An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 5, 2016)

Stop what you're doing! The CW and Warner Bros have released the very first image from The Flash, their in-the-works spin-off pilot of The CW's popular series Arrow, and it's a portrait of the title character's new costume!

Here, have a peek at how that gent in the photo above looks as a dude with superspeed, and then let's talk details: 

As Arrow fans already know, the potential Flash-centric series stars Grant Gustin as Barry Allen, an assistant from the Central City Police Department's Criminal and Forensic Science Division who ends up with superspeed after a freak accident at S.T.A.R. Labs. Gustin has appeared as Allen in two episodes of Arrow this season, the latter of which served as The Flash's origin story and gave Allen his powers. 

Credit (or criticism) for The Flash's new costume goes to Colleen Atwood, an Oscar-winning designer who also created Oliver's costume on Arrow. Now, given that Ollie's "mask" was just a really sloppy makeup job for a year and a half before Allen arrived in Starling City and created a form-fitting version, I was a little worried about what we'd get for the Flash. But there's no makeup in sight here, and considering that his headwear could have looked like this guy's, I think Atwood did a pretty awesome job. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 4 : Episode 23

111 Comments
Comments (111)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
There is an intro to the series where you can see the entire costume as well
Flag
I don't think you know what a portrait is
Flag
I dont like him as the flash! He looks like a little kid that got lost from home, maybe its not him but the personality they gave him.. I dont know..
Flag
I recently saw the movie Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox and this movie is so great. I love it. Seeing a dark Justice League was so amazing and all the twist and turns and the Reverse Flash and Flash OMG so awesome. This movie made me more excited for this series. I hope that with the introduction of the Reverse Flash they introduce: alternative worlds, parallel words, alternative timelines, etc. In the movie this was so well written, but The Flash series need to do it right. I have hopes that they can introduce all this elements and make the series great and good at the same time. For now, very excited about this series.
Flag
Or pilot. LOL
Flag
I am not sure if it is red. it seems brownish/burgundy. The chin strap is not going to stay put at high speeds, I think that's why the flash of the comics does not have it. Like Nishant mentioned, it does look like dare devil, which shouldn't be. Despite all that, I do like it, provided it is red, that is
Flag
Well, now that I had an opportunity to look at the full suit, I believe there should be some changes. It is not skin tight, which would be ok, except that the neck part of the mask (or suit) seems to be made of either thick leather or plastic, and it not only looks uncomfortable, but too big on Barry, to the point that it looks like two necks could fit there. Could they not use neoprene?
Flag
Could do without the chin holster!
Flag
It gives me Robocop vibes. :P
Flag
Speed is nice, but the Flash is going to have to be super-strong, too. Why? It has to do with how much force has to be applied to achieve a given acceleration (not just start and stop, either, but every time the Flash turns, that's an acceleration, too.) It takes a lot of horsepower to accelerate to and through the speed of sound.
Flag
Daredevil meets The Flash!
Flag
I don't really have an opinion on his costume, the picture is a bit dark and we don't see a lot. I reserve that for later. But It's seems better that the one in the last show "Flash"
However I don't understand why we call "The Flash" a spin off of "Arrow", OK the show and the main character was introduced in "Arrow" and it's produced by the same network but the show "Flash" existed long before "Arrow" ( this Arrow anyway, maybe there was another show before this one with Amell. But we already have an archer and even Flash in Smallville).
For me a spin off it's about an original show made after the success of his "big borther/sister" like NCIS is a spin off of J.A.G, or Angel is a spin of of Buffy , Tribes (arghhhh) will be a spin off of Supernatural.
For me The Flash is more a reboot or a reuse of DC comics collection.
Flag
Its a spinoff because the Flash show was conceived after the popularity of the Barry Allen character in the two Arrow episodes. if the character had failed in Arrow we wont be having this show. Hence its a spinoff. It does not have anything to do with the character in the DC universe where Flash is much bigger than Green Arrow...
Flag
It can be BOTH a spinoff of Arrow AND a reboot of the Flash at the same time. It's a spinoff because it takes characters and backstory from an existing show; This used to be a way to keep popular characters after the main stars of a show have left (examples "Joanie Loves Chachi", "AfterMASH", or to give secondary characters more screen time ("The Cleveland Show", "Private Practice"). Later, the "backdoor pilot" was invented, basically, embedding a pilot episode for a new show within the existing episode order for a show the network is already paying for. Doing this both sidesteps the normal pilot authorization process and gets a built-in audience for the pilot; networks like it because they can examine the ratings numbers in a more realistic setting.
Sometimes it's just a brazen attempt to clone a very popular show ("Law & Order:Anything", "CSI: Anywhere", "NCIS Anywhere", and it's almost always less creative and original than starting from scratch, but the sad fact is that the vast majority of the viewing public wants more shows just like the ones it already likes, and don't truly latch on to shows that are too different from what they already know and love. That's why "what the public likes" and "what the critics like" so often don't overlap... the public wants same old, same old, and the critics want fresh and inventive. That's why Community clings to life instead of being recognized as the best comedy available on television.
More +
Flag
I like it. Dark. Classic. I can only imagine how the rest of his suit will look. Its going to be awesome.
Flag
oh, the ears. thanks god they are not like the 90s flash...
Flag
So long as Felicity makes an appearance every now and then I'm happy. The Flash could be wearing a toga and wellington boots for all I care.
Flag
I'm optimistically hoping that flash will be better than arrow.
Flag
its nice but I am reserving judgement until I can see an entire suit.
Flag
Oh my goodness. I LOVE IT ! Grant Gustin is going to do an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G job as The Flash.
Flag
Love it
Flag
Copied it straight from DC Universe Online version of Flash. Greg Berlanti and his Tools have never done anything original, i guess we can't really expect him to start now. DC Universe Online Trailer

