An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

After news broke earlier today that The CW is considering a a potential Arrow spin-off centered on DC Comics superhero The Flash, my mind immediately hurdled over logistics and reason and honed in on the most important question to arise from this news: Which overly pretty man should play said superhero? If he's going to have to stand next to Stephen Amell for even a little bit—we'll see The Flash's origin story during Arrow's second season—he's going to have to look good. Also, there's that thing where I don't think you can get a job on a CW show if you don't have the face of an angel and the body of one of those ancient Greek statues, which narrows the field considerably.

Using an extremely secretive scientific formula, I've compiled the following list of potential candidates for The Flash. Some of these were submitted via Twitter, some were borne from my own highly creative mind. Some were included based only on a Google search for pictures of Taylor Kitsch's abdominal muscles in Savages. So without further ado, the top six candidates:

Justin Hartley

Why he'd be a good fit: He's got superhero experience, having played Oliver Queen on The WB/The CW's Smallville. And he only got that job because the pilot of the Aquaman spin-off he anchored wasn't picked up. 

Why he wouldn't take it: Hartley recently booked the juicy role of Victoria Grayson's long-lost son on ABC's Revenge.

Michael Rosenbaum

Why he'd be a good fit: Much like Hartley, Rosenbaum is no stranger to the world the comic book-based television series. He starred as Clark Kent's friend-turned-nemesis Lex Luthor for six seasons on Smallville before leaving the show to explore other opportunities. Though he came back for guest appearances, he was never a main character after that. At least this role wouldn't require him to shave his head/wear a bald cap every day.

Why he wouldn't take it: He might be tired of the superhero stuff. 

Gabriel Mann

Why he'd be a good fit: He's already proven that he has what it takes to take down immoral bad guys as Emily Thorne's billionaire sidekick Nolan Ross on ABC's Revenge. Sure, he usually leaves the physical combat to Em in favor of focusing on popped collars and expensive high-tech gadgetry, but we've seen him in the boxing ring and think he's up for the challenge.

Why he wouldn't take it: He's the best part of another show.

Devon Sawa

Why he'd be a good fit: Sawa's time as Owen/Sam on The CW's Nikita is almost up; the series will air its swan song this fall. And everyone knows The CW likes to hire from within—Stephen Amell appeared in a few episodes of The Vampire Diaries before landing the role of Oliver Queen, and Katie Cassidy has appeared on Supernatural, Melrose Place, Gossip Girl, etc. Bonus points: Sawa already has the abdominal muscles necessary for appearing shirtless on The CW, and he's got a built-in fan base from those years spent as a teen heartthrob. 

Why he wouldn't take it: He's too busy taking over Twitter.

Zach Gilford

Why he'd be a good fit: The man formerly known as Friday Night Lights' QB1 needs a role on a quality show after working on a string of canceled dramas that were unworthy of his face and talents. And while there's no guarantee a spin-off will be as successful as its parent series, Arrow fans are loyal and likely to follow from one show to another.

Why he wouldn't take it: He's holding out hope for the Saracen-and-Landry-focused Friday Night Lights spin-off about Crucifictorious's attempts to win the West Texas Battle of the Bands.

Matt Davis

Why he'd be a good fit: Davis deserves to lead a show that people actually watch. Cult was not that show. Plus, his character was killed off The Vampire Diaries (R.I.P., Alaric) despite all those letters I sent to Julie Plec begging her to spare him. He's good, he's worked on The CW before, and he's very easy on the eyes. Also, my soul needs this.

