An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour today, CW president Mark Pedowitz announced that Arrow's second season will see the introduction of one Dr. Barry Allen. As DC Comics fans know, Allen's alter-ego is The Flash. If the origin story goes well, there is a very good possibility that the network will develop a spin-off around the character.

"We do want to expand upon the DC Universe, and we felt this is a very organic way to get there," said Pedowitz.

We know, we know, there's basically no additional info to go on at this point. But what do you guys think of this idea? Would you watch a Flash spin-off? Would you rather see a different character land their own show? Or are you already fighting spin-off fatigue in the wake of the upcoming The Originals and the recently announced Supernatural spin-off that's also in development?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

179 Comments
Comments (179)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I would totally watch it but they should not treat it as a arrow spin off it should be an independent show
Flag
It'll depend how this season goes. I love Arrow but I think a spin-off will depend on the reaction to the flash character! Too many spin-offs isn't a good idea either but I'm sure more people would watch a DC comics spin off than are watching the originals.
Flag
I guess it depends on how they end up doing it. I know DC is chomping at the bit to catch up with Marvel, but on the surface, it's a stupid idea. There was a time when DC were innovators that left Marvel behind in their dust & helped the comic industry grow up for a while.

Oh well. It's just bisineness. We'll see how it goes but if this is going to be the beginning of superhumans in my Arrowverse, I'll just shoot the finger & tune the 'eff out of it all entirely.
Flag
Bring man of steel cameos. I don't mean characters, but maybe a news story on the tv screen about metropolis city. Or Diggle making a joke about how this "superman" guy can kick oliver's ass.
Flag
An updated version of the flash "bring it"
It would be nice to get more shows like this as long as it's not too (oh what's the word I'm looking for ) LAME
Flag
sounds dope
Flag
Hell yeah! Bring Allen into the mix. Might also be a good idea to do a Batman as well, or at least give him a guest appearence, while also mentioning the "red & blue spandex wearing alien in Metropoilis". That'd be fun! :))
Flag
I'd want to see Wally West & if I can, with Artemis Crock
Flag
Actually, I think I'd like to see either the phantom or the shadow, updated versions of course or Elektra.
Flag
Yeah...Way to Go!!! Bring the speedster!!!
Flag
I would love to watch it.
Flag
I would watch it for sure :))
Flag
When I was a kid I had both Flash 104 AND Flash 105. If you don't know what that means...
Flag
Staff
MORE spinoffs? Oh man, can't there be anything original?
Flag
One thing that may work well for a Flash series is that Barry Allen is a Forensic Scientist. You could bring in procedural elements and build a supporting cast with the Central City Police Department and Crime Lab. It would be like CSI if Greg or Nick ran off at super speed every now and again to catch the bad guy.
Flag
So.. in a nutshell, like the old Flash TV series where he worked in the crime lab and rushed off using his powers to supplement his police work...
Flag
Sort of, but there seem to be a lot more fans interested in police procedurals and forensic based procedurals today so there is the potential for cross over. Plus the presence of the CCPD would lend itself well to storylines dealing with an organized crime syndicate like The Network or Intergang.

Of course the show shouldn't focus only on that aspect and I doubt the CW would ever do so. Likely the show will focus on not only the action but also on the relationships, similar to what CW does on its other programs like Vampire Diaries, Nikita, and Arrow.

One thing the old series didn't have was Iris West playing any big part. The new series will probably have her as the main love interest possibly setting up a secondary love interest in Patty Spivot.

If the show is going to have the Flash in full costume with super speed, I hope they go full comic style with it and bring in the rogues over time. Also, one thing that would be interesting is if Barry actually looked into what the Speed Force is and why he was chosen to gain his powers.
Flag
Another TV series where the average person has no idea of who the villians are for that hero.

There's already been a Flash TV series, although it's practically forgotten now. Although it's hard to forget Mark Hamill as the Trickster.

Just doing the show about one Flash might not be that interesting, but if they did a show about the many speedsters it could be more interesting.

Flag
This sounds good. Just confused if its going to be set in the same universe/timeline as Arrow is, so there IS going to be super powers in the series. I would watch though
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Haven't you read comic books?
Flag
I posted this in another article thread, but maybe it has more relevance here:

So NBC has gone crazy with miniseries since Under The Dome's success... But The CW doesn't really have any reason to be going crazy with all these spin-offs, when have they had a successful one?

