An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 8, 2014)

Look's like it's time to start compiling this year's renewal/cancellation scorecard, because The CW has announced early renewals for five of its series, including freshman dramas Reign and The Originals, veteran dramas Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries, and not-a-freshman-but-not-yet-a-veteran drama Arrow.

Supernatural will be hitting double digits as it returns for Season 10, but the news isn't particularly surprising; CW President Mark Pedowitz recently told reporters that the Winchesters will be around as long as they want to be, as long as the show's ratings hold steady. And given that just two weeks ago, Supernatural earned its highest viewership numbers since 2010 when it aired a new episode opposite the State of the Union Address, it's probably safe for the foreseeable future as long as the cast sticks around. 

Meanwhile, The Vampire Diaries (which will be back for Season 6) remains the network's highest-rated show across all key demographics, and Arrow (which will be back for Season 3) is not only The CW's most-watched series, but the number-one show in its time period among men 18-34. 

The network has also re-upped on its TVD spin-off The Originals—which, once again, not really a surprise. The Originals already had a built-in audience of loyal and crazy fans when it premiered this past fall, and its pairing with Supernatural has given The CW its best Tuesday-night ratings in years.

But there is at least one surprising element to today's announcement, and that's the early Season 2 renewal for Reign. The series has proved to be a fun, interesting addition to The CW lineup despite some viewers' initial hesitation over a historical drama featuring a teenage Mary Queen of Scots. Pedowitz did say that he was bullish on Reign at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour in January, but I'm guessing that what he really meant was, "I love it and I am secretly a Frary shipper, but please don't tell the Mash people." Reign's ratings have continued to rise throughout its first season, but I'm not sure anyone expected an early renewal. In fact, I think most fans were fearing it would be stuck on the bubble until May. I'm going to ahead and say that Lily's hilarious episode reviews are at least 65 percent responsible for the good news.

Unfortunately, there's still no word on the fates of Beauty and the BeastHart of DixieThe Carrie Diaries, or freshman series The Tomorrow People. Tim's got two of those shows pegged as goners, of course, but The CW still has plenty of time to make decisions between now and the Upfronts in May.

Which renewal are you most excited about?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/14/2014

Season 2 : Episode 23

254 Comments
Follow this Show
Members