Arthur Forums

Daily 4:00 PM on PBSIn Season

When will they "tackle" religion?

McBanka

[1]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 16
    I mean they have done almost every theme. Bullying,Race, Death ect but when will they do an episode on religion. I mean it would be fun to see Arthur dressed up as the pope and buster be buddist.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

24chevyfan

[2]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 12

i dont think they will.

you said they did death but that was with a bird. they should do one with a person. it would be a good lesson for dealing with death

dancingbeatle

[3]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 45
    Well can't you count the episodes where they mentioned Christmas or Chanukkah.

McBanka

[4]Dec 3, 2007
    dancingbeatle wrote:
    Well can't you count the episodes where they mentioned Christmas or Chanukkah.

I mean in depth. Like they did mention those things (all though christmas and Christianity have nothing in common) but I mean they actually refer to the religion. Like as mentioned before what if they reveal Buster is a buddist and see the reaction from the kids.

agent_0042

[5]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 66
    They won't. You're forgetting that this show airs on PBS; they've already gotten away with more things than anyone ever would have expected. I don't think it's going to be happening.

McBanka

[6]Dec 16, 2007
    agent_0042 wrote:
    They won't. You're forgetting that this show airs on PBS; they've already gotten away with more things than anyone ever would have expected. I don't think it's going to be happening.

What do you mean, "they wont" and already gotten away with things. I don't mean an episode where they would say "god" alot or go to in depth with religious themes but just showing how it effects society. Or take a Christian denomination religion such as the Jehovah's Witnesses. An episode where one moves into town and gets prejudiced at first but then they accept the child life style and beliefs such as not saluting the flag.

Mdavids15

[7]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 4

I think they haven't "tackled" religion yet due to the fact that there are a lot of people and alliances that would like to pitch a fit over religion being in the show (i.e. Muslim moms getting mad about seeing Christianity being discussed, even if not in depth.) Marc Brown and the show creators aren't really high roller risk takers, and they'd probably be crossing the line. Plus it is PBS. There are plenty of religious cartoons out there, but there is a reason why they are not aired or aired often.

millerem99

[9]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 51
    "Religion" is way too controversial a topic; transsexuality would be lighter fare for them. In regards to particular beliefs, public television likes to stick to the mantra, "If you ignore it, then it doesn't exist."

Mdavids15

[10]Jan 12, 2008
    millerem99 wrote:
    "Religion" is way too controversial a topic; transsexuality would be lighter fare for them. In regards to particular beliefs, public television likes to stick to the mantra, "If you ignore it, then it doesn't exist."
    I don't see too much transsexuality in third grade so I'm not sure if thats the appropriate topic for an Arthur episode. I don't think Marc Brown would OK that idea either since he's an old school type of guy and transsexuality wasn't a big thing back in the 50s and 60s

VaMpIrEsSuCk

[11]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 11

As much as I think Marc Brown will enver okay an episode on religion, I think it would be a great idea to see them create an episode about it. Today, most families aren't religious anymore and most little kids don't know what to believe in. Id on't think they should go in depth on a particular religion becuase that could be interpretted as trying to convert them, but I think seeing how religion affects people's lives differently at different ages could be very beneficial.

Mdavids15

[12]Jan 14, 2008

yes parents wouldn't want to get the impression that Arthur is trying to convert their children to one religion. That would stir much controversey and be an axe in the back to the show for good.

Maybe an episode where the kids have to write a report on what their religion is and what they do for it. Then kind of glimpse at every kids paper and see what they do because of their religion.

agent_0042

[13]Jan 19, 2008
    I think, ultimately they don't need to cover it anyway, because it's redundant. They already did it in Arthur's Perfect Christmas. Francine's family is Jewish and they celebrate Hannukah. They were seen celebrating Hannukah. Arthur and his family are Christian. They celebrate Christmas and were shown attending church. Buster and his Mom are either agnostic or out-of-practice Christians because of the divorce. Buster creates "Baxter Day" for her so she doesn't have to run herself ragged on Christmas. Brain and his family celebrate Kwanzaa and may or may not have any religious affiliation otherwise.

coolchris44

[14]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 22
    they sort of did with the bar mitsvah episode!

agent_0042

[15]Jan 29, 2008
    Yeah, really just an extension of the idea of Francine being Jewish.

lazyjay

[16]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 30
    To take the analysis too far...

Religion was addressed in Buster's Amish Mismatch. To be more accurate "religious fanaticism of new converts" was addressed. Buster was easily pulled into a non-mainstream way of life with his near-fanatical attempt to adhere to the Amish lifestyle. Of course in the end everytrhing went back to normal and Buster learned to not take things too far. It was an interesting contrivance and provided a perspective on different religiously influenced viewpoints and the affect they can have on people looking for something to believe in. Personally, I think it was a commentary on the religious fanaticism that led the murderous mindset of those who enacted the 9/11 masacres.

See, I told you I was taking the analysis too far.