Arthur

Daily 4:00 PM on PBS Premiered Sep 02, 1996 In Season

mysterytipster

Arthur Fan Reviews (192)

• Hell will freeze over before I let the mortician pry this show from my cold, dead, wrinkly hands! He can have season 16-present, though.

This show dominates my hard drive now (nearly 40 gigs for this gem!) as I have every episode in my collection apart from "Arthur's Missing Pal" and season 16-present's recycled-plot flash trash eyesores, of which I've written a separate thorough review of. I also have the two special episodes, too (It's Only Rock n' Roll and Arthur's Perfect Christmas). Season 16 to present is the only gripe I have against this show as of now and season 16 is the ONLY one I GENUINELY HATE with a passion on all fronts (not just the animation, either) and the new seasons after it can go to hell as well (and please don't give me that "be glad it's still on" dodge like a blind lemming fanboy, either, while watching season after season decline with cognitive dissonance!). There are some good episodes in season 16-present here and there like Last Tough Customer, Read and Flumbergast, and Night of the Tibble, but that bad animation is still hard to come to terms with and ruins their potential by not giving life to the story (which is animation's whole purpose in any cartoon unless you like soundtracks or reading books, which are NOT the only things I would want to watch in a cartoon). It's the PUBLIC'S money PBS receives and that's the real reality, and that crappy animation, character development, writing, and all the other issues we are having with the new episodes is a waste of that money, no matter how much or little they spent, folks. It's also a crying shame they ruined Artie's character and turned him into a total douche in the later episodes, and as well as having them just recycle the same plotlines over and over. Moreover, there are not enough good, original episodes to make me want to continue viewing the show from PBS, and I'll pass on season 16-present's garbage.

With that tirade aside...

I LOVED The Busy World of Richard Scarry before this when I had cable TV, and STILL love that beautifully animated, memorable story-filled masterpiece (NOT that "Hooray for Huckle" or "Busytown Mysteries" garbage that came later, either! I'd rather read Richard Scarry's books instead of watching that).

I was a migrant worker who picked cherries and apples in the orchards growing up and moved to areas with no cable TV and had weak reception thanks to the mountains blocking the signals. Luckily, the strongest station was a PBS station and Artie was the next best thing to Richard Scarry and Franklin (and I couldn't have made a better choice!). As I got older, I've come to cherish these gems even more along with Arthur (now that more of them have been cancelled or butchered with that inappropriately used flash trash and CGI animation).

There's something for the whole family, not just for the kids (and since when was it ever just a "kid's" show, people?), and that's what sets it apart from other "kid's" shows! You know you have a GREAT "kids" show when kids can watch it and it doesn't drive older siblings and parents nuts. You know you have a GREAT "kid's" show when you catch older siblings and some adults sneak peaking it ;-) If I had kids of my own or had to babysit them, I wouldn't feel in any way shape or form like I'm watching this gem because "I'm stuck with the kids", and will be passing the season 15 down episodes to my kids from my hard drive and from my DVD collection.

LOL, I'd be asking THEM to play it and would be more than honored to watch it with them.

Adults MAKE "kid's" shows, adults ACT in them, adults PRODUCE them, ADULTS are the biggest SUPPORTERS of them BAR-NONE.

WHY is it an unpardonable sin for adults to ENJOY them??? Why the stigma??

To all those "old" biddies out there who tell us to "grow up", who think we are "abnormal" or "mentally ill" or some other pejorative like that and are dismissive: EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT, get cancer, and take a hike!! You have sucked on one too many of life's lemons and have become sour (and bitter if you also include the peel). You're too "mature" for your own good and just plain snobbish and stuck up.

That's all...