Arrow

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Oct 10, 2012 on The CW

• Intense start.

This was a really good pilot in which a lot happened and a very nice foundation was established for the show. The story is interesting and I'm curious to see where it goes.

The last scene was absolutely glamorous - jaw-dropping surely... I wonder what's up!

Looking forward to catching up on the whole series!
  • Bad pacing and weird drama, known CW sins but with interesting premise and a great cliffhanger, Arrow's pilot episode kicks in full of confidence...

5.5
    A lot of things have reached my ears for the CW's superhero drama that invaded our small screens a few years ago and all of them have been positive with a warning that the show needs some time to pick up. Many shows managed to start with something not exceptional and quickly transformed into something enjoyable. I really hope the same for the Arrow.

*REVIEW/RECAP FOLLOWING, SPOILERS!*

That being said, the drama elements are not original or at least descent with only one exception. Spoiled young billionaire goes for a journey with his father and his ex(?)girlfriend's sister, the weather shows them no mercy, they sink their boat, only the young one survives through a dramatic decision and is found after 5 years... So no GPS in the lifeboat, no phones, no one scanned the entire ocean for the ridiculously rich father and son? Perhaps a conspiracy to kill them with weather as their key murderer? I don't know, I will have to wait.

Then, the protagonist obviously found some badass martial art master and on the island taught him how to break necks and do some superb martial art stunts. The islander also had access on some amazing creatine-fueled mass of meat which he fed with the young man every 2,5 hours and during their martial art sessions he was melting him with some notorious bodyweight and calisthenic exercises on rocks and trees. Some great cremes for this flawless baby face too. Or, to put it simply, CW unrealism of how an island survivor would look like.

Then, our handsome fella will have to meet with his mother, sister and best friend only to receive the most frozen reactions I've ever seen. If my son, my brother or my best friend was thought as dead for 5 years and he was suddenly back, I would be much more dramatic and heartwarming. Is the writing, the acting or simply rich dudes are so heartless is something I will never know. They asked almost nothing, they didn't express any emotions, they just resumed their lives and the first thing his best buddy wanted was to have his friend get laid... :/

As a great twist/cliffhanger, mother Theressa had some guys to kidnap his own son and torture him to reveal the possible whereabouts of his father (who we know is dead). That boosts the conspiracy theory.

Then is using his fortune to create his lair in one of the abandoned buildings that used to be his father plant and uses his Bad Guys notebook and asks politely-ish from a bad corporate guy to deliver 40m$ as a charity. He doesn't, pays him a visit, fails and then hacks his account and steals all of his money by his own. Either the spoiled billionaire playboy was also a hacker (doubtful) or wow, the martial art master was also a hacker master and once again showed to his young protege everything. Please, tell me the name of the island, if I will become the hacker master and fatal martial art master and bodybuilder in just 5 years and free of charge, I really find this quite an offer!

As you can see from the recap, the episode was extremely fast-paced with mediocre editing and didn't try to deepen any emotion or make us feel comfortable with the characters. I detect romance coming as a CW show as soon as possible. Acting was acceptable with the best coming from Roger R. Cross. Cinematography's the usual with a bad CGI island and sky which somehow managed to create a beautiful scenery.

Yet, despite its flaws, Arrow is confident and knows how to deliver cliffhangers with an interesting modern Robin Hood that used to be a rich brat and lots of conspiracy theories where everyone is a suspect (even your own mother) and powerful families running a corrupted city much like Batman's Gotham. I will give Arrow the benefit of the doubt because of its confidence and proceed it for the 4-episode test.
  • interesting

good start to the show, i am litery at the end of my seat with this show,

and his mother omg could not belive that,
  • Great show!

I love the serialization. It reminds me sometimes of the 'Once Upon a Time' format. The events of the present connects with the events shown in the flashbacks from Oliver's isolation in the island.

Action packed, incredible stunts. I'm hooked.
  • What a joke.