Flag
What originality do you expect from a series based on a comic book character?
Flag
I play DCUO (great game btw), and this pic is from the future scene at the opening credits. It is future flash and it does not resemble this costume at all. In Atwood's design the ear covers are much smaller and more distinctively lightning bolts, as is the case in a majority of Flash designs throughout the canon. The ones on Future Flash of DCUO are more like the wings of Hermes than lightning bolts, which in itself is also pretty cool. Anxious to see the entire costume, but I think they did a great job with the mask.
Flag
The fact that he even has a mask is a great start in the right direction. We don't have to go back to 1966 but I'm ready for some hero's and villains in costumes. I think the Avengers have given the green light that it's okay to have a costume or a uniform as they like to call them now.
Flag
I wish Flash had his own series/movie not connected in any way to Arrow. Barry Allen is awesome and a top tier hero, who deserves much more than a spin-off from a terrible green arrow show.
Flag
I agree with you mostly, except that I like Arrow as a show and I think it keeps getting better. But yes, Flash is a more significant hero than Green Lantern, which in the comics is a more "merry" version of Batman.
Flag
Yeah, I sometimes have trouble telling Green Lantern apart from Green Arrow, too.
Flag
AMEN!
Flag
I think it looks awesome. Some sort of molded composite material with no doubt cool qualities, and the darker colour (as far as I can see) matches the darker, grittier feel of Arrow vs. most other superhero series - which is good!
That's what makes Amell's Arrow so good - it's not about primary coloured spandex, it's about the man behind the mask.

And I'm not sure there are a lot of BETTER mask/cowl/hood/helmets out there.
I mean, I think this at LEAST competes with this:
Captain America
Flag
I thought they settled this back in the first X-Men movie...
"You were expecting brightly colored spandex?" - Cyclops.

Batman wears all black because he wants to melt into the shadows. His sidekick is all in bright colors because, erm, say, as soon as Dick Grayson wasn't working for the Batman anymore, he switched to all dark colors. Must have been getting tired of being shot at. (and short pants in those Gotham winters?)
Flag
I think Batman would prefer to meld into or blend with the shadows. If he would actually melt...well maybe after Mr. Freeze got his hands on him.;)
Flag
No, Cloak of Cloak & Dagger, and Raven of the New Teen Titans meld with shadows. Batman does not.

