Arrow

Wednesday 8:00 PM on The CW Premiered Oct 10, 2012 In Season

Gislef

Arrow Fan Reviews (229)

• Interesting, but needs to strive for more originality.

Relative to the number of TV shows produced, there haven't been many based on the life of a 'superhero', and even less have been worth watching. 'Arrow' is the latest installment of attempts at exploring this genre, and it comes out of the gates with a mix between success and failure.

To start, 'Arrow' doesn't have the most original storyline. It is essentially based on a billionaire playboy named Oliver Queen, who experiences a traumatic event and transforms into a vigilante hero. There are numerous parallels between this show and Chistopher Nolan's recent Dark Knight series. In fact, there are so many similar elements, that this show could be called 'Batman if he had a bow'. In addition, the acting is a exaggerated, and the writing is a little cheesy.

However, 'Arrow' does impress on many levels. The set/location design of the show is impressive, and the action scenes seem more believable than a traditional action show. When Oliver Queen is being attacked, it doesn't necessarily feel like he is being shot at by Stormtroopers. Another element I like is the fact that Queen has no qualm against killing his enemies - something that the superhero genre hasn't explore all that much. The premise of the plot could also prove to be interesting, providing they don't follow the rubric set by most superhero movies/shows that have been exhausted over the years.

Ultimately, 'Arrow' could prove to be an interesting series, as long as it attempts to stay original, and avoids the pitfalls of it's predecessors. It has the potential, but it's future has yet to be revealed.
  • Nothing Great

The acting in Arrow made Tom Welling look like an Oscar candidate and the script was pretty bad as well. I hope they get their acts together otherwise I don't see this lasting a season.

For those saying he was running through a hail of bullets and not getting hit, he did in fact get hit but it seems his clothes are made of Kevlar or something since you saw him holding a mashed bullet at one point after pulling it from his upper body. I too find it ridiculous that he expects not to be recognized while only wearing a hood, but then again if he never leaves survivors that won't be a problem. The one thing I did like is that this show is not tame, there is action and a body count, something I didn't expect.
  • Olcity

Love the show, but come on Olly, fall in love with Felicity already, its such a tease seeing that chemistry!!!
  • No Green Arrow on Halloween?

I noticed there were no kids dressed up as the Green Arrow for Halloween. Maybe it's because for some stupid reason the producers have decided not to actually call him "Green Arrow" in the show!?! Why did they go with just "Arrow" to begin with? Is this another Lame trademark issue? Here is a chance to have another major DC character and Justice League member get a little notoriety, but it looks like the DC hero with suffer the usual DC fate of the producers only committing themselves 99% so the other 1% can bite them in the @ss!
  • I like the killing aspect, keep it in the show.

I loved the fact that he was killing the villains in the first season. I hope he makes the distinction between the villains he can let live those that really do need to go. Great show. Tight writing, awesome action and physical fighting scenes. A must watch.
  • The Issue with Laurel Lance

I understand that both fans and not-fans of Laurel Lance seem to have an issue either with her character, the writing of the character, the actress herself (which, in my opinion, is ludicrous as Cassidy has proven herself time and time again), the writers treatment of her, or some just don't like her because she tends to get in the way of something called "Olicity".

Anyhow, I got tired of reading all these negative things about Ms. Lance, such as how her character is utterly boring and useless, a waste of screen-time, and how she should die off the show, or even those fans who are shouting for the writers to start showing that they actually care about Cassidy and her character. Want to know what I think?

Well, if not stop reading now and you won't have to concern yourself with my opinions.

I think Laurel, in her own right, is an interesting character. Not because her plot lines have been fascinating (because let's be honest, there are much more interesting things going on here), though they haven't exactly been shoot-yourself boring either, but because I see a lot of potential.

First off, I am a huge fan of the show in general. I love superheroes, and comic books, and I honestly can't understand why people can't seem to be satisfied with the fact that we finally have a legit comic book show coming to life every Wednesday night. I mean, yeah, it's not perfect but then what in this world is? Anyway, as the loyal fan I am, I feel obligated to follow the twitter feeds, read the reviews, and scour the net for every scrap and bone of a spoiler I can get my greedy little eyes on. (Yeah, I may have a And you want to know what I see? If you don't, you know what to do.

I see writers, producers, and a cast that truly care about their show. And my guess is that they care about Laurel as well because not only is she a part of their show as their leading lady, but she's an iconic superhero. I'm sure that they have high hopes for her just like the rest of us. The difference is that they are the ones with the power of bringing her to life, and you know what? They know it. And seeing that they've done a great job with everyone else so far (for the most part) I'm sure that they have a plan in motion,or at least can find a plan to set in motion, to transform Laurel Lance into the awesome ass-kicking hero she is destined to become in a grounded yet exciting way.