Arrow was never really a Smallville spin-off, The Originals hasn't even started yet, and yet they think a Supernatural and Arrow spin-off are a good idea? History shows that most of these shows are likely to fail.
Flag
Staff
But every once in a while you get Angel, which ran for five seasons.
Flag
I agree, Angel is my second favourite show of all time, after Buffy of course.
Flag
and then you have cases like Xena: The warrior princess which was bigger than Hercules, a show xena spun off.
Flag
It's ridiculous that Smallville never spun these shows off. Al, Miles, and the crew knew how to interpret these characters correctly.

Aquaman or Mercy Reef as it was also called was pretty good and had great potential (but should have been given a backdoor pilot on Smallville first). The solution: strip Aquaman of the outfit and superhero name (ala Smallville) and have him simply just be a dive shop owner, running a beach in Florida that becomes attacked by sirens because of his heritage. Throw in the Bermuda Triangle. This show should have made it to air.

Their interpretation of GA was fantastic and superior to Arrow's interpretation. If only they had planned to spin off the character following the show's end and as a result hold off on introducing his recurring characters (Black Canary, Speedy, Dark Archer) until the spinoff where more long term thought would be put into their development and casting.

Just imagine what they could have done with a young Wonder Woman spinoff. But DC has to give it to David E. Kelley, who had no idea what to do with the character.

Even the show's interpretation of Martian Manhunter was terrific and could have went even further.

And I could even see them being able to make Green Lantern much more enjoyable than it's disappointing recent movie.

DC deserves credit for hiring Nolan and deciding to put Batman in the next Superman movie; those are great moves. But most of the time DC is pretty incompetent and behaves like the old man in the room who wants things to stay the same as opposed making characters more interesting for audiences. When you're still insisting on characters using glasses and domino masks for disguises, you're pretty out of touch.

More+
Flag
Smallville tried a few times to spin-off shows with not only Aquaman but Cyborg, although it never managed to get anything going.
Flag
I disagree with this idea and would LOVE to see a mercenary spin off, of Slade Wilson. He would have a great story to tell in my opinion, what do you guys think?
Flag
Honestly, the Flash just isn't that interesting. I think Smallville had the best interpretation (a con artist runaway kid) and even it didn't seem like it had potential for becoming a spinoff.

Flag
Contradictions, contradictions

Instead of using the superior interpretation of GA (played by Justin Hartley) in Smallville and simply moving him back to Star City, which could easily be metahuman free and darker/more realistic (similar to Arrow), it was decided to not tie an interpretation of GA to Smallville in anyway. The excuse for doing this was that they didn't want metahumans around (Star City is in Cali not Kansas and could easily be far away from them). And now it's been decided that the ultra real "Arrow" (that attempts to be too much like The Dark Knight in all the wrong ways) will incorporate a metahuman and possibly spin him off. Hmmm......
Flag
I still miss Birds of Prey...
Flag
Just because the suits at the CW can greenlight a pre-mature Arrow spinoff doesn't mean they should. On the surface, it's simply a stupid idea. I'm willing to give it a look if they air it & then touch go from there, but if they use it to try & add super powers to the DCW Universe, then I'll simply abandon watching Arrow completely & never look back.

I refuse to endure a possible repeat of the asinine crapfest that Smallville became in the second half of its decade

Flag
as for his own spin off show. spin offs rarely do well really. it'll do 1 season, 2 tops.

Flag
although there was...

Andy Griffith Show, Frasier, Laverne and Shirley, The Simpsons, Bionic Woman, L&O SVU & CI, the two other CSI's, NCIS and NCIS LA, The Jeffersons, Maude, Good Times, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, A Different World, Family Matters, Empty Nest, Gomer Pyle, Angel, Rhoda, Private Practice, Torchwood, The Colbert Report, Knots Landing, Xena, Boston Legal, Fernwood 2 Night, Melrose Place, all the Star Treks and Stargates...

Sure there are often bad and desperate attempts to make money but the truth is there are so many times that television has benefited greatly from spinoffs and I think it's obvious that the myth that all spinoffs are bad has had a negative effect on television development in the last two decades(specifically when it comes to sitcoms).

Flag
a lot of those i dont count as true spin offs. such as csi. the 3 csis are their own shows. unlike "joey" from friends.
Flag
That's not true at all. David Caruso appearing on CSI as a backdoor pilot isn't much different from Laverne and Shirley or Mork appearing on Happy Days. Or perhaps Cragen's early years on L&O before signing onto star in SVU. They're all spinoffs, whether the character was a regular cast member, a recurring one, or appeared once. And I think it would be good to see more spinoffs on television. You're perception that all spinoffs tend to be like Joey is incorrect. They're often quite good.
Flag
Be that as it may, they are still spinoffs at the root. Sub-classification may help an outlook or argument, but doesn't change what a spinoff really is.

