An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Arrow S02E16: "Suicide Squad"

Yay, Diggle! I've been playing the "Hey, Diggle's been really sidelined lately and needs more things to do" tune on repeat to the point where I imagine that some of you wish you could change the damn record, so I'm sure you're relieved that "Suicide Squad" came along when it did. Of course, now that the show's done this episode, I'll only be demanding more Diggle. Maybe he can help Oliver next time! That'll be a change of pace!

I rather enjoyed "Suicide Squad." It was a very low-key episode for Arrow, not too busy at all, with only two plots to its name (I'm not even counting the flashback as half a plot, since it didn't do much beyond showing us things we already knew from earlier episodes). As much as I liked it, however, it had the feel of being a backdoor pilot for a Suicide Squad spin-off. Don't get me wrong, I would probably watch a Suicide Squad series with this cast, and I'm not suggesting that the idea is even in consideration at The CW, but DC Entertainment and the show's producers would certainly be able to point to this episode and say, "Here's what the potential show would look like." 

On the upside, unlike some other backdoor pilots, "Suicide Squad" didn't feel like a completely different show from Arrow, or like something that was conceived simply to be a vehicle for David Ramsey. It certainly helped that all the elements of the episode—from the characters involved with the Suicide Squad to Gholem Qadir (Lee Majdoub) being the one who was looking to buy the prototype of Merlyn's earthquake machine in "Tremors"—were previously established aspects of Arrow's narrative, as opposed to brand-new things that just happened to show up this week.

It likewise helped that a lot of Diggle's time with the squad and A.R.G.U.S. returned to ideas that Arrow has explored in the past, namely the show's squishy approach to right and wrong, and the morals of what people do in the name of whatever cause they've joined up with. Some of it is fairly stale, as Arrow has moved on to Lyla and Waller's mentions of Oliver, Diggle, and Sara's respective body counts, while a nice acknowledgment that these things are still in the air, are also things that don't matter all that much since Oliver adopted is no-kill policy.

Nonetheless, Lyla and Waller maintained that it's a complicated world, one that needs A.R.G.U.S. to employ possible resources, including murderers who don't kill for ideals or a sense of revenge and/or justice...aside from poor Shrapnel, of course. Diggle's discomfort with the use of the likes of Deadshot and Bronze Tiger may stem from a place of motives: they're only doing the right thing to maybe get a pardon in a few years, not because they actually believe in a cause, i.e., like Oliver and like Diggle. It seemed like the episode wanted to complicate this idea a bit with Diggle's anger over Shrapnel's unceremonious end and Deadshot talk of honor, putting Diggle's sense of right and wrong.

On the one hand, Diggle must be aware that the three men on this team would be serving life sentences, if not on death row, so they would die anyway. On the other hand, Diggle values human life, but only to certain degrees and in certain contexts. Kids shooting at him in Afghanistan don't deserve to be shot, but criminals also don't deserve to be used by shadowy government agencies for suicide missions and have bomb implanted in their bodies. There's a very real question about the value of human life and using inmates in the prison system as cheap labor floating around all of this, but it didn't really lead anywhere, which is about par for the course for Arrow.

Meanwhile, Oliver was freaking out about preparing for and finding Slade before he really went and hurt anyone. So, because Oliver is Oliver and isn't good with his emotions, he decided to be all, "I'm going to do this on my own and no one can help me because Slade's going to hurt you to hurt me. Also, Sara, despite being trained by the most deadly assassins in the world, you're obviously not a match for Slade. But I am. Because I'm Oliver Queen." And that was the gist of what Oliver went through with Sara this week.

Like the ethics stuff in Diggle's story, we've seen the "I don't want the people I love to be hurt" stuff before. The only twist this week was that it involved Sara, who can, in fact, take care of herself, unlike Moira, Thea, Laurel, and Felicity. She may die in the process, but she at least knows what she's getting involved with, and first hand in this case. So I'm glad these emotional beats were resolved in this episode because I'm not sure how useful it would've been for this Oliver's lone wolf mentality to resurface.

If there was one saving grace to Oliver's behavior, it's the stuff that surrounded it. Slade's little jabs at Oliver's psyche, with the old Deathstroke mask on a pipe to Alexi with an arrow in his eye to HOME VIDEOS OF SHADO PLAYING ON A WALL, were the highlight of the whole plotline. While all of it served to spur on Oliver's sense of helplessness in the episode, it likely had the reverse end effect that Slade may have intended, namely isolating Oliver from his allies. At least Oliver learned something from all of it.

FROM THE QUIVER

– So, hey, Oliver and Waller know one another, and Waller also knows Slade. That's going to be interesting.

– VERY GLAD that Shrapnel went off the reservation! Given his politics, it made no sense for him to even agree to join the Suicide Squad, so to have him rabbit during the mission was wonderfully consistent with what little we had learned about him, and it provided a way to introduce the little bomb in the other members. Very nicely done. (Apologies to all you Sean Maher fans.)

– "Nice jammies." Diggle and Felicity are just the best together. I don't have anything more profound to say than that.

– Your DC Comics nods of the week: The Ostrander Hotel was named for John Ostrander, a writer who's well-known for his work on the Suicide Squad comic book. Giffen Street was for Keith Giffen, who has worked on a number of DC titles... including, of course, Suicide Squad.

– Yes, that was Harley Quinn asking Diggle if he and Lyla needed some counseling. I'll be the wet blanket about her cameo, as I was very "Eh. Whatever. Fan service." since I really don't want her puddin' to show up on Arrow.

– One last thing! I know I'm normally in the comments, mixing it up and so forth, but I'm taking a long weekend from my 9-to-5, and part of it involves unplugging a bit. So, if I'm around less than I usually am (or not at all), don't take it to mean that I don't love any of you any less. Except you. Yes, you. You know who you are.