However, there are those out there shaking their heads, saying, "No, no; they've run her character into the ground, there's no Say that to Quentin and Thea you nay-sayers. I'm sure these writers have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

Now, I'm no writer of the miraculous, ground-breaking, original artist kind, but even I can tell that Laurel has great potential to be written into an awesome Black Canary worthy of the comics. Better even than her own sister, Sara, could ever hope to be. Yeah. I went there.

Seeing that right now Laurel's job is assistant district attorney, she seems to be a bit far-off from becoming a masked vigilante. Though, the way her job's been going for the past few weeks, she probably wouldn't mind abandoning her morals and beliefs to go beat the snot out of some bad guys for awhile, you know to blow off steam. It works for Oliver right? But really look at what has happened in the last episode "State v. Queen", in regards to Laurel. She risked getting fired to warn Moira not to testify, evidence that she's not so far from the other side of the law that Oliver likes to play on as you might think. Then, she lost what should have been a no-brainer trial because Malcolm pulled some strings. Imagine if and when the truth gets out and Laurel is faced with the fact that, not only is the real reason Tommy died still alive, but that he was responsible for the jury's verdict proving that the law she has stood with and fought for, for so long, is fallible. This is a woman who is passionate about justice and eventually she's going to come to the realization that in her world the law isn't enough to get it. And when she realizes this, the only question left will be when does she put on the fishnets?

Also, people are worried that Sara is Laurel's replacement and others even hope she is, claiming that she's pretty much an already full-fledged superhero. Well, if so then that sucks because that would mean that Oliver last season was a full-fledged superhero when in fact he seemed closer to being borderline psychotic. But I don't think this is the case because, well, the writers said so. And until the writers turn on their own words I have faith that they have something up their sleeves. In all honesty, I believe that Sara is in fact going to be used to somehow push Laurel into becoming Black Canary.

I also think it was brilliant to drag Laurel to such a dark place and that they have plans to drag her even further because only then can she be like nearly every other superhero out there and have to rebuild herself into does Ollie put .

They say you can't fully experience joy until you experience suffering. Same goes for justice apparently. And I like it.

Lastly, I wanted to share my thoughts about the romance angle because that seems to be a big thing. I'm not trying to sink any ships or anything; in the fandom world that's utterly impossible; but despite my tomboy attitude and dislike for mushiness I do like a little healthy romance. Everybody wants some love right?

People think that either Sara or Felicity are a better match for Oliver than Laurel is because they know and understand him. However, who said that Laurel was never going to know his secret? I mean yeah, Oliver said that to Tommy in "Home Invasion" but coming from a guy who snapped a dude's neck, because he didn't want anyone to know his secret, then subsequently told half the cast before the end of the season I don't set much store by that. So when Laurel is finally in the know she will not only have known Oliver from the time they were kids but she will see the man he has become placing her on both sides of the spectrum, a position that Felicity can never accomplish. Unless she engages in time-travel, and at this point I'm thinking that nothing is impossible for the amazing Felicity.

Sara, however, is a different story. She probably knew Oliver as a kid as well, though I doubt to the extent that Laurel did, but she does have an understanding of Oliver that Felicity and Laurel probably never will. She's a killer, who's been through hell and she beats up bad guys. In essence, she's female Oliver. So yeah she gets him in ways no one else ever could (other than Slade and Shado). But where's the dynamic in that? Oliver doesn't need someone he's constantly going to look at and feel an overwhelming sense of guilt. They work as friends and even partners for now but I think it's best for everyone if they keep their relationship platonic. So that leaves Laurel, who at the moment, is in no position to be in a healthy relationship with anyone. Heck! Neither is Oliver. But eventually Laurel will rise out of the ashes, hopefully as Black Canary, and when she does she will have a much better understanding of Oliver and will be able to reconnect to him in an entirely different way leading both to become greater heroes and maybe even lovers (if that's what you're into).

So in short the only real issue with Laurel Lance is that her story isn't over and, in fact, has barely begun. So if you're in all a rage over her character, take a chill pill, relax and just enjoy the show.

• the surprise of the season

OK, I have given it 7 chapters and it has made it in my what to watch list. Its like batman, less theatrical and he actually kills people (a lot) which makes it even more interesting if one day he gets caught. I was very reluctant to the show (thanks to smallville green arrow) but it has prooved me wrong. I recomend it specially for super heroe fans.
  • Arrow is to stereotypical little boy comic book power fantasies as The Brothers Grimm is to Disney

Remember when you saw Disney's Snow White as a kid?

