Arrow

The Odyssey

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 13, 2013 on The CW

• Do we really need the flashbacks?

I am so over the flashbacks. I absolutely hate them, and this episode had more than the usual amount.

Flashbacks were the reason I stopped watching the series ONCE UPON A TIME, as I found the storyline in the storybook world annoying and distracting, taking away my enjoyment of the main story.

Wow, much loved characters were in danger or about to die some gruesome death in storybook-land but wait, hang on, in the present world, they were still alive!

Any sense of danger and the thrill of edge-of-your-seat anticipation is gone from the viewing leaving, what? Boredom, perhaps? At the very least a feeling of, "come on, get on with it!"

Similarly with this episode of Arrow: In the present world we know that Oliver had been on the island for five years, so the storyline of he and Slade planning to get off the island, and it hasn't yet been one year of Oliver's stay on this 'beautiful paradise', holds no interest at all. We know from the onset that for some reason or another, it's just not going to work. That being the case, I say, let's spend more time on the truly important story of what is happening in the present.

(Gilligan and company were never going to get off their own island at any time during the whole run of that show, 'cos then the show would be over, so I got really really sick of the numerous episodes that started with someone saying something to the effect of, " I think I found a way to get off the island")

Unlike Gilligan whose show would end if they got off the island (discounting of course the few TV movies that took place after the official series' run), Oliver's show really starts after he got off the island.

In fact I question, why do we need to see how Oliver became what he is, when we can actually see what he is? We don't need to see flashbacks of Laurel or Detective Lance (or the rest of Oliver's family, for that matter) to understand them, to emphasis with them or to appreciate their motivations, their drive and passions, their respective determination.

For my money, the only series to use flashbacks properly, seamlessly so that they fit within the context of the 'present' in the running storyline is PERSON OF INTEREST, the worst ONCE UPON A TIME and LOST. Arrow fits somewhere in the middle, closer to OUAT, where the producers and writers are seemingly trying to tell two running stories at once, one set in the past and one in the present.

Here's an idea, If the producers and writers really want to unveil the story of Oliver's adventures on the island, how about tying together all the future flashbacks and presenting them as a telly-movie or mini- series, to be run complementary to the main series.

Let's go forward from here, rather than back. Lets' spend less time showing us how Oliver got here and more on where he goes from here.
  • Devoted Partners!

Wow this series just keeps getting better and better!

While Oliver was mostly comatose this episode, it was great getting to know Felicity and Diggle better, seeing them team up was a real treat it seems as if Felicity and sticking around for a while and I couldn't be more delighted!

Once again the flashbacks in this episode were wonderful, it was really cool to see more of Slade Wilson's characterization I hope we see more of him next week.

I also loved the deepening of Yao Fei 's character.

I for one am defiantly going to tune in next week to see if Walter is recused to see how Oliver ended up escaping the island and how exactly does Oliver's mother fit into all of this?
  • The Odyssey

The Odyssey was an excellent episode of Arrow. I really enjoyed watching because something shocking happens right away and the rest of the story goes between present day and Oliver's past. It was awesome watching what happened while he was on the island. I liked how Felicity just showed up and ask John for his help. Detective Lance seem to have a certain suspicion which was interesting. There was a lot of action some good drama and plenty of intrigue. The character development was engaging and well written. I liked how everything played out and I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Good Removal Product

And where are his scars? (When he showed to laurel, it was a
  • Resuscitation

i'm kinda getting annoyed by programs showcasing resuscitating completely wrong, a shock with the defibrillator is completely useless with an asystole (the straight line), and the ekg isnt even set up to show what it does, with 4 electrodes it would only show the pulse rate not it's execution. Oxygens missing as well and not even once was CPR applied.

Its also hilarious how when in crime scenes some victim/culprit/witness gets shot hes dead in a second no CPR not even an ambulance.

Rest of the episode was awesome as usual
  • loliboba

It is awsome
  • Arrow.

This really was a brilliant episode, absolutely enjoyed it. nuff said.