Arrow Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CWIn Season

I won't get used to seeing the "wrong" face on the Green Arrow.

  • Avatar of JeTalis

    JeTalis

    [1]Sep 23, 2012
    • member since: 08/01/04
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 4

    I just can't imagine liking a show when the main character is played by the "Wrong" actor.
    ...*wrong meaning that I've already seen a very popular show with this character in it , played by another actor I had time to get used to, which was produced less than a generation ago.

    most of the audience already have green arrow's face "assigned" in their mind as the other actor, that justin hartley guy who was on Smallville.

    Edited on 09/23/2012 9:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mattgus

    mattgus

    [2]Sep 26, 2012
    • member since: 10/30/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 735
    i never watched smallville faithfully,but recently it is reruning early am on tnt and i have caught a few here and there. so yes even someone like myself knows who/what you are talking about it...i was thinking that it might be too much like another smalville,but i wouldn't know. of course with the popularity of that showmaybe that's what they hope...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ryanmck

    ryanmck

    [3]Oct 1, 2012
    • member since: 12/18/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 47

    I'm definitely gonna watch this show, it looks like a darker version of Smallville and based on Green Arrow so I'm on board. I agree with the assessment that the actor looks wrong for the part, but not because hes not Justin because hes not Blonde haired and doesnt look like the Green Arrow I've seen in comics and on Justice Leauge Unlimited (first place I ever heard of Green Arrow), thats the Green Arrow that always in my head even the GA on Young Justice looks like those ones so they all tend to fit. Couldn't someone have told them Oliver Queen has a goatee?


    Lets get ready for Arrow to have a nice long run on tv, this show is gonna rock

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RobertTole

    RobertTole

    [4]Oct 10, 2012
    • member since: 02/15/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3

    I don't see the big deal about a different actor. Happens all the time i say. Other than that I am looking forward to the dark spin they put into this show. Reduces the "cheesyness" of you will. Looking at the trailer the actor seems like he fits perfectly as Green Arrow because I thought the one in smallville was too cocky, immature and too funny for his role. Hope this turns out to be a great show leading to Justice league characters and so on. It has potential by the looks of it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [5]Oct 10, 2012
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    RobertTole wrote:

    ILooking at the trailer the actor seems like he fits perfectly as Green Arrow because I thought the one in smallville was too cocky, immature and too funny for his role.

    I kinda agree with you, I prefer this Arrow better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [7]Oct 14, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    Just watched the pilot for "Arrow". It was okay; but not great. I think the surrounding characters are interesting and possibly innovative takes on those comic characters (Dinah, Merlyn, Ollie's bodyguard) and the setup (Ollie takes down corrupt people in Star City, its more gritty and realistic than Smallville) for the series is about what I would have always wanted for a green arrow series. But the truth is Arnell's portrayal of GA isnothing but regressive. His Oliver Queen is boring and nothing but a attempted copy of Christian Bale's portrayal of Bruce Wayne. He has no charm or personality and is only brooding 24/7 (brooding only part of the time would be okay). The show seems to trying to copy The Dark Knight in all the wrong ways; yet it goes in the opposite direction on the costume which is basically a Robin Hood/monk style outfit. The truth is the show would be far better with theprevious portrayal (Hartley's) in the lead role. That character from Smallville should have been spun off a year ago with a similar premise (and no superpowered individuals). Thatwould have actually been pretty good. His portrayal wasn't cheesy but charming and capable of being a brooding character without suckingall ofthe life out of the character. His outfit was better, slicker and, technologically driven (which is similar to The Dark Knight in all of the right ways). If Oliver is a billionaire he shouldn't be wearing clothes that look like they're from previous centuries.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of antdude

    antdude

    [8]Oct 18, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/04
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 3,695
    I am used to Smallville's Green Arrow actor too, but this one will require for me to get used to.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CrazyAsian1080

    CrazyAsian1080

    [9]Oct 19, 2012
    • member since: 11/29/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 178

    Even if Hartley wanted to play Queen in this new show, they shouldn't have cast him. People realize this is like a complete reboot of the Green Arrow story right. The two characters have the same general back story but there are pretty giant differences when it comes to some of the details. It literally has nothing to do with Smallville at all. This isn't, GA's origin story before he appeared on Smallville. It's just like how you wouldn't cast Cumberatch in Elementary.


    Amell isn't doing a bad job. Though he is coming off slightly wooden and awkward at times (it's the fact he doesn't swing his arms when he walks sometimes). Also, he isn't transitioningbetween Arrow and playboy as easily as Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman did. But that could be intentional.

    Edited on 10/19/2012 5:37am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Marburg66

    Marburg66

    [10]Oct 25, 2012
    • member since: 07/19/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 38
    I fully agree with CrazyAsian. Amell is doing a decent job so far.

