Arrow

Honor Thy Father

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Oct 17, 2012 on The CW

• Good follow-up

The second episode of this series had much going on. Every character had its own storyline, plus the recap of what happened in the pilot (in case someone missed it) made the episode feel crammed. Still, it was a really good episode; just not as good as the Pilot.

The episode didn't start with the regular "Previously on" Instead, the story presented in the Pilot was summarized within this episode; through dialogues and Oliver's narrative.

We got to see more of what happened to the island. And we got a glimpse of, apparently, how Oliver Queen became the Green Arrow. I mean, no matter how good he could've been before the island I bet he couldn't have learn Russian, hand-to-hand combat, archery and how to make arrows all by himself. When I saw the Pilot I remember thinking that is was weird that Oliver would've had well-built arrows and a wooden box to keep them in.

Honor Thy Father had as many storylines as possible, even more: Arrow trying to make justice, Oliver deciding whether or not to work at Queen Industries, Laurel and Tommy's secret affair, Thea's drug problem and traumas, what happened on the island, and many more. I understand they wanted to cover as many ground as possible in the firsts episodes, but it actually kept back the developing of the main story.

My favorite quote of the whole episode was spoken by Oliver to his father's tomb:

"You asked me to save the city. To right your wrongs. I will. I swear. But to do that, I can't be the Oliver that everyone wants me to be, which means that sometimes to honor your wishes... I need to dishonor your memory. I'm sorry."

It was really powerful and even gave me goosebumps. It reminded me too much of Batman, especially "The Dark Knight":

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now."

I know Green Arrow is an archery-based Batman so

One thing I didn't liked about this episode was how everybody expected Oliver to carry on with his life as if the past five years wouldn't have happened. His mother wanted him to be in charge of Queen Industries. His best friend, Tommy, wanted Oliver to party and sleep around like they used to. And Thea wanted him to open up and tell her everything that happened in the island, like he had just experienced a bad dream. They can't understand that he went to a trauma, probably experiencing PTSD right now. I know some people don't believe in psychotherapy, but I really hope they make him go. Although I don't believe he would be Arrow if he weren't as damaged.

Oh oh, I almost forgot. It would be amazing if the writers would put Lionel Luthor as the co-author of sabotaging the yacht! I don't know if that's how it happened in the original story but that's how it happened in Smallville (as I was kindly reminded by my brother). Oliver's mom Moira and Lionel had an affair and killed Robert Queen. Of course the whole foundation and purpose of choosing a different actor to play Oliver was that Arrow wouldn't look like a Smallville spin-off. So, I guess my wishes won't come true, as the writers would probably keep Arrow as an independent story, away from other heroes from DC.