An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Arrow S02E08: "The Scientist"

The CW's The Flash spin-off has been an anticipated aspect of Arrow since it was first announced this summer. It's a logical business move for The CW, creating a new series out of the network's surprise hit from last season, and it's a logical business move for DC Entertainment, a company that is looking to better exploit its non-Batman/Superman properties however it can. Yes, Marvel and ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has under-performed, but the superhero narrative—at least as far as real-world business is concerned—is still pretty focused on how much better Marvel is at using its properties. DC would very much like to change that narrative with a new series next season.

But launching a Flash spin-off from Arrow posed a couple of challenges, namely the fact that The Flash has superpowers. He has super speed, and in the comics, that super speed provided for a number of other powers, like the ability to control his molecules or the luxury of sped-up mental processes—and Arrow eschewed superpowers in its first season. Certainly that decision made sense for Arrow, as it it's a darker comic book series with a comic book sense of realism; more fantastical elements would've felt decidedly out of place in the style and tone it established.

So this put the onus on Arrow to make room for the possibility of superpowers in its world before Barry showed up, and before Barry got his abilities, without making it seem like the show was abandoning its style and tone, especially since I'm sure The CW and DC would like to keep open the possibility of Oliver and Barry teaming up in the future. Luckily for the Arrow, dividing itself between Oliver's time in Starling City and his five-year absence from Starling City has afforded the opportunity for the show to work in that possibility in a way that doesn't feel like it's "cheating."

So we get the supersolider serum that Ivo is searching for on Lian Yu and that Blood has apparently replicated and is testing on denizens of the Glades. The serum is a decent-enough way to introduce powers to the universe; it's not as if there are aliens or mutants running about with innate abilities. There's a comic book sense of scientific reasoning for why the serum works the way it does, and that reasoning fits within Arrow's particular brand of realism. Likewise, the decision to stick with generic powers—super-strength and endurance, with near-invulnerable skin—wasn't the show diving into the deep end of the superpowered pool. Cyrus, Blood's masked minion (how is he able to see out of that mask, by the way?), isn't shooting lasers out of his eyes or bursts of ice and snow from his hands; he's just a super-tough guy. Thus, it doesn't feel like a complete departure for the series.

Understandably, mileage on the effectiveness of these developments will vary. When The CW announced that it'd be spinning off The Flash from Arrow, I was skeptical and a little annoyed at the thought of dropping of "no powers" mentality. I worried—and still do, to a degree—that if powers become too prevalent in the series, it'll become fairly difficult to buy into Oliver surviving his encounters with the weekly bad guy. Such an approach would force him to be more clever than straightforward, a character development I would welcome, but that I'd also rather see happen regardless of whether his rogues have superpowers.

But there are two things that've helped me feel largely okay, if not a little bit interested in, the introduction of superpowers to Arrow's world. One is just the gradual and soft way the show has done it. Blood doesn't have himself an army of Cyruses (yet), and I'm thankful for that. He's still figuring out the process, so it's not as if this is a sudden change.

And the second is that the serum is a connective point between Starling City and Lian Yu, which helps the Lian Yu storyline. If there's been a macro-level drag this season, it's been the stuff on Lian Yu, so the decision to root the serum in the past gives the flashbacks some urgency and relevancy beyond "Oh, this is what happened on the island! Isn't it nifty?" and I'm all for that. While Sara's presence helped to give Lian Yu a little jolt, it ended up falling back into the "Bad guys are looking for us! We gotta survive!" situation that we saw last season. 

Now, however, the stuff on Lian Yu matters. How did Blood get the serum? How many people ended up getting injected with it? How did Oliver and company stop them? What did it do to Slade, since his injection lacked the sedative component? The flashbacks have always been the show's main "mystery" element, but that mystery was largely self-contained to "What happened to Oliver?". Hopefully we'll get to see how the flashbacks tie into the present day storyline, which is especially important now that Arrow has somewhat abandoned the complementary thematic approach between the two plots.

Anyway, all of that—both the narrative gears of the show and my discussion of them—was just a lead-up to Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) arriving on the scene. I'm not very familiar with Flash. I've been reading the New 52 line off and on, I know the Wally West version from the Justice League animated shows, and I've got a sense of the Barry Allen version from the early 1990s CBS TV incarnation. Arrow's Barry Allen feels more like a Kid Flash than Flash, given his age and job position as an assistant crime scene tech, as opposed to a full-fledged forensic expert. From a broad comics perspective, I appreciated some of the small nods, like Barry saying he's not good on his feet, and the longer riff on Barry sorting chemicals during a thunderstorm—a reference to how Barry Allen got his powers in the comics when he was struck by lightning while standing next to a shelf full of chemicals.

From a TV perspective, however, I can see why The CW opted to scrap the backdoor pilot and go with standalone pilot. Gustin was very good in his debut, hitting comedy and drama notes well. He's good-looking, likeable, and young, three things The CW loves, and he seems like a he can handle headlining his own show, should The CW pick it up for next fall. That Gustin is essentially auditioning for a pilot on someone else's show does make it seem like he's trying a little too hard sometimes, but it kind of works since Barry is also trying a little too hard in the narrative.

Beyond the issue of superpowers, another concern I had about spinning Flash out of Arrow was the tonal difference between Flash being generally more lighthearted than other characters, and especially more lighthearted than Oliver and the series around him. It looks like Barry won't break the show in that regard. It helped that he was paired with Felicity, an equally lighthearted character, and that Barry, too, has a tragic backstory. It was clunky in its placement as a big exposition speech that we'll absolutely hear again when the pilot rolls around, but it at least gives the character a degree of pathos, so that he fits Arrow's more somber tone.

While I liked "The Scientist" overall, I also had some annoyance with it. For instance, I have no idea what Felicity expects Barry to do to save Oliver, so why she would reveal Oliver's identity—or why Diggle would even allow that to happen, good grief—is beyond my comprehension. (In my notes, I had: "Dammit, Smoak, he's an assistant crime scene tech, not a doctor!") I get that she's distraught, but I really don't understand why they'd tranq Barry and haul him to the Arrow Cave. Why not call Lyla instead? She does work at A.R.G.U.S. and it was an A.R.G.U.S. disaster bunker, after all, plus the head of A.R.G.U.S. knows who Oliver is.

Next there was Moira. First: It very much appears that Malcolm and Moira think Thea is their offspring, so apologies to everyone who heard "Thea isn't my daughter" or were holding out hope that it was all just a dream, like the ninth season of Dallas. Second: It appears that the League of Assassins has a 1-800 number, because Moira didn't have any issues contacting them and letting them know that Malcolm was still alive. I understand the need for narrative expediency when it comes to expensive guest stars like John Barrowman, but instead of throwing a party that resulted in some awkward banter and awkward staging at the bar, the show might've instead spent that time with Moira working on contacting the League instead of almost all of it happening off-screen.

