Arthur Forums

Daily 4:00 PM on PBSIn Season

Serious issues

  • Avatar of wussycat

    wussycat

    [1]Aug 4, 2007
    • member since: 11/05/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 213

    Which episodes deal with serious issues?

    Has there been an episode about anorexia yet? If not, then I'm surprised, because there's a lot of concern about that issue nowadays.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CURLYHURLEY

    CURLYHURLEY

    [2]Aug 5, 2007
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 907
    Check the create your own character thread for a story about Annie Rexic
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pr0udZuTaRiAn

    pr0udZuTaRiAn

    [3]Aug 6, 2007
    • member since: 03/04/07
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 2,901
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lynnie_Lyn

    Lynnie_Lyn

    [5]Aug 7, 2007
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 338

    I think all episodes have humor in them, but yeah, there are some that are meant to be more "serious", like the "Bleep" episode, the fire episode, the Grandpa episode and the stealing episode. I'm sure there's a few more that I just can't think of right now.

    Nope, there hasn't been an episode about anorexia, and I kind of doubt they'd do one about it since the show is for young kids and eating disorders are primarily a teen and adult thing. Although I guess one of the kids might know a teen or adult who has an eating disorder. But even then, I don't know if the kids in the audience will understand since even in real life, kids usually don't know anything about eating disorders even if they know someone with one. Not that it's "hush hush" or taboo, it just isn't talked about in a family situation very often.

    There was however an episode where Arthur was gaining weight and couldn't fit into a suit he was suppose to wear for a school play. He had to get a "husky" suit instead, which was ugly. He refused to wear it. So he started excersising to drop a few pounds before the play. It did stress that diets aren't for kids. But that's the closest episode I can think of to an eating disorder.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wussycat

    wussycat

    [6]Aug 14, 2007
    • member since: 11/05/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 213
    I read somewhere that girls are getting eating disorders at much younger ages nowadays.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MaruGirl8

    MaruGirl8

    [7]Sep 11, 2007
    • member since: 09/12/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6
    April 9th is very serious.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of usagisakura

    usagisakura

    [8]Sep 13, 2007
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 138
    There hasn't been a drug/drinking episode either.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of agent_0042

    agent_0042

    [9]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 10,895
    Let's see, serious or controversial issues covered on the show...

    Theft (Accused or Real) - "Arthur Accused!," "Nerves of Steal"
    Death of a Pet - "So Long, Spanky"
    Dishonesty - "Arthur's Knee," "To Tibble the Truth"
    Asthma - "Buster's Breathless"
    Divorce and/or Potential Remarriage - Feelings About It - "1001 Dads," "Bitzi's Beau," "Bitzi's Break-Up"
    Head Lice - "The Lousy Week"
    Religion - "Arthur's Perfect Christmas"
    Blindness - "Prunella's Special Edition," "Prunella Sees the Light"
    Dyslexia - "The Boy with His Head in the Clouds"
    Bedwetting - "Jenna's Bedtime Blues"
    Tragedy/Potential Tragedy - April 9th
    Swearing - "'Bleep'"
    Childhood Obesity - "Arthur Weighs In"
    Food Allergy - "Binky Goes Nuts"
    Conservation - "Feeling Flush"
    Surgery - "Operation D.W.!"
    Cleanliness/Paranoia - "Germophobia"
    School Performance - Worries About - "It's a No-Brainer," "Prunella Packs it In," "Brain's Shocking Secret"

    And I'm sure there's more...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mdavids15

    Mdavids15

    [10]Dec 27, 2007
    • member since: 07/21/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 94

    Yes, I suppose they could make an episode about anorexia or drinking, but really I don't know if kids would understand the episode too much. Arthur really focuses on more moral things and things that can ormay have happened in a child's life. Keep in mind the age group on the show is about 3-8.Are there 6 year old girls that have eating disorders? Yes, im positive there are, however its pretty rare and most children in that age bracket would simplythink that their friend just doesn't eat at school (which isn't too uncommon) or goes to the bathroom every dayfor its main purpose, like a routine, and not to throw up.

    I myself may like to see an episode about child abuse. There's a problem on the rise today. Perhaps even an episode where one of Arthur's friends dad or family member goes to war. There are a lot of ideas out there.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of skellington8

    skellington8

    [11]Jan 27, 2008
    • member since: 11/04/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 253
    Mdavids15 wrote:

    Yes, I suppose they could make an episode about anorexia or drinking, but really I don't know if kids would understand the episode too much. Arthur really focuses on more moral things and things that can ormay have happened in a child's life. Keep in mind the age group on the show is about 3-8.Are there 6 year old girls that have eating disorders? Yes, im positive there are, however its pretty rare and most children in that age bracket would simplythink that their friend just doesn't eat at school (which isn't too uncommon) or goes to the bathroom every dayfor its main purpose, like a routine, and not to throw up.

