An Arrow Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW

A few weeks ago, The CW released the first image of Grant Gustin in costume for its highly anticipated in-the-works Arrow spin-off pilot, The Flash. It featured a smiling Gustin, but only showed the head of his suit. At the time, many of you said you'd reserve judgement until you saw the full outfit, so I hope you've done your judging stretches and worked those finger muscles, because we now have the first full image of Grant Gustin as Barry Allen as the Flash:

As Arrow fans already know, the potential series centers on Gustin's Barry Allen, an assistant from the Central City Police Department's Criminal and Forensic Science Division who ends up with superspeed after a freak accident at S.T.A.R. Labs. Gustin appeared as Allen in two episodes of Arrow this season, the latter of which served as the Flash's origin story and gave Allen his powers. 

The Flash's new look was created by Colleen Atwood, an Oscar-winning costume designer who also did Oliver's costume on Arrow. What do you think of the full suit? Is it practical? Does it come with built-in fans to keep the Flash cool when he super-speeds all over the place? But more importantly, does it look like it rides up?

thekaitling:list:what-do-you-think-of-the-flashs-full-costume/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/26/2017

Season 5 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/3/2017

Season 5 : Episode 20

86 Comments
Comments (86)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I smell EPIC FLOP in the wind...
I think its gonna suck
Flag
I like it, not loving it until I see it in the screen.
I highly recomend the movie Justice League: The Flash Point Paradox If you want to see the Reverse Flash in play. This movie was so, so great.

Also, rumor has it (or maybe it's official now) that Harley Quinn character will appear iin the next episodes of Arrow. Wow. Fangirling, very hard right now. Arrow is now the catalog of DC Universe coming to life. God Bless this show or like people said the gods of tv.
Flag
Not diggin' the suit. Arrow has been very grounded and "real" (ok, real for a comic book show) and that includes the costumes. This seems to be saying "screw it, lets look like a comic book" which, for me, totally blows the immersion I get when watching Arrow. Perhaps if it served some logical function (keeping his temperature down or reducing friction or something) then fine, but the logo and the ear bolts? ugh.
Flag
Unlike Geeen Arrow, the flash has actual super powers, and you're expecting a realistic show?

Hopefuly this will be grounded in reality, like any good story is, but it's the Flash, and he has super speed.
Flag
I love it ahhhhhhh I can't wait.
Flag
I wonder if the crotch is made out of kevlar :P
Flag
Not lovin' the suit. Love the Flash. One of my favorite comics. I really liked the old Flash tv series. The lightning bolt Ear thingies, great for the comic, but why would anyone go through the trouble of putting them on a suit. Unless their shlacked in super glue, all they're going to do is fall off over time. It's impractical. And the suit has definitely to much red.
Flag
I'm just one of those people who think there are comic book superheroes that have no business on the screen & should stay in the comic books. This just re-enforces my stance. It looks simply ridiculous
Flag
Not bad, I do wish they had gone with the yellow or gold boots and the lightning bolts around the forearms though. Can't really see if they went with the lightning bolt belt either, I hope its there otherwise it will really be a lot of red with nothing to cut it with.
Flag
Dawson's Dad wore it better.
Flag
The whole outfit seems to have that 1950's look of a man from outer space....
Flag
I think the real question here is:

Is the poor actor / stunt double who wears it be able to move at all?

I remember reading somewhere those suits are so tight you cannot even go up the stairs... was that with XMen? Can't remember now...
Flag
I actually like that he's on the skinny side seems modern, more brains less brawn. I agree with the poster who said it's be nice to see more of his face, having so much face mask looks a little bit cheesy imo for an updated 2014 Flash but overall I still like it.
Flag
The Flash needs a premiere date!
Flag
I like it. The Flash has always been one of my favorite superheroes but I always knew they'd have to do something about that costume. As much as liked CBS's show, the costume looked kind of silly and that's before you got to the sewn in muscles.

The flat 2d costumes of the comics do not transfer to well to the small or big screen, there is a NEED for alterations.