See definition #3:

World English Dictionary
melt (mɛlt)
vb , melts , melting , melted , melted , molten
1. to liquefy (a solid) or (of a solid) to become liquefied, as a result of the action of heat
2. to become or make liquid; dissolve: cakes that melt in the mouth
3. ( often foll by away ) to disappear; fade
4. ( foll by down ) to melt (metal scrap) for reuse
5. ( often foll by into ) to blend or cause to blend gradually
6. to make or become emotional or sentimental; soften
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Looks a little bit of a shade of rust, if not brownish, but the 21st century design is nice. Hopefully, a view of the full costume will have it as the brighter shade of red it should be. And maybe this will have the boots colored yellow like in the comics. Might not translate well on the big screen, but hey it could possibly work here.
Flag
Looks good so far but I really hope we see a full costume soon so we can judge. The color does look a little dark for my taste but it could just be the lighting in the picture.

I do wonder if the they are going to go with the compressing fabric and ring like in the comics or if they will go more real world and have Barry wear the suit under his clothes.
Flag
Too generic/retro, and "clothey"...looks too much like daredevil, I guess I was hoping for more of a movie style outfit with more detail but you cant expect a movie budget for tv shows :/
Flag
Personally, one of the things I like about GOOD TV is and always has been the limited budget when compared to movies. This might sound stupid at first glance but it does at least two things: It prevents the show from relying too heavily on effects - see the earlier Hulk movies, I mean, WTF are those supposed to be? One big ball of wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey... stuff. You know what I mean.
The result is that GOOD TV has way better stories and character emphasis than most movies. Because they have to rely on that and can't try to blow the viewer away with costly effects (also covering hundreds of hours for a typical TV series is hard to do when all you do is blow stuff up for no reasons ;-)
The other thing is that huge budget also causes people to overdo sets and costume stuff. Example: Spiderman. Sure the suit looks great but it's waaaay outside of what Peter Parker could have done secretly by himself. (which is why I loved that initial costum he used for the wrestling match in the first of the Sam Raimi movies, quick and dirty and totally believable that he did that himself, they should have had Peter improve of that instead of dumping him in a high-tech-suite worth thousands of dollars that he could never afford or hope of making himself.
So if they had a movie style budget for the Flash the costume would likely look like something Barry Allen would have NEVER been able to get a hold of or produce himself. It's different for extremely rich guys like Oliver Queen or Bruce Wayne or extraterrestrials using a "uniform" from their planet like The Man of Steel. But a too fancy costume would be very unbelievable for the guy The Flash is here ;-)
So if that really is some sort of a leather outfit that anyone adept at sewing could make with some effort of his own than I say bravo: This costume is beliavable. But let's see the rest of it first before we pass a final judgement ;-)

More +
Flag
Too early to tell but I sure like the 1990 look
with John Wesley which I understan was cast for this series
Flag
As a long time fan of the Flash comics,this looks good to me.Can't wait to see how the rest looks.
Flag
I like it. Don't know why so many people hate the chin guard, I think it looks cool. And, I'm REALLY glad they didn't make the lightning bolts like big old ears sticking out.

Leather does seem an odd choice, but maybe it's a high-tech synthetic that looks like leather but has protective qualities along with stretchability.

And if you really think about it, moving at lightning fast speeds would require a special material. Just the rubbing and flexing alone would ruin any leather or spandex in a flash! (see what I did there!) :)
Flag
Anything sticking out would break off instantly, or bounce around like crazy,
Flag
Pretty funny you'd be worried about makeup since it was Allen who told Oliver how silly it was to use makeup as a mask. It would be pretty stupid, then, for Allen to use it, right?
Flag
I am more of a Marvel Universe person. I can probably name the top ten Heroes/Super Heroes in the DC Universe. I do like Arrow. The Flash I know well enough so far and it's looking good to me!
Flag
I'm also a Marvel person (except for Batman), but I can do better.
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman, HawkGirl, Black Canary, The Teen Titans (Robin, Wonder Girl, Aqualad, Speedy, Kid Flash, Hawk, Dove), the New Teen Titans (Nightwing, Raven, Cyborg, Changeling, Starfire, Wonder Girl, Aqualad, Terra(*)), the Outsiders (Halo, Black Lightning, Metamorpho, Katana, GeoForce), and then another half-dozen at least if I went into the second tier that I know only because they were Brave and Bold if I thought about it for a while. And, of course, from the SuperFriends, Apache Chief.

