An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Look's like it's time to start compiling this year's renewal/cancellation scorecard, because The CW has announced early renewals for five of its series, including freshman dramas Reign and The Originals, veteran dramas Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries, and not-a-freshman-but-not-yet-a-veteran drama Arrow.

Supernatural will be hitting double digits as it returns for Season 10, but the news isn't particularly surprising; CW President Mark Pedowitz recently told reporters that the Winchesters will be around as long as they want to be, as long as the show's ratings hold steady. And given that just two weeks ago, Supernatural earned its highest viewership numbers since 2010 when it aired a new episode opposite the State of the Union Address, it's probably safe for the foreseeable future as long as the cast sticks around. 

Meanwhile, The Vampire Diaries (which will be back for Season 6) remains the network's highest-rated show across all key demographics, and Arrow (which will be back for Season 3) is not only The CW's most-watched series, but the number-one show in its time period among men 18-34. 

The network has also re-upped on its TVD spin-off The Originals—which, once again, not really a surprise. The Originals already had a built-in audience of loyal and crazy fans when it premiered this past fall, and its pairing with Supernatural has given The CW its best Tuesday-night ratings in years.

But there is at least one surprising element to today's announcement, and that's the early Season 2 renewal for Reign. The series has proved to be a fun, interesting addition to The CW lineup despite some viewers' initial hesitation over a historical drama featuring a teenage Mary Queen of Scots. Pedowitz did say that he was bullish on Reign at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour in January, but I'm guessing that what he really meant was, "I love it and I am secretly a Frary shipper, but please don't tell the Mash people." Reign's ratings have continued to rise throughout its first season, but I'm not sure anyone expected an early renewal. In fact, I think most fans were fearing it would be stuck on the bubble until May. I'm going to ahead and say that Lily's hilarious episode reviews are at least 65 percent responsible for the good news.

Unfortunately, there's still no word on the fates of Beauty and the BeastHart of DixieThe Carrie Diaries, or freshman series The Tomorrow People. Tim's got two of those shows pegged as goners, of course, but The CW still has plenty of time to make decisions between now and the Upfronts in May.

Which renewal are you most excited about?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

Next Episode

AIRS ON 10/5/2016

Season 5 : Episode 1

253 Comments
Comments (253)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I will always enjoy vampire diaries, but sime day sam and dean from supernatural will come looking for them
Flag
Supernatural is an awesome t.v. Series. I can watch it and watch it and see things i hadnt before. Its my favorite tv series. keep it going, but i wont blame ya.if you end it. I still dont see how shit can get any worse. But i have said that about the past 3 seasons. And the hubby is a huge fan of arrow. I havent started that yet, but i plan to
Flag
i am thrilled that Reign has another season. But, in doubt of a decreased rating potential i hope they leave season 2 with a more endable finale but with a possible third season to follow. Tricky but due able.
On another note i cant be more enthused that Vampire Diaries isnt going anywhere. But, how could it...? It has taken over so many tv addictions and the gossip around every corner for MORE, spreads like wildfire.
Although, for my own opinion, id be a little irked at the idea of losing Beauty and the Beast. ive come to love the characters and the perception of the Tale, But, i see where the show is on edge. It sort of needs to get back to "beauty and the beast" instead of "beauty" and "A beast"...
Well, that is my 2cents and hope my "tv addiction" is on point for my own satisfaction. But, good luck to all of those whose "addictions" are elsewhere.
Flag
Oh, last thing...
SUPERNATURAL HAS BEEN ON "FOREVER" let it GO!!!!! You can only watch sooooooo much of the same acting same story line just a "diff. story" people say and still be THAT interested. some people watch now out of habit or waiting for an end... stop renewing that nonsense!! LMAO
Flag
Love that Reign will be back for its 2nd season including Vampire Diaries and the Originals...,:)
Flag
Love Reign and so glad it's continuing! Think they made a big mistake thou not bringing back Star Crossed. Both shows are different and exciting and full of beautiful people!
Flag
Vampire Diaries, The Originals and Reign are the things that keep me going all week!! Soooo happy they are renewed! Just need to keep Hart of Dixie going and my "tv life" will be complete!
Flag
Reign is the best show. So happy they are going to keep it, but star crossed needed a season 2 to bad they canceled it.
Flag
The Tomorrow People and Star Crossed both need season two's! And move TTP back to Wednesdays so the fans can have Amell Wednesdays again!! *-*
Flag
I think they should renew the tomorrow people its the best should there is on CW
Flag