What did you think of "Suicide Squad"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

211 Comments
Comments (211)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Um, was I the only one annoyed by them recycling the Queen Mansion setting for Qadir's charity event? Wasn't it supposed to be in Eastern Europe?
Flag
Which is why they used an aerial shot of Berlin for Markovia, 'cause that's so Eastern Europe :- ) Just noticed this while re-watching. Of course they're recyling sets as much as possible, they have to save money where they can so they can go the whole nine yards with explosions when it counts.
Flag
Arrow has been slipping from my 'Must Watch' list lately. It literally took me two weeks to watch The Promise - in the end I only watched it to make sure I was up to date for Suicide Squad. I think I'm just tired of the island, and we didn't learn anything we didn't already know. I'm tired of some other things too, but I'm trying to keep it positive.

I loved Suicide Squad though. But then I'd love anything that featured Diggle more. I love everything about his character - his moral compass, his way of working through things with Lyla, his friendship with Felicity - they are seriously my new favorite brotp and the major reason I'm still pushing through this season. Deadshot and Waller are great - I wasn't totally sold on this version of The Wall, but I'll admit she's growing on me. Deadshot and Diggle have a wonderfully complicated relationship that I enjoyed watching. I'd probably watch that spinoff if it ever happened.

I enjoyed the way Slade played mind games with Oliver. We really get a sense of how long he's been planning this. I mean, apparently he went to China and tracked down home videos of Shado, which was hella creepy. But I still don't like the way Shado's worth is still tied up in being an object to these two men. Arrow seriously needs to work on how they portray female characters.

I miss the core Team Arrow interactions. For me, Oliver without Diggle and Felicity is not as watchable as he is with them. I like Sara as Canary and Roy is growing on me, but they are not the reason I've stuck with this show. I'm beginning to think the show has just got too much going on and too many players on the field. And I understand that since Sara is involved with Oliver now she'll get more screen time, but between the flashbacks and present day I feel like it's the Sara show. Where is Quentin? Where is Isabel?

Sara existed in this episode for angst purposes. Please show - just no. I know this is a CW show, but come on. I want to see her being badass Canary, but the sister-swapping going on this season is gross. We still have no explanation for how/why Oliver's feelings changed from one sister to the other. And no, they never showed the epic love of Laurel/Oliver, but they said it enough for it to be accepted as canon. I don't much care for Oliver lately to be honest. He just looks like an ass. If this episode had been Oliver-centric, I probably would have put off watching again. They keep telling us (repeatedly) that he chose Sara over Shado, but I've watched that scene several times. All I see is him jumping in front of the gun which happened to be pointed at Sara. It looked to me like he expected to die. I think this a major show failing - showing us something and then later telling us we got it wrong. They're doing a lot of that lately, and it's annoying. If they wanted us to believe he chose Sara, they should have shown us that. I might have hated it, but he had a longer history with Sara and guilt over getting her into the situation, so I'd get it. Making it about a love connection seems unbelievable though, assuming that's where this is heading.

And Laurel is just sad now - she existed here to give out relationship advice to her cheating ex and the sister with whom he cheated. Is she still the only one who has apologized? Either she's still hitting the sauce to numb the pain or she's part of a magical 12 step program since 3 episodes ago she was in an alcoholic rage. This is the worst addiction arc I've ever seen and not worth the little time spent on it. And if what I read about the next episode is true, then her entire season 2 arc is silly and ridiculous. Frankly, Laurel could exit the show tomorrow and I wouldn't care, but I can still acknowledge that the writing for this character is terrible.

I'm hoping that the show can redeem The Huntress in the Birds of Prey and they stop making her the psycho, jealous ex - otherwise I fear it's simply going to be a meeting of all of Oliver's 'ladies' on the show. The parts I've read about Laurel's involvement have robbed any excitement I felt about Canary and Huntress meeting, but I'm crossing my fingers it's better than I'm expecting.
More+
Flag
Where is Isabel? - Returning in episode 18

Out of curiosity how long do you think Slade has been planning his revenge? The reason I ask is the mask Slade planted on the roof top was on the island in episode 1 of this season. That means that Slade or one of his minions has been back to the island in the last 9 months or so, which suggests that Slade didn't have a use for the old mask until recently add that to Waller's info that Deathstroke 2.0 is a new player and it suggests that the revenge plot is a new-ish project.
But on the other hand his links to Sebastian Blood suggest Slade has been targeting Starling City for his mirakuru tests before Ollie got off the island
Flag
To be honest, I've been wondering the same thing, and I don't think it's very clear. It seems like he must have targeted Starling City a while back. But unless Slade had something to do with those Chinese fishermen finding Oliver, he had no way of knowing when (or if) Oliver would make it home. So, I've considered that reports of a green hooded vigilante might have amped up his crazy given that Oliver wears Shado's hood.

Also, how much time has passed on the island? I'm always hazy on island time. And present time day time for that matter. Is it the same as present day? If they've now been on the island for 2 years, I also wonder how Slade had time to amass his fortune, power, and followers, not to mention plan his revenge. And Sara better be moving on soon, otherwise I'm calling BS on her having time to train with and work for The League before heading to SC after the Glades fell. At this point she still has zero self defense skills, and she was half dead when Nyssa found her. Then again, trying to reason through backstory on this show is likely a fool's errand lol.
More +
Flag
I didn't like the Sara of 5 years ago. She was a spoiled brat who stole her sister boyfriends. But current Sara is the type of strong woman I think the world of superheroes need (it's still a chauvinist world!). So please show, don't kill her. We don't need more damsels in distress,, we need some real badass. Please, let Sara live,
Flag
I liked it but I think it's safe to say sarah is going to die, thre can't be two black canaries. I'm really looking forward slade vs oliver and please stop with this wierd love triangle sarah-oliver-laurel are they all friends now? thank god I don't have a sister
Flag
Actually it's more likely that Sara is going to be around for at least season 3 if not beyond, assuming the show gets picked up again next year
Flag
Speak for yourself about Harley's 'cameo'. As a huge Batman fan and in particular Harley I loved this nod. I don't think this show is ready to have an apperance form the caped crusader himself but I always thought they could have Bruce Wayne in an episode or at least a mention. Harley showing up seems to confirm that Batman does exisit in this universe. Oh, BTW I tend to agree about the Joker. There is no need for him in this show. I highly doubt they ever will though.