Finally, there was Roy, Thea, and Sin. I don't mind this little gang going out and poking around the bigger plot, as I'm actually happy to see Roy and Thea being used in ways that don't involve them getting tied to a chair and threatened with guns. However, Sin is all okay from her hospital stay and didn't even ask where Sara had got off to, which seemed bizarre to me. I did like that Mark has drawings of Blood's mask all over his apartment, though.

It's little things like these that Arrow should be actively working not to do. It's doubly frustrating that it has, actually, managed to avoid these issues for a nice chunk of the season, until the past few episodes had characters acting just to move the narrative along regardless of whether it made sense, and relied too heavily on contorted plotting like Moira's trial. It's not as if these issues always drag down an episode, and they aren't huge ones (okay, the kidnapping Barry thing is kind of huge), but they're symptoms of a condition that I thought the show had more or less treated, and I don't want to see it fall back into bad habits.

FROM THE QUIVER

– I missed the mention of this mention in the previous episode—what with the whole "Thea is my daughter" business—but the super-powered bruiser is named Cyrus, and the press release for next week's episode has him named as Cyrus Gold. I wonder if he was born on a Monday...

– Barry, I imagine that Director Singh—who's the head of the Central City crime lab in the comics as well—will fire you for tracking in dirt around the crime scene area. Don't you have special shoes or something that you should've worn?

– Oliver shooting an arrow into Roy's leg was oddly violent. Yes, Oliver was in a rush and concerned about the serum from the island potentially being mass-produced, but to put an arrow through Roy's leg seemed like a massive overreaction. A knockout-gas arrow would've done the trick, and without the trip to the emergency room. Maybe the move was a sign of frustration with the "no kill" mentality? Or maybe Oliver's immediate instinct is violence?

– "Maybe he thinks he penetrates just fine."

– "I could do with a better-looking crutch."

– "FYI: They will card him at the bar." How young is Barry?!

– No Laurel this week.

– The particle accelerator will activate in a week for the characters, making me wonder if we'll see it in next week's episode.

What did you think of of "The Scientist"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

218 Comments
Comments (218)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love Arrow but I'm starting to think like, what didn't happen on this island?! Should we be watching the story on the island and flash forwarding to the present?
Flag
Finally watched this episode. I was disappointed that Barry Allen is roughly 10 years old, and thrown by the lack of powers and the role not coming off the type of charisma I'd expect to be a lead or a hero. Hopefully there's more to him and the premise itself in the next episode.

The fact that the show is laying groundwork for powers feels like something they should have been doing all along, the Emerald Archer never needs powers but he should exist in a comic book universe, there's nothing wrong with that as long as it takes itself seriously. At this point, it's less believable that all this stuff is going down in Starling City than it's going on at all. I see your point about powers becoming a cheap thing for Ollie to handle regularly, but since the show has utterly failed to make a convincing day-to-day superhero out of Ollie, I expect we'll just keep repeating the same beats of season 1's arc where he's good at his job, he gets beat, he gets back up, and he defeats big things. It'd be better if he was a true hunter and stalker and archer and thinker and could act slowly with laser focus and take down regular criminals and that sort of thing here and there, but the show simply fails to deliver well in that regard.

Cyrus' mask isn't opaque, it's a fine mesh which is easy for the wearer to see through but difficult to see into. I didn't catch the Solomon Grundy tie-in, thanks for pointing it out.

I agree that Lian Yu hasn't been working, and now at least has some level of justification here.

I'm not sure I like the idea that the serum is going to change Slade from the guy we've liked on this show into the awfulness that is Deathstroke the Terminator - that guy is a bastard and it should be WHO HE IS AT HEART. Slade Wilson should be an ok chap because he's trapped on the island, not a bad guy with powers because he was injected by something on the island.

All your knocks against this episode are spot on. And Roy used to be an adventurer like Ollie, then he took an arrow in the knee. Why not a taser arrow or a sleep gas arrow or shoot his pant legs or just punch him in the face? Oh, right, because VIOLENCE! gets attention. Plus, now Roy gets to get hooked on painkillers, you just watch.

The first half of this episode had some really decent-looking action scenes, then the second half was all dreck.
More+
Flag
Loved the Tamriel reference!
Flag
Watched the episode again this morning. I really liked it he second time as well. I noticed a couple things that I didn't see/understand the first time around.

I see a lot in the comments where people have been critical of Grant Gustin's size. I watched again kind of with an eye to that and I don't think that is such a problem at least for me. The best interpretations of Flash over the years have been drawn (or animated) more lanky then muscular. So while Grant may want to "beef" up a little I don't think his build is all that big of a deal. Though I am anxious to see him fully costumed. Maybe since we won't be getting the back door pilot in episode 20 maybe we will get a cameo of Flash/Barry fully cos'ed dropping by to see Felicity.

I'm still very much a Laurel supporter. i recently saw a couple first season episodes and I remember thinking why did that character get so off track? I still don't have a good answer for that but maybe its clunking writing trying to get that character into a "rock bottom" moment. Lord knows the writers haven't been getting the expositional forward momentum quite right lately.

Either way one thing that has been nagging at me is that if Laurel is supposed to become the Black Canary then where is she going to get "trained". Ollie's got the island, and Sara's got the island and her time with the League of Assassins. How are they going to get Laurel up to speed as a capable fighter/heroine? And while I think a lot is still out on the writers getting a groove back on the subtlety and sensible plot progression. I forsee Laurel getting dosed with the serum. Lord knows she's got plenty of "sedatives" coursing through her blood right now.

The other thing I missed the first time around was Dig's comment, "Whats next, aliens?" Oh I so wish that to be foreshadowing a link to the Man of Steel universe! We've got Superman, Batman, now Wonder Woman and I think a very good Flash to add to that mix.

Kind of related to that it seemed that Ollie eluded to a number of things that he experienced on the island as "unexplainable". Leading me to believe that the serum was the tip of the iceberg of crazy.

I think the rest of the season will be a big test for Arrow. Its done the grounded realism well and now its sprinkling in the more fantastic elements. If it can balance them well Arrow will continue to be an amazing show.