Can't say i have ever watch any of these shows, though…so it will make it easier to simply scratch the CW off the list. Most people refuse to watch the CW , and I can certainly see why.
Flag
The CW in a sense of a "Good Network" is a bit skewed and ridiculous. But, though your opinion seems pretty uneducated, let me say, its a simple network of fantasized Sci-fi that basically finds beautiful people for men and women to lust over which in this society and day & age is to be sadly expected and well...Working.
so you are right that it should be scratched off but its sole purpose seems to be simple-minded fantasy fulfillment that even someone like myself fell for and even if i wanted to get out...i couldnt. So, b glad you either havent started the shows by curiosity or if you have welcome to the twisted dark side of fantasy TV. haha :)
Flag
Its really too bad. But since they renewed Reign, there is no possibility for Tomorrow people. They were basically competing for one slot. Sad, but true. The sad part is that Reign is such a typical girly show.
Flag
I would love to see the tomorrow people "top-side" and being super heroes!! Please renew it!!!!
Flag
Renew tomorrow people!!!!!
Flag
the carrie diaries needs to be renewed!!!
Flag
I can't believe that they renewed the Vampire Diaries, I used to love it but it's getting worse every episode, it come a time for every show to end and the Vampire Diaries in my opinion has reached that time!
Flag
i just recently said this above to "lollipopfop" ^^^ but basically...
"THIS IS WHY THE VAMPIRE DIARIES ARE STILL SHOWING"
The CW in a sense of a "Good Network" is a bit skewed and ridiculous. But, though your opinion seems pretty uneducated, let me say, its a simple network of fantasized Sci-fi that basically finds beautiful people for men and women to lust over which in this society and day & age is to be sadly expected and well...Working.
so you are right that it should be discontinued but its sole purpose seems to be simple-minded fantasy fulfillment that even someone like myself fell for and even if i wanted to get out...i couldnt. So, be glad you either havent started more shows by curiosity or if you have, welcome to the twisted dark side of fantasy TV. haha :)
Flag
You are so wrong!!!! But you have every right to give your opinion!!!
Flag
I'm happy Vampire Diaries had been renewed. I most definitely want Beauty and the Beast renewed. Fingers crossed. It keeps getting better and better. It has strong characters and an addictive romance. Kristin Kreuk and Jay Ryan deserve a 3rd season. LOVE BATB!!
Flag
renewed the tomorrow people.!! if they cancel this show, I m going to be pist,,
Flag
Supernatural obviously and the vampire diaries and regin
Flag
I Love supernatural and The Vampire Diaries so i'm glad they are renewed but i hope they will renew The Tomorrow People
Flag
I WANT TOMORROW PEOPLE!!
Flag
Renew Tomorrow People!!!!!!!!!! This show is better than Reign!!!! I'm going to be pist if they don't return
Flag
Totally Agree! In all fairness, the test card would be more entertaining than Reign!
Flag
As much as I agree the The Tomorrow People should be renewed, claiming that it is better than Reign is an opinion and will not help The Tomorrow People in any way. I like both shows, and where I am glad that Reign got an early renewal, I am sitting here waiting for The Tomorrow People's season 2 announcement.
Flag
Its the only way tomorrow people can be renewed. They are directly competing with Reign. So, rooting for both shows is about as stupid as rooting for two football teams playing against each other.
Flag
Because supporting two different television shows is clearly like rooting for two football teams.
Flag
CW MUST RENEW THE TOMORROW PEOPLE!!!!! IT IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN REIGN.....
Flag
please CW network renew Hart Of Dixie!!!
Flag
Poll

Flag
Most fun to watch? Reign, obviously. It's a rollercoaster ride from start to finish, filled with so much guilty pleasure, twists and turns that you might get out of breath.