...just sayin
Flag
arrow is a great show imo. first season was brilliant for introducing they need to add to the show for the 2nd season tho so its different from season 1. using past characters from DC are the way to do that. but as others have stated. its has stayed away from proper "super" powers. so that will be difficult for them to include that.
Flag
If a character spin-off had to come from Arrow, I would have expected something like Green Lantern ironically, since GL and GA were quite the team in the comic books for a very very long time.

Then again, considering the 'real' world approach to Arrow, if I may say so, I thought that they didn't want him to deal with anything/anyone with super-powers.

But if you had to get a spin-off, I would try and do it justice with someone with super-natural powers. The Spectre would be a good bet. Jim Corrigan's Spectre that is. Could be buddies with Detective Lance, etc.. That would be much more fun and more in line than having a 'Flash' spin-off.

Then again, when all else is said and done, you would hope that they would line up all of these spin-off and shows, including Arrow with the Man of Steel universe.

That would make sense.

Flag
I am not a fan of avariciously exploiting a quality product. CW should give Arrow another season or two before taking on another project that will come with an established fan base with high expectations.

Personally, I'd rather see them take on a reboot of The Greatest American Hero, but that's just me.
Flag
That is an AWESOME idea, and the CW has said it's been wanting to bring back comedy for a long time!
Flag
Believe it or not... It might happen eventually
Flag
Thought Barry Allen was basically a CSI for Central City police. Dr?
Flag
Never enough quality superhero stuff. Although the approach of "spinning it off" an existing show may not be the best path to take. Not in the case of Flash. As many peoplepoint out in their comments, Arrow has stayed away from the obvious super powers territory so far. It would be something new for the show to tackle, and quite a change of direction.

So right now I foresee it might be rather difficult to pull off in the established world of Arrow. Unless they make the guy run ten times as fast as Usain Bolt and pretend it's natural... or come up with some fantastic steroids.
Flag
I want a Wonder Woman series.
Flag
I enjoyed the CBS The Flash show, but honestly I can't see The CW making it work, the character really doesn't fit their "sexy youth soap opera" mold whatsoever, and it's very difficult to make him compelling on a weekly basis, so they'll shoehorn stuff in there left and right until The Flash is barely on the show at all.
Flag
Shit, the CW is spinning off everything, soon we'll start getting spin offs of spin offs of spin offs. Though it would be nice to see someone with powers in Arrow, I'm okay with having him fight only human villains but they shouldn't be taking powers away from villains that had them before, like the huge disservice they did with Count Vertigo, he's nothing like the character from the comics.
Flag
In your spin-off scenario the CW becomes CBS.
Flag
I think this could work for the simple fact that Flash really does have an awesome Rogue's Gallery since they've been a team. I would love to see the show have as much focus on Mirror Master, Cold, Heatwave, and the others as it does on the Flash. Plus, ol' Alexis Denisoff of Angel did Mirror Master's voice on Justice League Unlimited and I would love him as the character in live action. Plus, that dude needs a permanent gig.
Flag
No spinoff, please. That would mean crossovers and back-references and it's a new show, fer chrissakes. Let it do well for a while on its own before squeezing it for more money.
Flag
The only problem I see is The Flash is a horribly difficult power to show on screen without looking badly CGI'd. I have to agree with MCPTV01, I would rather see Nightwing.

But hey, at least it isn't Wonder Woman.
Flag
I disagree. the 90s Flash show was awesome, effects and all and if anything, today's technology can make it a lot cheaper and even more effective.
Flag
Booster Gold
Flag
I would rather see Characters like The Question, Nightwing, Grifter, maybe even the Specter.

Question - would be a great pick. Detective that has the ability to change his face and look like anyone. A darker character than DC usually put out, but full out plot lines and character development.

Nightwing - I mean its Nightwing for goodness sake.

Grifter - Guns, mercenary and a mouth to boot.

The Specter - Supernatural walker of dreams. Who wouldn't watch a show about a guy that can avenger victims by tormenting their attackers.

BUT the Flash?!?!?!? Been there, seen the cheesy early 90's show.
Flag
I like Nightwing, but that would mean the need to tackle Batman origins.

I think if they want to go young, they could do something similar to Dial H for Hero. It just might be too farfetched.

