Arthur Forums

Weekdays 12:00 AM on PBSIn Season

Least Favorite Arthur Episode(s)?

gengar09876

[1]Nov 21, 2011
    • level: 2

Least favorite: Flea to Be You and Me.

Honorable Mention(s): World Girls, DW Bossy Boots (I usually like DW, but she had a bad writer),

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

That_TV_Dude

[2]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 24

There are many episodes I don't like really.

I hate all of the Kate and Pal episodes. They are blatant Rugrats rip offs and are very annoying, especially Flea to be You and Me.

Many of the D.W. episodes from seasons 1 to 8. There are a few good D.W. episodes in those seasons like D.W. All Wet and D.W.'s Baby, but a lot of them are awful. Most of them though are just awful like D.W.'s Very Bad Mood or The Last of Mary Moo Cow since it really shows her bad side. A lot of them though show her getting what she wants when she doesn't deserve it like being invited to a party for acting rotten. I also was sick of seeing episodes about D.W.'s stupid snowball, and was glad to see that pointless thing come to an end at last. Don't even get me started on the episode where she loses her voice.

The Big Blow Up is another episode that's dreadful. The set up for The Brain and Francine not being friends was weak and the ending of how Francine was mad at Arthur and Buster and insulting them was unneeded despite Arthur and Buster helping Francine and The Brain being friends again.

Finally, Arthur's Big Hit. I understand the moral of not hurting your siblings or not using violence, but the way it was executed was just dreadful. Despite Arthur's justification that he lost his temper and told D.W. to not touch his plane, D.W. still breaks it and Arthur punches her. The entire family goes overboard with Arthur and punish him way too strictly despite his argument and they don't even punish D.W. at all for what she did. Arthur's friends also saying that he was "wrong" was awful as well. Where do they get off for telling him off? Most of Arthur's friends have no siblings, so they don't know what it's like and had no right to simply badger him again and again. Then the ending with Arthur getting punched by Binky and Arthur's parents scolding and lecturing him about how it felt was also terrible and shows they don't care a lot for Arthur. D.W. also pulling out the "little kid" card with the plane was also awful and not fair at all. Instead of a lesson about not using violence, what kids will learn is that if you do something like hit your sibling despite it being completely justified, your family will hate you and punish you cruelly for it, your friends will turn against you and get after you for it, and that the little sibling who despite doing something wrong, gets off scott free. I just want to know what they were thinking for this episode.

Honestly if I had to choose though, I'd go with Arthur's Big Hit because of the poor morals and how awful the characters were acting.

gengar09876

[3]Nov 27, 2011

That_TV_Dude wrote:

I hate all of the Kate and Pal episodes. They are blatant Rugrats rip offs and are very annoying, especially Flea to be You and Me.

Many of the D.W. episodes from seasons 1 to 8. There are a few good D.W. episodes in those seasons like D.W. All Wet and D.W.'s Baby, but a lot of them are awful. Most of them though are just awful like D.W.'s Very Bad Mood or The Last of Mary Moo Cow since it really shows her bad side. A lot of them though show her getting what she wants when she doesn't deserve it like being invited to a party for acting rotten. I also was sick of seeing episodes about D.W.'s stupid snowball, and was glad to see that pointless thing come to an end at last. Don't even get me started on the episode where she loses her voice.

The Big Blow Up is another episode that's dreadful. The set up for The Brain and Francine not being friends was weak and the ending of how Francine was mad at Arthur and Buster and insulting them was unneeded despite Arthur and Buster helping Francine and The Brain being friends again.

Finally, Arthur's Big Hit. I understand the moral of not hurting your siblings or not using violence, but the way it was executed was just dreadful. Despite Arthur's justification that he lost his temper and told D.W. to not touch his plane, D.W. still breaks it and Arthur punches her. The entire family goes overboard with Arthur and punish him way too strictly despite his argument and they don't even punish D.W. at all for what she did. Arthur's friends also saying that he was "wrong" was awful as well. Where do they get off for telling him off? Most of Arthur's friends have no siblings, so they don't know what it's like and had no right to simply badger him again and again. Then the ending with Arthur getting punched by Binky and Arthur's parents scolding and lecturing him about how it felt was also terrible and shows they don't care a lot for Arthur. D.W. also pulling out the "little kid" card with the plane was also awful and not fair at all. Instead of a lesson about not using violence, what kids will learn is that if you do something like hit your sibling despite it being completely justified, your family will hate you and punish you cruelly for it, your friends will turn against you and get after you for it, and that the little sibling who despite doing something wrong, gets off scott free. I just want to know what they were thinking for this episode.

