Arthur Forums

Weekdays 12:00 AM on PBSIn Season

April 9th

celentanoad

[1]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 2

This is by far my favorite episode. It was on yesterday (april 9th) and it just made me think about a recent event that happened at my school. It wasn't a fire, it was a lot worse, but it was the same sort of thing. I like the message it shows that something good can come out of a tragedy or a traumatic experience.

On December 12th (12/12/06), was the death of Shane Halligan. He brought an AK47 into school and in between morning classes pulled it out of the large duffel bag that contained it. He shot at the wall three times (with no intention to hurt anyone, just to get everyone away from him) and the school went into lockdown, as well as surrounding schools. Once everyone was either outside or locked in classrooms, he proceeded to walk to the front of the library, where he eventually placed the gun underneath his chin and killed himself.

In this Arthur episode, each character goes through a different reaction to what happened, all which can relate to the experience I described above. Buster missed the entire thing, and therefore didn't feel as upset as everyone else about the fire. My sister was like this too; she was absent the day Shane killed himself and didn't experience the same fear and pain everyone else did. Binky's experience was similar to mine. He had a fear of going back to school after seeing flames. I happened to be an unfortunate student who saw Shane in the hallway (after he fired the three shots) it was just me and him, and it was a very memorable scene. I clearly can picture the anger in his eyes, the determination, the fear. For weeks I had flashbacks of the exact scene every time I walked down that hallway. I would enter my next class in a daze. Arthur's reaction was similar to pretty much everyone in my entire school: no one felt safe anymore. Although pretty much everyone came back to school once it opened again, we were still terrified of a copycat suicide of some sort.

The good that came out of it all was that our school learned to cope together. We realized how close we really were, and the whole experience just brought everyone together... different groups of friends, teachers, and so on. Also, many students' respect for a security guard, Tony, grew. Tony attempted to convince Shane to put down the gun by speaking to him through a classroom door. There was a candlelight vigil the night of Shane's death which many of us attended. Just standing there with almost my entire school, all feeling the same sadness and pain, all crying together, made me realize how close we were, even though I didn't know many of them well, there was still this sense that we were all caring for each other, that we all could feel for each other.

So can anyone else relate to this episode in some way? This is a thread where we can all share our experiences similar to Arthur's on April 9th.

Edited on 04/10/2007 4:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 52

It was a great episode.

Nothing like that happened at my school though.  It was just floods, no fires.

RaeGhost

[3]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    Our school had a fire last year in the class next to mine. I can relate to Binky because i was terrified to go back to school because the fire started to spread and come into our classroom. I can also relate to Sue Ellen because i lost a picture that was very dear to me and my journal that i wrote in every single day.

faCt24

[4]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 31
    I remember in second grade there was a fire in the school elevator and noone was hurt but I didn't get scared I got excited because I thought we were going to be on the news. I can understand though that sometimes kids can be scared to go back to school or be traumatized.

baczekj

[5]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 5
    Nothing like this has happened to me before so I can't relate, but this is one of my favorite episodes.  

jboy300

[6]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 6
    This was really Sue Ellen's time to shine. almost evrybody got their subplot but Sue Ellen gave the moral and it helped here grow. To bad she hasn't gotten a lot of stories.

SpaceWay2007

[7]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 11
    Nothing really happened in my school similar to the Arthur's episode called "April 9th". So, I can't really relate this episode to my personal experiences. Although, I still like this episode. It's like the first time everyone got along and feeling the same thing.

telvisnostic

[8]Apr 21, 2007
    • level: 52

I liked the episode myself.

I did like the fact like you said everyone got along.

CURLYHURLEY

[12]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 25
    ^your full of crap^ and your writing is too big

MarchingTwinkie

[14]Sep 5, 2007
    • level: 5
    Seriously. Text? Way too big. Story? Not buying it.I think I'd remember it if it happened. Could you at least give us some location/date information if it's true? Link us to something about it? Unless there are facts no one will ever know if you're telling the truth. And if you are, this request shouldn't be hard to fill.

CURLYHURLEY

[16]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 25
    Umm in your link nobody died so yeah your full of it.

aguaminte77

[17]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 8
    ChibiTV wrote:

I am only 13. I am not allowed to give you that information. But it is a true story! I will only tell you I live in England. Here is a link to a news report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/5344692.stm

umm yeah, i checked the link too.. and a few MAJOR THINGS. #1 it says nothing about a child starting the fire, in fact they did not know how it started they thought by a light fixture. #2 this happen as you alleged "2 years ago when i was 11" so i would assume that they would know the cause of the fire by now and would have updated it. also if it was two years ago why does it specifically say sept. 14 2006 -last updated- at the top of the page? if it was a year before this was updated surely the BBC would have an update for us. its really sad that you made this up. i mean the story above that started this post was -i suspect- true and its really disturbing that you wrote this.. for what fake sympathy from people you do not even know?

MaruGirl8

[18]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 1
    CASSI YOU LIAR! Cassi is my x-bff. She started lying about everything. But she gave me all her usernames to TV.COM, WEBKINZ, AND YOUTUBE. OK ppl, let me clear things up for you. We live in New Hampshire, not England and there was a tiny fire in our school when a lunch lady burned the lunch and no one was hurt and the flames weren't even big. No kids started it at all! Cassi, (ChibiTV) is lying so don't listen to a word she says. We are both 13, so at least she said one thing true

MaruGirl8

[19]Sep 11, 2007

MaruGirl8 wrote:
    CASSI YOU LIAR! Cassi is my x-bff. She started lying about everything. But she gave me all her usernames to TV.COM, WEBKINZ, AND YOUTUBE. OK ppl, let me clear things up for you. We live in New Hampshire, not England and there was a tiny fire in our school when a lunch lady burned the lunch and no one was hurt and the flames weren't even big. No kids started it at all! Cassi, (ChibiTV) is lying so don't listen to a word she says. We are both 13, so at least she said one thing true

actually, there were hardly any flames. It was a little tiny fire. There was like, no damage

MaruGirl8

[20]Sep 11, 2007

MaruGirl8 wrote:

actually, there were hardly any flames. It was a little tiny fire. There was like, no damage