An Arrow Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW
Hail, hail, the gang's all here.

Do you remember that episode of Leverage where the old team was sidelined so that they could bring in a new team of old familiar faces? Well, hey, welcome to "Missing". Adrian and Oliver even talk about how Adrian has "leverage" on Oliver.

It's also probably the plot of several dozen comic book issues at DC alone. "Oh nose. The Justice League is down. I, Batman, must recruit Joker and Two-Face to take on the bad guys!"

Rene and Dinah go missing and never show up. Because I guess they couldn't afford to pay Rick Gonzalez and Juliana Harkavy to show up for the episode with all the other very special Guest Stars (and a couple of Special Guest Stars) that they had to pay. This leads to a weird plothole since we're supposed to assume Adrian abducted them, but they're not with the others at the end when all of the prisoners are taken Lian Yu.

Hello... hello... hello!

The plot? Well, after Oliver celebrates his birthday, complete with a Green Arrow cake that Felicity had to tell the baker was for a six-year-old, Curtis gets abducted at Dinah's apartment. Oliver soon catches on that this is Adrian's back-up plan, or maybe his original plan. He puts Thea and Quentin into an ARGUS safehouse, but non-entity Artemis and Black Siren break in and capture them. There's a bit of byplay about Quentin having trouble accepting that Black Canary isn't his Laurel. And we're supposed to believe that she's concerned about him, but the creative team doesn't go into it.

Katie Cassidy's season six show-star gig keeps the black lipstick suppliers of Vancouver in business.

Oliver tells Diggle and Felicity to leave the city. Somehow the League of Assassins catches up to them on the road. An assassin slashes the side of the car, which causes it to go off the road, hit a truck, and explode like it's made out of solid gasoline. Despite that, Felicity and Diggle crawl out of the wreckage relatively unharmed and the League captures them.

You'll believe a person can survive this.

Meanwhile, Malcolm shows up to help Oliver get Thea back. Adrian's been making, "Let me go and your friends will be safe" noises all episode long. Oliver doesn't crack until Team Adrian sends him video of their other captive: William. This causes Oliver to break. He and Malcolm help Adrian escape. Oliver gets all plaintive-looking and asks Oliver why he's threatening a child. Adrian points out that Oliver brought Adrian's wife into the whole mess, points out that he hasn’t escaped yet so nyah-nah-nah, and Oliver hast to let him go.

Adrian flies to Lian Yu with his captives. Minus Rene and Dinah, so did Adrian's people capture them or not? Anyhoo, Oliver tracks his flight, brings in Nyssa, and then he, Nyssa, and Malcolm fly to Lian Yu. Oliver needs allies so he goes to the ARGUS prison and asks Slade Wilson for help.

Putting the "magnificent" in "Magnificent Bastard"

Mix this in with flashbacks of Konstantin injecting Oliver with some kind of psychological torment drug. Oliver relives all of his physical and mental pain, and decides to off himself with a little encouragement from a hallucinatory Yao Fei (Byron Mann, coming back as well). But then a hallucinatory Laurel comes in and tells Oliver that if he kills himself, Sara and Robert will have died for nothing. Which makes sense in context, but still seems a bit silly given that Sara didn't really die. Or she died and came back. After not really dying. Or... something. I've lost track.

So what happened to the Earth-2 Sara Lance, anyway?

"Missing" is a kind of strange episode. It almost seems like it should have been the hundredth episode. It's crammed full of Very Special faces: Slade, Yao Fei, Black Siren, Nyssa, Malcolm. Heck, there are more Very Special stars then there were in the hundredth episode. And none of them are CGI.

And yet it's a little low-budget. There's no Rene, no Dinah. We get several mentions of Talia but apparently they couldn't afford Lexa Doig, either. I suppose that means we won't get Ragman back, either. Yes, it would be a crowded episode. But it feels like they're pushing aside the newbies to make room for the old hands. And why wouldn't Adrian have Rory abducted as well? Or Roy? Or Susan? I guess once you're away from Oliver, you just don't count anymore as far as Adrian is concerned.

As for the ongoing storyline, Adrian's scheme is still as convoluted and nonsensical as ever. Even he points out that if Oliver isn't going to carry out his threats to kill Adrian, Oliver has no leverage. So now Oliver is saying that he'll kill Adrian (or at least threatening to do it), and Adrian doesn't believe him. But I thought Adrian's belief system was predicated on Oliver being a killer.