Honestly if I had to choose though, I'd go with Arthur's Big Hit because of the poor morals and how awful the characters were acting.

Agreed on Pal and Kate.

Also agreed on DW episodes. The earlier ones aren't bad in terms of writing or quality, but they do show DW at her worst. The snowball thing was just stupid, and should never have been brought up.

Big Blow Up: Good concept, bad execution.

Arthur's Big Hit: A classic, but still had a bad moral. I could see if Arthur was holding a grudge over the plane, or if DW broke it by accident, but Arthur had every right to hit her. Francine had NO right to talk, how would she like it if Catherine broke her soccer ball?

gengar09876

[4]Nov 27, 2011
    gengar09876 wrote:

That_TV_Dude wrote:

Agreed on Pal and Kate.

Also agreed on DW episodes. The earlier ones aren't bad in terms of writing or quality, but they do show DW at her worst. The snowball thing was just stupid, and should never have been brought up.

Big Blow Up: Good concept, bad execution.

Arthur's Big Hit: A classic, but still had a bad moral. I could see if Arthur was holding a grudge over the plane, or if DW broke it by accident, but Arthur had every right to hit her. Francine had NO right to talk, how would she like it if Catherine broke her soccer ball?

Not as bad as the others, but in Arthur's Family Vacation, she was screaming like a banshee in traffic, and what happens? NOTHING. She also kept bothering that guy with the heart tattoo, and her parents just sat there and stared into space. They need to (wo)man up.

Raccoon1459

[5]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 22

D.W's Time Trouble

The time travel parts were cool, but the fact that Arthur was so irresponsible that he didn't take his little sister to see the movie she wanted to see kind of makes me think differently of him.

That_TV_Dude

[6]Dec 5, 2011

I have several more to add.

The Ballad of Buster Baxter was very annoying. It could've been great, but I was sick of listening to that stupid moose sing all the time, and not only that, but Muffy was being a real pain and wasn't thinking at all. If they removed the singing, it wouldn't be as bad.

Speaking of Muffy, I really hated The Election, and how stupid she was being. It was just a class election and Muffy was being a real class act jerk in this episode. She didn't allow others to run for office even though she would get nothing out of it, and relied on nothing but mudslinging and bribery. Muffy should've been disqualified for her actions, and I am glad she lost the election. I hope that intro scene with her as president doesn't come true because if I lived in Arthur's world, and Muffy was president, I'd move out of America until she was either impeached or her term was up.

I've also got to say, or Whom the Bell Tolls was awful. Francine was just a hypocrite and called Arthur mean and rubbed it in his face constantly. SHE'S NO BETTER! She's the meanest character on this show and yells and berates everyone, and I wanted to punch her teeth out. Also having DW not get punished for playing fake was bad and the parents didn't even try to do check ups on her voice at the doctor.

I Owe You One was also dreadfully done. I understand the idea that you need to repay some debts and not take advantage of your friends, but this was awful. For one thing the kids were so cruel to Buster with the favors like cleaning rooms or other chores they had to do, and bringing in interests!? WHO CARES!? These kids were real jerks and should've apologized for their actions against Buster, especially Francine, Brain, and Muffy for starting this whole thing.

Then there is Cast Away with how DW really was at her worst yet. All she did was whine and complain, but yet she got what she wanted from going on Arthur and Dad's trip, to being able to bring in all the fish. Arthur stated it best, "She always gets what she wants." I couldn't have agreed more to this, and the parents needed to hit DW for how she acted. Seriously this was awful and the moral was dreadful as well.

Raccoon1459

[7]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 22

Play It Again, D.W.