I love the fact that they put a lot more thought into how superhero costumes look on screen these days than they did years ago. Look at any show or movie prior to Hollywood's embrace of comics of the past decade and you'll see a big difference.

Flag
Judging from the obsessive discussion of clothing materials here, it's apparent that the TV.com staff no longer need to present photo recaps for their episode reviews, just fabric swatches. ;-)
Flag
Staff
It is, at least, better than the Wonder Woman otufit for the David E. Kelley-led pilot.
Flag
Staff
I don't know what you're talking about. This is obviously the best costume the world has ever seen.

Flag
Staff
I'm flagging that comment, Kaitlin.
Flag
I like him better without the mask - he's cute! :D
Flag
I like it. I think it does a god of job of capturing the original Flash look while staying way from the whole "men in tights" idea from the 1930s. But I may be biased since I like the Flash's costume because it has a functional use besides hiding his identity.
Flag
Not half bad. Although, I'm still holding out hope Grant bulks up a bit. Not like a hulking juggernaut, but more like an accomplished sprinter or hurdle jumper and less like a skinny lab geek.
Flag
I'll reserve my judgment until I see the trailer
Flag
So, no yellow at all, instead swapping for gold, but lots of immobile leather, what the fudge?
Other than that, despite the fact that it looks like a mishmash of things that come and go without reason and hard pieces that make no sense, it doesn't look half bad. Not sure why his ARMS get the movable material while his LEGS get the leather, seems backwards.

I'm voting that I like it better than when it was just the mask.
Flag
Staff
I don't care for the leather, either. I've decided, however, that if they did do the fabric-y material all the way through, he'd look a bit like Shocker, just more red than yellow.
Flag
HA! Man, that is so true, I can't unsee that now.

Oh god, I just noticed that there's a lightning bolt pattern in the seam on his leather helmet, great, now he's obsessed with lightning bolts.
Flag
What I don't get is, if you can move that fast, why do you even need to wear pants?
Flag
Floppage.
Flag
PG rating
Flag
I dont think that looks like leather so much as the material just has a certain sheen to it. That same material looks like it continues up the center of his chest as well. Perhaps they'll explain it as a specialized material used for more heat and friction resistance than the material on his arms. How they manage to still avoid explaining the lack of eye shielding is a bit baffling though.
Flag
Eh, this whole "special nano material" argument doesn't pass muster on a show like this, he's not a billionaire or wealthy at all. It's just like Spider-Man's webbing, believable on the page but not on the screen that he could invent this amazing material that could benefit all of mankind while being a broke punk kid.

And that's leather enough to be called it, you can see it in the mask image, it's got leather-like grain.
Flag
He's not broke. He's a Forensic Science Assistant for the CCPD. And he could get the suit from someone else like they did on the Flash series of 1990,
Flag
3M alone invests billions a year into research and development without coming up with these sorts of things, how is a guy who punches a timeclock going to be able to afford it? And don't forget, he has a day-job.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I'm going to pretend Oliver helped fund it. Or Felicity interfered. But agree that the material make up seems impractical.
Flag
I liked the older series as well. so I hoe like Arrow they will find a great way to reinterpret this series for tv.
Flag
So the flash can beat ollie hands down now right?
Flag
Having super speed is about like having a really fast car, if you don't know how to control it, you're just going to keep wrecking it. Especially if you have a tank chasing after you. You can surely outrun and outmaneuver it, but its not exactly the kind of fight you want to be in if you can't control the car you're in.
Flag
I didn't like the emblem on the chest, why'd that part have to be red instead of white like the suit from the comics? That's one part I find important but other than that I would very much like to see it on my screen before making any judgement since it's all about how the Flash acts too; Flash can be very cooky in a way and I hope Gustin can capture that.
Flag
I'm glad they're actually going with a proper costume rather than something that makes the hero look too lazy to get changed. I don't expect full tights but it should look like the hero is trying to be intimidating rather than just looking like a mostly-harmless street punk.

