Astro Boy (2004)

Cartoon Network (ended 2004)

Astro Boy (2004) Fan Reviews (5)

• Tetsuwan Atomu = Mighty Atom!

In 2003 a new Astro Boy anime series was created to celebrate the birth date of Astro Boy. Under the original english name (instead of Tetsuwan Atom), it kept the same visual style as the original Astro Boy manga and anime, but was revisioned and modernized with more lush, high-quality, near-theatrical animation and visuals. It combined the playfulness of the early anime with the darker, more serious and dramatic Science Fiction themes of the manga and the 80's anime. The anime broadcasted in Japan (on the same date as Astro's birth in the manga, April 7, 2003) with lots of fanfare. Directed by Kazuya Konaka and written by Chiaki J. Konaka.

The show was eventually picked up by Sony Pictures Entertainment. However, Kids WB picked up the broadcasting rights. Fans balked at the Dub, as the orignal score was changed and was given horrible scheduling. It was bounced back and forth between Kids WB and Cartoon Network until it was eventually cancelled. The entire series is currently available on DVD in one single boxset. However the US set is not fully complete, with one episode in the set being omitted "Eternal Boy" and repaced with a clip show episode. This is because the episode features a character very much akin to Peter Pan, which if had been included, may have caused copyright issues with Disney.

A trailer from 2001 made for this series when it was in development presented several major differences from the final series. With different designs for characters such as Atlas. With the characters speaking in english (with voices completely different to the voices that would eventually end up in the US dub) and animation not found in the final series. Which presents an interesting view of what originally was planned for this series.
  • Return of a classic Japanese anime character is marred by episodes shown out of order in the US and with half of the series not even shown here. Despite this, it is still a favorite show of mine.

Despit the review that follows, I do like this series and own the DVD release.
    I had high hopes for the series when It was announced that the 2003 incarnation of Tetsuwan Atom (Mighty Atom or Iron Arm Atom) aka Astro Boy was going to be broadcast over here. However the series is marred by Sony and KidsWB/Cartoon Network in its release here. Half of the series is never shown and those that were shown are shown pretty much haphazardly. You have characters appearing in stories before their origin or intro episodes - Zoran, for example, appears in the Pluto two-parter, which aired before her origin episode.
    Sadly, this state of affairs is continued on the DVD release. Only Discs 4 and 5 have anything approaching the original episode order. When I have some time, I will submit edits that will include the correct episode order that come straight from the Japanese co-producer/broadcaster's website.
  • its ok i guess

7.3
    I like it but why would the mother want his son to be a robot? All i know is that astro boy go save people and maybe also robots.i wonder if astro boy go to heaven or hell. maybe all robots go to the garage heaven to be reused but the is ok nice animation.
  • It's a little different. But it's still good.

Definatly not as good as the original, but my kids love it. I think it is cool that I used to watch the original 80s series when i was 5 years old and now my son who is 5 watches the new one. I did find a few things dissapointing,like where did Daddy Walrus go?? And Dr Elefun?? Hmmm??
  • I think personally that this was a beutifully made show. I do not know why people were turn off by this because it is a remake classic. I think this version is even better than the classic. If this is out on DVD, please check the series out.

I think this series is acuatually very well done. Sure the characters look goofy but is not by any means a comedy, it is more dramatic. It seems a lot of detail was put into the animation. I am really disappointed that the series seems to have been cancel so suddenly. I do not think the whole story was ever finished. I really wish that this can be reaired again.