Why he wouldn't take it: He's busy writing TVD fan fiction and/or returning to the show full-time now that it's exploring The Other Side.

thekaitling:list:who-would-you-cast-as-the-flash

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

106 Comments
Comments (106)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
No, I want Wally West! Also, Rosenbaum is the VOICE for a lot of the JL movies as Flash....
The kid that played Bart/Impulse in Smallville would be good!! He did a great job
Flag
How about Shane West
Flag
Chris Pine... =)
Flag
Of the six actors, I vote for Michael Rosenbaum... to be frank he is never too fantastic in portraying Lex Luthor in smallville, it would awesome to see him as the Flash cos he's really that funny in person and made a perfect voice actor as Flash in Justice League Unlimited.. as for Devon Sawa, I just don't find anyway on how he could become Flash, he's not funny, not quick and not much entertainer as Michael Rosenbaum... Justin Hartley could also make a good actor, but it would not suit him cos he already played before as the green arrow so it wouldn't be much entertainment to see him playing the Flash (better for him as Green arrow than Flash)... the other 3 crew i do not know who the heck they are! kinda look slow and idle, no offense. But most of all, the one person that know the Flash better than this guys is: Michael Rosenbaum and we all know why. He bring the most entertainment show in superhero world.
Flag
no Justin hartley pliz, when are people going to ever learn or let go. He wasnt cast in a Green Arrow show but someone else. He has played Aquaman and Green Arow, he is not going to be allowed to play Flash too. Having blonde hair does not give him a pass to insert himself in every Dc blonde superhero. Can we stop talking about Hartley pliz and go for more realistic options. And no to the Lex guy, too late too typecast, same with Hartley having been GA, they need someone fresh to superheroes. I think out of the choices there, Devon Sawa has potential as Barry/Flash. with nikita finishing and he has expressed interest in playing a superhero before, he should give it a shot and audition.
My other choices are Ryan Mcpartlin (chuck), travis van winkle (hart of dixie), Chad michael murray. Time to bring him home. The spin off would benefit and be more suited for a well known actor imo.
Flag
Scott Speedman
Flag
Mark Walhberg would fit as THE FLASH
Flag
Well the Flash loves saving women and flirting, Walhberg just likes abusing them and then making them like it.
Flag
Go against the grain. Make the Flash a woman.
Flag
my choice would be Joel Gretsh from V or Jaime Bamber from L&O UK and Battlestar Galactica
Flag
Eric Christian Olsen would make a good flash. right balance of serious and fun. old for the cw and on NCIS LA.
Flag
The Flash role needs to be filled by someone funny... not only funny but very quick wit. Hiring someone who simply looks the part will end up with a pretty crappy Flash. Maybe someone like Jeff Dye or another actor with some form of solid comedy background.
Flag
You're used to Wally West (3rd Flash) and Bart Allen (Impulse). Both speedsters are quick wit. Barry Allen is much more cerebral, and conservative. There has been 4 Flash. The 2nd and 3rd Flash are the most well known, and many individuals grew up with Wally West as their Flash. Barry Allen was Flash continuously for 29 years, and was killed in 1985. Wally West took over as Flash continuously for over 24 years. In 2009, they brought back Barry Allen from the dead, and there was a slight confusion as to who would be the main Flash. As DC rebooted, they benched Wally West, choosing to use Bart Allen as Kid Flash instead. Wally is still benched, despite acrimony from fans.

On a side note, Donna Troy, the 1st Wonder Girl, is also benched.
Flag
Since when has Barry Allen been funny and quick-witted? Most of the time in the comics, he's been presented as Mr. Conservative with a crew cut. The blurb said The Flash, not Impulse.
Flag
Then my vote would definitely go to Ryan Hansen…! He's got the looks, the physique and the wit, don't you think…?!
Flag
I think Devon Sawa is a bit too old and doesn't "look right" in a way...

Justin Hartley would be my choice, but since he might be busy on Revenge there isn't a good chance it will be him. Maybe if he doesn't have too many scenes on Revenge...