D.W plays her Crazy Bus CD all the time in this episode and it's annoying! Not only to Arthur, but to some of us viewers as well. You know what's worse? Her parents do little to nothing to stop her.

gengar09876

[8]Dec 7, 2011

[I've also got to say, or Whom the Bell Tolls was awful. Francine was just a hypocrite and called Arthur mean and rubbed it in his face constantly. SHE'S NO BETTER! She's the meanest character on this show and yells and berates everyone, and I wanted to punch her teeth out. Also having DW not get punished for playing fake was bad and the parents didn't even try to do check ups on her voice at the doctor.]

How would they not even KNOW she was pretending in the first place...

I didn't see "I Owe You One".

[Then there is Cast Away with how DW really was at her worst yet. All she did was whine and complain, but yet she got what she wanted from going on Arthur and Dad's trip, to being able to bring in all the fish. Arthur stated it best, "She always gets what she wants." I couldn't have agreed more to this, and the parents needed to hit DW for how she acted. Seriously this was awful and the moral was dreadful as well.]

Not as bad as the one where Kate was crying at the fair throughout the entire episode, and his parents made him let DW hold Pal's leash, and then she lost her grip. Guess what her parents did...nothing.

Another awful episode was the one where Muffy found out about Binky's real name. I like to pretend that episode never happened. Also, why wasn't Binky using his night-light?

DW's Very Bad Mood was awful too. Once again, her parents didn't even try and do anything, or even investigate the problem, they just left it to the kids, and it turns out...she wasn't invited to some kid's birthday party. I still had hope because it looked like it would teach a lesson about how you can't be a part of everything, it sucks, but that's how it is. But wait....Francine then invites her to a THIRD GRADE party...just when it seemed like DW would learn something...WTF..

Not about DW, but remember that episode when george metthat autistic kid (forgot his name)? When George said, "Sorry, Wally, this part of the story doesn't involve you", I actually cheered, because for once, we would get a George episode that didn't have that annoying dummy...but then guess what...he appeared...

Roabe

[9]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 3

That_TV_Dude wrote:

I've also got to say, or Whom the Bell Tolls was awful. Francine was just a hypocrite and called Arthur mean and rubbed it in his face constantly. SHE'S NO BETTER! She's the meanest character on this show and yells and berates everyone, and I wanted to punch her teeth out. Also having DW not get punished for playing fake was bad and the parents didn't even try to do check ups on her voice at the doctor.

That's my personal least favorite episode, exactly for all the reasons you mentioned. That and the fact that Francine gets to fix everything in the end. It's obvious who that episode writer's favorite character was. I can't stand it when Francine gets to be the one to teach everyone else a lesson, because she should be the LAST person to teach people about morals. Honestly, I'd sooner listen to Muffy before I listened to Francine.

Another Francine moment that annoyed me was in the Jenna bedwetting episode (title escapes me). When everybody finds Jenna's pullup, Jenna tries to hide the fact it's hers by saying "Is there a baby here? Maybe we could give her a bottle", then Francine yells at her, "Don't you think that's a little harsh? ... You could have hurt somebody's feelings." Yet earlier in that episode, everybody speculates on why Jenna never goes to sleepovers, and Francine figures it's because she "gets homesick and can't be without mommy and daddy" in a really mocking tone, and they all start laughing. All this goes on literally behind Jenna's back, by the way.

So it's completely okay for Francine to make fun of people, but nobody else?

(sorry for all the edits, TV.com's post editor was being buggy for me)

Edited on 12/14/2011 9:00am
    Edited 4 total times.

That_TV_Dude

[10]Jan 23, 2012

Roabe wrote:

That_TV_Dude wrote:

That's my personal least favorite episode, exactly for all the reasons you mentioned. That and the fact that Francine gets to fix everything in the end. It's obvious who that episode writer's favorite character was. I can't stand it when Francine gets to be the one to teach everyone else a lesson, because she should be the LAST person to teach people about morals. Honestly, I'd sooner listen to Muffy before I listened to Francine.

