Arthur Forums

Daily 4:00 PM on PBSIn Season

Wow, this show sure has jumped the shark...

gengar09876

[1]May 12, 2009
    • level: 2
    Anyone else agree?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

liukangx

[2]May 19, 2009
    • level: 3
    Yeah, all of the sudden saying Muffy has a brother is really stupid, if they added him in like 2nd season maybe, but now in the what 6th season? they add a brother that never exsisted before.

Roabe

[3]May 20, 2009

Actually Muffy had a brother as early as 1983, when the book "Arthur Goes to Camp" was published. He appears in a family portrait that Muffy brought with her for some reason. It's funny, because both he and Mr. Crosswire sport horn-rimmed glasses in the picture, and Mr. Crosswire looked more like Francine's dad.

Another reference to her brother was in "Arthur's Pefect Christmas" special (premiered in 2000), which showed a stocking next to Muffy's with "Chip" written on it.

It's also rumored that he appeared in one of the old Arthur PC games, but I have no clue which.

Edited on 05/20/2009 9:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

agent_0042

[4]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 66
    The shark has been circling this program for a long time but never seems to be able to quite fully get its teeth in. Some of the most recent season was junk, but I was actually quite impressed by some of the most recent episodes. Perhaps the most disturbing thing is that they are now apparently airing content in Canada before it is made available in the U.S.

Oreno5267

[5]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 6

Although the program is primarily produced by WGBH of Boston, Massachusetts, the production of the animated portions of the show—which includes the writing and voice acting—is done in Montreal, Quebec, and South Korea. The animation of the show is done at AKOM Production Company. The entire cast of Arthur lives in Montreal or Toronto, where Cookie Jar Entertainment's studios are located. The only segments of the show that are filmed outside Canada are the "A Word from Us Kids" interstitials, filmed at elementary schools or other educational sites in the Boston area. Beginning in Season 11, the "A Word From Us Kids" segment was replaced by a segment called "Postcards from You", where a couple of live-action videos sent in by young viewers were spotlighted per episode.

from wikipedia

Roabe

[6]Jun 22, 2009

Correct. But the writing of the episodes is actually done mostly in Los Angeles. Joe Fallon and Ken Scarborough, who were both the head writers of "Arthur", live in the L.A. area. Peter K. Hirsch, who is currently the head writer of the show, lives in New York.

Wikipedia needs to correct that info.

Edited on 06/22/2009 8:09pm

archDuke01

[7]Jul 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    agent_0042 wrote:
    Perhaps the most disturbing thing is that they are now apparently airing content in Canada before it is made available in the U.S.

... Why is that so disturbing?

agent_0042

[8]Jul 18, 2009
    Because the U.S. always got the episodes first before. Why the sudden change?

joeyfun

[9]Aug 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    Man, I haven't watched this show in a long time, I didn't even know Muffy got a brother! But I can't say if it has jumped the shark.

CDCB

[10]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 34

Well, to me, the show is still watchable, but it just doesn't have that same spark it used to have. The writers seem to have run out of ideas or at least be in that beginning stage of it to me. Anyone else agree?

agent_0042

[11]Sep 11, 2009
    Well, it's like I said. The show still has charm at times, but other times it feels distinctly like the spark is missing. They would have done well to plunk down whatever was needed to keep their best writers, but the best creative talent that the show had is now writing for programs like Martha Speaks (which, for the record, is an excellent show.)
    Edited on 09/11/2009 4:14pm

CartoonFreak13

[12]Sep 16, 2009
    • level: 9
    Yes I agree, I like the older episodes much better than the newer ones. But this show is still watchable.

firetoon12

[13]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 14
    the old season 1 to 11 have better story lines, every single characters are in the show. the newer is just Arthur friends not arthur

firetoon12

[14]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 14
    they removed the theme after season 11 and no more mom , dad, dw, pal , grandma and lunch lady. did you guys miss all of it

MrCellophane1

[15]Aug 23, 2011
    • level: 7

Yeah, I pretty much try to avoid any episode after season 6.