Flag
Yes! I loved it too - I thought it was done just right, they didn't really show her, but was an obvious cameo that if you caught it yay (and made my day), and if you didn't that's okay too. I'm okay if there are no real Gothamy connections to the show (and Gotham having its own series on another network prolly rules that out anyway), because in my brain it'd be a bit too much like meeting each other's doppelganger with Bruce and Ollie. But occasional fun references like these are a nice touch.
Flag
One of the shows producers said the Harley thing was just an Easter Egg and that the audience shouldn't expect to see anymore appearences by the "Deranged Squad Female"
Flag
PLEASE let Slade kill Sara!!!
Flag
why only one? kill sarah and laurel, the relationship sarah-oliver-laurel is so weird!!!!!!!
Flag
Yes, you're right. I wouldn't mind seeing both die, but if only one - then Sarah...
Flag
Wrong Lance, please kill Laurel!!
Flag
Ahhhhh why??????
Flag
I readily admit, just watched Arrow thru marathon and the highlight is Slade, Waller, Diggle and Felicity.....the Lance family can go on vacation; a prolonged one. Can't wait to see how Waller knows Oliver and Slade. Too bad Oliver and Slade are enemies they made such good friends. But seriously can they just bring Bronze Tiger back with an actually story instead of fragmented sentence recite.
Flag
Less Sarah,more Felicity please!!!
Flag
It's Sara. I love her for being so badass and independent unlike other women on the show, so I hope she stays present as much as possible.
Flag
Indeed. While I love Felicity too and hope she doesn't get sidelined too much (eventhough we did have an ep to address that), I'm really glad Sarah is central to the plot, and they've given up on Laurel and Ollie, a relationship which never worked for me since season one.
Flag
Felicity is not independent? In what realm?
Flag
Sooo good to see Diggle taking center stage!!! Seriously, the man hasn't had enough screen time this season. And I loved the Suicide Squad and I can really see some spin-off potential!
Flag
Not buying into this episode. For one thing we're suppose to believe Slade has home movies of Shado? Where would he have gotten them?
Flag
Slade has become a very wealthy man. There's no reason to believe he couldn't have tracked down her home (from before the island) and rifled through all her stuff.
Flag
yeah! he has crazy obsesive boyfriend written all over his face
Flag
Anything she had would likely have been destoried when Fryers men kidnapped her.
Flag
That's quite an assumption. I'd say the large majority of kidnappings do NOT include destroying the home and all it's contents.
Flag
Fryers was sending a message to Yao Fei so he wouldn't have cared about what was destoryed.
Flag
I think it was cool to see the focus on Diggle for a while. Hope his part grows bigger from now on, sure he'll have a huge participation in the whole Wilson's vendetta thing. But he can't be just Oliver's bodyguard, I think he'll be more like a moral compass for Oliver, to keep him from doing something he might regret for the rest of his life.
Flag
I've always seen Diggle as Ollie's moral compass from the beginning. If Diggle wasn't around Ollie's body count would have been much higher than it is now. He needs him as a light house in the darkness of Oliver's sea to show him a safer way not just for the people around him but for Oliver himself. Diggle showed him that's it's ok to let some walls down and accept help and in turn a friend.
Flag
I loved all the Diggle we got this episode and the scene between him and Felicity was adorable. Their friendship is one of my favourites on the show.

I really hope the love entanglement between Oliver and Sara is going to end soon and they will simply become friends, because Stephen and Caity have zero chemistry and watching paint dry is more interesting than the scenes between these two.
Flag
Really? Even less chemistry than Oliver and Laurel? I'm not sayng I think Oliver and Sara are fabulous together, but it's a marked improvement from Oliver and Laurel or really, Laurel and anyone...
Flag
They're on par for me. And I really liked Laurel with Tommy.
Flag
amen
Flag
I just want to give Ollie a big swooshie bear hug. I liked this episode especially all the suicide squad scenes they were great and it was nice to see another layer to the "villains" of our beloved show. How does Oliver now bitch lady and how she now about Slade and all that jazz?
Flag
This episode was relatively very boring.

First off, I have to say this again: there is simply no way Oliver Queen is acting CEO of Queen Consolidated. At this point, it's probably unlikely he's even attended a board meeting. He's either at Verdant, chasing bad guys, or trying to go after Slade Wilson. There's never even been a mention that Queen Consolidated has a COO, a President, anything like that. And Summer Glau's character hasn't been mentioned since she's been inexplicably no longer around.

Secondly, Oliver is sleeping at Verdant/the Arrow Cave? He's a billionaire and the most famous and powerful person in Starling City. People would know he's no longer living at Moira's place. They'd see hes' conspicuously not at Moira's rally even though there's zero reason for him not be there supporting his mother.

Thirdly, most of the relationship stuff between Oliver, Laurel, and Sara could have been done in at-most a few minutes. It mostly seemed filler. That time could have much better been spent on the Queen family. And speaking of that, THEA owns Verdant and it should be assumed she owns that entire building. Sara should probably be fired for giving away free booze and certainly not making Oliver pay for his drinks.