*Terra was secretly an agent of Deathstroke, the Terminator, but was made a member before they figured that out.
Flag
Also Grant Gustin has the phenotype that allows you to believe he would be fast if super powered.
Flag
I'll have to see it in action before I form a full opinion, but so far so good!
Flag
Kaitlin-I was busy looking at Arrow gifs on tumblr! Call me when I can see the whole costume.
Flag
Okay I'm loving this! No more 1990-91' Flash but actual modern interpretation. With the New 52 suit being absolutely gorgeous, I am hoping the rest of the suit lives up to the expectations. I see why they took the leather approach, Gustin needs all the help he can get to look badass! For a speedster it makes sense for his suit to be a little bit thick, can't imagine how it must hurt running into a wall or something (not that it'll help to much)!
Flag
Comics Flash turns on a dime, so theoretically he can avoid walls. Much more troublesome is, say, a cloud of dust or even smoke. The force of impact varies with both speed AND mass, so if the Flash is moving fast enough, running into even very small particles at speed will have significant impact. This is why birds can break airplanes.
Flag
Yeah but if he was to go up against Professor Zoom there is no telling what could happen. Using a more down to earth example would be to throw a tennis ball at an accelerated car and I was going to use a sandstorm as my primary example but then again I didn't see why he would find himself in that predicament.
Flag
Actually, I think the true test of his power will come from a battle with Mr. Freeze. The first time Flash comes chasing up after the Freeze-mobile and hits a patch of ice at speed... he's gonna hit something, and hit it REALLY, REALLY HARD.
Flag
Looks good!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the whole thing!!!
Flag
well done outfit
Flag
Kind of "meh" but I do want to see the rest of it and it could have been worse :P
Flag
I like the chin guard. Very important. Safety first, even when you're a superhero.

I wonder how much time Felicity will spend on this show?
Flag
ehhhh, could be better
Flag
Staff
I'm going to wait until I see everything to fully form an opinion but after mulling, and an initially squishy-postive reaction given the universe the show will be operating in, I've decided my response to this is "How did he steal Daredevil's cowl/hood/mask?"
Flag
Easy. Flash is super fast and Daredevil is blind! :)
Flag
It does not look anything like the daredevil hood/mask, only similarity is the color red, and even there the hue is different.
Flag
looks cool. i m excited to see the rest and the pilot when it comes
Flag
I like this new costume. Here's to hoping the rest of it looks as good as the head.
Flag
They probably wanted to stay true to the comics but a more radical approach would have been nice and leather, really?
Flag
Looks great! Cant wait to see the full custome.
Flag
First glance: DC took Captain America's helmet and turned it into The Flash.
Flag
more like Daredevil's, but with eye holes.
Flag
It look exactly like Chris Evan's Cap mask from The Avengers (with the obvious adjustments for The Flash)
Flag
actually it is Flash's mask. This have to much leather for me, but pretty close to comic's mask. Comics mask has those flash symbols pined to mask, not on it, but I guess on TV it would look a bit funny.