More+
Flag
Isn't Sarah Black Canary?
Flag
In the current season of Arrow, Sara Lance is "Canary". Although in the traditional comic book mythology the "Black Canary" character is named "Dinah Laurel Lance", and as far as I know there is no character, sister, or otherwise known as Sara Lance. While the early season 1 assumption was that Laurel would become Black Canary, this season has born it out as Sara. As many things about Arrow differ from the traditional comics its entirely possible that Sara will be "Canary", now and always. While Laurel will be just another character.

There are still many seasons to go I'm sure anything is possible. I like Sara, but I also "want" to like Laurel more as well. I also want to believe that they would stick somewhat closer to the comics version and have Black Canary be Dinah Laurel Lance. There is much debate on whether that should or should not come to pass.

I think it will, personally. So far Sara has only refereed to herself as "Canary" and not "Black Canary". So my hunch is that Laurel will become "Black Canary". Speculation, but I consider myself a fan of Arrow no matter what.
More +
Flag
I like the kid, Barry, he can stay and be of the team...and Maggie Q....please.... :)
Flag
I'm not as familiar with The Flash comics, but I loved the intro scenes here leading up to introducing him - the visuals of him getting off the train, getting splashed by the cab, etc - all without us seeing his face. That was a very comic-booky entrance in the best way, really. Great visuals. I also thought Grant Gustin was a little young for this role but I admit I really liked this version of Barry Allen. I'm assuming the whole tone of The Flash series will be different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If that show works out, it's a good opportunity for some interesting crossovers.

The only thing I don't like is the introduction of superpowers. Arrow exists in a grounded, grim and realistic universe (as realistic as it can be with some dude wandering the city with a bow and arrow, anyway lol.) I guess as long as they use it SPARINGLY and keep it as grounded in fringe science as possible, I can get on board. My biggest concern is that it will lead to lazy storytelling. They'll have to keep the characters and their reactions grounded too in order for it to work. I just don't want to see the characters become OOC because they're trying to make them fit a particular storyline, and it's happened already in a few episodes.

As for Felicity bringing Barry in at the end - I'm assuming it's because she knows he knows about chemistry? And since Diggle was getting ready to expose Oliver's secret anyway, and to a lot more people, then I can accept revealing it to one person as an alternative. It makes more sense than Felicity investigating Vertigo on her own and Diggle allowing it (OOC moments used as a plot device.) My big question is what was in those syringes? ARGUS had sedatives there - did he OD on sedatives or something else they had laying around? I just wasn't clear on how he was 'poisoned.'

Interestingly, they've made some direct parallels between Felicity and Shado in the first seven episodes. First in the Dollmaker episode, Felicity says, "It's my life. It's my choice." Slade said those same words about Shado in the flashbacks from the same episode - since it was the same episode, it really stood out. They've shown two instances of Oliver losing his cool and overkill being the result - and they were related to Shado and Felicity. I think Shado's dead since Oliver's wearing her hood - he probably does it to honor her memory. Maybe whatever happened on the island between Slade, Shado and Oliver is what prompted Oliver to finally take Slade's advice about emotional ties, and it's all leading to Oliver being forced to confront something that happened on the island while he's 'hallucinating.' Oliver is clearly determined to remain emotionally detached from the people he cares for - even with Diggle and Felicity. He's making some progress, but he's still pretty closed off. Maybe 'Three Ghosts' will help him see that's not necessarily the way to go.
More+
Flag
Great observation of the comic booky introduction of The Flash!!
Flag
I hadn't noticed the Shado/Felicity corollary. I like that, though I hope Shado did not die on the island.

I don't have too much of a problem with Barry's age. We are in the "origin" phase of that character, and I don't think it would make sense to have him older. I grew up on the Wally West Flash as Barry died just before or about the time I got into the comics. I see them making this Barry with a little bit of Wally and Bart Allen (the latest Flash before DC's big New 52 reboot).

I don't want Arrow to get too hung up on the "realsim" aspects. Its one my problems with the Nolan Batman franchise. It was too strenuously "real" but it was about a guy in a cape and cowl. A guy jumping from roof tops with a bow and arrow strains realism at a point. But I do concur on the grittiness and an Arrow with fantasic elements used sparingly would be a better Arrow.
Flag
I don't think they have to get hung up on realism, but Oliver fighting people with superpowers all the time would be bad - look at how Cyrus threw him around like a rag doll. It looked like he should have broken something, but I'm assuming he'll be well enough to fight when he wakes up. He's not wearing body armor like Batman, so it's hard to suspend disbelief. That said, those fight scenes were freaking awesome lol.

I think the last Flash comics I read were the ones you mentioned (I especially remember Bart Allen.) So yeah, he more or less fit my image since it's an origin story. I knew enough about it to appreciate the Easter eggs anyway, so that was fun. I have to say, though, I'm glad he's just in one more Arrow episode. He and Felicity are too much alike, and it really threw off the tone and dynamic of Team Arrow for me. They were cute, but it also seemed less like an Arrow episode in some ways. I wouldn't want to see it every week.
Flag
"The blur"? Seriously? And I wonder if Barry appeared 20 blocks from home because he was taken or because he run himself, with Flash speed.
Flag
I'm looking forward to more detail of the origin in the Flash pilot but as described by Barry its pretty consistent with Barry Allen's Flash origin story in the comics. The "blur" is likely Professor Zoom, but in the comics Barry has time travel capability so Barry's 20 block moment could be a future Barry protecting past Barry, or even some involvement from Zoom.

Total speculation, fanboy-ism on my part but I hope they introduce Jay Garrick the original Flash. He could be an older "role model" type. Someone who has experience with the Speed Force (the "power" that gives all the DC speedsters their abilities) and can help Barry develop. Kind of a Slade to Ollie corollary for Flash/Barry. The pilot is co-written by Geoff Johns who is one of the writers credited with the modern JSA revival so I know he knows who Jay Garrick is and how he could be used.

Coincidentally David Goyer was the other writer credited with that revival of JSA and he did the Batman movies, the new Man of Steel movie and is slated to do the new Constantine series I wonder if the Spectre will play into that series at all. Either way Flash is a capable vehicle to reveal a JSA from a bygone era. So I have strong hopes for a Jay Garrick appearance in the new Flash series.
More +
Flag
I would love to see Jay Garrick on tv! (to be honest, I would love to see many of the speedsters, specially Jesse Quick, but that is probably not going to happen as too many speedsters would be quite silly.
Flag
Yeah. I had to chuckle a bit about the "blur" thing, too. I don't think he ran himself. Maybe it was the future Barry who had to kill his mother to make the younger Barry become the Flash o.O?! I am thinking a bit of "The Flashpoint Paradox" here :)
Flag
Finally! An actual SUPERhero with actual SUPERpower is comming to a SUPERhero series.

