, Queen Consolidated CEO Assistant, and Oliver Queen's future wife."
:)
Flag
loll
Flag
Cool! Looking forward to this next season!
Flag
hell yeah, cant wait .. This Season is gonna be Awesome!!!
Flag
Ra's!!!!!!!!!!!1111 Really wondering what they're going to do with Ray Palmer since he is also a "superhero"? Will he join team Arrow?
Flag
Should be an interesting season! Can't wait for oc
Flag
Wow, I hope this means we'll get more Katrina Law next season. She was awesome.
Flag
yay, more good news :) look forward to see who's the actor that will play Ra's!
Flag
Definitely excited about this, can't wait for season 3.
Flag
So I'm guessing it is nothing like Liam Neeson's character in Batman Begins?

Looks good though.
Flag
While I seriously doubt we'll have any chance of seeing Liam Nieson show up as the part, I do hope they maintain a fun level of continuity with The Dark Knight movies, even if only in subtle nods to it or other parts of the DCU along the way. Although, I imagine with Fox having Gotham coming up, I doubt they'll even be able to reference it by name...
Flag
While it's good to have recognizable and formidable foes from dc visit arrow, it seems like the show is progressing too much/too fast, you may as well expect the justice league next season and appearances from mister freeze and lex luthor
Flag
Who knows, maybe when the Superman v Batman movie comes out and Arrow is still running during the same time, they may just merge the timelines and bring over the JL into Arrow/Flash. Kind of like the way Marvel is doing with its movies, and its Agents of Shield show.
Flag
I'm not sure they'd come to the shows.I'd like to see Stephen Amell as Green arrow in the justice league movie tho.
Flag
Considering how fast DC has been moving with Batman V. Superman, this is moving at a snail's crawl by comparison.
Flag
I see what your saying.But I think doing things this way allows the producers and writers to continuously make each season better.I have faith in them that they'll find a new villain after him that will still continue to be great without jumping the shark a.k.a the justice league.
Flag
arrow is and will continue to be one of the best shows
Flag
I remain concerned that it's too much for the show and its protagonist to handle, not to mention too soon. Plus there is a lot of bat-themed mythology riding with this one.
Flag
Bug report: You can submit a comment on mobile without writing. My finger slipped and boom. Just sayin'.
Flag
Season 3 is shaping up to be epic.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members