Arrow Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

arrow not even trying to make sense

michalisthiou

[1]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 5

arrow goes on to kill 10-20-30 people to get to the bad guy in every episode

and then is hesitant about killing the bad guy, sometimes even going so far as to protect him

does that make sense to you?

I guess it wouldnt make for a compelling story if he just went in, killed everyone and the episode would finish at the 5 minute mark

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

moongrave

[2]Feb 8, 2013
    • level: 15
    If you're talking about him not killing Cyrus Vanch than it wasn't about protecting the villain but keeping Quentin Lance from becoming a killer, and right in front of his daughter, too.

noelrk

[3]Feb 8, 2013
    • level: 5

The show, annoyingly, plays the notion of these guys dying incrediblyamorphously. We've no idea if they're alive or dead or being carted off the hospitals. I only say this because Deadshot, WHO WAS SHOT THROUGH HIS EYEPIECE in his episode, has been confirmed as still being alive. Even though he was shot in the eye, and seemed pretty dead at the end of that episode.

So, beyond the notion that people just drop after taking an arrow (or small blade) to the torso, there's no indication that they're really dead or alive. It's not so much nonsensical as it is just frustratingly and unnecessarily vague.

I discussed this in a review for the show early on, and was basically mobbed by commenters saying that he's not killing anyone, especially given the weird classist issues that are going on as a result of some of this.

moongrave

[4]Feb 10, 2013
    • level: 15

He has killed plenty already, no doubt about that. Surviving an arrow to the chest would be the exception not the rule! Det. Lance is right when he calls him a killer.

"Arrow" (as a show) is pretty blasé about the killing of thugs, henchmen and such. That bothers me quite a bit since it doesn't really fit with the all over tune of the show. Yes, it's meant to be a bit darker, grittier (I haven't read any "Green Arrow" comics but from what I understand they were also darker in tune. On the other hand it seems the show's "Oliver Queen" has very little in common with the original "Green Arrow"). Still mass murder on a weekly basis, is that really necessary and appropriated?

Considering how often he has the advantage of surprise I'd find it much more interesting and a real display of skill if he at least tried to disable the "guards" with non-lethal methods. If he ends up killing the big bad (of the week) because that's the only way to stop them, I'm okay with that.

Really, I'm not against violence on TV but at least be honest about it and it should fit the story and how it's told.

Edited on 02/10/2013 6:38pm