The Originals luckily turned out to be as good as I thought (I am so glad they didn't mess up the series with these 3 great characters, would have been a terrible waste). Unfortunately TVD seems weaker now wihtout them, though it still has a few things going for it.

Supernatural keeps on going, it's a weird show. Now and then it starts to feel like "why are they still doing this?" and then again the next week it's just awesome.

Arrow is the only one that didn't really get my love. It's on my "will watch eventually" list but I was mildly disappointed with the pilot episode and I don't really like the actor that plays the main character. They say it gets better and I'll give it another shot at some point.
Flag
Arrow,TVD and TO I was not surpised all three shows have high ratings Reign was a big surprised since there ratings are really close to the tomorrow people the only differnece is reign started off really slow ratings wise and rose while the tomorrow people started off high and fell.
Out of the shows left BATB, Hart of dixie, TTP and Carrie Diaries I think TTP has the best chance. TTP have the highest ratings they are pretty close to Reign and but they have been fluktuating lately they go up to 8 or 9 then drop to 4 or 5 and with them moving to monday if they can improve or keep the ratings the same i would bet they get renewed (not to mention this show is a jp show)
I would guess BATB is a goner of the four shows they have the worst ratings and since the network has already given them two season to improve i don't see them coming back.
Heart of dixie also has horrible ratings but they are close to syndication so they may renew them so they can at least be sydicated.
As well carrie diaries has the same issue but the cost of this show is less then the other shows so it may come back.

also alot will have to do with the mid seaosn shows 100 and star cross the cw only has so much air time to cover so if these two do will i will say alot of the shows are in trouble if they do horrible then at least two of the shows will come back but i would say that TTP have the best chance unless the move to mondays totally tanks the show but from what i hear the show is picking up
More +
Flag
I have yet to see Reign. Maybe I will try it out.

Supernatural is still fun for me, so I am glad that it is still on the air. Arrow is one of my faves. The Originals keeps getting better with every episode. Now, TVD isn't a bad show. The problem is that there does not seem to be a sense of fun that was there in the first two seasons. Both the show and the characters seem to take themselves too seriously. Heck, Katherine seems to be the only character with any energy.
Flag
Arrow is the only good show on that list and i'm thrilled it got renewed!
Flag
I guess you're a DC Comic fan, but i got news for you.....U ARE WRONG. THE ORIGINALS all the way.
Flag
I checked the pilot and it didn't grab me as much...does it get better?
Flag
Yea it's great. Don't you watch The Vampire Diaries. The Pilot basically showed how they transferred the characters and what made them stay
Flag
im excited about all renewaaallls yupeeee :D
i hope the tomorrrow people gets renewd soon its a great show
Flag
Good news to hear about the renewals. It is not surprising as these shows appeal to the same audience of young viewers. Supernatural has a winning formula with a cast that are very comfortable with each other. Arrow has my favorite characters Felicity and Arrow. The writers either need to write Laurel some better stuff or write her off. More parkour. Reign: Teen Queen gotta have more fun, less duty. Love Torrence Coombs.

As for the ones that have not been renewed. Hart of Dixie: Story lines are getting stale. Need some new stuff.

Tomorrow people is finally getting interesting. Robbie still needs acting lessons. I want to see more of John, he is the more interesting character.

Beauty and the Beast just doesn't compare to the Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman version.

The Carrie diaries I never watched it, so I can't say.
Flag
The only one I haven't watched (yet) is Reign; so the entire announcement is good news for me.
As for which I'm most excited about... it's a toss-up between Arrow and The Originals.
Flag
Good for all the renewals... now just waiting for Hart of Dixie haha :) I dare say, if it has survived so far, it might still make it again.
Flag
Supernatural's season 10 renewal, although not a surprise, is still some really good news to hear. As long as the actors stay, and some of the same writers are still around, I'll follow that series forever to be honest.

Arrow, TVD and The Originals are also good news. Watch all of these as well.