Fourthly, Thea being Malcolm Meryln's daughter is mostly interesting because of what that means for her net worth. From all appearances, Thea is actually smarter than Oliver and certainly is a better businessperson. Thea could easily bankroll her superhero boyfriend and could actually create some interesting family dynamics and storylines. Instead, that all was brushed aside apparently to make Oliver's actual family less important to him than the Lance family and Felicity.

It seems Oliver forgets that his family name and the family money is the only reason he's important and powerful, that he can afford anything, and that he's not some bartender or whatever. And he's clearly not earning money for himself since he's clearly only CEO because Summer Glau's character maybe really enjoyed that sex.

So, Waller is extremely incompetent. Diggle's plan worked perfectly. And why would there be an international incident? If a terrorist had a nuclear bomb and that bomb was contained, who'd be complaining? What would be a problem is incident Americans and Europeans been obliterated for no good reason. The problem in the episode only happens because the drone struck a highway for no good reason.

Waller thinks Oliver wants to kill her and she's kept him alive? Um, why?

And doesn't Superman exist in this world? He could have easily dealt with this situation. Wonder Woman. Green Lantern. Etc. ARGUS isn't SHIELD.
More+
Flag
About Ollie being CEO, that was pretty much addressed during the early episodes of this season, and personally I don't need to watch 45 mins of Ollie sitting through meetings, having established that Ollie is the CEO and doing the job they don't need to revisit it every episode.

No reason for being at Moria's rally; what, being CEO of of a major company means you have to be in the office some time.

Thea's cash reserves probably not as big as you'd like to think. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the all of Malcolm's assests were frozen when he was outed as a criminal mastermind, sure he'll have money offshore etc. but he's probably down to his last $20 million or so.
Flag
You seem to misunderstand my points about Oliver's time. Given the time he spends 'being Arrow' and dealing with his relationships issues, there's simply no way he's actually spending the required hours being CEO. The only explanation is someone else is actually doing the CEO job.

Instead of being at Moira's rally, Oliver was at Verdant.

As-is, Thea is likely worth at least hundreds of millions of dollars. It's not as if Oliver Queen got all the money and stock. And a point is made that Thea has a lot of Queen Consolidated stock.

Thea is the daughter and is an innocent. Remember the BP oil spill? BP

Thea would own Meryln Global, probably rename it, and have a lot of money left over.
Flag
I agree with a lot of that, in particular that it's weird that they're showing us so little of what's going on with the company and Summer Glau. I think the answer to your frinal question is a clear NO. Superman and the others do NOT exist in this world.
Flag
Yeah, in the Nolan Batman movies, I had to pretend Superman and the others don't exist; otherwise, they made no sense. Maybe the same is true here.
Flag
It's not clear at all, just because Superman isn't making headlines doesn't mean that Clark Kent isn't out there working below the radar, for all we know there's a guy in a black trenchcoat running around Metropolis saving people but they can't identify him because he is just a blur.
Flag
Yes, I suppose that there could be a pre-Superman Clark Kent in this world, but once Superman has made an appearance, it would be all people are talking about for a while. If it had happened before or during the time we've seen on Arrow, we would have heard about it. Anything else would be too ridiculous, even for this show.
Flag
the time lines are kinda of crazy because oliver queen appeared in smallville when he already was the green arrow, so maybe, I don't know pretemd this is parallel universe
Flag
"final", not "frinal".
Flag
I was really looking forward to this episode, and what a great episode it was. I wondered how long it would take them to drop the 'Ostrander' name onto something. The 'Suicide Squad' was one of my most favorite comics for a long time. I love how they drop the creators names into the Arrow world.

So Waller and Ollie know each other. Interesting... So I guess we can expect to see a "bratva" season flashback, and now an "ARGUS" season flashback? One curious thing that struck me was how Waller early on said something to the affect of "... we've all used the Ostrander suite at times..." So has Ollie slept with Waller? He is the the Captain Kirk of vigilantes apparently.

I really like how they have continued to add layers to Floyd Lawton's Deadshot. I really really think its time for him to "suit" up. We've got a bad ass Deathstroke full costume, and what appears to be great Flash costume in the Arrow universe. It's beyond time for Deadshot to get the classic treatment. If they gave him a grey featureless "Cyrus Gold"-style face-mask, with an embedded eyepiece, and red body armor similar to Slade's Deathstroke it would be the perfect Deadshot outfit.

I also really liked Laurel in this episode. I've been on team Laurel for awhile and it was nice to see her deal with the Ollie-Laurel-Sara-Life-Death-Ship thing honestly. I thought Katie Cassidy played those Verdant scenes well. That's what I want to see from Laurel, even if there might still be a facade of 'got it together' it still feels like the character is at least trying to be strong. It feels legitimate. I'm anxious to see 'Birds of Prey' next week.

More+
Flag
"He is the the Captain Kirk of vigilantes". :) love it true he is though that's why we love him well I love him.
Flag
Meh, I guess the ep was ok. It was good to see Diggle getting some screen time, though we didn't learn anything new about him. Not impressed with this Amanda Waller, she has no strength, no gravitas, no sense of having gone through some sh*t to explain why she is the way she is.

I was happy to see Ben Browder however briefly.

So far this Ollie vs Slade fest has been a bit of bore. If they wanted to push the climax to the season finale then they shouldn't have introduced it so early. Story lines with Blood and Isabel and Merlyn drop off so they can bring in Slade and he puts up some cameras makes some threats and then drops off for an ep? I don't get it. They completely killed the momentum.

Also, look, I know I'm alone here (or one of very few). But everything about this "relationship" between Ollie and Sara annoys the sh*t out of me. The whole premise is unreal. That Laurel is cool with it is ridiculous, and puts this show more in league with day time television, than "gritty" superhero drama.