    Smallville's GA was both a blessing & a curse. A blessing in that people got an introduction to a minor DC character, but a curse in that it was in Smallville.

    As time goes on & people get invested in the characters while they develop, people will understand that Arrow & Smallviille have absolutely no connection. Hartley's version of GA will sink down the memory hole soon enough & Amell's version will become the definitive one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of katpup

    katpup

    [11]Oct 26, 2012
    • member since: 03/02/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 3

    I rather enjoy the way this green arrow is portrayed. Amell is fine, so long as he doesn't talk. Am I the only one who is slightly turned off by the highish pitch of his voice? I liked the Smallville version for what it was. He made Smallville more enjoyable. But I have already disconnected myself from him, to a degree. He wouldn't fit Arrow and Amell wouldn't fit Smallville. Apples and oranges.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of harpier

    harpier

    [12]Oct 26, 2012
    • member since: 01/15/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 131

    I have absolutely no problem getting used to a new face in a familiar role. I only watched Smallville for the first season long, long ago and was therefore never introduced to Hartley's portrayal, but it's a common enough phenomenon, particularly in the realm of comic book heroes. How many actors have played the Hulk in the past ten years, or Superman? And it's little different than seeing a familiar face in a new role, such as David Ramsey who's now playing Queen's bodyguard John Diggle, but who I remember quite vividly as Debra's boyfriend in Season 3 of Dexter.



    I also have no problem with modifying a character's look. It happens within comic books enough and even more often in movie and television adaptations. I mean, who can imagine Wolverine's hair before Frank Miller got his hands on him. Very rarely is a physical trait too closely associated with a character to change, especially if its done well.



    As of three episodes in, I'm quite liking Amell. His very restrained take on Oliver Queen may come off as "wooden," as some other comments have suggested, though I think this is very deliberate and contrasts well with his pre-shipwreck persona. The tone of the whole show is much darker than I remember Smallville ever being, but I think Amell brings a wryness and bruised stoicism to Queen that the show can unfold later. I look forward to it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of haldrey

    haldrey

    [13]Oct 27, 2012
    • member since: 02/23/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,924
    It is a bit difficult after so many years of watching the Oliver Queen of Smallville, but since the Arrow storyline is so much different from the Smallville storyline it helps the process of getting used to the new Oliver Queen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [14]Oct 29, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    CrazyAsian1080 wrote:


    Also, he isn't transitioning between Arrow and playboy as easily as Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman did. But that could be intentional.



    But they're trying too hard to make him an exact copy of Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight. Hartley's version wasn't merely a copy of Bruce Wayne but a GA that could stand out on its own. He created a unique personality for the character. That's why Hartley's version of GA was so much better than Arnell's.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [15]Oct 29, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    harpier wrote:


    I also have no problem with modifying a character's look. It happens within comic books enough and even more often in movie and television adaptations. I mean, who can imagine Wolverine's hair before Frank Miller got his hands on him. Very rarely is a physical trait too closely associated with a character to change, especially if its done well.





    Except that the look on this show has regressed. He's back to being a carbon copy of Robin Hood with Bruce Wayne's personality. The outfit is a joke, it's no different than Robin Hood's. When GA was on Smallville the outfit was improved upon greatly and was full of technology (like Batman); it made the character more interesting to watch. If he's a millionaire why wouldn't he be using great technology? Without all of that the character is just boring.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Marburg66

    Marburg66

    [16]Oct 29, 2012
    • member since: 07/19/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 38

    Regression is subjective, really...but If you want to get technical, GA has never pretended to be anything but a bastard love child between Robin Hood & Bruce Wayne since the day of his initial creation. That was simply what the character was created as & DC rolled with it for years.


    Can't really fault the character itself for simply being what it is.


    Hell, The mere fact that Arrow is "Batman & ROBIN Hood" is THE primary reason it's on the air. This is obvious to those like you & me who know that the CW wanted to do a Green Arrow series only because WB disallowed Batman to be used because of the Nolan franchise. I understand your bias towards the Smallville version of Green Arrow: You've had alot time to get attached to that version of the character...& therefore quick to marginalize this new version as inferior based on only 3 episodes.


    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt that Hartley's GA totally won over your heart & mind within only 3 smallville appearances. I saw those episodes too & if you claim otherwise, then I'd be forced to call BS on ya.


