An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW
Last time I covered the possible heroes that might turn up because of an incident at S.T.A.R. Labs, so now its time for the bad guys!

Annnnd once again, this is going to get nerdy, so if comic book references annoy you - stop reading now.

This will cover possible villains - ones whose backstory can be explained with by a lab accident, so aliens, time travelers, and anyone associated with magic are out (if their abilities could be explained via a lab accident feel free to use the comment section to explain your choice)

Obviously I am going to miss some, because there would be too many to list, so dont be offended if I miss a favorite - add them in the comments

I am going to focus on villains tied to Green Arrow and teams that he has been a part of,
so first we have...

Deathstroke AKA Slade Wilson - So far we have seen Slade on the Island with Oliver, but in the DC universe he is a metahuman (Known as Deathstroke The Terminator). His enhanced abilities (enhanced speed, strength and higher brain functions) could easily be explained via a lab accident.

Next...

Onomatopoeia - A serial killer who targets non-powered, vigilante superheroes. He earned his name because he imitates noises around him. It seems that he may be able to perfectly imitate these sounds but that has been left ambiguous - possibly an experiment gone wrong or a device like Black Canary's sonic gadget.

Brick AKA Daniel Brickwell, a Star City crime lord with superhuman durability and strength - he may turn up without powers in Arrow due to current storylines - rebuilding a broken city and political shenanigans.

Psimon AKA Dr. Simon Jones - A powerful psychic with telepathic and telekinetic powers received his powers while conducting an experiment. He is usually used as a mercenary so he would fit in with Arrow's current strategy (much like the way they used Bronze Tiger).

The Masters of Disaster - Any of this groups abilities could originate from a lab accident. Powers include Hydrokinesis, Cryokinesis, Aerokinesis and Aerokinesis. They tend to work as mercenaries and little is known of their origins.

Clayface AKA Various - There have been several versions of Clayface. His powers generally come from being chemically altered, giving him a malleable clay like body, which can regenerate body mass, change shape, size, density and shape-shift into any form he could think of, as well as superhuman strength, agility, stamina and durability.
He has crossed Green Arrows path a few times.

Blockbuster AKA Roland Desmond - A criminal mastermind with superhuman strength, stamina and durability, his abilities come from a steroid. He normally worked out of Bludhaven, but because Bludhaven has already been mentioned in Arrow, he is a possibility.

Dr. Arthur Light - Founder of The Fearsome Five, member of the Suicide Squad and foe to several DC hero's and groups. At one point he actually kidnapped Green Arrow, and has been allied with Merlyn and Deathstroke at certain points. As well as being a genius physicist, he has a mastery of light which includes photokinesis, invisibility, energy projection, flight and he can create force fields. It has also been revealed that Dr Arthur Light is a serial rapist - which may fit in with Arrow's grimier reality.

Captain Boomerang (II) aka Owen Mercer - Son of the original Captain Boomerang, as well as using boomerangs as weapons (i know its goofy), he also has bursts of super speed - and considering that they are introducing The Flash, he could be a possibility.

Mammoth and Shimmer AKA Bran and Selinda Flinders - Metahuman brother and sister. Mammoth has superhuman strength, durability and stamina. Shimmer has the ability to transmute any element or compound into another. They are enemies of the Teen Titans and Justice League.

Cupid AKA Carrie Cutter - Originally a special-ops soldier, she underwent experimentation with the military organization COBALT which gave her certain abilities (enhanced senses and vision) but drove her insane - so instead of COBALT, she could easily be at S.T.A.R. Labs. The fact that she become obsessed by Green Arrow makes her another possibility.

Poison Ivy AKA Dr Pamela Isley - Her physiology was changed after experiments by Dr Jason Woodrue, her touch became deadly, but now she was immune to all poisons, viruses, bacteria, and fungi. She also gained the ability to produce pheromones that she could use to seduce men into doing her bidding. She also has Chlorokinesis a connection to the plant world through a force called the Green. She is able to manipulate and animate plants and well as transmogrifying them into different forms.

Of course there is one villain who could easily be created via a lab accident:

But I would prefer he stuck with Batman.