None of the others seem right IMO. I wouldnt choose any of them.
Flag
Let's put some more names ON the table : a)PARKER YOUNG (SUBURGATORY), b)BENJAMIN STONE (THE NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU), c)AUSTIN BUTLER (THE CARRIE DIARIES), d)ALEX PETTYFER (BEASTLY), e)FREDDIE STROMA (PITCH PERFECT), f)CHRIS HEMSWORTH (THOR) g)LIAM HEMSWORTH (LAST SONG) h)KELLAN LUTZ (TWILIGHT)....
Flag
A bit of a surprise that Devon Sawa has gotten so many votes. I wonder why people are so fascinated with him. I haven't got any good suggestions myself, at least ones that would be realistically possible considering actors' schedules, but from this list I would choose Rosenbaum. He is a comic book fan and has the look to play The Flash. One problem though is that he is already 41 years old. (I know, shocker, right?) So is Gabriel Mann too, by the way. I would assume that they want someone who is younger.
Flag
I voted for Sawa because he looks more like flash, than all others from list. But actually no one from list looks like the Flash. Young Micheal C. Hall would look like flash or Liam Mcintire, yelling I am Flash. :D
Flag
You most likely are not a lady in her late 20's or 30 something or else you would get it ;)
Flag
Good point. I'm neither a lady, gay or bisexual, so there's obviously a part of human experience I'm missing out on. But I wasn't wondering about why people find Sawa himself interesting, he is after all an attractive man. What I meant was that why has Sawa been singled out from the group as a recipient of so many votes? If we judge them purely based on level of attractiveness, then aren't the other five men on the list yummy too? I just thought that the votes would have been divided more equally between them. Is Sawa really that much above the rest? Or should I just let this one go, and accept the fact that there are some things about men I cannot understand?
Flag
Oh I don't know maybe because he actually physically looks very much like a potential Barry/Flash and he plays an action character on the same network. Out of the choices above he seems the a lot better fit.

A lot better than suggesting smallvillle typecast cast, when we all know it ain't going to happen, just a waste of time.
Flag
*actors*
Flag
They'll probably cast some Abercrombie looking douche with zero screen presence. The only thing I'd like to see is a cameo by John Wesley Shipp.
Flag
They did cast a model to play the lead of Smallville. Writing was decent for the first season, but action was very green.
Flag
Jon Hamm. Because he's Jon Hamm. Even though I can't picture it. Jon Hamm.
Flag
I'm gonna say Aaron Paul.
Flag
You know, I feel like EVERYONE has sent letters/tweets to Julie begging to bring Matt Davis back (RIP Alaric) It is necessary, BUT, if it was entirely my decision, based on abs and the fact that they breathe, I'd choose TAYLOR KINNEY, who's also not a stranger to The CW and its super secret casting formula.
Flag
Michael Rosenbaum would be good since he knows the character. As stated below he voiced the Wally West version in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. He also voiced the Barry Allen version, the one most likely to be in the series, in Justice League: Doom

Another actor that may work is Eric Johnson. He has experience in comic books or sci-fi series from his time on Smallville and Flash Gordon. Of course he is on Rookie Blue which seems to be going strong.

The Flash tends to be more upbeat and confident than other characters, at least in the Wally West version and the pre new 52 version of Barry Allen. He also tends to be a bit cocky and chatty, using fast quips while battling enemies. The actor who plays him has to be able to display these traits. It has to be someone who can display charisma even while in costume.
Flag
Yeah, if I had to suggest someone from smallville it would be Eric Johnson, he only was in smallville for one season and a minor character. Physically he fits the character.
Flag
Michael Rosenbaum would be awesome if only for the fact that he's the voice of the flash in the Justice League cartoon.
Flag
If Gabriel Mann gets the job then Justin Hartley will be out of work again anyway. Revenge without Nolan Ross will be even worse than the first three quarters of season two - and that was really bad.

This new series could be just the opportunity for a seasoned veteran to make a glorious comeback. Drum roll please....

Henry Winkler!

