An Arrow Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 12, 2017)

With this week's developments on Arrow I feel like this may have been the death knell for any hope of Olicity coming to fruition at some point. As Felicity claimed to not care about Oliver like that and truly seemed to mean it and Oliver seemed perfectly fine with her situation with Barry (not Robot Barry, Barry Allen). In fact we picked up some overtones that Oliver's one night with Isabel may not end up being a one night occurrence. Taking all of these things into account I'm curious what the general community opinion is at this point.

poll

Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 26, 2015
This killed Olicity for me. Rightly or wrongly I now hate Felicity. I will never watch this show again. I hope the writers will be happy because I know I am not alone and that the ratings will take a hit. Well done writers and producters on destroying a big part of your fanbase.
Flag
Feb 11, 2014
I know this might upset a few people but does anyone else hate Felicity? To me her awkward jokes and character were ok in season 1 but is now unbearable. She clings to Oliver and has this delusion that just because she works with Oliver as the Arrow and she is infatuated with him, Oliver must have feelings for her too. I know it is going that way in the series, but take that away what has she actually done to earn his affection? She just provides intel for him and puts her nose where it doesn't belong. She is so nosey, like in the last episode where she interfered with Oliver and Moira.
Flag
Feb 27, 2014
finally , i found someone with the same opinon like mine about the "Olicity". I hate felicity and her little jokes. CHEERS
Flag
Feb 27, 2014
honestly i can't stand her, in every episode the only thing she does is make blatant observations and stand there and stare at oliver
Flag
Jul 29, 2014
Exactly. Ditto on the blatant observations. On top of that she's 100% self-righteous and predictable. She has no depth. There are no shades of grey with felicity.
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
As someone who has never read the comics and never will, I can honestly say that I liked Arrow when it first came on but I became dedicated to it because of Olicity. I love those two together and what keeps me coming back is the hope of them someday getting together. I want the slow burn. If Olicity was to never happen or if only was a short term thing, I would stop watching because to me the show would be dead. I don't want Felicity nor Oliver to have other serious relationships. Barry is alright because it's just a passing interest.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
This is post Three Ghosts....I have a different concern about Felicity. Slade. He didn't exactly say he was going to hurt the ones Oliver loves, he said corrupt. I'm not a comic book reader, but I had thought that Felicity isn't actually a good guy in the lore. I just wonder, Slade turns on some of his actual charm, offers her a job in whatever company he has set up, and gets her to betray Oliver. Like, Slade could see that being a worse option for Oliver, not killing her, but making her abandon him.
Flag
Dec 10, 2013
How can it be over when it hasn't even happened yet? Barry was her date, so why would she tell him she has a crush on Oliver? Oliver sleeping with Isabel more than once( if he does) is not surprising. I'm happy Felicity went on a date because she deserves it. She is the only character who doesn't have an outside life. So far she's all work and no play. Barry isn't staying, so that one dance is all she has for now. I want more Felicity back story.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but it's already been confirmed in interviews with the writers and actors that Oliver and Felicity have a romantic thing for each other. As far as I'm concerned, it was already obvious within the show, but I guess some people will ignore the obvious to satisfy their own expectations. Personally, I don't care much for romantic subplots. I wish they'd just get rid of it all together. But this is CW we're talking about. Not gonna happen.

Anyway, as for this little article, it's a classic case of taking everything in this show at face value. Of course Felicity said she doesn't care about Oliver in that way. Did you expect her to admit it? To Barry Allen of all people? And Oliver is surprisingly a mature dude(the surprising part is that he's a protagonist on a CW show). He's not gonna sit around and mope in jealousy because Felicity wanted to dance with someone other than himself. And he only called Barry so Felicity wouldn't stay mad at him.

As for canon material, who cares about the canon? Sure, the basics matter but they can change anything they want as long as they improve on the show. And that's what they've been doing. The Green Arrow comics have never been all that great anyway. The show is leaps and bounds ahead of its source material.
More+
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Green Arrow and Black Canary might get together, but we have to keep in mind, the show has altered the back-story quite a bit, and that will effect the story going forward. I think, with the way the series has been progressing, writers may find a way to appease both comic book fans as well as those who've never read 1 in their lives. i don't think there's any room for traditionalism or purism just because it IS a tv show, and when you have a pair like black canary and the green arrow, who have star-crossed written all over them, there is a, however remote, possibility pf them going the non-comic books route. and if dc can pull off the new 52, and make WW and Supes have a relationship, and smallville can depict oliver as ending up with chloe, i see no reason why olicity can't work out. and if anything, they've ramped up the olicity vibes like crazy this season, and after losing tommy, and how conflicted and guilty he feels about it, i don't see oliver ending up with laurel, even if she ends up being black canary. then again, this is tv, and anything can happen ;)
More+
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I hope the writer don't try to give everyone what they want. It doesn't work. An example is Twilight and Host (I was forced to watch the movie hated it) Love triangle and author tried to satisfy both pairings by splitting the girl. The other route is worse. Hero gets together with one girl everything is great then girl dies and hero can get it on with the other girl.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
The relationship between Oliver and Felicity seems to much quite similar to Clark and Chloe in Smallville. There was some unrequited love especially on Chloe's side at first, but it never came to fruition, as I can remember.
Flag
Dec 28, 2013
this so much ^