Speaking of "drama" why does Oliver keep having these dreams/flashes of Shado? Is this supposed to symbolize his guilt over what happened? Because every time he refers to it, it's not in a "I really cared about her and got her killed, and I'm sad about it, because she was a beautiful person, and I miss her" kinda way. But more in a "Slade really loved her, and I got her killed and now he's going to mess up my life and everyone I care about kinda way".

Sara keeps telling him that her death wasn't his fault (which I mostly agree) but has he spent more than five seconds actually grieving for her and not just worrying about Slade's reaction to his involvement?

Hmm, Maybe next season they'll retcon this season and suddenly Shado will be the love of his life, instead of Sara. &---sarcasm

More+
Flag

Sarah is hot, badass and also likes to mix it up with women. How could anyone possibly want her to be killed off?
Flag
I'm not sure they could get the joker on there even if they wanted to, because that would have to involve batman and you know that's not going to happen.
It was a good episode, maybe the suicide squad will even turn up to help against Slade. I do think the writers are having problems to come up with a good story for Roy since we haven't seen much of him from the moment he joined the team.
Flag
Shrapnel is smart enough to have removed that device just in time. We'll see him again.
Flag
For me personally, this was the worst episode they have done throughout both seasons. I mean aren't the Suicide Squad supposed to be a team of imprisoned super-villains who perform high-risk missions for the U.S. Government in exchange for commuted sentences? yet this mission was so bad.

You know you get those videogames where they think bigger is better and start adding loads of different characters etc that it ends up been a bit of mess and stops you from getting in to each character. this is what i fear this is going to become.

They have too many story lines and tryign to focus on too many of the universes characters - Diggle - ollie - fellicty, diggle - suicide squad, ollie - slade, ollie sara, ollie - laural, ollie - sara - laural, thea - roy, thea, ollie moira thea. moira - sebastian blood. League of assassins - sara....etc im sure i ve missed things.
Flag
Having too much stuff to fit in isn't the worst sin in the world, and although they might be struggling to keep all the balls in the air at times there is at least plenty of material to work with.
other stuff you missed
Ra's inevitable arrival, Malcolm & Thea, HIVE, Isabelle, China White (The 100, might means she's gone for good) Cyrus Gold etc.
Flag
Of course Waller knows Slade, they used to be together in another life.
Flag
Please don't tell me you're basing that little "insight" on Team 7
Flag
What the bleep is "Team 7"? Daniel is clearly talking about Spartacus. No soup for you until you've watched it.
Flag
http://www.comicvine.com/team-7/4060-25145/
So not clear now is it ? :P

And the little things you don't notice when you're not paying attention; Slade & Billy's unit Team-7
Flag
It was 100% about Spartacus just by the line "together in another life" since it was the show.
Flag
I'm familiar with Team7, but it didn't even cross my mind when i wrote that sentence.
Yes, i was talking about the mutha-effin Spartacus. Just watch it, it's good for you.
Flag
I only sort of enjoyed this episode, and were this to be a Suicide Squad spin-off it would be a mediocre one. Diggle pulls a Batman Begins and gets everybody to leave the party before disaster by speaking ill of the host. The Wall sacrifices an operative as a tracking device rather than just... HAVE HIM PLANT A TRACKING DEVICE. And there just wasn't much for the characters to do who weren't Diggle and Deadshot. Oh, and don't forget that the mission ended in essentially failure. Philosophy was more set dressing than actual story foundation.

And Ben Browder was a trooper for his flashback scenes, but man were they boring and flavorless scenes, waste of talents.

As for Ollie, you pretty much nailed it, except that I'd add HOW THE HELL DID THEY HAVE A VIDEO OF SHADO??? And did Deathstroke kill those folks with arrows to set Ollie up, or what? That was a little vague based on the way they shot the scene until we got to Ollie's Russian mob buddy where it mostly clarified the earlier scene but not entirely.

Totally agree on Harley.

Nothing about Felicity living in a brownstone bringing cocoa in her jammies?

Enjoy your vacation from us. I don't mind if you don't love me as much, I know it's me, I burned too many bridges and now it's politically impossible to be my friend.
More+
Flag
I enjoyed this episode being center about Dig for a change. He was being so neglected!
However, I came here looking forward to talking about Felicity's PJs...
Flag
First I'd just like to thank the Arrow team (cast, crew, creators, etc. etc.) for throwing in that Harley Quinn "Easter Egg" I'm in love with that beautiful psycho so it's much appreciated. And Secondly, Diggle is the GD man! and some fans have complained that since Sara showed up Diggle has kind of been pushed to the side so it's nice that we got a Diggle-centric Episode. Also, Dig's Ex-Wife (I think it's his Ex-Wife?) is so gorgeous! I wish Audrey Marie Anderson was on the show a little more regularly but I'll take what I can get.

All in all, I enjoyed the Episode and next week looks like yet another great Episode! They've really stepped it up for Season 2.
Flag
"I'm going to do this on my own and no one can help me because Slade's going to hurt you to hurt me. Also, Sara, despite being trained by the most deadly assassins in the world, you're obviously not a match for Slade. But I am. Because I'm Oliver Queen."

This quote should be captioned in the pic above it.

Flag
Can the writers please please kill Laurel off, not create stupid plotlines for the character! Who ever thought her giving advice to Sara and Oli was a good idea should be fired :/ Seriously she's so useless this season (didn't like her in the first season either!) Just off her, and end her (and all the viewers) misery! It's not like she will be 1/10 of the Canary we have now! PS.

Moar BC training scenes, ladies got lots of Oli one, so we deserve something too :P
Flag
It was good. But I am not sure they needed Diggle for the in. If all they were going to do was blow it up, all they needed to do was confirm the toxin was in there and blow it up. A suicide squad would be more shoot your way in and kill everyone and then blow it up. If there were killed in the process then that is what their role was.

It was interesting that Oliver knows the Boss.

It kind of sucks that the Bratva connection for Oliver is gone.