...& remember how floored you were later in life when you discovered how different the original source material was in comparison?

Arrow is kinda like that.

The most important thing for a viewer to understand is, this is not a 'Smallville spinoff'...it's instead a reboot of the character that follows the basic structure of a more adult & violent Green Arrow that was established & popularized in the comics over 20 years ago.

While full of flaws common to comic book adaptations, Five episodes in so far, this version of The Green Arrow shows that it has what it takes to grow into a compelling, long running series, provided that it doesn't cheapen it's own worth over time as Smallville did in its waning years by grossly overusing many childish aspects of the DC comic universe as a ratings crutch.

Ok. Everyone say it with me now, on 3...Ready?

3...So far, so good
  • Crisp, well paced action adventure

Pays tribute to the DC comics very well. Rich with content from the DC Universe. Season One is a little heavy on romance and family drama, but still delivers a solid punch of exciting action sequences and delightfully evil bad guys. Season 2 gets much better and Oliver's back-story on the island is a great sub-plot that keeps each episode moving along nicely.
  • Surprized

I get a little frustrated with the fact that a good exciting show to follow is hard to find these days. I really love "Person of Interest" wich is pretty much the only show i try to follow today. So when I decided to watch this i figured it would be another lame show, like so many passed by lately.

So honestly the story isn't original, the actors aren't the best but somehow I ended up eager to watch episode 2. Overall this show simply looks great.

Arrow might just become interesting to keep up with.
  • Green Arrow!

A little corny But i def. want to keep watching. I'll given them a chance. I DO want to know what happens next. I loved Justin Hartleys Oliver! I LOVE that (in smallville) him & Lex knew each other as kids, & he was picked on by oliver. Really showed what kind of guy he was B4. I also like that his parents were dead, & that Lexs dad had had them killed. Justin should have a guest spot in a later episode/season.

Let's face it, THATS why this shows op. He made everyone fall in love with Oliver Queen.
  • An arrow which almost reaches the target

A little more care on the part of producers, directors and writers and then we would have a beautiful series about a MINOR comics hero.

Green Arrow (known as ''Green Archer - Arqueiro Verde'' in my country) is far from being one of the most interesting characters to me, but this production deserves congratulations for the effort. I suppose it is easier to convert to a tv series a character without super powers and with fewer personal impediments to injure opponents. Let's start the bleeding.

I liked Katie Cassidy's Laurel Lance (a pity that, apparently, she is not a heir to Black Canary's powers) and Willa Holland Speedy could become an interesting figure in the plot. Even Ramsey's Diggle also could become a first assistant for the hooded vigilant, before he dies dramatically. Stephen Amell, i think, is how Oliver Queen would be if he had not charisma.

I will keep watching.
  • WHY WHY WHY

Why dafuq he need to die why fuck this FUUU morons fuuu fucking bullshit....

And if that *** who buy queen consolidated if he be next Starling city hero who will protect from him i want Oliver back i dont give a fuck how u will do that. Use fuckin Dragon Balls i dont care how....
  • I WOULD LIKE......

Top favorite is Felicity, love everything about her, knows how to put on those shorts give us a good view of her awesome hope for very serious relationship with Oliver at the end something like Marriage btn the two will do, OLICITY make the show untouchable.

Malcom Merlyn is also the name of the he has a big role to play in the next season
  • Oliver Queen

Oliver queen is such a bad-ass.

But I sort of miss it when he used to say: "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CTY!"

Still my favourite TV show.
  • The best TV show ever...

I'm enjoying the show at the moment. Hope that this series will go on for a long time. Wish Arrow cast & producers all the best!!!
  • This show is so fun to watch

From the cast, to the costumes, to how this show can be completely serious and silly comic book-y, I just love this show. I was never a fan of comic books when I was a kid, so I don't exactly know the history, but this show is great!!!
  • Enjoyable and intreaging.

This show clearly has many people that can't stand it, every show has it's fans, just as every show has people that dislike it, I on the other hand, love this show.

I didn't start watching from the air date, or a couple of episodes in. In fact, I recently started watching and I've found it to be quite an interesting show. It has mystery, action, love interests, heartache and other characters from the DC world.

I think the acting has been pretty good, although I must admit that some of the actors and actresses can be quite annoying at times, but in all fairness, I have a track record of picking up on things that no one else does. I think the plot has been very interesting and every week, I can't wait for the next episode, just to see what's going to happen next. The writing in my opinion is really well done and the mystery behind what happened on the Island and the undertaking is also quite addictive.

