Arrow Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

I won't get used to seeing the "wrong" face on the Green Arrow.

OdumC

[21]Nov 2, 2012
    • level: 8
    I watched the entire run of smallville and was used to Hartleys portrayal of GA and was disappointed to hear he wouldn't be reprising the role here.

But after watching the pilot, he just wouldn't fit into this imagining of the franchise. he was more geared towards the teen angst/soap opera format of Smallville.. This is a much darker, grittier show that just wouldn't suit him or his talents. Smallville was more "Comic book" while this seems to be more "Criminal procedural" As for the look not being right, or him acting too wooden, come on.. we're only 4 episodes into the series. if they unveiled the finished product in the pilot there'd be no reason to appreciate the growth as the character slowly comes into his own here.

Give the guy time to get used to the role and keep in mind the character WAS just lost at sea for 5 years.. he's allowed some quirks as he gets used to civilization again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[22]Nov 15, 2012
    • level: 23
    Besides that, almost every tv actor takes a bit of time to truly find their character. There are the occasional few who get it right off the bat, but characterization almost always marches on, whether by actors finally connecting to the character or by writers finally settling on how to write for the character.

Examples: Michael Shanks/Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG-1 slowly evolved from being a near carbon copy of the movie version of the character into the way he would be portrayed for the rest of the series. Amanda Tapping/Samantha Carter of the same series started out as a straw feminist, but evolved into...well...not a straw feminist (not really sure how to describe her aside from that since I'm not really a huge fan of the character). Matt Smith/The 11th Doctor started out as "David Tennant's replacement" in season 5 of Doctor Who, but in season 6, you really start seeing him as "The Doctor." Jonathan Frakes/Will Riker of Star Trek: The Next Generation started out as a Captain Kirk clone, but he became his own character in season 2 after "growing the beard" both literally and figuratively.

mrjimmyjames

[23]Nov 18, 2012
    • level: 7

Marburg66 wrote:

I understand peoples bias. Really, I do. They've had multiple seasons of getting attached to one guy, then, here comes a new guy playing a different character with the same name & it just doesn't feel right because it's not what they're used to, spurring them to make a premature comparison between an apple & an orange. Before Smallville, most people simply only knew that the character of Green Arrow existed & never actually read the comics...& trust me, there is not a single person who's familiar with the comics that would disagree with the fact that GA was originally created as a lazy Batman knockoff (never mind the fact that Batman himself was simply just a lazy knockoff of The Shadow

You don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying. It's not a matter of bias, it's a matter of interpretation by producers. Irregardless of who's playing the character, IMO this interpretation of the character is not very good. It mostly has turned Oliver Queen into a low rent copy of Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne from The Dark Knight trilogy. Obviously the character has long been similar and there are IMO good things to copy from Batman (like a sleek technology driven suit that's full of gadgets), but this interpretation of the character has only copied Bruce Wayne in the worst way possible: being brooding. That's wonderful that it works for Batman, but IMO it doesn't for Oliver and as a result doesn't allow him to stand on his own; it only makes him come off as a pale imitation of Bruce Wayne. The show feels more like a Batman show that couldn't get the rights to Batman than a Green Arrow show. Oliver should have a personality and be likeable. But not only is he an over the top brooding character here, he's just plain unlikeable. He's a complete jerk and not to mention, a murderer (despite whatever transformation to hero his narration claims to place when he left the island). Oliver should at least be a likeable easy going guy, I think that is a better interpretation, irregardless of whether or not Smallvile had that type of interpretation or not (but I do think they had a interpretation the way it should be). And its not a matter of apples and oranges, that character could have easily fit into this world created on Arrow. Hartley's interpretation was very realistic, it's not as if Star City would have had to have super powered beings in it, it would have been a whole different place.

Marburg66

[24]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 6
    To each his own & everything. If I were one to have preferred a lighter, Hartleyesque version of GA & instead got the version portrayed in Arrow, I'd probably be irritated too.