Other option include Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) and Dr. Mid-Nite. Ted Kord had no powers, but used science to fight crime. Dr. Mid-Nite's powers essentially allows him to see in the dark. Both are fairly grounded for a live action show.
Flag
All great characters, all would be horribly ruined on The CW. Or NBC. ;)
Flag
I definitely agree about Nightwing. He's always been one of my favorite characters, right up there with Batman. In the DCAU movie Under the Red Hood, my favorite part is when NW shows up to help Batman fight Amazo.

However, I disagree with the rest, especially about the Flash. First, yes, the early 90's show was...well, it was the early 90's. Just about everything was bad. However, done well (which almost omit's the CW, but I'll roll with it), I think a Flash live action show could be pretty awesome. He's always been, in my opinion, one of the potentially strongest characters in the DC universe (right up there with Superman), but he's frequently shown as a bit of a clown (at least in the DCAU movies, not as much in the comics). On the CW, where they take hangnail's more seriously, I think it could be awesome.
Flag
And for that reason I think they would do better with the characters I listed. Question is primarily a reporter with a over blown sense of justice. Easy to do and right on track with what the CW could pull off. The Specter would be a stretch, but CW has always been fascinated with the supernatural. So they might try for this character. It would be a little to highbrow for the CW but maybe CBS could pull this one off.
Flag
You can't have enough superheroes on TV!!!
Flag
I assume "Heroes" is an exception to that statement.
Flag
I'm hoping that MSN reboot happens so the potential that was Heroes can have another chance to be reached
Flag
You say this now....

However, it would be a welcome change to the Apocalypse. At least in a Superhero universe, traversing many states within the span of a few hours is possible.
Flag
oh also plz make flash shirtless in every episode like the green arrow. thats the key to sucess CW.

Flag
They should not do shows which would involve lots of CGI. I think we all remember the horrible effects in smallville....
Flag
horrible effects aside (and really they are light years ahead of a lot of crap on SyFy or other network challens) Smallville is one of the best comic-to-screen adaptations ever, and nothing will convince me otherwise). Id take Smallvilles worst seasons over The Arrow on most any day. I always enjoyed the guest-hero appearances on that show and would of preferred a spin-off of one of them.
Flag
really? I was a super diehard smallville fan but a few seasons of that show were pure garbage. Way to much Lana lang drama, and Superman beating main villains as clark kent is a joke.
Flag
Maybe because I was a teenager when it was on, but I was madly in love with Lana as well. JimmyJames is right about the episode count and filler episodes, but the myth was very well done.
Flag
The problem with Smallville was that there were too many episodes in the seasons. This meant plenty of ridiculous filler episodes full of crazy plotlines (vampires, meteor freak gum, and an episode involving Clark and Lois getting almost sacrificed by a town wanting a great harvest). It generally did very well with the Superman mythos and usually improved on previous adaptations of it. As for Lana, well obviously he's going to be in love with her, it's Superman in high school. Don't see anything wrong with that.
Flag
I would love to see a tv show on the flash I know they tried it before but was badly made and I think they have a lot better editing capabilities now making the concept appear more realistic like they did with smallville it would be nice to see something not animated from a comic book on tv
Flag
as much as a I love the Flash (he's my favorite after Superman, Batman and Green arrow)...him on his own is not a good idea in my opinion...It could work and I would love if it did...but I always viewed flash as an awesome support hero...not a main event....he's to much of a class clown to be taken seriously as THE main character of something
Flag
The Flash would be awesome. I don't think people really understand his strength and his power. After all, in the Justice League Unlimited animated series, it was the flash who ultimately defeated Braniac and Lex Luther. If they use speed effects like the ones in the movie "Man of Steel", The Flash series could be incredible.
Flag
"I don't think people really understand his strength and his power."

Let's see. He runs really fast. What else is there? He sounds pretty one dimensional. I think people understand him.
Flag
he can do much more than run fast, if he wanted to, he could go back and alter history to where superman never got pulled out of the spacecraft, or bruce wayne's parents never got killed and batman never came to be. time travel and continuum alteration are pretty strong powers. case in point: the flashpoint story arc. he can also vibrate through things and make them explode. alot more than just a glorified track runner.
Flag
In other words, things that Superman can already do and has been heavily criticized for doing in films.
Flag
KarlSchantz,

So you mean in other words, he can do things that Superman can already do. He's a less interesting pre Superman Clark Kent. He's the least interesting DC character that they could adapt. The only reason why Smallville was able to keep it interesting was they turned him into a teenage runaway conartist. And even that adaptation wouldn't be able to sustain a show. They keep talking about stand alone films based on the character; I can't see that ever working.