Flag
To be fair, it's not like anybody should be getting a good look at him, he moves pretty fast.
Flag
how about an option that says "eh, I'll wait til we see the suit in full action on the show."
Flag
Looks alright, not enough yellow and I am still on the fence about a leather costume. I will make up my mind when I see a trailer!
Flag
I wouldn't get too worked up about it being "leather". Sure in the real life costume it may in fact be leather but in Flash its likely the same "molecular fabric" that Barry made Ollie's mask out of on Arrow. They never called Ollie's mask "leather" even though it looks leather. What the costume is actually made out of and what the show provides as the explanation and presentation of it are two different things. We can't really know the latter until we see the pilot. Film of and action within it are the two overriding factors that have yet to be seen obviously. No one got their shorts in a wad over the "impracticality" of the Nolan Batman's electro-rigid cape material. "Oh that's just looks like rayon, Dammit Nolan, thanks for ruining Batman..."
Flag
I never questioned Nolan during his run with Batman, probably because I've been a fan of his since I watched Memento for the first time 10 years ago.

That's why I am waiting for a trailer before I fully judge, I don't watch Arrow so I wouldn't know what his mask is made out of in the show. At the moment it's not grabbing me, seeing it in action probably will change my mind. It's not that the costume is terrible, it's that the costume doesn't really appeal to me as a Flash fan for nearly 16 years.
Flag
Honestly, it's hard to make a big one-piece super suit look decent.

Think of the original Reeves Superman films or even TV's Lois and Clark... the thin cloth / spandex thing looked a bit funny.

The old 90's Flash series wasn't TOO bad, but it was still on the lame side looking back. It looked more like suede or perhaps cloth, with molded foam muscles underneath.

Batman's molded rubber / latex in the 80s/90s worked out OK but his look was a bit different than Flash's. His was a tactical armor and molded to make him look intimidating. The recent trilogy of films had a more utilitarian look but still -- make it look intimidating.

Honestly they have 5 directions they can go:
  1. Cloth
  2. Suede
  3. Rubber / latex
  4. Scuba suit material
  5. Plastic to look like shiny metal

Since the recent comics experimented with giving Flash a metal armor that molds to him.
Flag
Being a comic book fan for years I can see where you're coming from. As Flash runs, the vibration he creates would mean that leather isn't exactly practical. Then again, I am nit-picking...
Flag
Meh, I was just talking about the costume department making it look solid.

As far as real material in the comics, I forget where Flash resides. But yeh you'd definitely need some sort of special meta-material for him. I THINK the New52 reboot has him in metal but I forget.

But then again his speed and powers create soooo many physics issues that "The Speed Force" compensates for that it doesn't matter. They could explain it away with him wearing wearing tight t-shirts and biker shorts if they wanted to.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
my thoughts exactly. Arrow costume at least has hood from fabric.
It depends how dark or light series will be. But I would like more yellow and brighter red.
For F sake he is SCARLET SPEEDSTER, not burgundy speedster.
Flag
Of all the criticisms so far the red color (and the apparent lack of yellow/white accents) is the only one I feel even remotely strong about. I'm still taking a wait and see approach at least with the color. Neither of these PR shots have had anything remotely like natural or normal room light. It's entirely possible that the deep shadow of these shots is making it appear darker.

Additionally as this is the same team that does Arrow I would expect some evolution of the suit as a possibility over time. Arrow's hood has evolved since the pilot, his weapons have evolved from the wooden bow straight arrows to the compound and marginal trick arrows of this season. And of course the mask this season. There's no reason to believe that Flash wont see a similar evolution. Regardless this is as near perfect a start as I could envision. Things could be horribly, horribly worse.
Flag
The 90s TV show also had him a darker shade of red, ALMOST at the same shade here but slightly lighter. I recall seeing the old 90s series for the first time and thinking "Wow, I'd thought it would be lighter"

For a while the Flash's costume was a simple shade of red... but I recall at some point them making the costume slightly darker around the 90's.