I think Oliver's intention to isolate himself is way more for him than his family. Last time he took on Slade he didn't have anything to lose and that made him more dangerous. Now that he has things to lose, I think he fears he has lost that edge. And he might be right. But with the group having his back, he should do well against Slade.

Overall decent episode for an episode that didn't have a lot of Felicity.
Flag
Great episode. I also sound like a broken record,but now we got to put up with "happy" Laurel. What,do we give here 4-5 episodes,before she turns bitch switch on? She was forced into episode...."oh,I am so happy now...I understand everyone,better then they do,..." Slade please off Laurel first. Don't you dare touch Sara,but off Laurel asap. But off her,don't fail or else she'll be bitchy again.
Flag
LOL to that "don't fail or else she'll be bitchy again." SO true.
Flag
I like Diggle so I am okay with an episode about him. Its about timie since he was sidelined for a while. The episode was not very exciting. I do hope the rest of the season will focus on team arrow !
Flag
"Markovburg, Markova" is actually "Potsdamer Platz, Berlin, Germany" --- :-)
Flag
Staff
They use another German city for Starling City's establishing shot, don't they? At least that's what someone said back in Season 1.
Flag
Yes, for that they used a night shot of 'downtown' Frankfurt. At least they used to use that. I haven't seen that shot or any shot of Frankfurt in a while. You can usually recognize that night shot by the yellow lit, triangular Commerzbank building.

Flag
I knew I somehow recognized that shot. Nice catch.
Flag
"...as I was very "Eh. Whatever. Fan service." since I really don't want her puddin' to show up on Arrow." Huh... Expect an angry mob of nerds with pitchforks and torches in front of your house today Noel...
Flag
My problem with this episode was that this mission seemed too...NORMAL for ARGUS to utilize the Suicide Squad. If this was a trial run, it wasn't established as such, since this seemed like a vitally important mission when it ended up being anything but. Diggle really COULD have done this mission on his own since he was the only one they needed to infiltrate the mansion. This was really disappointing since I was looking forward to the introduction of the Suicide Squad. Since Waller has teams of SEALS at her disposal, wouldn't it have been much more low-risk to use them instead from the get-go?

As for Oliver's storyline, I don't really see this was a step back for him. He deals with fear by cutting people off. It's a habit that he does a lot, but it is a habit, and one that Sara seems like she's breaking him of. This time is also slightly different than normal since Slade is purposefully messing with Oliver's head. Shado is coming back to haunt him because Slade has come back to haunt him. No wonder Oliver's floundering.
Flag
Yay, more Diggle! Boo, not enough Felicity. Yay, less Moira! Boo, not enough Slade or Harley Quinn.
Flag
Staff
Whaaaat? We always need more Moira. Tch. ;)
Flag
"Psst...Oliver, you're being a dick...again!"

This episode started off really bothering me. We're almost two seasons in and Oliver's shown almost zero growth when it comes to interacting with those closest to him? C'mon! Thankfully, this might have been his first baby step into correcting that personal flaw after some sage advice from Lauren. Remember her? The girl everybody hates? Having express knowledge of Oli's tendencies and a little experience in pushing people away, she rightfully calls him out on his BS. High five, girl.

I REALLY wish this show would stop referencing Shado as the tipping point for this entire arc. Without re-writing history, I'm never going to believe that she was Slade's unrequited soul mate and avenging her death is the driving forces behind everything he does. And speaking of her death, I get that because of the Mirkuru, his mind could twist things into believing that she's dead because of something Oliver did...or didn't do. But Oliver believing that? Once again, c'mon! He jumped in front of Sara because she had a gun at her head. If it weren't pointed at Shado, he would have done exactly the same thing. Seriously Oli, smarten the f*ck up would you please? It's one thing to carry some guilt because you couldn't save her (even though you were still a bit of a pansy back then, so really, what were you going to do?) and something entirely different to be "responsible" for her death. That's enough. Cut it out.

Nice to see Diggle finally get some respect around here. While there's obviously not nearly as much material, I wonder if they'll routinely adopt the flashback format for him (and other characters) going forward. I know there's still a fair amount of island material to cover, namely, when confronted in season 1, how Oliver knew that Sara may have survived the ship but he KNEW she was dead.

Diggle: "Coffee?
Felicity: "No, hot cocoa."
Diggle: "What, no marshmallows?"
Felicity: "I'm all out"

Of course you are. That and the jammies are just another part of what makes you awesome!
More+
Flag
I wish I could up this comment by a million. So little about Ollie makes sense this season, and I think a big part of the problem is that they turned him from an active character into a reactive one. And that doesn't make for very good television IMO.

And I used to hate Laurel at the beginning of this season, but after last episode, I am firmly on #teamLaurel.
Flag
I am now 100% sure that the woman in season one with the pink heels who ordered Fyers around is Amanda Waller. Why else would Oliver have her on his hate list and why else would she know how fucking terrifying Deathstroke being alive entails? They'll probably meet up in the flashbacks
Flag
You suck massively for not wanting Harley Quinn in Arrow. That's all I have to say.
Flag
NVM, I read that again. You don't want Joker on Arrow. Fair enough, but why would that prevent you from getting excited about Harley?
Flag
Staff
It's just fan service. I don't always get excited about fan service. And if I suck because of it, so be it.
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Because we already had one insane Joker-ish character? And they killed the Count off.
Flag
I enjoyed seeing Diggle in the last episode. I simply wished that the show used him and Felicity more in regular episodes. That scene with Felicity and Diggle was great, it captured their relationship in such a short clip. I wanna see more of that. Felicity's line about having a life before team arrow was great, and I hope her personal life is acknowledged at some point in the near future. While I like Sara, I could care less about Lance family drama. As of right now I'm not that excited about Birds of Prey. Perhaps it'll surprise me.