1.5
    Really.
  • Pilot

I watched the show with very high expectations and it surprised me as i loved it. The show is amazing. This episode is amazing and this show is the best new show this season. I was surprised that the best show for me was a CW show and i hope this show continues with this quality of action and storytelling and improve more to be an even more awesome show. can't wait for more.
  • Not what I was expecting.... in a good way!

I learned about Green Arrow through Smallville. Since the first moment I loved the character; he was the only one that would tell Clark what a wimp he was for not killing a killer. Of course, I understand Superman has a rule to not kill, and I respect that. But I think Green Arrow is a better hero for not having said rule. Therefore, he immediately became my favorite superhero from Smallville. Also, Justin Hartley's performance was enticing.

So, as a Smallville fan, I was expecting a lot from this series. Well, I still am. After watching the trailer I noticed two big changes: Justin Hartley was not playing Green Arrow, and the hero's personality has radically changed.

I approached the Pilot with distrust. I have to tell you, my fears have been put to rest. The Pilot is everything I was expecting and more.

Here are some points on why I think Arrow's Pilot was excellent:

It presents the background story for Oliver. How he was in a yacht that sank and was the only survivor. After many days at sea he found an island and stayed there for five years until rescued. But it is not presented from beginning to end, rather in a series of flashbacks through the whole hour. Which prove to be an ace up the writers' sleeves. Some unexpected things happened at sea that you don't get to see until the end of the episode and it serves as a plot twist and a hook for next week's episode.

It explains why he decided to become at vigilante and is targeting the wealthy of Starling City.

The characters are well presented and constructed. Oliver was a drunken playboy, but after five years on an island he returned as a killing machine. Oliver's sister, Thea, after suffering his brother and father's death as a kid, turned out a party girl and now recurs to drugs. Oliver's best friend, Tommy, is the same after five years because he hasn't gone through much. And so on.

It plays like an action movie. I can definitely see The CW's effort to attract men. They played their cards well. The pilot has everything an action movie needs: deaths, explosions, hand-to-hand combat, parties, a mob dealer, everything! I was so excited while watching this episode. You could pick any given minute of it, and something interesting would be happening. Nevertheless, there is a bit of drama in between of action shots. They were perfectly balanced. I just hope the writers don't tip the balance to either side; I don't want just action or just drama for this show.

It ends with a gazillion plot twists! Actually it's three or four, but by the end of the episode I felt like I was going to have a heart attack from all the times my heart jumped and sank. They wrote them brilliantly at the end, to serve as hooks for the next episode. Thus, at the end of the episode I found myself wanting to tear my hairs off my head and screaming: "why?" This of course in a good way, I just really wanted to keep watching Arrow.
  • Finally started watching.

I am very surprised to say that this is actually one of my favorite new shows. I finally broke down and watched the Pilot, and was kind of hooked. I watched all 4 episodes in one night and was left wanting more. I was kind of expecting another crappy Smallville Green Arrow, but its darker and a lot of fun. Most pleasant surprise of this new season. Much better than Revolution, Beauty and the beast, and 666 Park Avenue put together.
  • AMAZING

I AM TOTALLY HOOKED
  • The Pilot for Arrow

The Pilot episode of Arrow was pretty great! I really enjoyed watching from the gritty cold open of Oliver running through some rough terrain to the end where friends and family show they have their own agendas. I liked the format, the music, the cinematography, editing and the actors. This could definitely be the new Smallville etc... and I am definitely intrigued to find out how every thing will unfold. There was so much information and a lot of depth in this episode that I will watch it again to pick up small clues I may have missed. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next! This looks like it will definitely be an amazing series!!!!!!!
  • People will watch anything

thin in every aspect especially acting. Smallville had better acting and thats not saying a lot. People should watch HBO and compare the calibre.
  • Arrow Begins

The CWs replacement for Smalville (a show I had a love/hate relationship with, although it did end with one of its stronger seasons), Arrow's pilot, to its credit, is immediately engaging and does its absolute best to shed any similarities between Smallville's version of Green Arrow and the one showcased here, inexplicably rebranded as Arrow. And Starling City? Really?