Because ARGUS let me bring a gun in, that's why. Hey, I'm interrogating you!

Instead, Adrian seems to be back to his "If I make enough of your friends suffer, Oliver, then you'll break." But then... he doesn't kill anyone. He's using his captives as leverage to get Oliver to Lian Yu. Why doesn't Adrian just kill them and watch as Oliver breaks. And breaks. And breaks.

It's a weird juxtaposition of "I want you to realize you're a killer" and "I want you to realize that that your friends suffer for your sins." And "I want to have a really impressive season-finale battle where we can dig out a lot of past guest stars on both sides."

Josh Segarra, hanging out in the wilds of Vancouver.

Plus, if Oliver doesn't kill Adrian at the end, either a) Adrian accidentally gets killed somehow, b) he kills himself when he realizes that his plans have failed, or c) he ends up imprisoned with the other Island of Misfit Super-Villain prisoners. But if Oliver does kill him, that seems to throw away the whole redemption arc of the season. The creative team spends 22 episodes telling us that Oliver has moved beyond his old homicidal ways... just to have him kill Adrian. Ugh.

Plus, there's little subplots going on that don't get much play in all the rush-rush-rush to the finale. For instance, the Black Siren/Quentin relationship. Quentin goes from "The whole parallel Earths thing is crazy" to "Ha, you're not really my daughter!" so fast some viewers will get windburn. Thea is still pining over her own evil issues. Oliver and Felicity throw some lingering gazes at each other. We hear about Rene's daughter-custody situation , but maybe Adrian abducted him and maybe he didn't. Who knows?

Five years into the show, there's no really bad performances. Stephen Amell and Paul Blackthorne are solid as always. Josh Segarra is as good as he's ever been. John Barrowman is... John Barrowman, with all the snark that Malcolm can muster. I particularly liked his "It takes a special kind of idiot to get dumber" bit to Oliver. Dolph Lundgren struts and preens like a professional wrestler, and makes the classic blunder of giving the hero a gun with one bullet and just figuring he'll shoot himself. But oh well, we already know that Oliver didn't die five years ago.

So "Missing" set up the finale and was decent enough in its own right, but not great except for the actor performances. It shoved away the new kids on the block to bring back the old familiar faces. Personally, I'd rather see Mr. Terrific than blank-faced Artemis. And where is Flash? Yeah, he's busy (not) trying to save Iris. But he's got superspeed. Run in, clean out Lian Yu, run back to Central City. Ten seconds, tops. But oh well.

I left my face-moving equipment around here somewhere...

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
18 Comments
Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 25, 2017
Speaking of Missing, that's NOT the name of this episode. It is LIAN YU. You have NO business commenting on this show because you are not even paying attention to the most basic of details. And TV.com allows this? I get that reviews are by their nature subjective, but this is absurd. This is how hacks work. I am very disappointed.
Goodbye forever.

Flag
May 25, 2017
Ummm, last week's S05E22 on 5/17 was "MIssing". This week's S05E23 on 5/24 was "Lian Yu". I think you have them confused. The review for "Lian Yu" is here.

You might want to pay attention to those basic details...

Regardless, TV.com doesn't "allow" anything that I'm aware of. It doesn't "allow" comment posters to put up erroneous information, either.
Flag
May 25, 2017
Rene and Dinah were in this episode. Quentin made a very big deal about here. And somehow Rene kicked some ninja ass. Sounds like you went into this episode determined to not like it. While the buzz around the 'Net is this is one of Arrow's very best episodes. If you don't like the show, why are you reviewing it?
Flag
May 25, 2017
FYI, to answer your question of "why", I write reviews of shows I watch (time permitting) primarily because a) no one else is reviewing, b) to give fans of the shows a place to gather, and c) to get discussion rolling. Getting episodes confused and running off is, admittedly not discussion. But oh well.

The easiest way to get me to stop writing reviews for a show is for someone else to do so. Although if you want to take it on, it would help if you know what episodes are airing on what dates. :)

Liking or disliking a show has nothing to do with whether I review it. In fact, it would suggest bias if it influenced me.
Flag
May 25, 2017
Ummm, Rene and Dinah were in the next episode. They weren't in this one. Nor were the actors credited for this episode.