I have just been managing arrow for sometime because a hero without super powers is just a cop who didn't go to the academy

they made canary a tech girl and I was done with the series until I heard about flash(my best dc hero) and I knew I would love him

this episode was spectacular and I loved barry befor I even knew who he was and this is coming from a marvel fan

I hope the writers bring superpowers into the series because that's what makes superhero films fun to watch

Flag
Even in the comic there were stints when Canary didn't have her powers, but she at least adjusted by using sonic grenades and fighting even harder than ever, but yeah, she's never really been much of a tech girl.
Flag
I think 15 years is more than just a stint ;)
Flag
Staff
Good.
Flag
Despite the fact that Grant Guston played the role well, I don't like the fact that they cast someone who looks like a high school student as Barry Allen.
They should have gone with someone in his mid to late twenties.
I had enough of teen angst and growing pains watching Smallville for 10 years, I hope they don't go in that direction with the Flash series.
Flag
I don't so much mind him looking younger, but he's really going to need to beef up. Sure, he's not super yet so it fits now, but hey, I'm hopeful to see a level of improvement akin to Andy Whitfield training for Spartacus or Chris Evans training for Captain America.
Flag
Flash isn't really a beefed up charakter. He is thin and not really strong. He has super-powers, so it is kind of "magical" and there is no need to see where the power is coming from like muscles. I cant remember Flash using his muscles :D
Flag
I'm not talking a hulking gargantuan amount of muscles, but if you ever see professional track runners, regular marathon runners, they don't tend to be very lanky guys, they have extremely lean muscles, namely very strong thighs and shoulders.
Flag
couldn't stop laughing at Felicity's penetration line and can't wait for Slade next week!!!
Flag
So good, so very good. One of the best Episodes of the year. Grant Gustin was superb, Felicity was amahhhhhzzing.. it seemed like every moment was awesome.
Flag
Barry's backstory with his mother is actually a massive event in the dc universe when reverse flash goes back and murder's barry's mother and he reverses it making him not flash and he gets to see how the world turns to shit without his help and has to let his mother die for the greater good

Flag
I had to think of The Flashpoint Paradox, too. Maybe they will bring us some sort of that story. It would explain who this "blur" was and why he was dragged away and not killed like his mother.
Flag
the "blur" was his older self pulling his younger self away from the whole mess. The "speed force" from which all speedsters derive their ability from allows time travel when moving fast enough and on occasion dimensional shifting
Flag
Or you know, you could just tell people to go watch/rent Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. Quite possibly the best DC animated movie I think I've ever seen, and I've pretty much seen and I'm not even that big of a Flash fan.
Flag
"No Laurel this week."

Laurel who?

:D

Flag
Oliver shooting Roy in the leg was just rude. The kid probably doesn't even have health insurance! Who's gonna pay for that, huh? Not his bartending tips. Billionaire superheroes are sooo out of touch with the real world. Good to see Bullet again though. Hey, Bullet!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Slade ain't dead. Also, I've been committing some serious crimes against comic book fan-ity by mixing up Deadshot and Deathstroke, but I think Slade is going to become DEATHSTROKE (not Deadshot that guy sux). Espesh now that his face is all jacked up and he got injected with that superhero serum. Deathstroke.

I'm glad Felicity is so over Oliver- that was weird. She and Barry Allen (ugh the 1950's called they want their words and clothes and shitty names back (sorry anyone named Barry)) are basically the same person and make much more sense together. Barry seems cool, I might check out his show.

No Laurel=good episode. I'm noticing a pattern! Now, if only we could get rid of her pesky, wooden-faced little sister too.
Flag
Really liked this ep! Also that Felicity has someone else to look at other than Oliver! I mean, its not hard not to be attracted to someone who's all heroic and doing push ups in front of you, and saving your life on the daily, but maybe it was just an attraction of proximity? I think Barry is a much better potential flame for Felicity and have way better chemistry (on account of the attraction isn't all one-sided.) The love interests, however are not the only reason i love this show.

I can't help but feel that Ollie's insistence to go after the Cyrus guy alone may have something to do with Slade and what happened on the island. Perhaps some unfinished business? Or something he feels he needs to prove to himself? It's not exactly out of character for him.

I also agree with Noel, now that I think about it, that they could've handled the 'keep Barry around for longer by saving Oliver', thing better. I mean, when I was watching it it was excellent, but now that I think about it, it probably would've been easier to undress and change Oliver's clothes and take him to the hospital and made up some lie that way, than go to the trouble of tranq-ing Barry, taking him to the arrow cave then waiting for him to wake up.
More+
Flag
I think barry was cute, great episode and I hope there is a reason why felicity asked him for help but I know she wouldn't do that without one right?? and why Oliver called barry to dance with her?? come on, you are killing me show!!!!!!
Flag
I knew they were going young with Barry Allen, but I'm still surprised at how young they settled on. Barry Allen's supposed to be a doctor. Grant Gustin's 23, so that means he started Medical school when he was 19 years old. It's not impossible, but it's unlikely.
Flag
Thank god that the writers have realized that they need to give less screen time to Laurel. This show is just so much more awesome without Laurel!!
Flag
This season Arrow is much improved compare to last. It is now moving at a very good pace. I did not feel the urge to quickly watched it till the last few episodes.

I too liked the fact that the show is slowing introducing powers instead of pushing it too fast.

This Grant guy playing Barry Allen is good. I think he can lead his own show.

This is a really good episode and I was hoping for more after the episode ends. First time I feel this way about the show.
Flag
Arrow is becoming unrealistic with this superserum stuff but is still enjoyable, I ndon't want it to end up like Smallville. The realism keeps it good. I prefer to see Olly fighting foes with similar abilities. Barry Allen was fun though and Felicity's crush on him is sweet. Malcolm should have been killed off properly, I know it happens a lot in comics but Olly has moved on to the Baron etc.
Flag
Ahhhhhhhhhh I love this show but come on talk about leaving us hanging I can't wait until the next episode, I might just go nuts :). Over all I loved this episode and was engrossed in it the entire time who wouldn't be watching Oliver any way is Barry flash yet or is he still normal and hasn't had a accident yet to turn him into flash I just wasn't sure and it was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Felicity NO NO NO NO Oliver is yours don't go waiting for kisses from strange boy who will " get carded at the bar"
Flag
For me this was a GREAT episode, regardless of any superpowers complications. I had a lot of fun. There was Sin, Roy, Felicity, the island firends, that evil character played by Summer Glau, and no Laurel at all! The Allen boy is charming, that should work for the spin-off.
Flag
They do show Moira sort of contacting the League of Assassins at around the 30 minute mark where she asks a man "Have you made contact?" and the man replies, "Yes. He said to tell you that the information was gratefully accepted." So she didn't exactly dial a number. She sent the information up the chain, using a contact.
Flag
good for her
Flag
I completely laughed when Moira threatened Malcolm with Ra's al Ghul. The dude is the secretive leader of an extremely secretive organization. I mean, did she just Google "League of Assassins", and up pops Ra's' contact info and Facebook page?
Flag
I don't really care much about the Flash connection, though I did like the character. Sometimes I thought Barry and Felicity were cute together, at other times I thought that he just didn't seem as if he'd be interested in women.

