Arrow

Legacies

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2012 on The CW

• A few cards short of a full deck...

Far removed from their comic-book counterparts, Arrow's ''gritty'' take on The Royal Flush gang lends the hour a certain pathos and drive that not only animates Oliver in ways I hadn't seen previously (he felt much more human here), but also manages to push the arc forward quite a bit. Elsewhere, it's refreshing to note that Digs sees himself as the Nightwing to Arrow's Batman rather than the Alfred to his Wayne. And I even noticed a genuine glimmer between Dinah and Tommy this week, which certainly trumps their lack of chemistry during the last handful of episodes. There are still a lot of standstill plots, of course: Mamma Queen's insecurities (''I'm so rich and throw all of these lavish parties! Why doesn't my son appreciate my lavish parties? He'd have probably been better off staying on that island!'') and Thea is still as inconsistent as ever (although Willa Holland does wonders with what little she is given) and the overall denouement doesn't quite hit home, either. Overall, though, this was a solid episode, one that manages to improve upon a few of the niggles that plagued the show up until now. Let's hope Arrow can keep on the right track!