it's the Clark/Chloe thing all over again. I don't see Olicity happening.
Flag
Dec 22, 2013
I feel the same way. But I hope it isn't that tragic. Chloe just seemed sad and like she would always leave anyone for Clark.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Wow, really? It seemed to me that Oliver really didn't like the "chemistry" between Barry and Felicity. This is classic tv/movie romance. Girl likes guy, guy sees girl only as a friend, girl meets another guy, first guy gets jealous and realizes that girl was everything he ever wanted.

Olicity is not over. It will probably never become the great romance that some people want because Laurel like it or not is his OTP. But I anticipate a few episodes of Olly acting hurt/jealous/inquisitive about Barry, and Felicity actively trying to get over Oliver and move on before some sort of admission of their feelings towards each other.
Flag
Dec 22, 2013
I understand and agree. But I don't think that he is actually jealous. But I do think that Oliver would unwittingly throw wrenches into Felicity's love life out of some macho possessiveness. But yeah, as much as I don't care for Oliver and Laurel I think that since she is dating Brother Blood we have more of that coming our way.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I think it's some kind of too soon for some serious Olicity. We somehow had the "three's a crowd" situation on the island and I'm not sure, what would happen to the dynamic within "Team Arrow" if the same thing happend here (and IMHO there would always be the equally fitting possibility of Digglicity after all) and what would happen if Oliver and Felicity had a fallout?

We had some really beautiful scenes showing how deep Oliver's feelings for Felicity are and that they might go beyond loving her as a good friend and my main problem with "The Scientist" was, that Felicity has betrayed her feelings for Oliver by totally falling for a guy she's only met a few hours ago (and who looks like he were 16 ...) and even telling him, that she didn't like Oliver (which even though she might not be as much in love with him right now as she might have been, most defintely isn't true ) ... that felt so incredibly rushed and really, really strange ...
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I doubt its over as it really has not happened yet. I am sure the producers know they will get more long term interest in Oliver and Felicity from some long drawn out romance than to have the characters hook uo too soon. I am sure many of us could site many cases where after to TV characters actually got together people actually became less interested in those characters. I am sure it will happen in time but there is not need to rush it.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Not really. First of all Barry leaves in an episode and comes back in one more. Secondly the writers know that even though not everyone wants Oliver and Felicity together, everyone enjoys their interactions and I do believe they behave that way because there is some kind of an attraction. Not necessarily the kind that would lead to something, but attraction. Oliver was a little jealous, not as jealous as various articles wanted to pass, but it was there. And even though I am not sure if them together would be good for the show, or if the writers will ever decide for them to be together, but it is definitely not over.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
No, this is just the typical tv show formula for a couple. They meet, she likes him (or vice versa), they spend several seasons not being together for some convoluted reason and eventually they get together. For examples see Bones, Psych or Castle.

Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Right, but you know that the girl is Laurel, right? The writers made that clear very early.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Yeah, and Felicity was supposed to be in one episode. Plans change. shipping aside, I don't think there's any specific 'girl' yet - Laurel might have been the plan in the beginning but fan reaction in general hasn't been kind for that character. Canon or no, that has to be a consideration for the show because it's not the comics. I'm a comic fan but with the way they've written the character, I can't bring myself to care about her. Also, I'm not crazy about that actress - there's no subtlety or nuance in her embodiment of Dinah Laurel Lance. I think we'll see Oliver with different people - there's probably more coming with Isabel. But I'd rather see them develop Laurel independently if she's actually going to be Black Canary because right now, the idea of her being BC pisses me off - I'd sooner believe Thea in the role. They need to stop using Laurel as a prop to freaking canon and give her something to do that's not just silly. All they've done so far is make her appear overly emotional, whiny, unlikeable, flaky, and humorless. Bad, bad writing for this character and just saying she's meant to be with Oliver won't fix any of it. I'm a Dinah Lance fan, but I can't stand Laurel. And since I really wanted to like her? That's a problem.
More +
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I've never been a full on shipper for "Olicity". I'm not against it per say but I tend to land on the side of a traditionalist. So I feel fairly strongly for Canary and Green Arrow getting together.

I did like the Barry/Felicity thing, they had good chemistry, but there again I'm a traditionalist. Barry needs to ultimately end up with Iris West.

