An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Anyone who has been watching season 2 of Arrow can't have missed all the references to S.T.A.R. Labs that have been airing on the local news - initially I thought that it would just be a way of introducing The Flash, but what if it is something more?

And yes, this is going to get nerdy, so if comic book references annoy you - stop reading now.

Ok, are they gone......good.

Its been speculated that DC is hoping to go down the MARVEL route and establish a multi format franchise for its various properties, and some see Arrow as the beach head for the TV arm of this plan. So far its done a good job of introducing human characters, both heroes and villains - but what about the meta humans?

Well I think S.T.A.R. Labs is as good an opportunity as DC could wish for - an accident at a big laboratory! Multiple casualties, developing multiple powers!

But as there are so many possibilities, I am going to limit myself to the possible impact on the Arrow universe, so any characters tied to either The Outsiders or JLA could be included - as Ollie has been a member of both groups

HEROES -

We already have a Black Canary and possible Speedy/Red Arrow (Roy Harper). Its been widely publicized that The Flash will be introduced, but why stop there? What follows is a list of possible heroes that could be tied to a S.T.A.R. Labs incident -

Cyborg - after The Flash, Cyborg would be the obvious choice for a hero made via a lab accident. He is present in most of the current formats. Present in the comics, TV cartoons and the animated movies. He is a prominent member of Young Justice and the JLA.

The Atom - Ray Palmer is a scientist, so he is a possibility. An accident at S.T.A.R. labs could be used to explain how he makes the breakthrough in his size changing experiments.

Metamorpho - THAT TRUCK! As he already has a small tie in to Arrow - via the chemical factory in the Dollmaker episode - this is a bigger possibility than most. So be on the lookout to see or hear the name Rex Mason in the Arrow continuity.

Fusion - couldn't get a pic for this one. An energy being comprised of Ed and Beth Wilder, whose metagenes were activated by a radiation accident in lab 9 at S.T.A.R. labs

Deadzone - no pic either. A navy seal who get fused with combat armor at.....S.T.A.R. labs

And the farthest possibility =

Plastic Man - I know a lot people would sh*t on this idea, and it might get tiresome after a while - but an insane shape shifting skeeze would be funny. This will probably never happen...but I can dream!

I'll cover villain possibilities in a couple of days time.

Were there any DC heroes I missed that has an origin story that could tie into a S.T.A.R. labs accident?
Comments (57)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
They could do Beast Boy, Blue Beadle and idk wat if they just made up their own superhuman person from their own mind
Flag
Am I the only one against the idea of STAR Labs and "super"heros in regards to Arrow. I feel it just throws off the entire dynamic of the show. I like how they've given plausible substitutes to their comic counter parts (vertigo as a drug instead of hypnotic power, technological canary cry) Why go this route if you're going to give super powers to other beings. I just cant see super powers working well within the Arrow story-structure.
Flag
I somewhat agree. Though I am eager to see a new Flash series, it doesn't need to be connected to the Arrow storyline. It will change the dynamics of the Arrow series entirely to introduce superhuman powers. I like Arrow as more of a real world version of the comics that makes them somewhat more plausible. A version of Batman could easily work in this universe, but the Flash will be harder to fit. There is no reason for many of the changes they made to various characters to make them believable if they are going to introduce superpowers anyway.
Flag
I think the superpowers and super-powered hero/villians will be largely based/seen on the Flash side of the house. Of course its totally up to the creative team to how they move forward with a world in which superpowers exist. I'm anxious to see how they balance it.

I personally don't think it has to change Arrow much. I've been a long time regular reader of Green Arrow comics from the Grell days through the Winick days and while most of that time Ollie existed in a "metahuman" world it really didn't dictate that much of the comic space. There was a more metahuman presence month to month then Arrow has been week to week but aside from the large cross over event story-lines Ollie was not battling aliens and god-like meta humans in every issue.

