Episode 1x02 'A Girl by Any Other Name' Discussion Thread

dpebbleson

[1]Oct 4, 2013
    • level: 23

Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 1x02 "A Girl by Any Other Name" here.

Rules are simple:

- Spoilers are not allowed;

- No bashing of characters or the cast;

- Discussion is encouraged, but arguing is not;

- We shall show no tolerance to trolls and suchlike;

Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Oct 6, 2013
    • level: 25

After 2 episodes it still feels like the show is setting things up. There were some interesting things, the underwater opening titles for a start, talk about giving away the ending!!! I liked how Jason clocked the name Medusa, so obviously did pay attention in history at school after all! It was also good to see what exactly Jason and co get up to when they're not being heroes. Though if that's how Hercules goes about his life i'm shocked he has a house!!

Jason is an interesting character, appears to have limited sword skills (as shown last week) get is the master of various ninja type moves and knows how to stab things when they get too close. I don't buy him as an action hero yet, a bit too bland for my tastes. Plus if watching these types of shows has taught me anything, don't try to rescue a damson in distress!!!

Disappointed to see once again that the women are the villains I know Medusa isn't yet, but how long will it be before she goes all Morgana on us and we start seeing snakes?!

ColinRowlands

[3]Oct 6, 2013
    • level: 3
    Given that he comes from modern times, him being better at unarmed combat than with a sword is actually quite logical.

As far as women being villains, I think it is a bit too soon to make that assumption, but in any case would it actually be a bad thing as the baddies are often more interesting characters than the heroes.

I would suspect that they will not rush the snakes with Medusa, the more they delay it, the longer it gives people to get to know and like pre-snake Medusa and thus making the eventual change have more of an impact when it happens.

dpebbleson

[4]Oct 7, 2013
    • level: 23
    I think this episode was somewhat less interesting than the last one. Maybe they're too early putting too much emphasis on the 'Who am I?" story. Maybe if they let it unroll as time goes, as they did in Merlin, it would feel less forced.

Medusa seems to be new Morgana. A new tragic character with good intentions paving the way to hell.

I too am shocked how Hercules has a house I am in fact more curious to see how the royals get involved into all of this, as they weren't featured much in this episode, except for one fleeting moment of Ariadne.

And indeed it'd be nice if women were not only villains. Besides I'm worried human rights associations and feminists might sue TPTB because Jason virtually beat all those women mercilessly

ACDiNosey

[5]Oct 7, 2013
    • level: 28
    I must admit I didn't watch the episode till the end, and I only watched the beginning with one eye, but seriously, how chivalrous can Jason get?!?!?! I don't know any man in the modern world who is that sexy and willing to throw himself in a pit to save a woman he doesn't know... Come on TPTB, a bit of realism doesn't hurt from time to time

illegalferret

[6]Oct 8, 2013
    • level: 25

ACDiNosey wrote:
    I don't know any man in the modern world who is that sexy and willing to throw himself in a pit to save a woman he doesn't know...

Maybe that's because they're all stuck in ye olde Greece?!!

boom-moo

[7]Oct 8, 2013
    • level: 75
    illegalferret wrote:

ACDiNosey wrote:
    I don't know any man in the modern world who is that sexy and willing to throw himself in a pit to save a woman he doesn't know...

Maybe that's because they're all stuck in ye olde Greece?!!

I think part of the reason might be his will to chase his destiny wherever it may be hiding from him. The Oracle tells him that he is forging it and on its right path already, so I guess he goes along with anything that life throws at him in his desperate search for that identity/destiny that eludes him (and seeing how otherwise boring his daily life is, I wouldn't blame him ) Yes, he is too heroic to be true but his recklessness gets counterbalanced by his lack of most skills that one would name a hero for. I liked him saying that he doesn't fit and feels out of place and purposeless, he seemed to blend in too well in the first episode.

I liked the CGI again, the satyrs (was it?) were well made.

Hercules likes the tavern, we are getting interesting patrons over here Lol This episode felt way slower than the pilot to me, but at least Medusa is in the picture already so that's something.

JJuna

[8]Oct 10, 2013
    • level: 11

I'm coming to this a bit late, so will not be commenting in too much detail. The thing that struck me about this episode even more forcibly than episode 1, was its similarity to Merlin. It made it hard to concentrate on the show itself. Chase scenes through Puzzlewood didn't help. It brought all kinds of memories back. Comparisons are unavoidable because so far this show seems like a pale imitation of its predecessor. The overall concept of a young man in a new environment searching for his 'destiny' is all too familiar. In fact, there are too many parallels between the two series to mention. I think that the symmetry between Merlin ending up in the present day, while Jason goes back to the past, may be TPTB's idea of a joke. However, I think in episode 3 that may change. The show does need to forge its own identity. I'm also not sure how I feel about their pick and mix approach to the myths. Does it matter, for example, that schoolchildren may watch this and 'learn' that Jason killed the Minotaur in Atlantis, when in the mythology Theseus achieved this in Crete? I'm sure that there will be many examples like this. I know that the show makes no claims to accuracy. It's purely entertainment but still...

Edited on 10/10/2013 2:49pm
    Edited 2 total times.