Arrow Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Is Tommy going to turn evil?

smuggler

[1]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 1

As Merlyn is Green Arrows arch nemesis in most of the comic storeys but has so far been portrayed as Oliver Queens best friend and has shown absolutely to combat skills at all I was wondering what direction everyone thinks the writers are going to take the character in? Are they going to do a Smallville and have best friends become mortal enemies or are they going to completely rewrite the character? tour thoughts please.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 100
    Passing on your family name of Merlyn (or not changing it) is probably not a good idea with those kind of things. He'll either turn out to be evil or a wizard.

Really - when you pass on names to your kids like "Sinestro" or "Doom", would any parent expect them to turn out as normal, well-adjusted heroic adults?
    Edited on 11/03/2012 4:16pm

CrazyAsian1080

[3]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 7

This is basically a ret-con so they can take as much or as little from the cannon as they want. The writers might just like the irony of having Merlin as Arrow's bff instead of his enemy.

mrjimmyjames

[4]Nov 18, 2012
    • level: 7

Of course he's going to become evil. They're going for the ironic best friends turned enemies route that always ends up being very intriguing. Much like Harry Osborn or Lex Luthor on Smallville. I myself don't really know what to make out of it. It is intriguing but but hasn't this idea played itself out yet? Maybe they should of went another route with the character of Merlyn?

silverdevilruga

[5]Nov 21, 2012
    • level: 3

I think if they are going to do this "Evil" Transformation for Tommy they should do not the obvious i would have him get angry that he lost Laurel, Oliver is geting fame, He is taking over his father's company when he said he didn't want it, Leaves the Club and Now he should find out Oliver is the Green Arrow....all this builds up and he just accepts it and be his friend...Gets Captured...and brainwashed....subjugated to rigerous torture and augmentations....his memory wiped....extensive Training hand to hand/Bow and arrow....and becomes the Dark Archer/Merlyn

Sounds familiar right! i dunno the whole Bucky/Winter Soldier rings a bell...go that angle and make Dark Archer be Green Arrows biggest Regret that he couldn't save him from what happened to him and Tommy embraces what happened to him at the end when he finally remembers what happened.

That would be better than the stupidest idea to have him go through a anger rage....against Oliver and becomes The Dark Archer!

Marburg66

[6]Nov 28, 2012
    • level: 6

Tonights episode was a relief to me because I could much more readily accept the possibility of Daddy Merlyn developing into a rival enemy than the son. I was worried there for a little while they might create excuses to try & go that way

I now consider that evil nemesis Tommy bullet officially dodged.

Dec1964

[7]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 32

I always thought Tommy was going to turn evil, ever since

the pilot episode.

Edited on 11/29/2012 3:12am

silverdevilruga

[8]Dec 4, 2012
    Marburg66 wrote:

Tonights episode was a relief to me because I could much more readily accept the possibility of Daddy Merlyn developing into a rival enemy than the son. I was worried there for a little while they might create excuses to try & go that way

I now consider that evil nemesis Tommy bullet officially dodged.

No that would be messing with the story they are right now doing the same as they did in smallville they introducing his man nemesis then introduce the Father that will push him down that path to make him the Dark Archer....

i.e Lex Luthor and Lionel Luthor?

Marburg66

[9]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 6

Time will tell how the story will play out. It's a fair assumption that they may redo the whole Lionel/Lex thing, but I'm not running on that assumption myself for specific reasons:

1- The show can't separate itself from Smallville if it blatantly lifts and rehashes such a core character component...I default to assuming the show ultimately won't be that lazy about it.
    2- If Tommy were named 'Arthur' I'd be more apt to entertaining the notion he'd somehow evolve into the Anti-Arrow over the course of multiple seasons...as it stands, all I know is that Merlyn Sr. has all the ingredients & so far fits the bill much, much better. Like I said though, time will tell ::shrug::

Speaking of Smallville, to be honest, I'm hoping that Tommy ends up getting the 'Pete treatment' & gets written out of the show sooner rather than later. the character is just too useless for screen time. I say prop up the one that already shows promise.

Dec1964

[10]Dec 6, 2012

I see Tommy becoming the perfect nemesis to the Arrow.

Edited on 12/06/2012 2:57am

criminalistppd

[11]Dec 6, 2012
    I hope he gets written out soon...I don't care for his character at all

silverdevilruga

[12]Dec 6, 2012

I say give the character a chance first Tommy is nothing like Lex Luthor...we don't now much of the Merlyn character the Dark Archer character to be precise. So the development from him being the bubbly, playboy that wants to have a great girl to be with him to the Psychopathic Murder Archer from the Green Arrow Days will take a long time and a lot of heartache, and hatred for him to go down that path...and i believe his father taking him down that path and not turning away will be an awesome take on the character....his Father shouldn't do nothing like Lionel he should be straight and narrow as the full head baddie for the whole series, Tommy should go down that path and do what Lex does kill his father assume position of the whole baddie conglomerate thats going on.

I say give Tommy a shot don't put him down just yet he is just too goodie yet right now it takes time for him to become a Villian to the likes Oliver has to defeat to save Starling City.

Dec1964

[13]Dec 13, 2012

After seeing the episode "Year's End" oh yes i do, Laurel isn't really in love with him.

Found that out in this episode.

hell693

[14]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 11
    i think Tommy's dad will die and Tommy will turn evil eventually but we dont know when or how.

abdulay31

[16]Jan 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    I think Tommy's resentment towards Oliver will play a big role in him turning evil and anti- Arrow as he will discover him as the Hood maybe after losing Laurel to Oliver or maybe Arrow take out his dad as being on the list.

Dec1964

[17]Jan 16, 2013

criminalistppd wrote:
    I hope he gets written out soon...I don't care for his character at all

I want Tommy's character to become evil, this whinny attitude on how daddy cut me off i have no money is very irritating.

dragon22a

[18]Jan 22, 2013
    I think that it will be similar to how Harry Osborn took over for his father Norman as Green Goblin. Tommy will find out his father is the Dark Archer just in time for Oliver to kill him. Tommy will vow revenge and take up the mantle of Dark Archer to take on Green Arrow. Whether he becomes aware that Oliver is the vigilante is a question. Likely he would have to be trained, possibly by the group behind the list.

yutg25

[19]Jan 24, 2013
    • level: 5

dragon22a wrote:
    I think that it will be similar to how Harry Osborn took over for his father Norman as Green Goblin. Tommy will find out his father is the Dark Archer just in time for Oliver to kill him. Tommy will vow revenge and take up the mantle of Dark Archer to take on Green Arrow. Whether he becomes aware that Oliver is the vigilante is a question. Likely he would have to be trained, possibly by the group behind the list.

I completely agree. Though I think Merlyn Sr. goes down and Tommy finds the armory and see his picture there and "go so my daddy really love me thing". Revenge on the hood. Though I think they'll save that until a few more seasons in. Maybe after Daddy archer goes down in a season Finale so Tommy will have the break between seasons to train. I suspect Laurrel will break up with Tommy First though and the writers will settle "The Island story-arc before that happens". Hell Maybe Tommy will be trained by the same master as Oli that would be a twist.