Muse of Fire

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 28, 2012 on The CW

• Not quite what I was expecting...

With each passing week, I've done my best to keep my inner-fanboy at bay, viewing each episode with new eyes and judging the series on its own merits, until now. I don't want to come across as a DC nut (because I'm not), but when it comes to Helena Kyle, there are a few prerequisites that I don't think the series quite managed to capture. I tend to enjoy most iterations of Huntress - she's badass! - from her Justice League debut to that Birds of Prey series that I'm only half-ashamed to admit enjoying.

Here, while there are undercurrents of a darker persona fans of the character are accustomed to (that slots in nicely with Arrow's oh-too-serious tone); her debut on this series left me rather whelmed . Not over, not under, just whlemed . Given the same kind of tortured millionaire treatment of our titular hero, Oliver Queen, Helena lacks her usual arsenal of sassy one-liners and fatal kicks that make her a character worth watching!

Even with Kelly Hu and BSG's Tamoh what's-his-face guest starring, the hour never manages to rise above its own mediocrity. It's superheroics by-the-numbers. And with more wishy-washy, puppy eyed scenes on hand, this is The CW in spades.