Liked that Laurel wasn't there. I find her irritating, especially now that she has a hate on for Arrow and has created needless angsty distance between herself and Oliver. I know that show's try to prolong sexual tension/interest, but I'm well past caring about that romance.

A lot of what happened in the ep didn't make any sense (even when it came to small things) though it moved along well enough.

Moira contacting The League of Assassins. I agree with the thought that a highly secretive organization couldn't be that easy to contact.

I agree that Malcolm Merlin doesn't seem to have much to do except menace Moira. I can see how he may feel that all he has left is Thea but then they'd be other ways to approach that issue besides beating down the Queen's security to chat with Moira about it. Plus, unless we're to believe that there is still something between them I would have expected someone like Merlin logically (even though I know it doesn't fit the aims of the show) to harm or attempt to harm Moira since she's all that stands in the way of him getting to his objective, Thea and she's relishing thwarting him. As a villain this time he is just, meh.

I still don't get what they are doing with the Isabel character. When they first introduced her I thought that she would have some dastardly agenda or nasty secrets. I does seem from her discussion with Oliver at the bar in Moscow that she has some secrets but annoying as she is she really hasn't turned into much of a threat or adversary. She tries to curtail/control Oliver when it comes to the business but he generally just goes around her.

The party at the Queen mansion: My first thought was that Thea, seeing that most of the guests were AWOL in real life would have just had the party moved to a smaller room in the house. The empty ballroom shot was dramatic but also just didn't make any real sense.

Slade shouting out when they injected him when before that point the men hunting them don't necessarily know that they are on the sub -- and no reaction from our little party to that. They just keep tending to Slade (who everyone thinks is likely to die) instead of trying to leave or take up defensive positions.

Shooting immature Roy in the leg. No sense in that really at all. It would have been easy enough to tell Roy something about the threat or give him something to do that would have occupied him but kept him out of harms way. Don't get shooting him in the leg. Unless it was all just Oliver flexing. He's always shown aggression towards Roy -- daring him to mess up with Thea. Though to be honest, I found that chest thumping unnecessary and annoying, as well.

So we come to the big doesn't compute moments. Why would having some knowledge of forensics and chemistry qualify Barry to save Oliver's life? And why bring him in by rendering him unconscious first when Oliver is dealing with an unknown pharmaceutical running through his body? Whatever needs to be done to Oliver needs to be done quickly. Other question: Why not just use Oliver's Chinese herbs to purge his body? In this universe, these work against any kind of ingested threat. I also don't understand why they think Barry can be trusted or why they think they should risk his life (he's obviously not a tough guy) by divulging Arrow's secret?

None of these issues take away from my enjoyment of the story or will keep me from continuing to be a fan. But I do think that the writers should step their game up and realize that viewers do notice and care.
More+
Flag
Loved the flash across the boardroom table between Moira and whatever the hell Summer Glau's character is named - foreshadowing of an EPIC conflict?
I hope so; they are both severely under-utilized. And it's easy to see Moira as volcano-hot after the party snubs and the Ras al Ghul backing.
Flag
Well, Barry Allen came to the show with very appropriate and nerdy music, andddddd I liked it. I don't know much about The Flash, but Barry won me over, now I am gonna wait for the show the next year. Not very Flashy of him always to be late... :D
About the story, for me was an excellent еpisode. The big dude gave a reason to find out that the island was the place where apparently "all the magic happends".
Ohhhhh, Felicity was tonight's episode MVP, can't stop thinking that her role was the perfect ad to the show. The way she always manage to stand up to Oliver is amazing and super adorable. Ánd, yeah, like I trust the "i don't like Oliver" part!!! Of course you dont *wink* (I am sooo Barney Stinson right now). If I wasn't hard core Olicity fan, Barry and Felicity would have been an superb couple. But in my mind she is already taken.
The other thing was Malcolm's popping from behind the curtain. Very intimidating- not!!! But the way Moira got him, she got him good, for now at least. The dude just doesn't get it, does he?
And again, ladies and gentlemen, you need to wait-for-it, couse is gonna be legen- NO LAUREL LANCE IN THE EPISODE- dary!!! LEGENDARY!!!
More+
Flag
Actually, he's frequently late, for the same reason other superheroes are late...fighting crime. However, that's usually only an issue after they actually STARTED fighting crime...
Flag
Have we been watching the same episode? Because I did not see any good acting being done by Pretty Boy Nr.1032. starring Berry Allen.
The "nerdy, but cute" routine makes me gag everytime the Felicity character has a go at it - the double dosage this episode was almost unbearable.
I really thought we were past the age in TV, where you could just put glasses on a obviously attractive woman and let her talk pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo in in order to portray a "smart female character". Someone please send a memo to the hacks at The CW.

These two characters made me think Leo and Janna from Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.S. Comparing these performances though, makes it painfully obvious on how different of levels these two shows are.
Leo and Janna are actual characters with personality and some kind of depth.

While the latter show, even though taking place in the Marvel Universe with its supernatural elements feels much more "natural" - the former is struggling so much even at the mere level of acting, not to speak about plot holes/~conveniences and doubtful character motivations. An arrow in the leg? What the hell? And am I the only one who feels like Oliver lets his mother off the hook a little too easily? Am I supposed to root for that woman or feel happy she loves her daughter?
More+
Flag
First, it's Gemma - not Janna. If you're going to use one female character to criticize another, at least get the name right. I agree, as another poster pointed out, that sometimes they have Felicity ramble for no reason other than to inject humor. But she brings a lightness, both to the show and Oliver, that's badly needed at times. There is such a thing as too dark. But as the other poster said, wearing glasses or not has nothing to do with geeky vs. sexy - that's totally sexist. Also, I've been watching both shows and Arrow is far and away the better show at the moment. Much a I love Joss Whedon, SHIELD is not exactly what I thought it was going to be.
Flag
1. According to IMDB she is called JEMMA. So maybe we're both wrong.