But I can't wait for things with Slade to finally come to a head! Sh#t is about to go down!!!!

Flag
Oliver's storyline this week almost seemed like an add on so it did not really further the overarching story that much. However, that might have been a good thing because I really liked the depiction of the Suicide Squad here, far more than the version on Smallville a few years back.

Though i would want Diggle to stay with Team Arrow, I could see a spin-off focused on The Suicide Squad being successful with the rest of the cast. The CW loves anti-heroes like Damon and Klaus from the Vampire Diaries/The Originals and here you would have a whole team full of them. Granted the cast does go a little older than CW is used to but maybe that would be a welcome change.

The CW is already attempting to form a cohesive universe with Arrow and the Flash, not to mention Harley's cameo hinting that Batman might already exist in this universe, so why not continue that while also playing on a team dynamic. A series like The Suicide Squad could also give the chance to bring in some lesser known heroes and villans. For instance, a secret covert government unit of criminals would likely draw the attention of someone like The Question who has never had a live action depiction.

What would really be great is not only for CW to create a cohesive universe but for there to be some inter-network colaboration for crossovers. Fox is developing Gotham and NBC is working on Constantine. Why not set them all in the same universe. Sure, it might be difficult for Gotham unless it is set int the 80's or 90's but Constantine could fit into the Arrow universe.
More+
Flag
Actually a Suicide Squad spin-off would be a terrible idea. It vary with different writers but there have always been casualties on the Squad, hence the Suicide part, and that's fine in a comic where you have a huge roster of forgotten and insignificant villians to call on, but that's going to translate well to TV.

The choices would be have a core group that drives the story but can't get killed and a revolving cast of red shirts, which goes against the whole idea of them going on suicide mission as there is no risk to part of the team. The other option is to put everyone at risk, but then there's no long term cohesion or continuity to the show. Either way it would suck.
Flag
I think your missing the potential of a series with this type of structure.

True, in order for it to be a true "Suicide" Squad there would have to be a real risk that the characters might not come back but maybe that would be the best part of the show, amped up drama and a real chance that your favorite character not make it out of the episode alive.

Think of the Vampire Diaries. You have had a bunch of characters that they have just all of a sudden killed off, usually without warning. With a few exceptions no one is really safe, even characters really close to the storyline could be the next to go.

As for the roster, as you said there are a number of villains that could revolve in and out. Not to mention Arrow and the Flash would likely have its share of villains being churned out that may strike a cord but not be worthy of being a recurring nemesis. They could become members of the squad. For instance the Clock King would be a great addition to the team. The only real people that really need to be there consistently is Waller and maybe Lyla, Everyone else, not matter how popular they are on the show or how much their character is loved, could not make it back alive. Plus the revolving nature of the show would allow for a revolving cast so parts could be played by actors that are tied down to other shows on other networks rather than just those with CW contracts.

Now there is one person who could stick around if they were made a member of the squad and who I would not mind seeing getting a show of his own, Slade himself. Eventually Oliver and Slade are going to have one final battle but whose to say that Slade has to die at the end, he could survive. With the syrum in his system he is too dangerous to be let loose so maybe Waller forces him to lead the squad, maybe in exchange for information regarding his family. He could be the Captain Jack of the team as he won't die while everyone around him could go at any minute. He could be the backbone of the team with Manu Bennett being the front and center of the series.

Yes, it is an different formula than your standard series but that does not mean that it is a terrible idea, it just means branching out a bit.
More +
Flag
I was kinda disappointed by the Suicide Squad cause the only one that had any significant role was Deadshot. I'm tired of the whole Shado's death is Oliver's fault, it's illogical and very annoying. Thank you Noel for confirming my suspicions that the crazy inmate was Harley Quinn. That was a real threat for me as I'm a big fan of her character.