Hoping The Tomorrow People comes out a victor this season, too.
Flag
I stopped worrying about supernatural since season 5 ... although it has some rough years .."s6, s7" but I am still excited to hear it :)

so so happy that the originals is renewed... I didn't watch the vampire diaries; some few episodes from season 1 but now that i love the originals I want to watch TVD so I know the originals past.
Flag
I'm most excited about Reign! The others I just took for granted that they'd be renewed. They're all good shows with good ratings and large fan bases. So I'm not surprised. But Reign, I was worried I was getting totally invested in MASH to have it then taken away from me - I still remember the horror of The Secret Circle... So I'm pleased as punch! :-)
Flag
Teenage girls screaming everywhere in high pitched voices about Reign. I myself am delighted about Arrow and want to hear good news on the tomorrow people.
Flag
for a nichey network, cw has been doing great since its inception....

Flag
Yay for Reign!!! The other renewals are also good news, but Reign is the most surprising and exciting for me!
Flag
I hope Tomorrow People gets renewed as well, the only 2 CW shows I watch are Arrow and that so......
Flag
Is the CW and upgrade from MTV? If so the CW should buy the rights to Teen Wolf. It would fit perfectly with their new genre angle.
Flag
TVD need new ideas or better new WRITERS, The stories going nowhere.
I watch it only because Ian...
Yay for SPN!!
Flag
I'm super happy about the news of the renewals and I'm kind of biting my nails because I was hoping for a little more time with the Tomorrow People and with Beauty and the Beast...! xD
Flag
Kinda off topic but does anyone know why The 100 isn't premiering until mid-march? I was kinda looking forward to it but the late premier date is making me think the CW doesn't have a lot of confidence in it's success
Flag
I just wish Jensen Ackles got the chance to be someone other than Dean. He's such an incredible actor and I'd love to see him in a new role.
Flag
Yesss!! Supernatural Season 10!!! So glad it's confirmed, we'll get a 200th ep next season, cannot wait!

Also Reign yayy!!! Somehow it got me hooked & now I love it too much to let it go lol, relieved & excited we'll get another season. Long may it Reign ;)

Most of these were bound to be renewed, Reign is the one that'll surprise most I think as I felt like a lot of people thought it was 50/50 to be axed. But it's well deserved in my opinion (and Lily's reviews are awesome so can take some credit I agree!)

Happy to see Arrow back too but again I was pretty certain it'd get renewed along with SPN & TVD. I seriously hope they actually have a storyline in mind for season 6 of TVD cos it's such a mess at the moment, feel like they've lost the plot & I'm half watching out of loyalty these days.

Out of the shows left I think the Tomorrow People deserves another season, it's not a bad show & I think it has the most room for improvement. Haven't seen TCD so can't comment but I have tried watching BATB & all I can say is just no, so not too bothered if it goes.
More+
Flag
Happy to hear about Arrow. Not surprised about TVD and The Originals (both on my viewing scedule along with Arrow). I watch Supernatural too but I think they really need to set an end date. Sorry, it's past time (although I probably will continue to watch out of habit)
Flag
YEAH!!! Arrow, The Originals, and TVD!!!!!
Flag
The Carrie Diaries and The Tomorrow People both needs to be renewed ! Perhaps as viewers we really should NOT like all the shows on the same network because it is almost certain you will be disappointed as NOT all shows will surivived !
Flag
ARROW!!!! :)))
Flag
Excellent on the renewal of of "Arrow" & maybe a couple of more. According to IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56762733/ ) Arrow will continue to introduce additional DC Comic's characters; Both season 02 (remainder) & upcoming Season 03... Can't wait to see what comes of this.

- Vampire Diaries?? Really? More "Katherina" drama? Whatever. I only see this going IF there are additional Cameos (Special appearances) from the characters of "The Originals." Maybe Rebekah can kick Katherine's A$$ or something.
- The Originals would be a plus for me if it didn't take place in New Orleans. I hate Gumbo, lol. And the witch thingy with Vampires in general really is starting to grate on me.

J.
Flag
Love it! However I think this will be The Vampire Diaries final season. This obsession with all things Elena is getting old.
Flag
All things Elena AND doppelganger really are getting old. Damon always falling off the wagon, Stefan & his constant self-abnegation... etc. The witch(s) loosing powers, being reunited with other powers & a lack of control of sudden new SUPER powers...
Flag
HELLO MY SHADOW SELF. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Yay for Reign!!
Flag
Yay for Arrow!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members