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-2702407

Caps mask is more like a helmet, this is not.
Flag
i am not saying they are the exact same thing, I said they look the same!
Flag
I am going to wait to see it in unshadowedlight. Butit's in character since it was Barry's idea for Oliver's mask. I would expect him to have a detailed costume.
Flag
I think there's a lot of room between a cheap polyester Halloween costume and this new mess. I know we can't have the early '90s costume back, what with its Tim Burton-esque musculature built in (the argument was that the suit enhanced Barry's own physique, so at least they tried to own it), but the mask and color at least understood the character: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/204/flash02620747.jpg
Flag
Sorry, but the outfit that you linked to looks awful IMO. Flash should not have all that fake musculature. It looks crappy. He's known for his speed, not for any sort of super strength.
Flag
Yeah, focus on the body when my point was the mask, super good.
Flag
Well I was saying I didn't like the outfit as a whole, but the body is the most obvious part of it. I think the CW's Flash mask looks better also.
Flag
You're really just a troll now.
Flag
Yeah, Kaitlin's example is soooooo much more likely, right? The Rubies Wally West The Flash costume done in the cheapest manner possible. Hell, even the kids' version of their costume is better: http://www.buycostumes.com/p/21075/dc-comics-the-flash-muscle-chest-deluxe-toddler-child-costume

And to haunt your nightmares:
http://www.buycostumes.com/p/803312/dc-comics-2nd-skin-flash-adult-costume

But no, let's stay with the nonsense leather super dark giant chinstrap one with the belt buckle as an ear, yeah, that makes perfect sense. Welcome to being a chump, courtesy of The CW. This show's costume image looks worse than the New 52 version.
Flag
Better belt buckles as ears rather than those lightning bolt things sticking out.
Flag
"why have The Flash look like The Flash?"

But those wingy things aren't about looking like the Flash. They're about looking like Mercury. (Who, of course, is modeled on Hermes).
Flag
Yeah, why have The Flash look like The Flash?
Flag
Staff
Yeah, they're combining the New 52's look (the little chin bit) with the dark leatheriness of Arrow. As I half-joked to Andy on Twitter, their Trickster outfit may be super drab.
Flag
Better still, we got Mark Hamill's Joker on TV.
Flag
The Trickster will just be a guy in a gray and black soccer jersey. At least we got Mark Hamill's Trickster on TV.

I really hate that chin protector in this costume, it's way more offensive somehow than the New 52 version (probably because that doesn't need to make any physical sense so it's very thin, whereas this has depth to it which makes it stand out more).
Flag
Staff
WHY DOESN'T THAT SECOND COSTUME HAVE EYES?!
Flag
Theory: it's not a costume, it's a disturbing S&M outfit meant to take on the identity of a 2-dimensional comic book character.
Flag
Wow, my first reaction was AWFUL. The leather makes no sense, doesn't move the way The Flash would need it to. The red is too dark, sick of this "everything has to be Batman movies" dark colors. The lighting bold doesn't really translate as well as I'd like, but whatever. The chin is just so wrong. And why is there a thick collar? Oh boy, not taking this well.
Flag
"The leather makes no sense,"
To anyone who's ever been on a motorcycle and hit a bug, it makes PERFECT sense, and motorcycles only travel at highway speed. If I were the Flash, my Flash costume would include a full-face helmet, for that reason and to avoid chapping and windburn on my face.
Flag
I rode when I was younger, and even wore my motorcycle boots and jacket while playing basketball to get my game up - why? Because they restricted my movements, leather is not a giving material. It's great for taking abuse which is why it's good for riding since it's your only protection from road rash, but it's terribly restrictive at free movement and it breaks down from repetitive use.

The Flash needs something that doesn't restrict his movement, he needs something that moves freely and holds up under the type of high-speed movement he does.

As for his face not getting hit with bugs, um... the speed force, I suppose.
Flag
You missed the point. He doesn't need a suit as tough as leather because he might get road rash in a spill (although that's certainly true). He needs a suit as tough as leather to protect himself while moving at speed Imagining the Flash running full-speed through a cloud of gnats (or grasshoppers!) just puts a gruesome face on it. If he just has on a spandex-type suit, a couple of bad guys are going to get away from the Flash just by tossing a couple of handfuls of gravel (or caltrops) behind them as they flee.

What he REALLY needs is ballistic armor. Leather is the option that gives him enough freedom to move while still protecting him from the dangers of traveling faster than a rifle shot.
Flag
That's why he has the Speed Force, because we're hardly the first people to debate the science behind The Flash.