2. I phrased that whole thing quite poorly. Of course there smart & sexy are not exclusive from another.
I just take offense that the writers try to make her unavailable to Oliver (because in real life she would be a logical choice for a partner - smart, pretty, knows his secret, spends a lot of time with him, saved his life) using the old "Pretty Woman" trick on her: Ponytail, glasses and awkward personality.
And yeah, I don't think Felicits is a well developed character.
Maybe it's just me, but (at least after Episode 1) I can believe in Jemma as a scientist. But maybe it's the writers, the directors or the actresses fault : Felicity is not a human being, she is a caricature. She is what the makers of the show believe a female scientist is like.
Yes, scientists can be sexy, not matter what gender. BUT:
Scientists are NOT all short-sighted. They do NOT talk about science all the time. They are specialized and do NOT know everything about everything. And they are NOT all socially incompetent.
More +
Flag
"Have we been watching the same episode? Because I did not see any good acting being done by Pretty Boy Nr.1032. starring Berry Allen.
The "nerdy, but cute" routine makes me gag everytime the Felicity character has a go at it - the double dosage this episode was almost unbearable. "

Thank you! I think I LOVE YOU! I felt the exact same way.

Flag
While I agree that some of Grant Gustin's work at Barry at least at this stage felt a little forced, I take issue with your characterization of Felicity.

Your comment assumes that there is a divide between "nerdy" and "cute" and that an "obviously attractive woman" can not also be scientific, smart and accomplished. It isn't just Felicity's glasses that give weight to her qualifications and usefulness to the team. Felicity has demonstrated her technical and analytic skills, compassion and grounded morals and a brain of her own, willing to stand up to her own friends and speak what she things is right.

There's no doubt Emily Bett Rickards is a beautiful woman, its not like characters haven't commented on it. I don't think Isabel would comment on Felicity's short skirts if she didn't feel like she represented some level of competition or has won Oliver's attention. "Smart female characters" or even "strong female characters" for that matter shouldn't be characterized by their beauty or lack thereof. They should be well-defined people who have strengths and flaws, passions and insecurities, just like a real person. So no, putting glasses on woman does not make her a nerd or a worthwhile character. But dismissing a well-developed character because she happens to be beautiful and wears glasses is just as short-sided.
More +
Flag
I understand why my post gave the impression I see it that way.
But I DID mention Jemma as a good example of a portrayal of a female scientist that was more believable. And the actress who portrays her is very pretty as well. But somehow I forgot about that quality while watching her.
And that can only be due to good acting/writing/direction.

Only an idiot would think smart and sexy were exclusive towards each other.
So I dismiss Felicity not because of the actresses' good looks or the fact that she wears glasses but because of how stereotypical a scientist she is.

I will admit, though, that she had some good moments and is not a complete shell of a character like others. On the other hand - that is not saying much...
Flag
I mostly liked the ep but the Felicity hea(r)t-on-her-sleeve infatuation for Barry (not exactly super naming there, of course Aussies will call him Bazzer, which is better?!) was a bit OTT. Her bringing him into the office without telling Oliver was riskilly bad enough. I assumed the ending with her hoping he could science out the drug was because of their mistrust of A.R.G.U.S., which may for all they know be involved or after the drug too. Plus they don't want to end up in debt and pawns for A.R.G.U.S. to use willy-nilly - bad crutch!
The Flash 'awakening'? I wondered if he'd already had it and/or was born with it in this version, as the way he talked of his dad's setup sounded like another super powered villain was involved in his mum's death. And that his intervention leading him instead of helping but 12 blocks away was either him being moved to safety or his as yet unconscious knowledge of how to amp up kicking in but un be known to him.
His narrative of his mum's death with clunky and overly long with deep and meaningful pausing - I kept hearing the director in my mind going "CUT. Can we speed this up a bit darling?". Also all the I'm late but never late spiel and rushing about was heavy handed - and Superman-like.
Agreed that Moira's on the dodge looking butler must've had the super villain 'Black Pages' to hand.
Oliver's use of hand to hand combat seemed pointless and odd. He knew what he was up against and Flic' told him the whole penetration facts of life skin density, so why? And kinda EWW! Hearing Flic' talk of anything remotely sexual is like listening to your sister telling you she does it. NO. NO. NO. I'd of preferred an accepted arrow or three to the chest there in this case. As it also made his speech about knowing how to deal with Cyrus (a namesake nod is all I'm guessing) plainly wrong.
I think Oliver shooting Roy was more of a growing frustration at having to rein in his somewhat unwanted brat pack. It's looking like an uncomfortable democracy and Thea's injecting in herself into the mix is yet another annoyance - well it is for me.
John Barrowman expensive? I doubt it. He's worked for the Beeb, so he can't be that dear.
Still not sure about super powered types though, that will surely make Oliver appear even more human. But if it gets him killing again to survive I'm all for it. Leg shooting, me arse!

More+
Flag
I liked Barry a lot more than I expected to. I don't know if he can carry a show, but he is miles ahead of Thea/Roy/Sin who are honestly quite cringeworthy. Especially Sin, but especially Roy.

As a side note, whoever is doing Felicity's makeup needs to lighten up. She looks like one of those giant Barbie head's I used to put make up on as a kid.

Best part of the ep though? No Laurel.
Flag
Yeah, Roy...I didn't like him on Teen Wolf, and I like him just as much on Arrow.
Flag
glad to know its not just me that hates it when they tart up Felicity - the garish makeup and that red dress with the cutouts to expose her as she bends over the table was over-the-top(!)
Flag
I completely agree. I love her, but they really need to tone it down. Keep her classy i.e. classic. A little more J.Crew and lot less Forever 21.
Flag
not up on my fashion labels, but I'm sure I agree with your assessment. I do like the short skirts though.
Flag
Hm not one of the best episodes in the season, still pretty good. I really liked Barry Allen and how everyone reacted around him. Oliver was being serious (why did they say that he would get jealous I cannot understand, he didn't seem jealous to me) Felicity was smitten as Diggle noticed and Diggle was having a lot of fun with the other ones' interactions, which seemed so natural as if the actor himself was enjoying it. The attempt to add supernatural powers as you noticed was really good. And I liked the fact that Moira could see under Isabelle's facade. No Laurel so yay there. The flashbacks did not make sense to the points they were, I'm wondering, are they going to add something important in our knowledge and understanding of Oliver's behaviour or the plotline, or are there just to be there? Oh and Barry is not yet the Flash is he? Does anyone know, if he will become the Flash in Arrow, or in his pilot? I'm so afraid of the way the show is going to deal with Ra's As ghoul (totally misspelled it).
Flag
i just have to say..i looooove this show! With everything that is going on, very intense and every episode is amazing. The best thing that brings big smile on my face is Oliver and Felicity's relationship. This slow step by step dance that they have and i can't wait to see what happens to them next ;) hopefully <3 ;) :)
Flag
This episode did a good job at introducing Barry Allen. His geekiness was endearing. I'm really looking forward to how becomes the flash seeing how he currently has no powers. The only critique for Arrow is that to have a show based on a superhero comic(whose main character eventually becomes the Green Arrow and is a part of the Justice League) and possibly not have super powers makes no sense. I for one am glad this doesn't seem to be happening.