Yes I realise that there may be some down sides, he'd have to die his hair for instance; and lately he's been taking more comical roles so he'll need to dig deep to find his dramatic centre; and yes, he may insist on some shark-related story lines, but those are only minor negatives. Just imagine The Flash in a leather jacket for a moment. see what I mean?
Flag
Maybe Jay Garrick. He was the Flash during WWII...
Flag
Jim Parsons, it can only be Jim Parsons!
Flag
Devon Sawa is good...but now that you've mentioned Gabriel Mann, he kinda looks perfect for Flash, I mean both are blonde, have similar hair, Flash is quite skinny actually and is extremely funny, & Mann has perfect punchline delivery!
Flag
Like a Batman/Superman movie a couple of years after already rebooting the Superman franchise for a THIRD TIME this just shows the desperation for the pandering, moneygrubbing , suits to have another hit b/c they obviousely have no fresh ideas! Just give it up already CWB/DC PLZ. Its like like milking 1 cow dry, only a month later to make a new farm & saying the cow is the same and begin to milk that one dry (rinse&repeat the dumb masses will eat any garbage we serve them up on a fancy plate) the reviewer even sees the B.S. the CWB serves up with only GREEK GODS on their cast rosters! I.e. Gorgouse caucasians. In 2013 how about trying something even original and cast someone unnexpected whoever that may be, but I have a better chance of getting 50 acres & a mule. To answer the polls question though Micheal Rosenbaum! He has already voiced the Flash in the cartoons and has shown he has range. Its just too bad the CWB/DC treat its somewhat talented actors like meat on an essembly line, or cartoons to be redrawn and rewritten every year like the DC ANIMATED UNIVERSE is. Hey if it makes money, then who cares about overexposure/saturation or lack of quality rite? Now excuse me GRUNDY GO WATCH FLASHPOINT MOOFIE NOW !
More+
Flag
How about Ryan McPartlin (Captain Awesome)? :D Just to throw another name into the mix
Flag
He looks the part. He's works for the WB before. He's played a doctor before on Chuck, and this Flash is supposed to be a medical examiner. Plus, he has the body type for it. Maybe they could get Sarah Lancaster to play Iris West. Would be awesome if they did a Chuck reunion on that show.
Flag
Devon Sawa is a good pick :)
Flag
Neil Patrick Harris would make a great Flash
Flag
Voiced in Justice League New Frontier.
Flag
Not Justin Hartley because he's guest starring on revenge and i'm hoping he'll become a regular. Also not gabriel mann because I want him to stay on revenge.

I'd watch if it was Davon Sawa or Zach Gilford
Flag
AHH Zach Gilford! Yes! please save him.
Flag
It would have to be one of the following; Zach Gilford, Matt Davis or Gabriel Mann. solely because non of these have already featured In a drama which contained a character of ' the flash' e.g. Smallville. So if one of the other two were chosen it would create confusion between Smallville fan fanatics.
Flag
Sorry for your soul, but I'm going for Devon Sawa. I did love the Nolan boxing scene, made my morning!
Flag
I would watch for Daniel Sharman, he had some physical training to play a werewolf and fight scenes and would fit in a spandex combi, a good base of fangirls (and fanboys too), and he'll be nice as a main character and not only the "faire-valoir" of the hero....
Flag
And on Teen Wolf his dad was played by John Wesley Shipp who was the flash in the earlier series.
Flag
I wonder if the writer of this article is aware that Rosenbaum played Flash in the Justice League cartoon.
Flag
I was just about to comment this!
Flag
I was wondering the same thing. I guess not since he didn't mention it.
Flag
@Bendylegsnick: lol!

@Athanatos173: yeah, apparently not... How long did the Justice League cartoon last? Four seasons? Five?.. Either way, I think Rosenbaum's just about the best flash one could ask for.
Flag
I just love this!
Flag
I would watch Mann in anything.
Flag
Something tells me none of the above... They will unearth some hunky guy perfect for the role...and because it is CW, he will be devastatingly pretty, with the washboard abs torso that looks good on the costume and we will love him..
Flag
Devon Sawa is the best fit IMO but please someone give a good role to Michael Rosenbaum. He was one of the best things in Smallville and the best thing of that mediocre Christian Slater comedy Breaking In - His character was hilarious and was so unlike his Smallville Lex Luthor that initially I didn't even recognise him
Flag
The guy from Spartacus. Liam Mcintire.