Frankly Ollie has complicated relationships with virtually every woman he's been with so far. Laurel, Sara, Shado, Helena, McKenna, Roshev ... Ollie is the Captain Kirk of female heroines. "The Scientist" drove that home a little. You could she the linkages falling in place in Shado's mind. Shado understands who Sara is now and who Laurel was I can't wait till she shows up in Starling City. That is going to be major discomfort for Ollie. I feel like a future "Birds of Prey" agenda item is going to be what creep Ollie is...

Felicity has largely been added to that list albeit with a relationship distinct from the others. Her rescues and her recent brush with the Count and Ollie's breaking the no kill commitment. There is clearly a "relationship". The sexual tension is very good here and I don't really want that to change right now.

It's a relationship where she clearly has feelings for him, but based on her dialog with Barry, those might not be traditional romantic feelings. I am much more in favor of the current complicated relationship rather than some traditional "we're an item now..."

I really think Ollie needs to be with someone as damaged as he is, and I think Laurel is the right person for that and she is largely heading in that direction. Irregardless of how people feel about Laurel (and largely Katie Cassiday) I'm taking a wait and see attitude before I vote unflinching for one relationship or another.
More+
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Honestly, as a woman I'd have little respect for Laurel getting together with Oliver. He cheated with her sister - they both hurt Tommy. I find the whole backstory distasteful. Right now, I'd rather not see Oliver with anyone because he's an emotional train wreck. But the thing I like about Olicity is that it's a new kind of relationship for Oliver - he's never been that close to a woman before without sex being involved. They bring something different to the table when they're together, and I want to watch it. I read the comics too, but if I think everything is going to be the same as comic canon, I might as well stop watching now. They've already changed a lot and I like most of it - not what they're doing with Laurel's character - but I like that I can be surprised even though I'm familiar with canon. And we have to remember they're reaching out to a broader audience, most of whom don't read the comics. In the end, it'll be about ratings and what they think will grow the show.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
On the contrary, this is right on schedule. After some episodes featuring Oliver and Felicity heavily (2x06, with Felicity's jealousy concerning Isabel and their brief conversation about Oliver's reluctance to be with someone he could truly care about; 2x07, where the Count threatens Felicity and Oliver responds by three arrows to the chest, placing greater value on Felicity's safety than his own code not to kill), the story pendulum swings in the other direction.

They needed to take a break from building the story between Oliver and Felicity, otherwise it would need to reach a resolution soon. Enter Barry, providing an alternative for Felicity's affections and releasing some pressure on the Oliver-Felicity storyline. Notice how the story between Barry and Felicity is quite the opposite. There is an instant attraction, they have a lot of interests in common and both have quirky speech and behavioural patterns.

Compare Oliver and Felicity, whose personalities are very different, their interests etc. Just as it makes sense there's an instant attraction between Barry and Felicity, it makes sense that things would be awkward for a long time between our green-hooded vigilante and his tech support.

But numerous things point in favour of Oliver over Barry. Story-externally, Barry will be leaving for his own show; in fact, they had to write him as somebody with quick chemistry with Felicity, because he only has a few episodes. This makes him perfect for ruffling a few feathers and upsetting the balance between Oliver and Felicity, but not as a long-term feature.

Story-internally, it has taken over a year for Oliver and Felicity to reach the stage where they are. Whereas their collaboration at first was tenuous (and even limited, since Felicity was only helping out to find Walter), they have now committed numerous felonies together and otherwise often risked themselves for the other person.

A quick beginning to a romance such as Barry and Felicity typically spells a quick end (notice how long McKenna or that Huntress woman lasted as Oliver's significant other). Oliver and Felicity spend their day-time together at the Queen offices and their night-time together doing good (and we know they love spending their nights together). It may take years (story-internally as well as story-externally) for any romance to be kindled between these two, but it will only be stronger for it; the kind of romance that could last, as opposed to these quick-fired love interests that otherwise litter the show.
More+
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
Well, there is hope for the next season. If CW is smart though, they should moved her to the NEW flash show to be together with Barry Allen for a while. She is so popular with fans now she probably will push up the ratings there. If I was a TV executive, I would push for that. As a fan of the show, I do want her to stay here.

Maybe she can guest star over there.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
This is weird...I was sure I made a comment here about 10 hours ago. Maybe I never hit submit. I guess I'll retype from memory.

Olicity was never going to happen. We haven't seen any evidence that he has ever considered that possibility. I think the writers are going to push him back to Laurel eventually, and it would be too much soap opera if he's in a relationship with Felicity when he decides that he needs to get back with Laurel. And they haven't told us that Shado is dead, so I guess it's only a matter of time until she shows up in the city to complicate things.