There are a lot more villain possibilities and I have probably missed loads, so discuss them in the comments.
Comments (53)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i think the whole starlabs thing is going to open a connection to the speedforce and give flash his powers and i agree with liquidqoul13 slade will get his powers from japanese formula
Flag

Deathstroke is saved and turned into what he is with whatever super soldier formula is on the sub. With star labs i can see metamorpho and on the villain side i'd look more towards Flash villains, why because Barry Allen has already been confirmed to make an appearance.. giving him a bit of an origin change(infamously executed on all tv shows)... i can see him called in as a result of a Star lab experiment gone wrong (keeping him as a police forensic scientist on loan) do to his expertise in the subject .. while investigating/ inventorying all the chems recovered from star labs the accident occurs turning him into the Flash just in time to help stop whatever villain star labs created and the Arrow could not stop on his own
Flag
The Arrow series to me seems to be patterning itself after the Nolan Batman Universe to me. My guess would be future villains will not have superpowers or mutated in any way leading me to think Poison Ivy and Clayface are out of the picture. Deathstroke is a given cause of the storyline, but out of S.T.A.R Labs, I could see a Dr. Light and the Suicide Squad.
Flag
Well we know that there's at least one villian that STAR labs won't help create, Solomon Grundy even though an experiment gone wrong would be a possible explaination for him
Flag
Joker wouldn't want to be bothered with the Arrow--he's too easily pushed into breaking his somewhat shaky rules, and that's not nearly as fun as Batsy.

(Plus. all it'd take to unmask (and permanently shut down) the Arrow is one joker-sized fan and a live camera feed. Heck, Harley Quinn could pull that off without breaking a nail.)
Flag
As for Deathstroke, he will use the Japanese formula they are searching for on the island, I am 100% sure of it.
Flag
Most likely - and seeing as Amanda Waller was introduced and Deadshot is out and about, we may see a Suicide Squad
Flag
Yes, and since they know that Queen is the Arrow, they might pull him into some operations.
All in all, this show has many possibilities, and if they don't screw things up, it could easily last for 5+ seasons.
Flag
This show should stick with the obscure DC villains. The more famous and known ones have no place on this piss poor series. The way i see it, this show doesn't have the writing or the gravity to make any character they introduce a household name anyways. This show is all about shock value and jerking off fans who simply get off on actors in costumes and fight choreography as opposed to smart, intelligent nuanced writing that not only develop characters in an original way but contribute something to the DC world. The CW is not a vehicle for anything smart anyways.
Flag
Almost forgot to say, you are right, the show is so terrible that nothing in it is good enough to make it's way back into the main Green Arrow comic, not even Moria Queen or John Diggle.... Oh wait a second

Flag
How is Arrow "all about shock value"?
I think for the budget they make this show on, they have done a very good job and its a pretty good show.
In fact if you compare it to the bigger networks recent attempts at a superhero show, Arrow is head and shoulders above its peers - I'm not talking about S.H.I.E.L.D., but show like The Cape and Heroes
Flag
Be fair the first season of Heroes was pretty good, but the Cape was terrible from the first episode
Flag
Agree with you fully Gully, why even talk about a show or be part of its community if you don't care for it at all. Obviously this kryptonkale127 has invested time into the series in order to state so frankly that it's "piss poor". Aren't you just wasting your time kryptonkale?
Flag
You've got to love vitriol like this, either
a) The person hates everything about the show but is still watching every second just so they can hate some more. And that really doesn't say anything good about the person spouting off, put at it's simplest they just haven't got the intelligence or willpower to work out how not watch the show.
b) They don't watch the show, maybe they caught a couple of episodes but they aren't watching now and so are just talking out of their arse.
Flag
2 words dude, Greg Berlanti. He is the creator of this show and he also wrote the Green Lantern movie.... Nuff said. There is no talent or credibility here. I truly respect all the DC characters and for this clown to be allowed to sully them or be apart of this universe is ridiculous. And i have seen the show, poor writing and the lead is stiffer than a board. This can ONLY exist on the CW, and anyone with half a brain knows that CW is definitely not synonymous with quality. In a post Dark Knight world, there is no excuse for doing a substance-less superhero production. Just because the show has a big budget and power ranger style action scenes does not mean it is quality. Drug dealers have a lot of money but it doesn't mean they are rich in a good way.
Flag
Firstly, I think that was more than two words. But you managed to avoid the pertinent question. Do you watch a show you hate but are too stupid or lazy to turn it off, or do you not watch the show and so aren't in a position to make any valid critique?

And here's another six words for you "dude" :
Marc Guggenheim
Andrew Kreisberg
Geoff Johns
Flag
Agree with you fully Gully, why even talk about a show or be part of its community if you don't care for it at all. Obviously this kryptonkale127 has invested time into the series in order to state so frankly that it's "piss poor". Aren't you just wasting your time kryptonkale?
Flag
I could be wrong but I thought Danny Brickwell was on The List, so there's chance he could turn up along with Everyman - Hannibal Bates.