    I myself may like to see an episode about child abuse. There's a problem on the rise today. Perhaps even an episode where one of Arthur's friends dad or family member goes to war. There are a lot of ideas out there.

    Yeah, Arthur mostly deals with 'common' issues.

    I made up some 'serious issue' episodes that's suitable for the show.

    Neglect: Fern's mother came home from a long day at work and starts ignoring Fern. Fern feels very alone and starts taking her anger out on some of the kids at school. She tells Francine what's going on and Francine tells Fern to talk to her mother about how she fells.

    Drugs/Alcohol: Sue Ellen, Prunella, Francine, Buster and Arthur are going to the Sugar Bowl when they see Molly and her crew drinking beer and smoking cigarrettes in an alley. Molly tells them that it's cool and that she stole the beer and cigarette's from her sister who goes to High School. The kids are about to try it, but then tells them how they feel and try's to tell them about the sideaffects.

    Anorexia: Muffy notices that her favorite celeberty has stopped eating to getskinny to fit in a dress. So Muffy trys the same thing. But her friends are starting to notice that she's tired, weak and not herself.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of allclearchalupa

    allclearchalupa

    [12]Jan 27, 2008
    • member since: 01/27/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 36
    skellington8 wrote:
    Mdavids15 wrote:

    Yes, I suppose they could make an episode about anorexia or drinking, but really I don't know if kids would understand the episode too much. Arthur really focuses on more moral things and things that can ormay have happened in a child's life. Keep in mind the age group on the show is about 3-8.Are there 6 year old girls that have eating disorders? Yes, im positive there are, however its pretty rare and most children in that age bracket would simplythink that their friend just doesn't eat at school (which isn't too uncommon) or goes to the bathroom every dayfor its main purpose, like a routine, and not to throw up.

    I myself may like to see an episode about child abuse. There's a problem on the rise today. Perhaps even an episode where one of Arthur's friends dad or family member goes to war. There are a lot of ideas out there.

    Yeah, Arthur mostly deals with 'common' issues.

    I made up some 'serious issue' episodes that's suitable for the show.

    Neglect: Fern's mother came home from a long day at work and starts ignoring Fern. Fern feels very alone and starts taking her anger out on some of the kids at school. She tells Francine what's going on and Francine tells Fern to talk to her mother about how she fells.

    Drugs/Alcohol: Sue Ellen, Prunella, Francine, Buster and Arthur are going to the Sugar Bowl when they see Molly and her crew drinking beer and smoking cigarrettes in an alley. Molly tells them that it's cool and that she stole the beer and cigarette's from her sister who goes to High School. The kids are about to try it, but then tells them how they feel and try's to tell them about the sideaffects.

    Anorexia: Muffy notices that her favorite celeberty has stopped eating to getskinny to fit in a dress. So Muffy trys the same thing. But her friends are starting to notice that she's tired, weak and not herself.



    I like most of those ideas, but i dont think that they'd have molly drink. Even though its sometimes hard to believe, she is only a 4th grader. Maybe someone who has an older sibling....
    I like the story about Muffy and the famous anerexic though. That's a good one.
    I think arthurs done a pretty good job covering issues for young kids.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of biggestlostfan

    biggestlostfan

    [13]Jan 28, 2008
    • member since: 03/27/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,817
    good ideas, but i dont think they could show those on a show like arthur, those are more for preteens, not 3-8 yr olds

    it would be cool if they did like "arthur grows up" kinda like rugrats and all grown up. to show the more preteen/teen issues
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mdavids15

    Mdavids15

    [14]Jan 31, 2008
    • member since: 07/21/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 94

    Good ideas. For the drinking one perhaps Arthur's neighbor Alberto could be the one that drinks (hes 13 according to the one episode.) Molly really isn't as much as a tough person than she used to be anyways.

    I guess they could make a spinoff series like Arthur grows up or something, but typically that ruins the show and the rugrats aren't successful anymore for making that move. Good thought though, believe it or not quite a few preteens and teens like this show so that is an idea to make a series dealing with thepreteen-midteenissues (dating, getting a job, drugs, etc.)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of math11

    math11

    [15]Mar 24, 2008
    • member since: 09/21/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 68
    skellington8 wrote:
    Mdavids15 wrote:

    Yes, I suppose they could make an episode about anorexia or drinking, but really I don't know if kids would understand the episode too much. Arthur really focuses on more moral things and things that can ormay have happened in a child's life. Keep in mind the age group on the show is about 3-8.Are there 6 year old girls that have eating disorders? Yes, im positive there are, however its pretty rare and most children in that age bracket would simplythink that their friend just doesn't eat at school (which isn't too uncommon) or goes to the bathroom every dayfor its main purpose, like a routine, and not to throw up.

    I myself may like to see an episode about child abuse. There's a problem on the rise today. Perhaps even an episode where one of Arthur's friends dad or family member goes to war. There are a lot of ideas out there.

    Yeah, Arthur mostly deals with 'common' issues.