skbrettbug

[16]Nov 9, 2013
    • level: 19
    Arthur jumped the shark a while ago. I don't know if it's because I'm now 17 and past the realm of this show, or what, but I can honestly say that it's not as good anymore. Too much Kate and Pal and Amigo and Vicita and not enough of the nuclear family stuff like I so loved.

thebestofall007

[17]Dec 24, 2013
    • level: 4

It has definitely jumped the shark for sure. It seems all the producers want to do now is milk the show for what it's worth like Nickelodeon is doing to SpongeBob. I love Artie and always will, but I'm not IN LOVE with it anymore, and even in light of that I say it's high time for PBS to put it out of it's misery as it's run it's course (especially since I up till now was a loyal donor to PBS, over $1000 at one time, and to see it go the way it's going now is insulting and a piss poor value for that money). When producers resort to turning a cartoon like this into a "movie", it has definitely jumped the shark, and two words describe what has/is happening/happened with the so-called "movie" and the flash trash: CASH COW. Here's another one that describes the "movie": A blatant CASH IN. It's also wearing out its welcome, too.

If I have kids or babysit any, I'd MORE THAN HONORED to pass it on to them from my hard drive (season 15 and down), as I have all of the episodes (including the specials) except season 16-present, or "Arthur's Missing Pal", the CGI eyesore "movie" knockoff of the Arthur's Lost Dog episode of season one. Yep, 40+ gigabytes of goodness.

Edited on 06/02/2014 2:11pm
    Edited 6 total times.

BlackTulip009

[18]Oct 8, 2014
    • level: 12

I'm so glad it's finally ended--and I say that as a LONGtime fan, who hated seeing the quality decline so drastically throughout the most recent seasons. I mean, if they were going to just bloody pretend that these kids are kept in elementary school forever and never grow older...there was only so much more they could do without pointlessly repeating themselves. The animation, needless to say, looked far better in the hand-drawn style than the bloody Flash that has become ubiquitous. WHY?! Why would they switch? Yes, they tried to retain the distinctive Arthur look, but you can easily tell the difference nonetheless. I'd welcome an "All Grown Up" version of the show, but only if they make it believable whilst recapturing the magic of the majority of Arthur...and not have everyone acting out-of-character all the time, doing and saying inconsistent or contradictory things. Dx

Like everyone else, I really hated the last few episodes. Well, except for the "story-thief Fern" one. That was good. I like all of "her" eps. But the thing with Muffy and Francine treating vegetarianism as a competition...I dunno, I guess Sue Ellen taught them a good lesson. But Muffy's icky little meat-fest bugged me a little. (And they used Fern as one of the attendees?! I was thinking, "Sheesh, of all the students, she's the one I'd most expect to be vegetarian. They've definitely lost touch and begun messing up.")

I've always disliked how they never acknowledge that the characters are all anthropomorphic animals. I think they even used the word "human" once or twice...when "humanoid" would be more accurate. :p I mean, Sue Ellen the "vegetarian" is a cat--an obligate carnivore. That might not necessarily hold true for anthros as it does for "normal" animals, which they obviously have (Pal and such.) But it was just weird to have these animal children of various species talking about eating other animals as though they were humans (yes, humans are animals, but...y'know what I mean? Nonhuman animals. What if they had a cow, pig, duck, or chicken kid at Elwood Elementary?! o.O Do "prey" species like that not occur as anthros? Would anthro pigs eat feral pigs??) They went kind of "Rugrats" on us by showing that non-anthro/"feral" animals AND babies can evidently think and communicate on a level just about equal with most anthro animal-people. So the whole notion of one species or type being able to eat another gets muddled in an unclear concept like this. The writers always wanted to make everything relate directly to humans without using humans, so they just blithely ignored the characters' species. That episode therefore felt rather strange. [Also, Arthur is nothing like an aardvark and a LOT like a capybara. Originally he was an aardvark in the first book, but apparently people thought he was too creepy-looking for kids to relate to, so Brown changed his head!]

They were really reaching and getting redundant with a lot of the more recent ones...to say nothing of Arthur pushing things to unreasonable lengths with his painfully unfunny "sheepdog" joke about Sue Ellen. C'moooooon. We needed another anti-bullying episode that badly?

Edited on 10/08/2014 5:52pm
    Edited 6 total times.