At Last the 1948 Show

ITV (ended 1968)

At Last the 1948 Show Fan Reviews (1)

6.6
  • This review relates to 'The Four Yorkshiremen' sketch, which is an absolute comedy classic, copied many times over the years, but I like this version with Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Marty Feldman.

'The Four Yorkshiremen' sketch from At Last the 1948 Show is a comedy classic. It is a very underrated sketch, and usually wheeled out in compilation shows, the usual 'Top 50' or 'Top 10' format, and not generally scoring very well.
    I would rate it as an equal to the Monty Python 'Dead Parrot' sketch, as it is very well scripted, starting with 'we drank out of cracked cups at home'. Each of the four Yorkshiremen try to out-do each other regarding their poor upbringings and the adversities they have had to overcome. The sublimely ludicrous climax (courtesy of John Cleese) started 'we had to wake up half an hour before we went to bed, then...' I won't spoil the ending.
    A really funny sketch, which has been copied over the years by Monty Python and others, but I enjoy Marty Feldman's part in this early example. I've seen this on Youtube, and it's worth a look; perhaps sowing the early seeds for what was to become Monty Python's off the wall style of humour.