The reason I'm not is because I know the source material & era of GA they're basing it on...& yes, deep down, I agree that It's in a number of ways, crutching as a TV Dark Knight redeux...but that's simply what TV does along with other media. They mimic a successful formula in order to capitalize on a trend. The trend in this case is the brutally violent, gritty realism that was pervasive in the comic biz in the late 80's & 90's Nolan's Batman is largely based on Frank Miller's Batman & back in the day, that was one of the major springboards that rebooted dozens upon dozens of other comic characters into darker versions of their former selves. Green Arrow included.

It's perfectly fine that you hold the personal opinion that the producers interpretation of the character is not very good...that doesn't actually mean though, that it's actually bad. Personally, I think they're doing a great job interpreting influences of the Iron age, Mike Grell version of the character. The opportunity to even have that version on screen is thanks to DK's success, so it should be expected that Arrow's gonna lift things off of it for a season or two. The characters & show will develop over time & evolve its own identity, so it's not an issue that will last forever.

I remember when they screwed up John Contintine from Hellblazer by letting Keaneu Reeves play the part with a horrible script that had very little to do with the actual basis of the character itself. I tell you what...I was Pissed. but, like it not, that was the version I had to deal with. I simply had to accept what they made or pine for another day when some WB exec calls for a Hellblazer do-over.

silverdevilruga

[25]Nov 21, 2012
    • level: 3

Ok its great to be back on a site where people that like to talk about Comics and know what they are talking about ~ damn finally

But first this whole "Green Arrow" Yes he is a knockoff of Batman but the character is supremely differs from Batman on 2 Angles...he is a Playboy as Oliver and as Green Arrow he is a true Ladies Man hence why he defrosted Black Canary and finally got her to marry him.

Second - Green Arrow is a man that will always do the Honest thing he is the true "Conscience of the Justice League" that's why he joined up to keep them honest the only one there that has no powers among Powerful "God-Types" like Superman, Green Lantern, and even Wonder Woman Batman is the Realist of the group he keeps the group honest and straight forward....

Now back to this Series This is a different take on Oliver not because he is Brooding he is not failing his fathers words about re-taking the city from the corrupt bureaucrats that have destroyed the people of Starling City. He is steadfast and he is on a Crusade its like Batman yes...but i believe that it will be a Season or two before they actually get to the Fun-Loving Oliver Queen that will defeat the badguys and save the damsel in distress. This new Actor portraying a focused, Self-determined Oliver that isn't going to stop his crusade and his mission of saving Starling City and rebuild it under a "New" Queen Consortium he isn't doing a bad job....i just have some problems with him "Killing" Major Baddies like Deadshot, and Constantine Drakon, and hell even survive against Deathstroke....i hope they don't keep this wierdness up because if he can even fight Deathstroke and defeat him then he is a God of Martial Arts cause Batman couldn't do it and Batman has been tweeked to the point that he is a Fighting God in the comics in the 90's - 2000's.

The Acting is not bad its a little Dry only because they are STILL getting Characters up and running, people have to get used to their characters and build from that....Arnell is still filling a HUGE shoe being Oliver Queen not because of the "smallville" Fans but because of how WB wants to reboot a low brow character to the new fans and see if its good then they can work on other Live-Action tv shows like for WW or hell even Flash again. Im going to keep giving Arrow a Shot and You guys should also because its NOT THAT bad its still too early right now wait till like season 2 or 3 to make a determined factor or hell Season 1's Season Finale if they do a good cliffhanger then it will keep you suspenced till the Later Fall Season.

Cheers

Dec1964

[26]Dec 2, 2012
    • level: 33

I think Stephen Amell is perfect as The Green Arrow.

silverdevilruga

[27]Dec 4, 2012

I agree i think Stephen Arnell will do a good job with this version of Green Arrow and it will take maybe 2 seasons including this one for him to get into a better degree...the Writing needs to be better, and the way they are focusing on certain characters needs a bit more tweeking but of course i have to digress that this whole Universe of Green Arrow is made for the Younger non-comic book reading characters and some of them are made for the ones who have already seen Smallville...and also majorly of course for the Young Girls cause there are barely any over-weight FAT cops...baddies or anyone ive seen yet on this show and even on Smallville they are heavy but muscular and pretty boyish so there isn't much character realism with the people in the series yet...but who cares its still entertaining but i hope they re-write and make the characters and even Green Arrow more cooler and not kill off certain very good characters especially long-lived characters!