In the meantime, they should introduce a character named Horatio, so that we can start shipping Felatio.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I don't see this as a sign that Olicity has sailed. Anybody who expected Olicity to happen this season was kidding themselves. Olicity is a slowburn type of a ship, and if (and when) they get together, it will be much further down the line. A few things have to happen before the writers even consider getting together.

1. Felicity must have a serious romance with some guy other than Oliver.
2. Oliver must fully get over Laurel.
3. They both need to grow up a little.

In a way, Olicity is a lot like Harry/Ginny from Harry Potter. A lot of people will say it will never happen, and it won't for quite a long time, but I'm still confident that at some point it will happen. Hell, I'm even more convinced that it will be endgame since the writers are putting it off and aren't just getting it out of the way. Call me crazy, but I really like Oliver and Laurel when they're just friends. She's likable when they're just friends. And I think the writers know that. Why else would they tease Olicity to the fans if they weren't aware of the backdrop of support?

So, I'm not worried. This is just another stepping stone. Just like McKenna, just like that rendevous with Laurel... if Oliver and Isabel last longer than the rest of the season, maybe I'll start to get worried, but at this point? I'm still waiting for her to turn around and stab in the back.
More+
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
This is weird, just earlier today I was thinking how much Olicity reminded my of Harry/Hermione (hoping the former would actually happen though), since so many people complained about Ginny being bland and boring, just like they are doing now with Laurel and Hermione was the smart girl who was part of the trio, much like Felicity is. Now in that case I didn't really ship H/H, mainly because I kind of knew JKR wouldn't go there but also because Hermione had Ron and they were pretty awesome together. I reckon if Ron hadn't been in the picture I would've probably shipped H/H like crazy from the very start of the books when Harry/Ginny weren't a thing and would've been pretty upset if they hadn't been endgame. Which is pretty much the situation now with Olicity. Imho, the writers of the show aren't really 100% set on an endgame. I think they want to see how it goes ratings-wise and if they can't find a way to redeem Laurel they will go ahead with Olicity (can't really see how they could redeem Laurel without killing Sarah and making her the Black Canary and then some of the fans would hate her just for the fact that a somewhat well-liked character had to die for her to find something to do).
More +
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Now you've hit it. Olicity is Harry/Hermione, not Harry/Ginny. We don't even know if there will be a Ginny. If they follow at least some aspects of canon and let Ollie become a full-fledged addict/alcoholic, that type of relationship could go way down the line - which would probably be a good thing.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
(not Robot Barry...) - that would piss Katya off.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
Not to be blunt to everybody but did you know that if you follow the ‘correct’ storyline of the Arrow. That he will marry the Canary in somewhat odd form. So for me the Olicity factor was never a factor.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
If you follow storyline, they also divorced because Oliver cheated. Frankly, I liked Canary better in Birds of Prey. She should be an independent character, not a prop to a ship. And frankly, Oliver and Dinah were on and off in the comics - it was never a Lois and Clark epic love IMO. That's why I'm not locked Into canon with them, I guess. I'm a comic fan, and a Dinah Lance fan, but Laurel is no Dinah Lance so far. Of course, no one can be sure what they'll do. But tethering themselves to canon and saying it must be that way is bad from a storytelling point of view. The first step is seeing if they can salvage Laurel's character - they've got a lot of work to do there. And many comic fans who aren't Olicity shippers agree that Laurel is dead weight on this show so far. Putting her with Oliver won't change that.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I'm not so sure whether Barry is the interim thing or Oliver the interim thing that just hasn't happened yet.

All I know is that this isn't over yet.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
Barry will have to leave at some point when he gets his own show, and by then Oliver will have realised that he wants to be with her. So no, definitely not the end Olicity
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I'm kind of glad that that ship as finally sailed. I thought Olicity was a bad idea from the start. I get that they are both hot - but that doen't really make them a fitting couple. and with other love-interests you can have way better stories. Like Barry and Felicity (or Felicity and the Flash) which also makes for a connection between both shows that might be build upon further down the road.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I did see some jealousy from Oliver but I was on panic motion when felicity stood there waiting for Barry to kiss her. I'm still holding out hope I think they will wait and develop it more
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
Olicity it will be a sure thing...not yet though.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I think it would be a pitty if her snappy comments would be gone because she's not interested in Oliver in that way anymore.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
It's too early for them to get together anyway, the fun is in waiting and it makes the show more interesting with respect to their working relationship. Also we probably get to see some jealousy at some point.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
Olicity was never going to happen. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he was ever even considering that possibility, and the writers seem determined to push him back to Laurel at some point. It would just be too much soap opera if he's in relationship with Felicity when he realizes that he needs to get back together with Laurel. Plus, we haven't been told that Shado is dead, so she's probably going to show up in the city at some point.

I hope that they introduce a character named Horatio, so that we can start shipping Felatio.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
depressed
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Awww. *hugs*

Flag
Follow this Show
Members