I enjoyed the Barry/Felicity scenes. There really is the potential for the two of them to be great allies. The Oliver/Felicity scenes were interesting as well. I liked how the show reinforced and portrayed the development of their friendship. I found Oliver protective of Felicity in the same way as Diggle was concerning Barry's minor deception. When Felicity told Barry she didn't like Oliver, I think she meant it. There is obviously an attraction between the two characters but its one that will hopefully develop into more as the show continues. If anything, they're slow burn.

Excited for part 2 of the midseason finale and the rest of the season as a whole!!!!

More+
Flag
Did anyone else have a strong urge to punch Barry Allen in the face every time he appeared on screen?
Flag
All the time :)
Flag
quite the contrary.
Flag
No Laurel last episode either and both were better for it. Besides her eventually learning that Sarah is alive, I can't think of a reason not to bench her indefinitely.

I enjoyed seeing Oliver shoot that little punk Roy.

Flag
Great reference to Tamriel there!
Flag
Yes, that was very gratifying.
Flag
It looked painful, Oli should just train him to be Arrow-kid instead.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
Hah. I saw that the day before this aired. Craziness.
Flag
Dead Japanese guys? Just a guess.
Flag
Last seasaon Arrow did the plot reveal of the missile launcher on the island just as the Senkaku island dispute made it's way back into the headlines. Now a long lost Japanese sub turns up in the show and also in real life.

Read into that what you will.

Also no Japanese dead guys, because it was captured and scuttled by the Americans.
Flag
No one into deadpan humor. Oh, well. Yes, I saw this online too, and thought I would try to make with some humor, but, on a serious note, the writers are pretty good on Arrow and seem to keep up with current events. I think that some of the problems the writers have on the show are execs telling them we have to include this in the show or that we have to support this certain product or show.
Flag
Deadpan humor has to be errr, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, that's it humourous, so kinda missed the target on that one.
Flag
Just so all you TV folks know this is DC and WB plan to intro the JL, all of the leagues BTW. If you read the new 52 this past summer they had the Trinity War event. So surprise they are building the three leagues through film and tv. Guillermo del Toro already admitted he is writing and directing the Justice League Dark film and the Constantine TV show will feed nicely into the film and won't effect it meaning they will probably use the same actor. WB is going to blur the TV/Film line for the first time using the CW to intro characters.

After Man of Steel I had a theory they would add Flash, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter to their tv lineups because you could group them together, but then thinking about it more they may blow it out more because Green Arrow is on the Justice League of America to counteract Batman on the JL. With that said this is gonna be awesome compared to Marvel who doesn't have all their properties under one umbrella. This is going to be a hell of a next 20 years with tv shows and cool comic book films popping out every year.
More+
Flag
That would be awesome!
Flag
I'm also thinking after Diggle says "what next you're gonna tell me aliens are real" and Oliver laughs which implies all these events happen before Man of Steel so that means they can age Green Arrow and Flash for the films and use older actors or if they test well just use the tv cast which is what I'd prefer, but movie executives are there and I'm hoping they just allow Nolan and crew to make all the final yes or no's instead of saying we need more star power for Flash get us, fill in the blank.
Flag
Would've preferred Slade to be on his feet and with an insane look in his eyes as he clearly isn't dead. Sarah asked Oliver a few weeks ago what had happened to Slade and she wouldn't have needed too if he had died in front of her. Having Slade ready to tear some new ones would have had me more excited for next week.
Flag
Not all that interesting an episode, in my opinion, but I admit I know very little about the Flash's origin, despite being an avid comic fan as a kid. Goes to show I was 90% Marvel, I guess. Hope they work on the 'cross-over' well.
Flag
Doused in chemicals during a lightning strike, the chemicals blah blah blah. His origin is one of the weaker ones (and that's saying something...), and at least in my opinion, he's the least interesting Flash. Wally West, or even Bart Allen as Impulse (later on in his career when he matured a bit) were MUCH more interesting characters. Barry was...a bit of a straight shooter.
Flag
I first have to say that I came to the Arrow series without having any deep background to the Arrowverse other knowing the name of the titular character. So I appreciate reading the reviews and comments that provide more insight and detail to characters that have been introduced this season and we expect to be shown in the future.

In that regard I look forward to adding a Flash offshoot to my superhero TV watch list. Flash I'm a little more familiar with. But I'm not seeing Grant Gustin adequately being in the role unless a) he bulks up like Amell or b) The CW relies on a body double any time the Flash is suited up.

But in this episode as Barry Allen I thought Gustin was just fine. I'm not a Gleekster so am unfamiliar with this actor. Yet just about whenever Barry and Felicity were together I thought we were experiencing Nerdgasmpalooza. Of course it also didn't hurt that Felicity looked amazing in her cleavage baring minidress and was radiant in her evening gown.

Yes, thought Oliver putting an arrow into Roy's leg was overly harsh and unnecessary, but if it serves the purpose of helping push Roy to become the Red Arrow as others have already suggested then so be it.

But you didn't call out the show for one totally LOL moment. Early in the episode the police are asking for an inventory of items in the warehouse when there was a big a## centrifuge missing from the middle of the floor. Gee, wouldn't that have been a pretty obvious clue?
More+
Flag
He doesn't need too bulk up. The flash to the best of my knowledge is actually a skinny dude.
Flag
Perhaps the Flash is no hulking superhero, but in my mind--and briefly confirmed by the Google--he's depicted as pretty muscular with ripped thighs and abdomen. Perhaps his alter ego appears svelte?
Flag
In drawing a parallel between 'Arrow' and 'Smallville'...I love me some super hero universe expansion. When Bart first showed up in Metropolis...fantastic. When Oliver came on and then became a cast regular...sweet. BUT, unlike Arrow, Smallville didn't have a universally likeable character like Felicity. Lana, Chloe and Lois could have their little super hero hook ups because at one point or another, on multiple occasions, they were annoying to the point of, "Bah...do whatever you want!"