Anguis

[28]Jan 9, 2013
    ryanmck wrote:

Couldn't someone have told them Oliver Queen has a goatee?

In the first episode when hes rescued from the island is where he "looks" like the GA we associate from the comics. I was disappointed when he "cleaned up". As for choice of actor, Im fine with it. I only dislike the lack of expression during any of the "drama" ... it feels like he isnt fitting into the role of blending in....that or theyre trying to portray that hes still on edge from his experience.

Dec1964

[29]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 33

Anguis wrote:
    ryanmck wrote:

Couldn't someone have told them Oliver Queen has a goatee?

In the first episode when hes rescued from the island is where he "looks" like the GA we associate from the comics. I was disappointed when he "cleaned up". As for choice of actor, Im fine with it. I only dislike the lack of expression during any of the "drama" ... it feels like he isnt fitting into the role of blending in....that or theyre trying to portray that hes still on edge from his experience.

Well he was on the island for 5 years & we still dont know what happened

during those 5 years.

Edited on 02/21/2013 4:21am

Yaspaa

[31]Mar 9, 2013
    • level: 79
    Smallville is a decade+ old and that Green Arrow would have had the same vibe. A new direction and a clean slate was required, and as much as I loved Smallville things need to change.

antdude

[32]Mar 21, 2013
    • level: 27
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Smallville is a decade+ old and that Green Arrow would have had the same vibe. A new direction and a clean slate was required, and as much as I loved Smallville things need to change.
    I was a Smallville fan. I like this darker Arrow series. Less humor and silliness too.

JowanLewis

[33]Apr 4, 2013
    • level: 2

From what I'm reading on this forum people think that being on an island for 5 years, trying to survive against the elements, indigenous animals, and mercenaries. He is going to bounce back like "BOOING!" I'm Oliver Queen and that island is nothing! Heck NO! he is going to have a very hard time going from (island) . There is nothing that can happen that will bounce him back unless he transforms himself. This Oliver is more like Batman that Green Arrow and that's fine. After a few season and things going his way and becoming Starling City's bright hero and thing he becomes more and more like Green Arrow from the comics...I'm giving it more time and i think it will become better!

Sci-FiLover22

[34]Aug 7, 2013

i get what alot of what some people are saying.theyve been so used to justin hartley playing green arrow its odd to see someone else playing green arrow.

i mean for example.buffy the vampire slayer.kristy swason played buffy in the movies.so when it became a tv show alot of people thought kristy was gonna play the role again and then they get sarah which somepeople got confused.over the years people really loved sarah as buffy alot more than they liked kristy as buffy.now their playing on making a buffy the vampire slayer movie with another actress thats not sarah.

or with superman i think the best superman was dean cain.but their many others who played that role.so fans like certain supermans others dont.

so i get what people are saying.so far anell is doing a great job.

trust me its gonna take some time for others to warm up to him.im still trying to warm up to this new buffy movie because i like buffy so much but its gonna be odd not seeing sarah play her.just like superman its very strange to see tom play superman but i warm up to him.

to each its own you know.

hhpb

[35]Aug 30, 2013

When Hartley became Green Arrow I thought he had the "wrong" face because I was familiar with Superfriends and the comics. Green Arrow was supposed to have a beard at the time. Hartley had a smooth face. There was a time in the 1970's when Green Arrow was clean-shaven but that wasn't long. It's wrong, it's just different.

SupermanNYC

[36]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 45

Stephen Amell is playing a great Green Arrow. I hoping they will have him wear the mask instead of the makeup Mask.

hueyf

[37]May 29, 2014
    • level: 6

Arrow>smallville's green arrow