I haven't seen any reviewers saying that "MIssing" was one of Arrow's very best episodes. Are you sure you're not thinking of "Lian Yu"?

Before a given episode airs, I don't determine if I like it or not. You seem to be suggesting that I make that determination beforehand and base whether I review or not on that determination. Weird.
Flag
May 25, 2017
This comment has been removed.
Flag
May 20, 2017
I'm shocked you haven't given up on this POS site Gislef - LTNS. I clearly did. Those bastards won. Oh well - I'm off on various sites around the internet discussing great shows like this and 12 Monkeys - hope to see you around - sadly for me, it just won't be here. Thanks alot CBS - worst tv corporation EVER. Great review as usual though Gislef!
Flag
May 19, 2017
Wild Dog, Black Canary and Oliver's son could be on the island, Promethus may have had them taken to the Island by Talia.

Could be in a cave or somewhere else, having them all together makes it easier to rescue them, so it could be that having them apart is what's going on.

Don't forget, Wild Dog missed his court appointment last episode, so, obviously, he didn't miss it on purpose, he was kidnapped.

Anyways it's a cliff hanger episode leading to this season's finale. Such episodes are better viewed together back-to-back.

It wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining. Why would John drive into a truck, that made very little sense, a ramming car against blades... Should have been able to drive around that.. Well, you would think....

Very happy to see that Deathstroke will be back. As for Black Siren, I have a feeling she will jump ship and will be a key factor in the end for Oliver to win.

Anyways, I have enjoyed the episode and really do look forward to the ending.

And in a way, this will not only conclude the present day story with Prometheus, but will also end the entire 'Arrow' origin.

This means that next season, no more flash back stories.

More+
Flag
May 19, 2017
Although judging from the previews (I didn't get to see them until they ran them after Supernatural, due to weather pre-emptions Wednesday night in my area), Dinah/Harkavy will be in next week's finale, fighting Black Siren.
Flag
May 19, 2017
Actually, I'd suspect that Rene missed the hearing just because he wanted to miss the hearing. It wouldn't surprise me if they saved that as a loop to throw at us. But maybe that's just me.

I'm sure at least William is on the island. And I'm sure that they could be on the island tucked away somewhere. But I suspect that Rene and Dinah won't show up next week. For one thing, like I noted, next week's episode is already pretty stuffed to the killer and there are at least two more people to show up.

it's just kind of weak sauce to have Adrian (probably) say they're on the island, and not actually show them. It's not like they've been shy about having Gonzales and Harkavy appear for pretty much no reason just because they're contractually signed for X number of episodes.
Flag
May 18, 2017
In several episodes Malcolm was easily defeated by Oliver, Nyssa, Sara, and eve Jax; on this one he is a fearsome deadly warrior again. I don't understand the writer.
Flag
May 18, 2017
Solid Leverage reference, though I think you could have gotten away with the classic Maverick episode 'Shady Deal at Sunny Acres'.

Three times now, including the episode when it happened, they've mentioned the instance of Curtis dosing Felicity with tracking nananites and no one has has mentioned how completely unacceptable that was. It's easy to go down the rabbit hole of all things relating to "consent". I don't wish to do that here but something needed to be said.

As much as I don't care for Laurel or Katie, credit where it's due, the woman can pull off tight black leather with the best of them.

I recently decided to re-watch of all my favorite shows from my youth(most did not hold up to memory, Xena did!) and I just finished Andromeda. I'm about 90% sure that the only reason Dylan rebuilt the Commonwealth was so he would have an authority figure to rebel against. I'm equally certain that ARGUS only exist so that villains can display the degree of their badassery. What in some circles is known as The Worf Effect.

As for the episode as a whole..... hmm, well..... at least we got to see Nyssa.
More+
Flag
May 18, 2017
Maverick had a lot of buddies, and they all come together to help him out in "Shady Acres," but I'm not sure I'd consider them a "team" in the same way that Leverage or Arrow does.

Now, if they were all thrown in jail and Bret had to gather a new team of people that had all been on the show before...
Flag
May 18, 2017
Fair enough
Flag
Follow this Show
Members