    I made up some 'serious issue' episodes that's suitable for the show.

    Neglect: Fern's mother came home from a long day at work and starts ignoring Fern. Fern feels very alone and starts taking her anger out on some of the kids at school. She tells Francine what's going on and Francine tells Fern to talk to her mother about how she fells.

    Drugs/Alcohol: Sue Ellen, Prunella, Francine, Buster and Arthur are going to the Sugar Bowl when they see Molly and her crew drinking beer and smoking cigarrettes in an alley. Molly tells them that it's cool and that she stole the beer and cigarette's from her sister who goes to High School. The kids are about to try it, but then tells them how they feel and try's to tell them about the sideaffects.

    Anorexia: Muffy notices that her favorite celeberty has stopped eating to getskinny to fit in a dress. So Muffy trys the same thing. But her friends are starting to notice that she's tired, weak and not herself.

    title : loseing grip

    the issues are Drug/Alcohol and Neglect : When muffys Family and friends are to bussy for her she fells alone , so she starts up drinking and her friends notice she is changeing will they save muffy in time before they lose her forever ?( they are tennagers )

    Edited on 03/24/2008 9:06am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of berberdog

    berberdog

    [17]Apr 4, 2008
    • member since: 12/27/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 288

    Emo/Hurting yourself: Francine notices that after her older sisiter's boyfriend breaks up with her, her sister starts cutting her wrists. She tells her parents, the parents talk to her sister, and she stops cutting herself.

    Smoking: Arthur and Buster are in the school parking lot when they find a pack of cigarettes tossed out by somebody from the highway. Buster temps Arthur to smoke one, he gives in, so they go to a store and buy a match. Buster smokes it, coughs, and gives it to Arthur who also smokes it and coughs. The next day, Arthur invites Buster over and they try to smoke the rest in Arthur's room. D.W. comes in and catches them in the act. She tells Arthur's parents and they are talked to. Then Arthur and Buster promise that they'll never smoke again.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mdavids15

    Mdavids15

    [18]Apr 7, 2008
    • member since: 07/21/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 94

    Dating (yes there is a good amount of dating in the 3rd grade believe it or not)

    A cute, new boy comes to elmwood and Muffy falls completely for him. She wants to seem grown up and make him want her and she reads her teen magazines and sees all the articles about dating and flirting. She takes in all of this advice and flirts and talks to him all the time, but he doesn't want to date. One day he just gets fed up with it all and tells her that he doesn't want her and this breaks Muffy's heart. She goes to talk with her mom and her mom tells her that dating is something older kids do and she is still too young and should enjoy her childhood while she can. The next day Muffy talks to him and apologizes for everything and they become friends.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of McBanka

    McBanka

    [19]Apr 12, 2008
    • member since: 12/29/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 374
    agent_0042 wrote:

    Religion - "Arthur's Perfect Christmas"

    Well, that episode wasn't really dedicated to talking about religion but more of the diversity of it.

    An episode I'm still awaiting is an episode to bash those annoying dolls... BRATZ. I hate them and it turns girls starting from the age of 6 into trampy sluts(no offence). Even though there was 1 episode on appearance (D.W wanting to get earings) there should be another dealing with this issue.

    But on issues that are possible, episodes on:
    -Vertically challenged people
    -War in the middle east (Common. Practicably ever child in every nation knows about it)
    -Anorexia
    -Sex and sexual abuse
    -Drugs and drug abuse
    -Gangs and organized crime
    -Racism (if that's ever possible with animals)
    -Sexual orientation. (Such as Heterosexuals,homosexuals etc)

    Well some of those might feel extreme but I think drugs and drug abuse is the most possible. But all of this stuff does happen in real life at the same time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of iRuleiPod

    iRuleiPod

    [20]Jun 1, 2008
    • member since: 12/02/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 266
    McBanka wrote:
    agent_0042 wrote:

    Religion - "Arthur's Perfect Christmas"

    Well, that episode wasn't really dedicated to talking about religion but more of the diversity of it.

    An episode I'm still awaiting is an episode to bash those annoying dolls... BRATZ. I hate them and it turns girls starting from the age of 6 into trampy sluts(no offence). Even though there was 1 episode on appearance (D.W wanting to get earings) there should be another dealing with this issue.

    But on issues that are possible, episodes on:
    -Vertically challenged people
    -War in the middle east (Common. Practicably ever child in every nation knows about it)
    -Anorexia
    -Sex and sexual abuse
    -Drugs and drug abuse
    -Gangs and organized crime
    -Racism (if that's ever possible with animals)
    -Sexual orientation. (Such as Heterosexuals,homosexuals etc)

    Well some of those might feel extreme but I think drugs and drug abuse is the most possible. But all of this stuff does happen in real life at the same time.


    No way would Arthur do anything about sex. ITS A CHILDEN'S SHOW!!! Besides, if they do an episode about Bratz, they could (and probably would) get sued.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.