Terminal velocity on a human being is 125 mph in an upright pose, 200 mph in an aerodynamic pose, well below supersonic speed. Heat tiles and other aerospace objects are NOT FLEXIBLE, there isn't a single flexible object at that speed. The Flash needs to move his body very freely to run, so his suit needs to move equally freely - either it's protecting him, or it's not, and the details say that's not what he's using it for.

Leather would break down faster than the high tech swimsuit, it would crack apart very quickly. So now we have a "leather-like meta material" and that's not a well-thought-out argument either, there are plenty of materials to emulate that move more freely and offer similar levels of protection; the only reason to emulate leather if one has the choice is style, and that style comes with a lot of restrictions.

The Flash makes a choice - be fast, or be armored - because it definitely cannot be both. He chooses fast because that's his best defense. Leather armor would not work for him at all, not for ten minutes even at his speeds, he'd shred it to pieces. There is no substance that can help him with small debris strikes and air friction at the speeds he moves, so he has some other ability which does that.

So the costume is a costume, not armor, it's a statement and a disguise and a choice, and the producers' inability to understand that basic truth of The Flash is not a good sign for this show. A Flash whose only ability doesn't get used very often is a boring superhero, we don't need to return to the days of The Incredible Hulk where Bill Bixby puts in the green contacts at the midpoint and near the end of each hour.
More +
Flag
"There's no suit that could protect him from an impact at his speeds,"
Oh, then he's dead, and we're arguing about what suit to bury him in. In that case, doesn't matter... it's probably not an open casket.

"there isn't even one that could protect him from the friction of moving his limbs at supersonic speeds against the air"
Not true. Spacecraft that re-enter using aerobraking need heat shields, because they come in at Mach 25. Meanwhile, many materials operate just fine at supersonic speeds; and human flesh works at terminal velocity (the speed at which air resistance cancels out acceleration due to Earthly gravitation.
I'm not sure whether he's got a bigger problem with friction or windchill. The real problem remains striking objects which are in his path, and too small to avoid.

"Ballistic armor would hinder The Flash's movement severely"
Agreed. Thus, the compromise to leather (or leathery-type material. Your high-tech swimsuit is going to be full of holes the first time Flash runs around the city in it.

"As someone who has played sports in leathers, I can tell you that it doesn't allow much freedom at all, "
Would you rather be hindered and alive, or free and dead? Spacesuits have the same problem... they really hamper movement... but you have to protect the occupant of the suit FIRST, and give as much freedom of motion SECOND. There's a reason cops and soldiers don't wear armor all the time... but there's a reason they have it, too.
If the rules of game allowed people in the stands to randomly shoot shotguns at players when they felt like it, would you complain that playing in leather hampered yoru game? Because playing without it would seem to hamper it more.
(It also would probably convince you to play more often in non-shooting areas... which translates to a Flash who only goes to super-speed on rare occasions when he really needs it, which is just as well for the special-effects budget, and also cuts down on the writers using and-then-he-solves-the-problem-by-running-really-fast as a deus ex machina. See, for example, "The Six Million Dollar Man", which never got around to explaining how having Bionic legs and a bionic arm meant he could lift a car, being as how both arms and legs were anchored to a core still made of meat.
More +
Flag
There's no suit that could protect him from an impact at his speeds, there isn't even one that could protect him from the friction of moving his limbs at supersonic speeds against the air, but leather certainly wouldn't be close to one if there was. Something more aerodynamic and with faster response would be in order, something like an olympian's swim suit or ski suit (though not this year's Under Armor speed-skating suits, which had serious design flaws), which are thinner and more like spandex than leather to allow movement while channeling air.

Ballistic armor would hinder The Flash's movement severely, he wouldn't be able to achieve any speeds without just tearing it apart in moments. As someone who has played sports in leathers, I can tell you that it doesn't allow much freedom at all, ankles don't move, shoulders don't move, that's why I wore them, to strengthen my game out of them, and even then I destroyed a jacket (they also are terrible at breathing, by the time I was done with that jacket it had salt built up in the armpits).
Flag
"lightning bolt" I meant, oh well.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members