Another Francine moment that annoyed me was in the Jenna bedwetting episode (title escapes me). When everybody finds Jenna's pullup, Jenna tries to hide the fact it's hers by saying "Is there a baby here? Maybe we could give her a bottle", then Francine yells at her, "Don't you think that's a little harsh? ... You could have hurt somebody's feelings." Yet earlier in that episode, everybody speculates on why Jenna never goes to sleepovers, and Francine figures it's because she "gets homesick and can't be without mommy and daddy" in a really mocking tone, and they all start laughing. All this goes on literally behind Jenna's back, by the way.

So it's completely okay for Francine to make fun of people, but nobody else?

(sorry for all the edits, TV.com's post editor was being buggy for me)

Yeah it's funny how Francine can make fun of others, but when others make fun of others, she berates them. Hypocrisy, thy name is Francine.

That_TV_Dude

[11]Feb 6, 2012

I have a few more to add.

The Rat Who Came to Dinner. I loved a majority of the episode and loved the Scooby Doo references in it as well as Mr. Ratburn's development. What kills it for me is how ALL of Arthur's friends turn against him for Mr. Ratburn staying at his house. They call him Teacher's Pet, insult him, make fun of him, and abandon Arthur. But then when everyone learns that Mr. Ratburn is staying at other houses, all of Arthur's friends come and ask for his help, and he gives advice! If I was Arthur, I wouldn't help them at all. The kids were real jerks, and even Buster, Arthur's best friend, turns against him so quickly. The kids shouldn't have gotten help from Arthur, but instead Arthur should've them to figure it out on their own or make them apologize constantly for how they acted. I wanted to punch them all out.

World Girls. I don't get this episode at all. There's really no moral at all in this episode at all. All it is is just materialism in this episode and nothing more. There was no real plot at all, and it was boring as well.

D.W. Blows the Whistle. Yet another bad D.W. episode, this one was to put it simply, ANNOYING. The fireman was a real moron for giving D.W. that whistle in the first place, and yet no other kid got one. Hearing that whistle go off constantly was aggravating as well. Why didn't the parents take the whistle and throw it away? I would've done that. The only good thing I could say is that D.W. at least learned her lesson at the end, but that's not saying much considering we had to put up with that whistle.

Roabe

[12]Feb 7, 2012
    • level: 3

That_TV_Dude wrote:
    The Rat Who Came to Dinner. I loved a majority of the episode and loved the Scooby Doo references in it as well as Mr. Ratburn's development. What kills it for me is how ALL of Arthur's friends turn against him for Mr. Ratburn staying at his house. They call him Teacher's Pet, insult him, make fun of him, and abandon Arthur.

Even Fern starts picking on Arthur, with her "Rat and Rat Junior" drawing of him and Mr. Ratburn. She's probably just jealous that Arthur was the teacher's pet and not her.

Between that ep and "Arthur's Big Hit", those two episodes were Joe Fallon's worst. He wrote a lot of bad ones in Season 4, actually.

That_TV_Dude

[13]Feb 7, 2012

Roabe wrote:

That_TV_Dude wrote:
    The Rat Who Came to Dinner. I loved a majority of the episode and loved the Scooby Doo references in it as well as Mr. Ratburn's development. What kills it for me is how ALL of Arthur's friends turn against him for Mr. Ratburn staying at his house. They call him Teacher's Pet, insult him, make fun of him, and abandon Arthur.

Even Fern starts picking on Arthur, with her "Rat and Rat Junior" drawing of him and Mr. Ratburn. She's probably just jealous that Arthur was the teacher's pet and not her.

Between that ep and "Arthur's Big Hit", those two episodes were Joe Fallon's worst. He wrote a lot of bad ones in Season 4, actually.

Yeah season 4 was kind of awful. Joe Fallon seems to really know how to write bad episodes.

gengar09876

[14]May 13, 2012

I have one more:

The episode where Buster stops liking Bionic Bunny all of a sudden. His sudden disinterest in BB came out of nowhere. These two are supposed to be best friends and they're willing to end their friendship over a TV show? Also, he ended up liking Bionic Bunny again in the next episode, so this was pointless.