I've commented on this elsewhere but a notch or two up from the Nolan-verse idea of comic book metahumans but way down from the level 11 that was Smallvile is a good place for Arrow to exist I think.
Flag
I think my biggest fear, this coming from a smallville fan, is that somewhere during an arrow action scene were going to get either a red a yellow blur or a smallville-esque fast motion Grant Gustin
Flag
Well I think that is going to happen. Since producers have stated he will be fully costumed. There's no hiding his powers. I think the biggest test will be how they have people like Ollie, Dig, Felicity, and possibly Quentin Lance deal with that realization. As long as they do so honestly and painted in the realism they've established. I think it could work.

They've gone to great lengths to expose the Arrow characters and the audience week after week this season to the upcoming Keystone collider project and all the doomsday scenarios. The worlds fastest man resulting from that kind of softens the landing there. The characters will be shocked, but the logic leaps won't have to be so far as to stretch credulity.

Like I said I think the Nolan-verse worked too hard to keep meta-humans out and I hope they find a good balance in Arrow.
Flag
captain atom, firestorm, red tornado, power girl the c one of supergirl
Flag
Well if the studio is lax with the back-story, they can tie just about any meta-human in this show's universe to Star Labs. Instead of relying on the comic-canon they can just say "Because... Star Labs" for any of the freak-accident heroes and villains.

Personally I think they might go old-school like Citizen Steel / Commander Steel / etc or any number of lesser-known guys. But I think they should not do someone too strong, like Firestorm / Captain Atom / etc.
Flag
I think the problem with Firestorm etc isn't that they are too strong, it's how much of the FX's budget they'd burn through to do them even half right.,
Flag
I don't know how they're going to do Flash in Arrow nevertheless every-one else you mentioned. Every character they've introduced on Arrow so far are very human. No super powers. Comic book powers replaced by technology, (Black Canary's screamer for e.g. and Vertigo).

Cyborg is more likely but hey it's comic books anything can happen.
Flag
Flash will be turning up soon - a guy who used to be on Glee was cast.
I Think Cyborg is most likely due to his age - he fits into the CW's casting bracket
Flag
I don't know much about DC Comics but my first reaction was to wonder how The CW could possibly cope with any more comic book based TV series. I've been looking at who owns The CW and it's a 50/50 split between CBS and Warner Bros. (a subsidiary of TimeWarner, who also own DC Comics). You see, my brain automatically jumped from The Flash, over the possible spin-off characters, straight to an Agent's of SHIELD style show (JLA perhaps, or even based around STAR Labs?). Then I considered the financial implications of broadcasting that show on The CW, rather than the greater-revenue-generating "big four". I suppose there is a case for CBS to show a JLA based series but would it fit in with the rest of the CBS schedule? With Person of Interest and the up coming Intelligence both loosely falling into the Sci-Fi category maybe a case could be made to give JLA a try - if it doesn't work transfer it over to The CW.

Anyway, I digress, is Cyborg the same character as John Corben who was played by Brian Austin Green in Smallville? I think he could probably work on Arrow, but unless they some how tweak the idea of The Atom I just can't see a 6-inch character running around The Glades fighting drug smugglers ;)

Thanks for this anyway, I've never read any of the comics so I know very little about the universe in which these characters reside (and often get them confused with the Marvel universe). It's post's like this that help me stay interested in the show.
More+
Flag
No, Cyborg is a hero usually associated with the Teen Titans. A freak accident just about killed him and his father (a brilliant scientist) used advanced tech to replace his lost body-mass with limbs and such. I've enjoyed his parts in the ensemble pieces but haven't read too much of his (OLD) solo issues
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Victor_Stone_(New_Earth)

John Corben was one of Superman's villains, a cyborg with a kryptonite heart.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Corben_(New_Earth)
Flag
If they were thinking of a AoS style show then there are a couple of groups that are a better fit than the JLA; Checkmate, Task Force X & of course A.R.G.U.S. which has already appeared in Arrow a couple of times
Flag
Anyway, I digress, is Cyborg the same character as John Corben who was played by Brian Austin Green in Smallville?