I'm not going to go on and on for ages, all I'm going to say is:- Don't believe the negative reviews. take the time to watch a couple of episodes yourself and then decide on whether to continue or not. If you give the show a chance, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • Making me want more each episode

Just finished watching the 4th episode, Its got me gripped and has been a good story line in such a way around the whole island life that it wants me to carry on watching, and his mother keeping such secrets I just hope it does not loose it and makes me want more each time!
  • Im so In love with this show

I just started watching this last night for the first time and I could not go to sleep I am soooooo addicted and I am going to keep watching this show and definitely can't wait for the new episodes!!! keep up the good work!!!
  • Great Show

I'm someone who reads DC Comics but I've never read much Green Arrow The most I know about the character is from Smallville & the JLA cartoon. But I have very much enjoyed this show so far & I am very much looking forward to the next few episodes.
  • Fantastic new show

I started watching the show when it premiered and have seen it work through it's quirks throughout it's first season. The action is great, acting is slowing getting to where it should be and the story is compelling and intriguing.

It's the kind of show that if you enjoy action flicks, you'll enjoy every episode even if it's a mediocre episode. Given that it's in it's first season, I can only imagine that it will keep getting better with future episodes and I'd give it at least 4 seasons.
  • Pretty good so far

I'm enjoying this show so far. In the DC comics, there have been several iterations of the Green Arrow character that I recall. First the campy Green Arrow with his sidekick Speedy, the 'Arrow Car', boxing glove arrows ans so on, then the 'Green Lantern/Green Arrow superhero duo, then the somewhat bitter and angry Green Arrow who was more concerned with fighting for the little guy rather than saving the world and fighting super villains and finally the cerdion of Green Arrow we have now (in the comics) that I am less famiiiar with.

To my mind, this TV Green Arrow is very much in line with the angry/bitter Grreg Arrow of 15 years ago. I feel the series has held reasonably true to the canon of the Green Arrow comics. Ther are quite a few exceptions but I'm not going to let those bother me, I'm going to enjoy the show for what it is.

I think the storyline is developing well, a few stumbles along the way, but good character and backstory development. Combined with the mystery of just what went/is going on, I find it quite compelling.

Acting is generally pretty good although Kate Cassidy/DInah Lance comes across as rather bland. Certainly can't picture her as a superheroine!

I am somewhat intrigued by the 'Tommy Merlyn' character simply because one of Green Arrows enemies from the comics was an archer named 'Merlyn'. Coincidence? Or maybe something will happen causing iTommy 'to o over to the 'dark side'. Have to keep watching to find out!
  • I love and hate this show

I find the premise of this series to be quite intriguing and can be used to create great plot BUT i began to hate this show because too much whining : hear me out, whenever THE SISTER begins to speak, i pray for a lightning bolt to strike her pretty head and make her SHUT THE HELL UP.

I cant but notice that she has like 10 minutes of "disapproving" speech every single episode. I mean, come on guys, too much melodrama over nothing("you didn't say hi to me, i`m so sad. let me give u a 10 minutes lecture so next time you should know better") is too much melodrama.

Besides that, Oliver uses the "i`ve been on a stranded island for 5 years" excuse way too often. I've got it from the first episode that you were a victim but. again like in the sister's case, TOO MUCH MELODRAMA IS TOO MUCH.

I love the bodyguard. i love the tech girl, i love Mister Merlin and of course i love the Chinese and the Australian "islanders".

I just hope this doesnt turn out to be another smallvile ( see superman - lex luthor; green arrow - tommy merlyn) because then i`ll be forced to turn some tables and throw out my television.

Thanks for reading this TLDR post !
  • Getting better

It knows where/how to focus on its characters more
  • This Show is just Amazing

Can't believe that Marvel Fan-boys are so hurt that they come to Arrow's page and post bad reviews just cuz their so favorite AOS can't compete to the quality of Arrow. Arrow has a 1000 times better storyline, 1000 times better cast and I am sick of people comparing Arrow to Smallville. Clarke Kent never killed a single human being but on the other hand Oliver kills. Only reason Agents of Shield is still airing is because of Avengers' success. Please don't rate this show so bad just because Agents of Shield SUCKS!
  • Brilliant!!!!

This show is just awesome!!
  • Best new series

This is the best new series ever ...
  • Amazing

I'm totally captured by this show and in love with all the cast especially Stephen Amell aka Oliver Queen
  • loving it

After only 6 episodes I'm totally hooked on the show, I think this one is going to be around for a long time!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8