Also Jensen Ackles from Supernatural has the look and charm for this role., that's if Supernatural finishes any time soon.
Flag
Matt Davis is a bit older to play Flash IMO.
Flag
Neither Gabriel Mann or Adam Brody have the right body type.

Flag
I would love to see Benjamin Stone (Alec on The Nine Lives of Chloe King) get his own series.
Flag
ADAM BRODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Any of the 1st four! But I'd be okay with casting The Flash as a brunette: Jesse Metcalfe, Taylor Lautner (I haven't quite given up that they're just pretty boys)...or even say, Brendan Fehr! [A slightly more older, more parental badass father figure Oliver could meet/learn from.] If TO fails completely....Charles Michael Davis!!
[LUV Matt Davis, but not as The Flash. TVD and the "ghost" storylines they can do there, could keep him busy enough until something better comes along.]
Flag
john Wesley shipp as max mercury. that should be a give in. building off the past.
Flag
Or Jay Garrick, the Golden Age Flash.
Flag
Craig Horner ! Enough said!
Flag
Hey how about a black, asian or hispanic person?
Flag
Because The Flash is neither black, Asian, or Hispanic?
Flag
That's really not a reason give Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.
Flag
Which I disagree with. Also, Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.
Flag
Thank you! I say this as a white guy: doesn't the CW already have enough pretty white people?
Flag
Sure... but you can't cast a black/Asian/whatever person as a character that IS white... Oliver's sidekick is black... why isn't that good enough? Besides, they could make a new superhero that was because there aren't a lot that is.
Flag
The character doesn't need to be white... whiteness isn't a core part of the character, any more than eye color. Would you argue that whoever is cast has to have the same eye color as the comic book?
Flag
Do you even watch the CW? Unless you are at least 50% white and 100% pretty you don't get to audition.
Flag
I watch too much of the CW probably, but it's my dream... today a minority, tomorrow... someone without six-pack abs!
Flag
Why not have Kyle Gallner reprise his role from Smallville. He was good enough as Bart Allen, although they could change his role to either Barry Allen or Wally West for the new series.
Flag
I don't like any of them. The Flash should be someone that's a fresh face. In terms of body type, it needs to be someone skinny, but fit. In terms of superheroes, the Flash has to have the body type for swim polo, or track. Lots of lean muscle mass. Superman has the body type of a quarterback, while Batman has the body type of a boxer. Several of the above are a little too buff for Flash. They need to be someone that could play Spiderman.

Michael Rosenbaum also voiced the Flash in the Justice League cartoon, and DCAU projects. It'll be great if they get him to guest star as a young Jay Garrick in some flashback.

I'm assuming this Flash will be Barry Allen, as he's a little more cerebral, and less comedic. However, I will be happily surprised if it's Wally West. He'll be the only version of Wally West in production.

Honestly, I'm kind of excited but also saddened by this news. It's cool to see another series based on a great comic hero, but it's somewhat sad because it means it's less likely for there to be a movie based on him. Yes, Smallville and Superman Returns both happened, but the Flash is not as big of a commodity as Superman.
More+
Flag
it Will be Barry Allen..they have already "confirmed" that..Something that made me very very happy.
Flag
Donald Glover. He's not busy with community anymore and there was that time he was spiderman
Flag
None of them have my vote.

I like Hartley, but no, he's not Flash material. Rosenbaum has voiced the Flash, but usually the "Wally West" version. None of these actors scream Barry Allen to me.

The again, I do recall the 90s rendition of Flash on TV, which I enjoyed and actually have on DVD.

But for now, yeah to let's bring the Flash on TV, and nay to any of the proposed actors in this column.

That being said, I do find it weird that the character would be introduced in the Arrow show, since I was lead to believe that there would be NO super-powers in the show.

Still, if DC could be smart and tie-in this Arrow to the Man of Steel universe, that would be pretty slick.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members