Flag
Does anyone remember first half of season 2 when this show used to be so good? I want that back!
Although i like Diggle, for me this was probably one of the most boring episodes in the show. Can't we have more of original team Arrow (Oliver, Diggle & Felicity)? Like that time when they broke into Merlyn's company. I really miss those episodes :( Now they are doing so many stories and they are losing themselves and messing up characters they shaped so beautifully from the end of season 2 till couple of episodes ago...
I don't want Sara to die but i can't take it anymore with the Lance sisters. When is enough enough? Laurel giving Oliver and Sara advice on their relationship is just so creapy and cheesy and twisted and yuck and i don't know what else. In what universe, fictional or non-fictional, is it ok to have a love triangle with 2 sisters??? I seriously don't understand it. It is gross! Can't Laurel go somewhere far away and Sara get back with Nyssa?
At this point only characters i'm interested in are Felicity, Slade and Diggle.
I'm giving this show a chance till the end of the season but i don't think i'll be watching season 3.
More+
Flag
I put this down as a dirty fantasy of men to be between two sisters. To me it reaps of sexism and incestuous behavior. I waiting for them to tell me that Isabel was Robert Queen's lover and I will say the incestuous circle is complete and Oliver Queen ins the common denominator in both.
Flag
It's the reason you gave this show a chance that you even got the wonderful first part of season 2... Don't see why you wouldn't stick around to see if season 3 might have something similar to offer?
Flag
Because they are ruining the show so quickly and thoroughly that i am afraid what they could do with Felicity and Diggle next... Why did we have all those Laurel episodes? And all the drama? I wish they sent her on rehab, away forever. Sara was ok but in small doses. She is a great Black Canary so i would like to see her from time to time, like 5, 6 episodes per season, but they ruined her too. Now i want both Lance sisters gone and that sick & toxic love triangle broken for good.
Flag
Unfortunately, I doubt it will get better next episode. I read the summary, and the next step for Laurel just makes all the silly drama we had to sit through with her this season look like good television. A friend said she'd never believe Guggenheim used to practice law because everything with Laurel this season has been so ridiculous. I tend to agree with her :/
Flag
Good point, I agree completely. I just meant I wouldn't stop watching no matter if they resolved the character issues now.
Flag
Yes i agree. That's just me, i don't like to be angry and upset about things i can't change and things that i'm meant to enjoy in the first place (like TV shows) :)
Flag
I randomly have to say my only issue....Dig I really don't know that Slade knows about Felicity yet other than she is Oliver's useful executive assistant be careful!
Flag
They must be running a DC world tour or something, Markovia, Khandaq & Qurac all getting a mention.
I did enjoy how they fleshed Lawton a bit more, especially the additons of his daughter and his death wish. Also Diggle's line about getting the pardon, was possibly a very sideways reference to why villians in the comics keep getting back on the streets, as Belle Reve (the Squad's base of operations) has been refered to as the revolving door of the US penal system.
And I'm wondering if Ollie and Waller's little talk was a set up for the season 5 flashbacks.
Flag
Markovia was mentioned back in Season 1 in "Lone Gunmen," Deadshot's first appearance. I was thinking Qurac was as well. Khandaq, I don't believe so.
Flag
It's that they all got mentioned in a 60 second window, made me think of a world cruise sales pitch. Add in Bialya & Vlatava and you've got a tour of the Middle East & Eastern Europe
Flag
It's called world-building, and it's a good thing.
Flag
It's not world building, they are Easter Eggs nothing and while I appreciate them don't make them out to be anything of greater significance.
If it is "world building" then for each of the following list 3 significant facts that you have learned from the show :
Khandaq, Qurac, Markovia, Bludhaven
Flag
Loved the episode Tara Strong did the voice over for Harley she does the voice of Harley in the video games too. And wow Laurel wasnt anoying this week she was thoughtful, had smart things to say about a werid sitiuation and evrything. This Laurel I can work with.
Flag
Really didn't like the codenames for Waller and Diggle. Mockingbird is associated with the Secret Six not the Suicide Squad. Considering the presence of Harbinger, Monitor would been a more apt name. Freelancer is far too ordinary and uninspired--Fletcher (one who crafts arrows) would have made much better choice...
Flag
Mockingbird beaome associated with the Suicide Squad after the three part Suicide Squad/Secret Six crossover, when they revealed that Amanda, head of the Suicide Squad, was the new Mockingbird for the Secret Six.

Of course, that's all out the window with the New 52... :(
Flag
They gave Waller the Mockingbird codename earlier this season so it's not really a big shock when they use it again, also Waller was Mockingbird for a while.

But you right about Diggle's codename everyone knows he's really...
http://i.imgur.com/OzeQzXm.jpg
Flag
The episode just proves that Diggle can make an episode worth watching even without Oliver Queen and Felicity, and even Sarah. It is so refreshing to see the other side of Deathstroke and even the whole Suicide Squad. It makes me look forward for the upcoming episode where Waller and Oliver team up. I may not know how Waller is connected to Slade Wilson and Oliver but I can sense that the next episodes will be much anticipated by everyone.Will it be possible to have a spin-off of Arrow by the title of "SUICIDE SQUAD"?
Flag
Definitely think a SS spin-off is likely. Part of me hopes it's called Agents of ARGUS :P
Flag
If that would be possible I hope its fate would not be like the ABC's Agents of SHIELD. It's getting weaker and weaker. But with SS Or AOA (the one you like to be called) I think it has a strong characters and interesting story.
Flag
Great episode! I like Diggle much more than OQ and Lorel is definitely more sympathetic now - I can guess what that means about Sara's future in the show (and that makes me somehow happy - not really, because this is only tv show, but you know....)
Flag
Call me shallow, but this episode was BORING. I almost died of boredom. Seriously. Almost 70% of this episode was devoted to Diggle flashbacks and heartstring moments humanizing Deadshot. No thank you. Diggle is the flattest, lamest, most boring character on this show. Laurel may suck, but at least she has a personality. Diggle is just a non-entity and I could care less about his ex-wife, his cliche past trauma of killing some kid, his blossoming love-hate relationship with Deadshot, or really anything that involves him. Also, if they're aiming to make a spin-off with the suicide squad, nip that shit in the bud right now please. What an over-the-top, cliche clandestine group.
Flag
You seem like a joy to be around
Flag
You know you like me. At least I'm not one of the shippers.
Flag
I seriously was about to say that as well then i saw your post lol..
Flag
I didn't even know it was Quinn until she said "I’m a trained therapist" Then I DIED! I didn't even know they were adversising for her!!!

Flag
About halfway through the episode, I thought to myself. The Suicide Squad with Diggle and Layla have a lot of stories to tell. there is just so much potential to the story that it can spawn an entire series. Now, I'm hoping The Suicide Squad would be a series instead of the Flash. I'm also hoping Birds of Prey would also be the same.
Flag
There is no reason we can't get both the Flash and SS.
Flag
yeah but it would be too crowded with DC shows. but I'm fine with making CW into D'CW. get it? :D
Flag
Harley Fucking Quinn.

Felicity bringing Diggle hot chocolate

Laurel did not piss me off this week

Shrapnel may or may not be dead. Dude was an explosion genius..If Lilah can deactivate the head bomb with tigers claw -__-

Diggle and Deadshot coming to an understanding.

R.I.P Bratva dude

Slade as Deathstroke is Perfect... (Was my fav character on Teen Titans )
Oliver and Waller ??? Though in hindsight should have expected that.

While watching it occured to me that the Suicide Squad has great potential for a spinoff David Ramsey could carry that show as the moral center.
Flash coming soon
Arrow continues
Birds of Prey with Canary, Huntress and you could have Felciity alternating between all Four shows. And multiple show crossovers. Too epic for words if this could be achieved.

Flag
Agreed, I'm loving the enthusiasm.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members