Interestingly enough, While Arrow may not bare any glaring similarities with the Boy Wonder - Smallville's pilot was filled with angst and optimism, whereas Arrow is grounded in chiseled jaws and furrowed brows - the series resembles the origins of another DC character, The Dark Knight. And, as any fan of DC should note, that's not exactly surprising, as The Green Arrow was an intentional riff on DCs part for a more light-hearted version of Batman, although Green Arrow's origin story aint without its moments of bleak.

Alas, I digress. And I geek.

So how was the pilot overall? Ya know, it wasn't that bad! Definitely better than I expected it to be. Objectively, it manages to cover enough ground and lay the floor plans for a lot of different avenues, in terms of character arcs. As a bit of a geek, however, there is absolutely plenty to lap up here. The opening sequence is made all the better by the fleeting shot of an arrow piercing Deathstroke's mask. Our survey says: awesome! Throw in Merlin, Dinah Lance, and the fact that he called his sis Speedy, who clearly already has trouble with substance abuse, and this looks to be a show with a plan and definite pay-off for comic geeks.

Stephen Amell's take on Green Arrow is decent, if somewhat underwhelming. His presence and physicality in the role is next to none, however I found his acting to be a little too wooden in places. I am willing to forgive him however based on his torso alone - the guy is ripped! I hope they allow Olliver more time to breathe and have fun with his role as a playboy because I think the sulking may wear itself a little thin in a few episodes' time. Elsewhere, the cast seem solid enough, especially where Dinah is concerned; the fact that they cast Katie Cassidy in the role has my spider senses tingling (mixed comic metaphor, get over it!) that we will see Black Canary sooner rather than later, given how badass Ruby was in S3 of Supernatural.

The action scenes are nifty and extremely well-choreographed, on par with sister CW show Nikita in terms of hand-to-hand combat. Presumably we'll be treated to more and more flashbacks as the season progresses, hopefully spilling the beans on how Oliver became so proficient in mixed martial arts and archery. (Maybe he took all of his aggression out on Wilson. WIIIILLLLSOOOON!)

All in all, this was a really good start to the show. Sure, some of the familial trappings and shady doings are remeniscent of Smallville and the Luthors, but every character, thankfully, seems to have a personality of their own and a mini-arc already set in place for the next few episodes. As a pilot, while not perfect and certainly not as memorable as some of the CWs other shows, races, backflips and somersaults through the basics without any hassle at all. Bring on next week!

Oh, and thank you for you ruining Lost.
  • Nice first episode

I don't know a thing about comics and I didn't read too much about this show either before watching it. That being said, I really liked this first episode and am curious to how this series will develop. Oh, and no, those shirtless shots have noooothing to do with my opinion. Really.
  • Pilot: A lot squeezed in this episode

I liked the pilot a lot. Looked forward to this show for a long time. My anticipation was somewhat met. Only downside was I thought the producers put way too much in this pilot.

They could have slowed it down a little. I'm pretty sure they only focused on get the numbers (viewers) which makes sense but I hope it didn't affect future storylines. That is, it seems we'll be looking forward to new bad guys every episode and what not.

I wish it was more like Smallville where they focused on Clark Kent's character development until he finally became the hero, Superman. In Arrow everything happened in this pilot episode.

Let's hope they'll be a lot to look forward too which I think might happen like Deathstroke, Deadshot type characters popping up. Looking forward to the rest of the season. Hoping for the best
  • best cwtv show to premiere

This show is amazing! Loved the premiere! Best show on the cwtv!
  • The CW... bringing new shows to rage-filled teens for over five years.

Speaking as someone who's willing to overlook a lot to enjoy a good story and/or comic adaptation, I thought this was one of the worst things I'd seen broadcast since... well, Birds of Prey. The story felt like it was pieced together by people who had vague, distasteful impressions of comics, and the acting made melodrama look staid. I have never seen so many people try to out-swagger each other while awkwardly trying to force chemistry. The male and female leads epitomized the CW school of casting - get 'em pretty and get 'em young, and hope nobody notices they don't seem to understand the dialogue. Then five minutes into his life as a superhero, our protagonist snaps a man's neck... ah yes, truly, he is a hero. Add to that all the effort to shy away from the comic... the setting of Starling City, the silly green spray-painted mask, calling it just "Arrow"... It felt to me like the ultimate in cynical filmmaking, not born of a desire to tell a story, just to cash in on something popular, i.e. the Nolan Batman series, before the well dries up. Even then, I can't believe it made to air looking the way it did.
  • The Arrow is let loose