My girl Felicity however can do no wrong. "EYES FRONT ALLEN!!!". For the forseeable future, I don't really want anything between Felicity and Oliver to go beyond a crush with awkward flirty banter...I suppose that means I have to accept other people coming and going, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If nothing else, Barry needs to be put on notice Vin Diesel style, "Break her heart and I'll break your neck!". And probably best to get that in before he gets his powers.

Surprisingly, I'm growing more and more comfortable with the idea of Oliver and Isabel. For what was a random 500 mile rule random hook-up, I saw what looked like some genuine chemistry this episode. In addition to his role as CEO, showing actual concern for Oliver as an individual trying to re-integrate his mother back into the world. Take your time writers, don't do anything foolish, but I kinda like these two. I'm a little concerned mama bear Moira might get in the way though.

Speaking of which, one episode and already I wish she were back in jail. Malcolm, Thea's paternity, dropping a dime to the league of assassins...three possible arcs I'm already done with. Please Moira, just stay in the background and try not to get in the way, at least for a little while.

Oh, and the bring in Barry to help a drugged Oliver cliffhanger...BOOOO!
More+
Flag
I can see felicity crushing on as a serious relationship I could never see it. Oliver and Isabel would be fine with me even though I'm not crazy about Isabel at least half the time.
Flag
"I love me some super hero universe expansion" Dude, ditto. Like in Smallville, when the "Justice League" first formed, and Clark was given the nickname "Boyscout" just like in the comics...awesome. All of those little nods to comic book fans just make my day.
Flag
Summer Glau, Emily, Willa Holland, and Susanna Thompson were all looking gorgeous at the party. However - I thought Oliver was a little smarter than that. Really, a party celebrating someone exhonorated for mass murder? Just a tad tacky. (The only thing tackier would have been Laurel showing up.) So it made sense to have no Laurel this episode.

Introduction of Barry Allen was decent. I would have liked to see them go a little older - EBR looked a few years older than him more like older sister than love interest - but he was good.

This episode hit a few bumps - that reveal to Barry - I just hit my head. I think another appearance from Cynthia Addai-Robinson's Amanda Waller to help wounded Oliver would have made much more sense. So this is the intro of Cyrus Gold. Wonder if they are going to introduce Solomon Grundy this season as was rumored?

No Katrina Law until episode 13, bummer.
Flag
Ollie shooting Roy made my day. I just wish it had been a little higher... like three feet or so.
Flag
The first word that came out of my mouth during that scene was yessssss :)
Flag
The absence of Laurel alone was enough for me to enjoy the episode.But i hate that Moira is becoming secretive again, it's like season 1 all over again.
Flag
Nope, they never recycle anything on this show. Not ever. :)

Of course, it'd be so much better if some of the writers knew the difference between recycling and regurgitating....

Flag
She's great (FANTASTIC) eye candy, but yeah, Laurel just needs to be killed off or something. Have Sarah (why couldn't they have just named her Dinah...wtf) come back for good to console her father, done.
Flag
Loved barry even before I knew his name. 1 thing I didn't like about arrow was the "no super power" thing. Its really stupid. But I think they are going to give barry superpowers then destroy the serum. I loved this episode but I have to say....what's the point of a superhero with no superpowers? That's why I don't like batman or even captain america(to an extent). They even made canary a tech-girl.
Flag
SIDE NOTE: (sorry still can't edit posts)
Who's getting sorta lost at Oliver's love life? It's becoming very geometrical, and it is set on two different timelines.

Island: Sara-sort-of/Oliver/Shado/Slate
Real-life : Laurel/Oliver/Felicity/Barry

Like. Honestly. WAW. And I'm not even mentionning the triangle from the beginning of the show Laurel/Oliver/Sara.

Noone else is at least a little confused/bothered? Really? Noone?
*sits alone on the sidewalk*

Flag
You forgot Isabel. I don't really care about it, as long as they don't keep painting one person as "the one" for someone else. That's what makes me cringe.

It would be weird if Oliver and Slade didn't both fall for Shado. She's awesome, and she's the only woman there. Those are two excellent reasons.

Barry and Felicity have so far just had a little flirt. Oliver and Felicity have had less than that. Felicity made it clear that she's interested, but Oliver just wants her as a friend, so that he can a) hold out for Laurel, and b) continue to bang hot chicks that he meets.

I think they're going to circle back to Laurel eventually, because they made such a big deal out of it before.
Flag
I get your points. But I must say that I am sort of doubting that Laurel/Oliver is the end game. I think Oliver and Felicity are really cute in a non-dating way (for now, maybe in season 5?) but clearly the producers noticed that Katie Cassidy wasn't really working for the fans and that Emily Bett Rickards rocks every scene she's in.

Laurel went from being an every-episode-regular to three-out-of-four-regular, whereas Felicity was promoted from guest to every-episode-regular.

I just wish the CW would have the balls to not have the characters date. Because if a couple gets together this soon in the show, it means they'll break up for a very lame reason three episodes later and honestly... I don't think that is something interesting. It would be interesting to see Oliver actually TRY at a relationship, it would be great character development. But it's too soon for him, obviously. So.

If Laurel could die by the end of season 2, Tommy-style, and turn Oliver into Green Arrow... God, I'm all for it.
Flag
I'm hating tommy's death all the more now that it didn't mean removing the biggest obstacle between oliver and laurel.
Flag
God, this was FUN. Even Oliver was a funny dick haha!
"Do your parents know you're here?"
"Just FYI, he WILL be carded at the bar" HAHAHAHA SEE? YOU CAN BE FUNNY.

I didn't really find him jealous though. He started burning Barry before Felicity became interested in him and then he was rightly paranoiac about his backstory. Diggle seemed to be the one amused by the fact that Felicity was into Barry and wanted to rub it in to Oliver. That entertained me enough.

These fight scenes are honestly awesome though, considering their budget.
Flag
Loved it. 2nd season really stepped up it's game and improve from first season. AND LAUREL WASN'T IN THIS EPISODE!!!! NOT EVEN A SECOND OF A SCENE OR NAMING HER!!!!! BEST EPISODE SO FAR!!!!!!!!
Flag
Oh, and one more thing: Felicity was "smoaking" hot in that red dress without the glasses, at the non-party.

Flag
Re: Roy's arrow thru the leg.

When I first saw the arrow head covered in blood sticking out of his leg, all I could think was "Red Arrow".

(since at the begging credits the arrowhead That Oliver-as-Arrow is holding has a greenish tint to it).
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members