Also the character that turns out to be Billy Wintergreen gets creditted as Deathstroke, so unless Slade becomes Deathstroke II then they'll have to call him something else.
Flag
1) Correct - both are on the list

2) Thats why I included Deathstroke The Terminator name while describing him. But the fact that the other Deathdtroke is apparently dead means he can take the name
Flag
After Heath Ledger's Joker,I don't think any tv show or movie is going to experiment with the character of joker.It is just asking for trouble and bad reviews with comparisions!
Flag
That was said after Jack Nicholson was Joker as well and if that kinda of thinking was listened to then, there would be no Heath Ledger Joker. They can find another.

Ledger was great, but by no means the ultimate Joker. For me it is still the Animated version voiced by Mark Hamill for the Batman Animated Series.
Flag
Not every experiment ends up with a brilliant discovery.Ledger was one.

Hamill had to voice a joker,Ledger had to be a Joker.Yes,there is a difference.

And "your kinda thinking" spoiled several good characters already.I am just saying no tv show or movie would be brave enough to experiment with Joker unless they would be confident of beating Nolan's Joker,which I don't see happening in the near future,at least.
Flag
Mark Hamill was voicing the games as well - but he stepped away and has been replaced by Troy Barker.
Here he is doing a monologue from The Killing Joke at the NYCC -

Flag
I entirely agree with your initial point. These characters are so malleable between different creative teams in different media that they sometimes hardly count as "characters," at least in the sense that there's little unity among different incarnations.

As for BAS, I really still don't get it. It has a lot of die-hard fans and exceptionally strong critical reception, and certainly I'd never bad-mouth Hamill, but I find it very middle-of-the-road. Ah well.
Flag
Hamill's Joker was a highlight of BAS for me. But I do think there would have to be a quality script for anyone to play the Joker as well as Heath Ledger did
Flag
With this weeks episode I could see Slade being an Ivo guinea pig and thus juicing him up and cracking more and truly becoming Deathstroke. I could see him taking on a Chinese name, that translates to Deathstroke ala the way Sara took on the arabic name for "Canary".

Once I saw how gritty they were going with Arrow and with DC adaptations. I immediately thought of Onomatopoeia. His introduction arc at the end of Kevin Smiths run on Green Arrow was fantastic. He has stuck with me as one of the craziest, creepiest villains out there. Unfortunately later creators and other comic books kind of took away some of that evil mystery about him.

As much as I would love to see him I wouldn't want him adapted too much. I hear they thought about using him, but decided against it. So maybe if they come up with a really good take on the character it would be fun to see.

CSI did a bad guy, a number of years ago, who targeted "heroes" who had non-heroic secrets. He was a contortionist with a latex suit. Not a speck of dialog the entire episode. I always thought that was a good pattern to build an Onomatopoeia villain after. Creepy and scary as hell.

All fanboy-ism aside I would like to see Arrow invent their own villain. Organically built for their world. A good solid original nemesis worthy villain. I love the comics adaptations as much as the next guy but I would like to see them strive to create one that is worthy of being picked by the comics. I think that Onomatopoeia was a brilliant original by Kevin Smith. I think the Arrow creatives could come up with their own unique player.

More+
Flag
The original version of Onomatopoeia would be ideal

The S.T.A.R. labs, Argus and H.I.V.E. namedrops in the last episode would open up more possibilities to create their own baddie or tweak a villain who died in the comics.
Flag
Considering that the new episode just introduced a super soldier type of serum that Ivo is looking for, you should extrapolate from there. Brick and Cupid are definite possibilities as well as Blockbuster and Mammoth. I know that I have said that I don't want superpowers on Arrow, but if they are going to be there, then someone I would like to see is Inque from Batman Beyond.
Flag
I always felt Inque was basically a female version of Clayface - so she might be another possibility.
The serum angle opens up a lot of villains with enhanced, but not really "super" powers - which would fit with Arrows reality
Flag
There is no doubt in my mind that Slade will turn up as Deathstroke in the present. They have already set it up so I can't see why they wouldn't follow through. I'm thinking they are leaving it for season 3 - maybe have a 'cliff hanger/ tease during the last episode for this season?
Flag
I'm guessing they will have Prof Ivo turn up in Starling City, before Slade turns up later in the season
Flag
Agreed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members