Arthur Forums

Weekdays 12:00 AM on PBSIn Season

What is it that gets us all hooked

agent_0042

[21]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 66
    The quality of the writing, the music, the animation, and the interesting characters. Also, the offbeat nature to some of the stories.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dancingbeatle

[22]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 45
    For me it has to be the character's personalities, the lessons that it teaches kids, and the overall wholesomeness of it.

aguaminte77

[23]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 8
    for me its the rockin cast.. i mean i love how it incorporates famous actors and it makes it seem as though elwood city is everyone's home town its very universal.

she_is_wicked

[24]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 19
    I started watching this show when I was 5, when the first episode aired on PBS. I have no idea why I liked it so much, I have no idea why I still like it so much . . . It's funny, I can appreciate that even as a 15 year old . . . but its more than that. Maybe its just growing up with teh show

mr_moron_man

[25]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 2

BECUASE OF BUSTER!! HOORAY FOR BUSTER! buster is the best charter on the show!

beckaboop

[26]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    I love love love the theme song! If I'm flipping channels or in another room and I here the theme song I just have to stop and watch- then I get glued to the TV for the rest of the show! I used to watch Arthur when it first started so it brings back so many memories and I love that my little sister watches it now- we watch it together all the time. It teaches children good values and as someone else mentioned they add in funny things for older people!

Kyo_Tohru_4ever

[27]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 6
    The theme song, personalities and lessons. everything

iRuleiPod

[28]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 9
    I love everything about it

Mdavids15

[29]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 4
    whats strange is that I never liked this show as a kid, but just a few years ago I started watching it and thought it was cool so I started watching it all the time.

lazyjay

[30]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 30
    I never watched this when I was a child... Sesame Street was still pretty new when I was young. I started watching Arthur with my daughter and later more often by myself. It does a good job of distilling issues to their basic components without being to "preachy" for the younger viewers, and it includes a fair amount of humor for us older folks as well.

This show provides a good balance and, well, it's a guilty plearure for a cartoon adicted adult.

Nyachu

[31]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 4
    I think part of the "hook" of Arthur, and not just the animated series but the books as well, is the sense of reality about it. You even forget they're anthropomorphized at times. ^^; All the issues explored in the series are real issues to kids, and the more recent episodes even manage to keep up with the times (I nearly died laughing when I saw Buster in the movie theater with a cell phone). There's something about the series that just reminds us all of childhood, I think.

Naylte

[32]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 10

mr_moron_man wrote:
    I know exacly what you mean. Sometimes when The Simpsons come on i watch Arthur instead. But i dont feel stupid about it lol. I bet its becuase we have memories watching it as a kid.

I don't blame you for switching over. Simpsons is alright for a few episodes but I think it's jumped the shark. Effectively Arthur could be put in a nutshell as being the sanitised and morally-correct version of the Simpsons, but there's a lot more than that; especially when you consider that The Simpsons make Discworld look like Shangri-La.