No he was playing Metallo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallo
Flag
Lets see heroes that could adjusted to have a STAR Labs background
Captain Atom, Bombshell, Breach, Atom (Earth2\Golden Age), Atom Smasher, Max Merciry,Jesse Quick, Johnny B. Quick, Firestorm, Firehawk, Damage...
Flag
As far as I know, that covers the heroes, but I have been out of comics for awhile. The list of villains is huge, my only problem being that most of them can clean Green Arrows clock without even breaking a sweat; Which begs the question, Why introduce them on this show? And speaking of the Question, there is someone I would like to see show up and he doesn't require Star Labs.
Flag
The list of villains could be huge - but I'm going to do the same sort of process. Links to Green Arrow, S.T.A.R. Labs and groups Arrow is associated with.
So I'm not counting aliens, magical beings or groups that couldn't be explained by an incident at S.T.A.R. Labs.
I would also freely admit that I may miss some - whether intentionally or not.

While The Question could be included, because there was a scientist involved in his "disguise" originally, but in the New 52 reboot, he has ties to magic which ruled him out.

Flag
Just saw this article online, they are developing an Hourman script:
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/cw-clocks-dc-comics-hourman-170000556.html
Flag
I my main concern is how far they power up the villains and how they are written. The Green Lantern movie was so bad and it wasn't because of Ryan Reynolds, it was the writing. Also, as I said the villain or level of power. Livewire at a level to fight Superman would make short work of an ordinary human.
Flag
I always thought of Plastic Man as a joke, horrible outfit and all, bleah. However I've always loved Elongated Man, Ralph Dibny. He acquires his elasticity via a Gingold Extract but that could easily be morphed into a "lab accident". I've always thought he was a pretty respectable secondary character. He's hooked up with Batman, Flash, and the JLA variously over the years so he could fit in well into the new Flash continuity, and Arrow by association. He also has a well established romance with his wife Sue Dibny. They've proven to be pretty enduring couple over the years in the comics. To a very effective and tragic circumstance in the Identity Crisis storyline several years ago. My vote is EM.

I'd also like to see Booster Gold show up somewhere sometime. An exploding particle accelerator could open a wormhole to the future sucking Booster back in time. He's not super-powered per say so he could fit in on Arrow or Flash as a glory seeking huckster/con-man type with some crazy futuristic gizmos. In Season 1 of Arrow they mentioned Ted Kord's name. He's DC's Blue Beetle, also not superpowered. A tech savy tool wielding hero ala Batman. It would be fun to have some live-action Blue and Gold mayhem.
More+
Flag
I prefer PM because at times he is insane - properly insane.
I was thinking of including Beetle, but I wasn't sure of the continuity with regard to Ted Kord and the other Beetle - I would prefer the original Beetle and it would also mean no Reach storyline.
I was also trying to keep the list away from time travelers, magic or aliens - which is why I avoided characters like Booster, Martian Manhunter, Adam Strange, Captain Marvel etc.
Flag
I don't know much about the DC Universe but I always prefer to avoid time-travel with any TV series, except Doctor Who obviously, so that would be a good call. It always seems to f*ck things up in terms of continuity and consequence - just look at Heroes.
Flag
Time travel and alternate universe episode's tend to be a drag for me
Flag
Agreed. I don't think you would have to dwell on the time travel aspects of Booster much. He originates from the future but he doesn't go back and forth. Hes essentially stuck. Being a con-man/huckster type he could say hes from the future and leave it up to the characters to believe that or not.

Castle recently did a time travel episode. Not really paid attention to how people reacted to it, but I thought it was quirky and fun for a non-genre type show.

The biggest crutch time travel capable shows have is the non-consequential nature of time-travel. However Boosters would only have to inform his origin not necessarily an ongoing "superpower" capacity.
Flag
And by original Beetle you mean police officer Dan Garret? ;-)
Flag
The Dan Garret version could be interesting. My fondest era of DC was late 80s early 90s so I gotta go Ted Kord Beetle on this one. He's also the least alien or mystic of the 3 Beetles. Kord's traditionally been a inventor/crime fighter type.
Flag
A bit before my time - but I would even prefer him to the alien empowered version
Flag
the posibilities for star labs are pretty much endless, in Young Justice Superboy was created in star labs
Flag
Very nice idea's :)
Flag
Wait till you see the villains list ;-)
Flag
Ooh yeah and with this great team and actors / actresses behind Arow can imagine great performances and stuff to come :) Hope that Manu Bennett's char won't be removed soon after what happened to him at bombing.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members