    Hartley's GA had to grow on you over time like it did for the rest of us. Three episodes deep on Arrow so far & you're already ready already to toss in the towel? Meh. You smell more like a fan of smallville more than a fan of the GA character...that's fine & all & I'd be an ass to fault you for it...but since smallville is irrelevant in the universe of Arrow, I'd suggest you either abandon ship on the new show entirely, or take a chill pill the size of an oreo cookie until you get the hang of the fact that this is more akin to 'The Longbow Hunters" than some Superman Smallville side story. The Smallville era is over & it's time to wake up & catchup or simply move on & tune out

    Edited on 10/29/2012 9:27pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CrazyAsian1080

    CrazyAsian1080

    [17]Oct 30, 2012
    • member since: 11/29/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 178

    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    But they're trying too hard to make him an exact copy of Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight. Hartley's version wasn't merely a copy of Bruce Wayne but a GA that could stand out on its own. He created a unique personality for the character. That's why Hartley's version of GA was so much better than Arnell's.



    The irony is GA was originally created to cash in on thesuccess of Batman. That's why they are so similar. In the early comics GA was literally Batman with a bow and in green. He swung around the city and had an Arrow Cave, and an Arrow Mobil, and an Arrow-place, etc.


    I actually didn't like Hartley's GA at first. It was so much more bubbly than what I imagined, but over time it grew on me. I mean if you think about it, Harkley's GA is like Human Target and Arnell's GA is more like PoI. Both are good, but they are just different.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [18]Oct 31, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    Marburg66 wrote:


    Regression is subjective, really...but If you want to get technical, GA has never pretended to be anything but a bastard love child between Robin Hood & Bruce Wayne since the day of his initial creation. That was simply what the character was created as & DC rolled with it for years.


    Can't really fault the character itself for simply being what it is.


    Hell, The mere fact that Arrow is "Batman & ROBIN Hood" is THE primary reason it's on the air. This is obvious to those like you & me who know that the CW wanted to do a Green Arrow series only because WB disallowed Batman to be used because of the Nolan franchise. I understand your bias towards the Smallville version of Green Arrow: You've had alot time to get attached to that version of the character...& therefore quick to marginalize this new version as inferior based on only 3 episodes.


    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt that Hartley's GA totally won over your heart & mind within only 3 smallville appearances. I saw those episodes too & if you claim otherwise, then I'd be forced to call BS on ya.


    Hartley's GA had to grow on you over time like it did for the rest of us. Three episodes deep on Arrow so far & you're already ready already to toss in the towel? Meh. You smell more like a fan of smallville more than a fan of the GA character...that's fine & all & I'd be an ass to fault you for it...but since smallville is irrelevant in the universe of Arrow, I'd suggest you either abandon ship on the new show entirely, or take a chill pill the size of an oreo cookie until you get the hang of the fact that this is more akin to 'The Longbow Hunters" than some Superman Smallville side story. The Smallville era is over & it's time to wake up & catchup or simply move on & tune out



    I would say that the character of Green Arrow has never really been that good (never been a big seller, struggled for years) until Smallville managed to tweak the character into being interesting. That allowed the character to stand on its own and not just be a lame ripoff of Bruce Wayne and Robin Hood. In the comics he simply was a bruce wayneknockoff combined with a bow and arrow like Robin Hood. That's not all together very interesting. Smallville made the Green Arrow side of him far more exciting; he wasn't just simply the same as Robin Hood. Yes, the bow and arrow theme remained but the outfit was full of technology; it made sense (he's a billionaire after all). The outfit was sleeker; sort of a cool unibomber style outfit. Oliver Queen as a person was actually charismatic and not simply just boring and brooding like Bruce Wayne. That was what was so great about that interpretation; it was actually exciting. Now for the surrounding characters, I find them intriguing. But for the interpretation we're getting on this show, I just don't think its anywhere as interesting. It's a step down. Green Arrow should stand on its own like it did on Smallville and not simply be just a less interesting copy of The Dark Knight trilogy.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Marburg66

    Marburg66

    [19]Oct 31, 2012
    • member since: 07/19/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 38

    I understand peoples bias. Really, I do. They've had multiple seasons of getting attached to one guy, then, here comes a new guy playing a different character with the same name & it just doesn't feel right because it's not what they're used to, spurring them to make a premature comparison between an apple & an orange. Before Smallville, most people simply only knew that the character of Green Arrow existed & never actually read the comics...& trust me, there is not a single person who's familiar with the comics that would disagree with the fact that GA was originally created as a lazy Batman knockoff (never mind the fact that Batman himself was simply just a lazy knockoff of The Shadow) Hell, before the mid-eighties, GA wasn't even worth having a solo title of his own...but it was that post-Watchmen era reboot in the 80's that expanded the character & made everything about him much, much darker, & interesting to read...& that's (in essence) the version we have here now with Arrow...For those that are disappointed that this is not a Smallville spinoff in any way, if you decide to keep watching the show, let the character develop as it will over the season, then come back here & revisit your initial opinions to see how much it changes 'tween then & now.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dec1964

    Dec1964

    [20]Oct 31, 2012
    • member since: 12/05/09
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 739

    I dont think Justin Hartley wanted to take on the role of the


    Green Arrow again.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.