Arrow Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

You have failed this city!!! Really?

anngel421

[1]Oct 25, 2012
    • level: 17

Okay... I'm all for catchphrases on superhero shows but really? I mean its just so cheesy. I kinda want to laugh out loud every time I have heard it so far and I applauded dead shot for stopping arrow from saying it in the beginning of ep 3. Also is it necessary to repeat his "mission" so to speak at the start of every episode?

Im watching it so far out of morbid curiosity, upcoming John barrowman episodes and to see if it can pick up speed past the whole "mission" thing. And if I'm honest, it's the only cow show that has my interest. Supernatural is showing its age, I never watched the Monday "girl power" hour, and everything else is just blah.

gotta say though, I really love the character of John diggle and Det. lance. i see him being a bit of a comissioner gordon type later on in the show, only if arrow gets off his vengance thing. Hate the best friend. His sister is so cliched but if done right I can so see her being "speedy" the character or is she supposed to be Artemis?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mangatron

[2]Oct 25, 2012
    • level: 2

anngel421 wrote:

Okay... I'm all for catchphrases on superhero shows but really? I mean its just so cheesy. I kinda want to laugh out loud every time I have heard it so far and I applauded dead shot for stopping arrow from saying it in the beginning of ep 3. Also is it necessary to repeat his "mission" so to speak at the start of every episode?

I actually don't mind what he says, I mean, what else is he supposed to say? "Your time is up"" "Your days are numbered"? Considering his mission is to clean up the corruption, I think it sends a strong message about the rich who have cheated the lower class, and the glades that resulted from it.

So maybe we just need to get used to it. Of course, it might have been funny if the first thing he said to the guy in the beginning of episode 03 was "Cold night out, huh?" And then the guy gets startled

anngel421

[3]Oct 26, 2012

I think what bothers me is that as super hero shows go, its a little too serious that its coming off as cheesy. I'll still watch it because with Diggle now in the know maybe it'll finally lighten up a bit. I guess I'll hope that eventually they'll fade the catchphrase.

Yaspaa

[4]Oct 26, 2012
    • level: 79
    Do you feel lucky, punk?

harpier

[5]Oct 26, 2012
    • level: 9

anngel421 wrote:

While I'm completely on board about the repetition of Arrow's "mission," I think it's important for two reasons. The first is the most practical: the CW is still courting new viewers for the show who may or may not be watching from the pilot on. These viewers need a brief--which likely means stark and cheesy--summary of Arrow's vigilante justice. The second, and by far the more thematically important: Green Arrow's a traumatized survivor likely suffering from PTSD and a variety of other trauma-induced sociological problems. His "mission" and how he goes about it are in large part influenced by these disorders. I think it will change as the show develops, and it will certainly be something the show should--and likely will--explore. Until then, I can handle it.

anngel421

[6]Oct 27, 2012

Thank you for a clear and well written response.

I kinda assumed that the cw was doing the recaps for that reason but it was bugging me a little. Maybe it's the main actors inability to do voice over monologues.

but I really didn't think about the emotional scarring aspect of the character. It makes complete sense that he is brooding and erratic and unable to find his footing yet.

I just... Have you seen the dc animated universe shows? The batman series, superman, justice league unlimited .. .etc?

I think in my mind, I have that ollie stuck in my head. I don't count smallville's only because even then the JLU green arrow was a bit more quintessential for me. He had an edge and a sense of humor that made him able to stand on par with batman.

Maybe it's the delivery of the line or the fact that its becoming a little procedural or something or the fact that elements of the show that are supposed to be intriguing, just aren't. I've always like Katie Cassidy, ever since supernatural, but for some reason her as Diana aka black canary isn't compelling. The evil mother character is still a bit bleh, and the compelling villains like china white and dead shot are hardly seen.

I don't doubt that this show can find its footing... Heck I'll still watch it... I just will cringe every time he delivers "you have failed this city!"

OdumC

[7]Nov 7, 2012
    • level: 8
    He could always say "Get the point?" then shoot them.. cause it's an arrow.. and they're pointy...

ok worth a shot.. anyways, it loses some of it's cheesiness when he says "You failed this city" then, you know, KILLS them...

jwgrlrrajn

[8]Nov 15, 2012
    • level: 23
    I actually like the line. It's fairly original, and it seems fairly fitting to say to the white collar scum of Star(ling) City.

titan4lizife

[9]Nov 15, 2012
    • level: 16
    The line in itself isn't bad, it's just that Stephen Amell delivers it in a forced way that makes it sound full of the cheese. But when he said it at the end of Damages right before the closing credits, it was PERFECT!

Marburg66

[10]Nov 16, 2012
    • level: 6

I've thought about it for a little while & I ended up imagining what Kevin Smith would do if he were writing for the show & was trying to replace the line.

Instead of Saying "You have failed this city" I will instead, attempt my best impression of Kevin Smith impersonating Arrow, and say...

..."Dude, you suck!"

antdude

[11]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 27
    "You have failed this city!"

Yaspaa

[12]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 79
    I've seen plenty of cheese and this ain't it. Plays out pretty much like a comic does, and considering it's based on one...

abdulay31

[13]Jan 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    The first episode i heard i was laughing so hard but i got used to it. Am a sucker for voice over monologues and compared to Dexter it is a bit cheesy but it helps explain whats going through Arrows mind and justifies why he does things. Stephen Amell is doing a great job as i had lower expectations for the show and must of the characters

Dec1964

[14]Jan 16, 2013
    • level: 33

Stay with "You Have Failed This City"

Dec1964

[15]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 33

Moiria Queen You Have Failed This City.

Nice touch for saying it to his mother.