Flag
I'm pretty sure The Flash must have super strength or would not be able to withstand the inertia or the friction associated with the speed. He can vibrate through walls, and vibrate his molecules to let bullets pass through him. The end of Superman The Movie was just stupid. It was obviously not written by the comic book writers. How about that stupid memory erasing kiss? I try to forget about that movie. Here's a good question, When will someone actually call Oliver Queen "The Green Arrow"?
Flag
If properly utilized, his super speed could probably make him nearly a match for Superman. At least IMHO. And if it's Wally...well, all he has to do is super-speed vibrate through Supes and he'll just blow up, easy win.

And yeah, that part of the JLU episode was damn awesome (not that the rest of that episode, in fact the whole series, wasn't awesome).
Flag
Sure. I remember when CBS did Flash a few decades ago.
Flag
All for the Flash baby
Flag
Hey I could be crazy, but what about a Superman spinoff?
Flag
you mean like...smallville? something they did for 10 years? only 4 of which were actually any good
Flag
Hope you're including the final two seasons in that statement.
Flag
was referring to seasons 1-4 when it was actually "Smallville" and the bad guys were usually random people you had never really heard of...instead of a terribly represented Superman villan (the only one they hit the nail on the head was Lex)... Zod, Doomsday, Darkseid, Bizzaro, toy man etc etc all horribly horribly done
Flag
I dont even remember season 9 I was refering to when they had Lex possesed by zod in I think season 5 or 6

braniac was okay the dude from buffy played him well
Flag
I'll give you Doomsday and Darkseid. I thought Zod was done well in Season 9 (when whe was "major" Zod) and Bizzaro I liked, although it's probably due to the actor. I'm not saying Smallville was fantastic beginning to end, but Season 9 was definitely the best the show had in terms of an over all story arc, and Season 10 had it's moments.
Flag
Sure, Smallville, when after 10 years we had Superman for, say, five minutes...
Flag
so lois and clark?
Flag
"Lois and Clark" was a cute little show, appropriate for its time, but by today's standards in many ways "the amateur hour," and seriously underbudgeted. (And, by the way, to me Teri Hatcher makes a lovely and perfectly memorable Lois Lane). But hey, we're already in our second "Nikita" after just ten years or so, so a remake would be in order.
Flag
you mean like Smallville?
Flag
Essentially, Flash isn't that appealing as the main character of his own TV-series - frankly, Allen ain't that great (he's no Wally West) and his gallery of villains ain't that impressive.

Anyway, do the show, CW - it's not as if DC/Warner are planing anything more interesting with the guy in the near future.
Flag
I agree, Wally was a more like-able Flash.
Flag
Awesome!!!! I remember the old Flash series and it was pretty good. And im soo happy to see other lesser known Dc heroes getting some spotlight. XD
Flag
I loved the old Flash series. I always had a thing for Amanda Pays.
Flag
As much as I like the DC universe, let's just stick to one show at a time. Introducing more of them will only saturate the airwaves, lead to viewers' fatigue, low ratings and cancellations. I don't want a show about The Flash to fail, and the failure of a spin-off also reflects badly on the already existing show (in this case Arrow). A spin-off is usually done in haste and/or sloppily, just to capitalize on the success of the original show. That means lower quality which is a major disappointment for viewers. It won't be fun to watch a major character like The Flash be introduced in Arrow only to see a show about him cancelled after just a few episodes.

Of course if a spin-off is made I hope it succeeds, but I expect the worst. If the producers want to focus more on The Flash, then can have him guest star more often on Arrow, or give him a mini-series that fleshes out the character a little more. Or how about just making a film? But if they think a network like the CW will be able to sustain two DC shows for six seasons and a movie, it's not going to happen. Maybe they could postpone the plans for the show. When Arrow is on its final season (after about ten years), they could fluently continue the DC saga on a new show about The Flash.

I hate to be a party pooper by not supporting this idea, but I don't want a show with so much potential to tank just because it becomes a secondary show to an already existing one. When a show about The Flash is made, I want it to succeed and be remembered as a show that did justice to the character. And finally, what makes Arrow believable is that the characters are not superhuman, but will it really be that interesting to see The Flash speed around assisted by TV quality VFX?
More+
Flag
Why would The Flash fail? Just cast a super hot hunk as Barry, have him be shirtless for at least 2 minutes an episode, the chicks will eat it up, and we'll get a (hopefully) otherwise awesome show.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members