So 'Arrow' premiered to a modest audience of four million viewers. Any number of variables could have give rise to that mediocre viewer-ship, but it must be stated that 'Arrow's' opening was slow paced for the most part. The action heated up about fifteen minutes into the pilot and kept a steady pace till the end, but when you sit down to watch a show about The Emerald Archer you expect to be sitting on the edge of your seat.

The 'Pilot' served it's purpose: introduced key players, set the plot in motion - Dinah's the love interest/forbidden fruit, Detective Lance is Ollie''s personal antagonist, Tommy is the best friend with hidden agendas, not to mention Mama Queen who has agendas of her own.

While the show does take some liberalities with Green Arrow lore, (Moira Queen surviving, Thea Queen existing, Dinah having a sister), that's to be expected, and the changes are forgivable. The worst discrepancy has got to be the name of the city - 'Starling'? The Emerald Archer of Starling City, did the writers not hear the chuckles.

All in all, 'Arrow' shows promise. Most pilots are slow in order to establish important facts, I don't feel much was established in this slow paced opening, but a lot of information was conveyed and the show looks like it will pick up speed in the subsequent episodes.
  • A nice replacement for Smallville.

Nice pilot, it has the potential to go far, ratings shouldn't be a problem considering the CW' general predisposition to ignore numbers and go where the fans are. Loved the parkour like style of the fight / chase scene, and the casting looks inspired, but yeah the voiceover was weak, and i sort of miss the flamboiant Oliver from Smallville.

Forgetting Hartley for a sec i see a great match for Supernatural, and a way in to the more (slightly) mature audiences away from the twwn demo that the CW in the past shot for.

Give it a full season pickup, it disserves it.
  • Good pilot leaving a lot of potential

Great pilot! As a huge smallville fan I actually thought this pilot was much better, and 11 years of practice later I would hope so. They went dark, throwing some Nolanish in there. I realize a lot of people will be posting wondering how he is able to fight, hack, design, shoot, and ect after coming back from the island. Now... the pilot didn't show it, but in one of Arrow's trailers there's a split second image of Death Strokes mask on a pike with a arrow through the left eye. While this probably means nothing to the average person, any DC fan who saw the trailer and the pilot must be thinking " Holy F*cking sh*t, some CRAZY sh*t must of happened on that island! Ollie obviously didn't get his very extensive medical injuries from the boat wreck so i'm thinking that Ollie has just spent the last 5 years going toe to toe with Death Stroke.... Which gives a lot of credit towards his current abilities. They've already made it evident that were going to see some Black Canary at some point and possibly Speedy... Though i'm not thrilled about their Speedy choice.
  • all we got

I do agree with a screen 90 percent of what everybody a bubba said there were some mistakes some things to need to be redone I like the fact that they have speedy as his sister because the name of the show is not green arrow after the fifth season when amell wants some more money you can work roy in as red arrow,. did the guy say something but I'm 19 able to but whats do you really think they're going to have the hero shot in the first episode and the first fight I would prefer to have the shade like jh had on Smallville I watched every episode of Smallville loved it love the way they did green arrow and would prefer to see him here but I like smell take as Nf the dark tone (still funny watching the guy from Hung As GA lol but it is only supernatural TV show we have on television right now so it'll do
  • So excting and action filled I Loved It!

I never read the Green Arrow Comics, however that didn't stop me from LOVING the heck out of this pilot! It's so Batman Begins-esque I loved the voice over I hope it is continues

The lead actor I thought brought the right amount of strength, charisma, and vulnerability to the role. I am super excited to watch this series and see how it expands it's mythology!
  • Promising

This show seems really good! The quality of production is really high, and there's a lot of really attractive characters. Very characteristic of the CW. I can definitely see myself getting into this.