But the pic above is kind of pushing it... it's a little TOO dark.
Flag
Word.
Flag
Wow. If you cover half of his face in the first pic, his mask looks like the back of the head of some rapper. Can't wait for the show. Just. Can't.
Flag
He's in an odd pose,so it's hard to see the full effect of the suit,but from that angle,it kinda looks o.k.!Hopefully we'll get another photo where we see the suit in a better light.Anyway,this series will survive based on good writing and not what the suit looks like.I've been a Flash fan since my early teens,so hopefully I won't be disappointed in this series.
Flag
Not enough black leather.

You can't have enough black leather with your superheroes. Case in point.

You could hide a black leather farm among all this black leather.
Flag
LOL. Haha remember this times.
Flag
As long as it has an array of cheesey jokes like Flash always makes in the justice league cartoons... I'm in
Flag
Haha. This is why I love Flash he always make me laugh. And of couse his ability to run so fast that can break the barrier of space and time.
Flag
I wouldn't count on it, if the characterization in the Arrow two-parter is any indication. Barry there came across as more of a nerdy nebbish.
Flag
That's disappointing... I love the clownish antics of the flash :(
Flag
It could change once he goes to series. I'm not sure that shy nebbish is exactly what you want for a main character carrying an entire show. Maybe his wit and social skills accelerate along with his metabolism. :)
Flag
Kinda like his 90s CBS incarnation.

And you don't even want to know what he was like in the aborted Justice League TV series...
Flag
A pretty boring costume for a pretty boring character. Not much different from previous interpretations (outside of Smallville where the character wore a unibomber style red hoodie) and doesn't do much to hide the character's identity. If they want to attract an audience outside of just those who read comics, they are going to have to try better to make it more interesting.
Flag
The 90s live action series was more suede or cloth.

AND, most importantly, they went with the "ripped body builder" look in that old show. They padded him with a lot of foam-muscles under that costume. The thing made him look as ripped a "Ahnold"
Flag
Can someone get him into a squat rack? Lunges? Box jumps, or at least doing actual sprints. Something to bulk his legs up from really skinny.
Flag
The costume, I like. The actor? Not so much. I never felt The Flash was a Peter Parker kind of nerd.
Flag
It looks a bit awkward but I suspect it might be the lighting. Will have to wait to see it in action before I decide whether I truly like it or not.
Flag
Not red enough.
Flag
Too skinny for a super hero.
Flag
I know comics are different from live action, but we get used to seeing superheros with a certain physique. Just for illustration purposes...

Flag
Yeah, well, until the girls on live-action versions start looking like comic-book Rogue, I'm not going to pay too much attention to the guys. Actually, if the girls look like Rogue, I won't be paying ANY attention to the guys.
Flag
Well, I have no idea who Rogue is, but even so I agree girls deserve much more attention.
Flag
Excellent boob point.
Flag
Those boobs look incredibly fake, or like they would hang down below her waist without the suit holding their shape and position. But I approve of the rest of her body.
Flag
Ok, now I remember her. Anna Paquin in the movies. She didn't call my attention.
Flag
Rogue is an X-Men character, and her touch can kill. But looking is free. Aerodynamically, I've never been able to understand how she can fly, but I've spent a lot of time pondering.
Flag
Honestly, I think a superhero who's metabolism is so ramped up might be a bit skinny. Remember all those bulky, top-heavy sprinters in high school? Me neither.
Flag
I remember Ben Johnson. What he did was not legal and was totally wrong. but still he was the fastest. This Flash might be OK for an ordinary sprinter, but not for a superhero. He has the physique of Kid Flash.
Flag
It actually looks pretty good. Practical, not overly busy, and comic book enough to be acceptable. Now to see how they do his "super speed" effect.
Flag
It's a CW show, so probably exactly like Glory's run (Buffy), Clark's run (Smallville) or the Vampires on The Vampire Diaries
Flag
That looks great! Can we just have the show please!
Flag
I was ready to sigh in dismay when I saw the headshot. But having seen the full poster-ish image......Wow!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members